• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
So, the Yellow Devil weak point is his eye, any idea of what would Ridley's weak point could be or do you guys think that his entire body is going to be vulnerable ?
possibly his wings, like in other m the more damage he took the more shredded and messed up they got.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Hey, guys. I was reviewing the Ridley appearance on the Smash Direct.

Here's the video at the Ridley moment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7xUWnQu2Grs#t=438

I have two theories to this, I'll go with the more likely one first. I'll call the first one the 'Ridley is not playable' theory and the second one 'Ridley is playable' theory.

This is the more likely one, the not playable theory:

1.) Sakurai is still developing Ridley which is why he has not been shown yet, proof of this is well... the game is still being developed.

2.) Ridley might use a new design for a TBA Metroid game so, Sakurai doesn't want us to see him just yet until Metroid is revealed at E3 with his new design. "But that's Other M Ridley's tail!" well, who's to say that Team Ninja didn't update his model for a sequel? (I hope to god that this isn't the case)

3.) Ridley might have more significance in this game outside of a boss and stage hazard. He might be an event on Smash Run, a lot of other things can be included with him as well.

4.) So much Metroid representation through Smash Run and Assist Trophies, Sakurai might be trying to make it up for us for him not being playable.

Now, this is the playable theory:

1.) Pikachu was picked up by Ridley. That is very poor game design (imo) if the boss just disables you for some time like that. Fighting games don't have bosses that just disable you like that, it's like a aerial grab Ridley used (that might be his fighting gimmick, what is compared to Mac's OHKO or Rosalina's puppeteering).

2.) Sakurai cut off the sound at this segment. Aren't bosses supposed to make sounds like intimidating screeches in Ridley's case to scare the player? Playable characters usually don't say anything unless taunting or attacking (This was shown in the video).

3.) Too much hype for a boss.

4.) Why is the AI so casual? If Ridley was a boss, why would he be hovering ever so slowly to Pikachu? This argument can be counteracted with Ridley's boss design not being done yet.

I'm so 50/50 with this situation that I don't know what to do with myself.
I have a few issues with this. First, looking at the non-playable theory:

Ridley is either developed enough to be shown in direct footage, or he isn't. And if he isn't ready enough, why would they show him ANYWAY only to not acknowledge him?

The playable theory; If this is a boss, it is poorly designed for a LOT of reasons. The boss moves at a pace slightly faster than Pikachu's walking speed, picks people up and renders them immobile for periods, and then does whatever? That's... insanely poor boss design. Not only that but Ridley seems abnormally small for a boss appearance, wings aside.

Avoiding SHOWING Ridley, MENTIONING Ridley, allowing us to HEAR Ridley, but only implying that 'maybe he's playable or maybe he's a boss' is a really weird thing to do considering if a character isn't playable, they have been shown to not be playable when they have been brought up. Not ambiguously teased and hinted at on multiple instances.

The fact of the matter is that Ridley is a really requested character. Sakurai is trying to... what? Build up hype and controversy over a massively requested character.... foooooor what? Massive EXTRA disappointment when he got their hopes up for a while and then revealed he wasn't playable?

At the end of the day this is one of two things, and I never know which is which anymore.

A) Sakurai has lost his mind and is deliberately hyping up a heavily requested character knowing he is going to disappoint them all when he reveals them to be a boss after all of the teasing, when he could have simply not raised peoples' hopes and deconfirmed him like he does everyone else.

B) Sakurai is purposely causing controversy around a popular character in preparation for a major character reveal on a more important date such as E3, at which point the character's reveal will surprise people who opted to not keep their hopes up and give them what they originally wanted and to give people who got excited what they still wanted.

I mean one of those things is objectively an awful idea. But to be fair that doesn't actually impact how likely it is to happen.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

That facebook post is driving the knife in deep.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Ok, I'm apologizing for what I said, If it sounded like a rude comment or offended you in any way, I'm sorry.

