• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
@ Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt Kihunters resemble their OM appearance much more than Super's, Mama Brain looks a bit more OM also, and Metroids have been in every game, obviously. As much as I would love to see a Fusion stage, I think the Fusion suit skin in Brawl and a few trophies are all we're gonna get. Nightmare would be an amazing boss though, but they might also pull from his OM boss room, which was circular and could be a moving stage like the F-Zero ones in a more contained space. I think they'd be more likely to do that than his Fusion form, even though Fusion had a better battle. Nothing like pounding him in the face with missiles.

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
Or maybe he doesn't think Ridley is an appropriate character to be playable.
This does in no way explain why he's so set on being vague in regard to the dragon. Sakurai's Waluigi takedown was painful for the supporters and almost mocking them. It was also clean and fast.
If we don't get Ridley this go around I don't think we will ever get him while Sakurai is heading Smash development, because he simply doesn't seem to see Ridley as an appropriate playable character.
Well that on the other hand sounds like sensible assertion. If Sakurai did not include Ridley this time, next chance of him getting in is director replacement.
Might wanna re-watch it again.
The "funny" URL repeated here works. The light is tilted; otherwise the head wouldn't be on top.
An endurance meter that stops him from doing just that? :B I mean, Little Mac has a meter, too. Anyway, I'm sure there would be a good way to make him work. But that's a problem for the developers to solve, which are more talented in that regard.
Well, duh, maybe; no other characters have jump endurance mind you. If Ridley gets in, I don't expect him to work this way. But we'll see.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Alright, I've been thinking.

People keep saying that Metroid representation is going to be exclusively Other M. However, it seems that there's a bit of representation for the rest of the series as well.

Metroid/Zero Mission: Mother Brain (Super Mother Brain's first form has a mouth, which this is lacking)

Metroid Prime: Dark Samus

Metroid 2: Metroid (Being from a game set up to exterminate the Metroids)

Super Metroid: Kihunter (seen in Smash Run, debuted in Super along with the Space Pirates)

So where does Fusion figure in all of this?

Well, it's pretty unlikely, and would be difficult if not outright impossible to pull off without changing some moves, but I know a flying Metroid character with a huge wingspan that would make for an awesome boss fight.

Nightmare: Leave it to me!
I love this idea because Ridley is playable and one of my favourite boss is a boss in ssb4 too :D

Not sure if you're trolling or not, but just in case this is genuinely how you're feeling: 1) Sakurai always considered them their own chars, 2) the transformation gimmicks did not work too well, 3) removing the transformations as implemented in previous Smashes (loaded from the disc) simplifies some programming. Much simpler, much less hostile, much more sensible explanation. As regarding to the first sentence, consider Ten Etecoons On A Dachora.
I am NOT a troll ... in SSBM and SSBB nobody thought zelda-sheik were 2 different characters and nobody thought samus-ZSS were 2 different characters because they had 2 spaces for 4 characters so it looked like they were only 2 characters
Now they have 4 spaces so who see the roster thinks there are 4 characters and not 2
Masahiro can't do a lot of characters so I THINK he used this to make the roster "bigger"

I get your point, but she looks and acts 100% differently. There is really a much bigger difference between Zero Suit Samus and Samus then there is between Mario and Luigi, both looks and move set wise.
But it is like Mario and Dr Mario !!! they are the same character !!! you can't tell me that Dr Mario is a good newcomer for the Super Mario series because it is Mario !!!
Samus & ZSS are like Mario & Dr Mario and like Zelda & Sheik and like WarioWare Wario & Super Mario Wario
IT IS THE SAME CHARACTER WITH DIFFERENT CLOTHES

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I see a lot of people saying that Ridley floats for too long in one place.
I'll concede that. It takes a bit of effort to make Kirby, Jigglypuff, Charizard, and Meta Knight float in place without bobbing up and down.
However, I need a couple questions answered before positing a new theory.

How long did Pit's Up B last in Brawl?

And why was it removed?

Keeshu

Smash Ace
oh you'll see what I mean I know I don't need to rewatch I look at it a few times already
Or maybe I just needed to re-read your previous post. I thought you said something else entirely, nevermind. But yeah, that's definently a gliding pose when he enters with his arms all wide with the "I'm gonna get you" hands.
Also, never seen this image site before, Gifs you can pause. Why haven't more sites done this?

I see a lot of people saying that Ridley floats for too long in one place.
I'll concede that. It takes a bit of effort to make Kirby, Jigglypuff, Charizard, and Meta Knight float in place without bobbing up and down.
However, I need a couple questions answered before positing a new theory.

How long did Pit's Up B last in Brawl?