Although to be fair, @ IsmaR IsmaR , where exactly did Oppossum post that.
The little arrow next to the "name said:" in the quote takes you to the original post.

JediLink

Smash Ace
I just thought of a frighteningly plausible possibility. (Sorry if this has already been mentioned)

What if the big reveal that Sakurai's been building up to is... a Wii U exclusive mode where you use the gamepad to control boss characters? Giving some of the naive decisions that Sakurai's made in the past, I wouldn't put it past him to do something like this.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I just thought of a frighteningly plausible possibility. (Sorry if this has already been mentioned)

What if the big reveal that Sakurai's been building up to is... a Wii U exclusive mode where you use the gamepad to control boss characters? Giving some of the naive decisions that Sakurai's made in the past, I wouldn't put it past him to do something like this.
I once read a comment on a youtube video that that would be the only way Ridley would have any sort of playable appearance in the game.

Didn't take him seriously.

Last edited:

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Ridley's weak spot will be---

This thread.

You're all hurting him with your words, this thread is the only way to kill him in the game.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Why Wii U exclusive? 3DS has a second touch screen too.

Come to think about it, what IS Smash Bros. going to do with the secondary touch screen?

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Annnnd that would suck.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace

Come to think about it, what IS Smash Bros. going to do with the secondary touch screen?
They're gonna touch it, secondarily.
Possibly once it's gathered enough dust to give off a satisfying cloud when disturbed.

Last edited:

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
But why would controlling the bosses need to use a touch screen? It seems more logical to make one of the players the dungeon master so to speak and control it normally. But even then, why go through the trouble to develop Ridley to be playable when he knows the fans want the real deal? My guess is none of the other bosses are started so sakurai used footage of a beta Ridley still in development- far fetched maybe, but more plausible than calling Ridley a boss and then pulling the swerve and doing the opposite.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Well... At the very least, it's progress, I guess. That's not at all a best case scenario, but Ridley would be playable to a degree. It's better than nothing, right?

majora_787

Smash Hero
But why would controlling the bosses need to use a touch screen? It seems more logical to make one of the players the dungeon master so to speak and control it normally. But even then, why go through the trouble to develop Ridley to be playable when he knows the fans want the real deal? My guess is none of the other bosses are started so sakurai used footage of a beta Ridley still in development- far fetched maybe, but more plausible than calling Ridley a boss and then pulling the swerve and doing the opposite.
But he never called Ridley a boss.

EDIT: He left us with the very real implication that he COULD be a boss without removing the possibility that he could be playable. That's not actually the same thing.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0141.JPG

A little quick drawing i did out of boredom....i think i will be drawing more stuff now that i have got my vacations....

Last edited:

RavenKingSage

Smash Journeyman
The most corrupt country ever, except most others.
The reactions of people across the net are a bit embarrassing, frankly. If you step back and look at the situation rationally, it's clear that Ridley is not out of the picture. There are multiple forms of the character (and the Pyrosphere one could be any of them since we were presented with a shadow), and it's been common practice since Melee to stick playable characters in another role. Bowser was an adventure mode boss. Donkey Kong was a stage hazard (75m). R.O.B. is a common SSE enemy. Toon Link is a prop who even gets replaced when playable Toon Link is selected. Come on Internet, this is not a deconfirmation. And really, the comments I'm seeing from Ridley opponents are downright vile. "LOL UR BUTTHURT ZOMG U GOT OWNED U RETERDED RIDLY ***" smh.

PlasticBag

Smash Apprentice

Probably like any other Wii U game, displays what the your TV screen will look like while watching Girls Gone Wild on your TV while you're recking 9 years old at Miiverse.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Yer.... using the word "confirmed" as a boss is incorrect no matter how you look at it.
No one can logically claim that it's been confirmed. It's only been implied.
Confirmation would look like Ridley actually appearing on the site with a caption explicitly "confirming" that he is a boss.

Last edited:

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
Thinking about this more, the whole boss thing really has turned everything upside down in my opinion. If a fan favorite like Ridley can't be assured of being spared this fate, what is there to stop it from happening to say, wolf, ganondorf, k. Rool or Mewtwo? All are sort of on the fence and I think their supporters should be afraid as well. On the other side, it brings cool possibilities for guys like say Robotnik to be involved more than they could have. The fact Ridley is revealed so soon means he either has a big role as a boss or the swerve will happen.

For the record, did sakurai lead us on about Ridley prior to brawl, or use any of the same tricks?

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Will ridley ever return in a new metroid game alive?
Well, generally video games, movies, t.v. shows, etc love to bring back characters that are popular. Especially if the character is popular enough that for some people that character is the only reason why someone stays with the franchise. This is usually a good thing, however there is a chance of making characters overstay their welcome and/or the characters degrade overtime (the Sonic Franchise in general is a pretty hard offender of this).
Ridley doesn't have a personality in the games beyond just being beastlike, and being a tough 2nd final boss. There's not that many things that can happen to a character like that to make it worse, unless some new personality trait was added that does not mech well with it. (Inb4 birdie, and being eaten by Metroid Queen "ruining" Ridley)

With all that said, I'd be very surprised if Ridley wasn't added into later games because of his connection to Samus and Ridley fight is practicly a tradition for the series.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Thinking about this more, the whole boss thing really has turned everything upside down in my opinion. If a fan favorite like Ridley can't be assured of being spared this fate, what is there to stop it from happening to say, wolf, ganondorf, k. Rool or Mewtwo? All are sort of on the fence and I think their supporters should be afraid as well. On the other side, it brings cool possibilities for guys like say Robotnik to be involved more than they could have. The fact Ridley is revealed so soon means he either has a big role as a boss or the swerve will happen.

For the record, did sakurai lead us on about Ridley prior to brawl, or use any of the same tricks?
Im pretty sure he never led us on about ridley, I think he was just confirmed one day as a boss randomly if I remember but its been a while so im not sure.

domriver

Smash Lord
Will ridley ever return in a new metroid game alive?
Thats a good question. The only explanation would be

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SPOILERS FOR OTHER M DO NOT READ BELOW THIS IF YOU DONT WANT SPOILERS FOR OTHER M !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the GF * Galactic Federation* was able to create more Ridley's from the DNA extract of Samus' suit. Not sure if the in Bottleship was the only place where they were re-creating monsters from Zebes.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero

No. The closest was people seeing "Ridley's face in the clouds" and at one point Ridley's boss fight theme being posted on the website. He was first seen with an explicit announcement as a boss on the website. This level of teasing characters is literally something that has not happened until now with Ridley, and Palutena to a lesser extent.

EDIT: You could maybe call the announcement of Norfair a hint, but it didn't hint at Ridley nearly as much as Pyrosphere's reveal did.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
When/if Ridley really is confirmed as a newcomer ... what will you be doing? besides listening to remixes or originals of his theme.
Probably listen to this:

That theme just emanates victory, like any good ending theme should. It'll signify our victory against Shokio, Ultra, their followers and anyone else who thought we were wrong, that we were delusional. The annoyance will finally end.

... Sigh, I just want it to be E3 already now.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I swear to god you people. If a pic of the day had no text, but just a pic of ridley flying over the pyrosphere, you would say "THERE IS STILL A CHANCE, THEY DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT HIM BEING A BOSS"

I'd say his chance went from 80%-90% to 0%-15%

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I swear to god you people. If a pic of the day had no text, but just a pic of ridley flying over the pyrosphere, you would say "THERE IS STILL A CHANCE, THEY DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT HIM BEING A BOSS"

I'd say his chance went from 80%-90% to 0%-15%
Hah, shows you what you know!

Space Dragons can FLY. Also, Meta Knight, Charizard, Brawl Pit, and pretty much any character with a hovering third jump.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Probably begin vibrating aggressively until my molecular structure loosens up so that I can become Ridley and fly off into the sun.

OR I'll be even more hype for summer than I already am by a significant margin.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Top Bottom