And why was it removed?
I still say the Air grab allows Ridley to stay in the air (and unable to move with the enemy) as long as normal grabs, and he held onto Pikachu for a little more than half of the time he is there.
Also Pit's Wings are about 3 seconds.

Last edited:

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
I am NOT a troll ... in SSBM and SSBB nobody thought zelda-sheik were 2 different characters and nobody thought samus-ZSS were 2 different characters because they had 2 spaces for 4 characters so it looked like they were only 2 characters
Now they have 4 spaces so who see the roster thinks there are 4 characters and not 2
Masahiro can't do a lot of characters so I THINK he used this to make the roster "bigger"
At Brawl's site (still available at changed URL) Zelda and Sheik are separate. And honestly, wasn't it for the semi-forced transformations, Samuses would be considered separate chars in Brawl days. Wasn't it for the semi-forced trasnformations, Pokemon would probably be too. Zelda/Shiek were on the other hand designed to be used as duo, but due to certain stat shift in competitive play this made Shiek too good to not use.

But it is like Mario and Dr Mario !!! they are the same character !!! you can't tell me that Dr Mario is a good newcomer for the Super Mario series because it is Mario !!!
Samus & ZSS are like Mario & Dr Mario and like Zelda & Sheik and like WarioWare Wario & Super Mario Wario
IT IS THE SAME CHARACTER WITH DIFFERENT CLOTHES
Let me ruin Smash Bros for you. All of these characters are actually simulations of puppets of certain being besides the controller. You are the only character actually taking part in your copy of game! Unless it's party night.

What we constitute as character is arbitrary, but even at the deep casual land I leave in, the consensus is that it's not your clothes or name that matter, it's what you do. (By the way, this is ideal for real life of many people too.) This separates ZSS from Wario outfits.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I stiil think it's pretty lazy to reuse an idea from other game (Dead or Alive: Dimensions) regarding Ridley as a stage hazard.
They aren't re-using anything. Both the DOA stage and the SSB4 stage are based on the same location from the same Metroid game. Of course they're going to include the same elements.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Or maybe he doesn't think Ridley is an appropriate character to be playable.
Even if he thinks this, he's still been deliberately teasing us and keeping Ridley's status ambiguous for over 9 months. He knows we want him playable, so if all of this teasing and carrot dangling ends up in Ridley being not playable, Sakurai is therefore a jerk.

If he truly believes Ridley wouldn't work as a playable character, he should have revealed him as a stage hazard/boss many, many months ago.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Even if he thinks this, he's still been deliberately teasing us and keeping Ridley's status ambiguous for over 9 months. He knows we want him playable, so if all of this teasing and carrot dangling ends up in Ridley being not playable, Sakurai is therefore a jerk.

If he truly believes Ridley wouldn't work as a playable character, he should have revealed him as a stage hazard/boss many, many months ago.
He didn't do this to you. You did. From the beginning its been heavily implied that Ridley would appear as a hazzard.
He does know that people like ridley. So he included him in the environment he works best in as a stage boss.

It's going to fun fighting a kick-ass colossal boss like ridley in that stage and tbh it's more innovative than most characters are. There is a positive in this.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Yeah Ridley is pretty much in. If they showed another boss straight up and just Ridley's shadow, its because he isn't actually a boss. Pretty obvious to me.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
He didn't do this to you. You did. From the beginning its been heavily implied that Ridley would appear as a hazzard.
He does know that people like ridley. So he included him in the environment he works best in as a stage boss.

It's going to fun fighting a kick-*** colossal boss like ridley in that stage and tbh it's more innovative than most characters are. There is a positive in this.
>positive
>not playing as a character i wanted

SupahLink

Smash Cadet

What "teasing" though? The only time I can recall him ever alluding to Ridley before this was the Pyrosphere stage. I don't feel like he's been hinting at Ridley that much; it's just that the fans over-analyze everything.

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Ah crud, apparently the image sites I used to use I cannot use anymore. I'd be happy to outline Pikachu's shadow if you let me know where I can upload a simple image. You don't notice the lightning bolt part of pikachu's tail at the very bottom left? It even goes on and off screen a few times when the swaying happens.
A bit late of a response, but have you tried imgur?

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes; I haven't necessarily read any of the responses, but the thread title is most definitely fallacious. Ridley wasn't "confirmed" for anything, we was alluded to in a certain fashion. As someone else put it, "in a Direct full of surprise reveals, such as Zero-Suit Samus after a statement that she wasn't in the game and the Palutena trophy quiz; we can hardly objectively assert that Ridely is a boss character." All we know is that Sakurai confirmed more boss characters while showcasing a clip from Pyrosphere. That being said, I do find it more likely than not (by a preponderance of the evidence) that Ridley is a boss character. I just don't believe it to be objective fact. Sakurai would have had to actually state something to that effect.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Real talk if Ridley is a stage boss then this direct was the perfect opportunity to confirm it. If he isnt playable than Sakurai isnt a troll but a complete d***. We can have two version of the same character playable but we cant have two versions of Ridley (ask me why it was necessary to have two versions of Ridley as a Boss in Brawl)?

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Real talk if Ridley is a stage boss then this direct was the perfect opportunity to confirm it. If he isnt playable than Sakurai isnt a troll but a complete d***. We can have two version of the same character playable but we cant have two versions of Ridley (ask me why it was necessary two have two versions of Ridley as a Boss in Brawl)?
Why was it necessary to have two versions of Ridley as a Boss in Brawl?

That being said, it is certainly entirely possible that Ridley is a boss and a playable character. In the same vein as Alfonso; or something to that effect. That is assuming that Ridley is even a boss in the first place, a silhouette of his model does nothing to convince me that he is a boss character; it is merely the context that everyone is blatantly relying on.

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
Real talk if Ridley is a stage boss then this direct was the perfect opportunity to confirm it. If he isnt playable than Sakurai isnt a troll but a complete d***. We can have two version of the same character playable but we cant have two versions of Ridley (ask me why it was necessary two have two versions of Ridley as a Boss in Brawl)?
I think it was to give the fans the amount of Ridley they wanted. Although I am not sure how Sakurai thought the fans would appreciate this. Sometimes this man surely is a complete Riddle...y

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If what Sakurai had pulled off wasn't some sick joke, then I'll just say this: "R.I.P. Ridley 1986-2014" :cry:

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
What "teasing" though? The only time I can recall him ever alluding to Ridley before this was the Pyrosphere stage. I don't feel like he's been hinting at Ridley that much; it's just that the fans over-analyze everything.
Well, while there was some overanalyzing, the hole PotD was definitely referring to Ridley. Besides, go count characters mentioned without immediate "concrete" introduction to their roles. Palutena? Ridley? I cannot remember anyone else right now. Maybe there were some Pokemon which weren't outright said to be Pokeball material.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Well, while there was some overanalyzing, the hole PotD was definitely referring to Ridley. Besides, go count characters mentioned without immediate "concrete" introduction to their roles. Palutena? Ridley? I cannot remember anyone else right now. Maybe there were some Pokemon which weren't outright said to be Pokeball material.
Stafi and Xerneas. There may have been others but I can add them without needing to look.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
How does he pick him up if we dont see him go down?
wtf.....
His shadow went completely off-screen for a few frames. If we assume Ridley was going down those frame would be when he landed/reached down to grab Pikachu.

That or there were two pikachus?

The fact he holds him in his bottom appendages confuses me, you'd think it'd be his hands, even as a boss... He seems to throw with his hand though, so maybe he just carries players in his feet for a bit while h'es flying. If he is playable that would assumedly be his down-throw?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
...Sorry if I sound dumb here, but when does Ridley pick up Pikachu? Every time I see the footage, I just see Ridley fly in, stop, then move on. I don't see Pikachu's shadow in any of that.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
Teasing is alluding to Ridley's role in Other M (traumatizing Samus) back in August when he first showed Pyrosphere, but without mentioning his name or providing clarity of his actual role on the stage (if any).

Teasing is showing Ridley's shadow hovering over the Pyrosphere platform in the recent Direct while simultaneously talking about bosses akin to Yellow Devil, but not straight out saying, "Ridley is another boss" and showing him in action.

Teasing is showing the Pyrosphere stage dozens of times since its reveal without showing Ridley as a stage hazard/boss.

Teasing is showing off the gigantic, unseen-by-players corridor behind the Pyrosphere wall in a PotD, and mentioning that it's a lot bigger than it looks.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I don't know when he picks him up, it doesn't show it, though you can see the shadow, particularly the tail. I can't really mark it well given it's animated though...

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I
View attachment 11895
I wonder how much the people from Nintendo of America running this Facebook know?
NoA is taunting too?

Honestly, things like this are making me more and more convinced that Ridley will have a higher status then just being a mere boss.

That or Nintendo as a whole are ***** to Ridley fans.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Real talk if Ridley is a stage boss then this direct was the perfect opportunity to confirm it. If he isnt playable than Sakurai isnt a troll but a complete d***. We can have two version of the same character playable but we cant have two versions of Ridley (ask me why it was necessary to have two versions of Ridley as a Boss in Brawl)?
Maybe you could cover my shifts when im not here? :)

Top Bottom