• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Anyone who played Final Fantasy 5 knows this guy....SHINRYU.

Shinryu is a dragon and a transcender of Dimensions, buuuuuuuut he is Square Enix property.

I named my handle, Mii, and all RPG Protagonists after him.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Anyone who played Final Fantasy 5 knows this guy....SHINRYU.
I actually first encountered Shinryu in Dissidia: Final Fantasy.

Not only was he a cool-looking crystal dragon, but the ******* gave Chaos infinite summons of many possible outcomes.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Ridley is actually a very well known rapper amongst some parts of the galaxy, but little do his fans know he can only rap when he is scared. He suffers from stage fright, so he only raps live to large audiences. His secret to his creative process though is that he comes up with his illest rhymes during his battles with Samus, since those are the scariest moments of his life.

Mega Dunsparce

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3695-1145-1866
Ridley is actually a very well known rapper amongst some parts of the galaxy, but little do his fans know he can only rap when he is scared. He suffers from stage fright, so he only raps live to large audiences. His secret to his creative process though is that he comes up with his illest rhymes during his battles with Samus, since those are the scariest moments of his life.
Ooooh snap.

D

Deleted member

If Ridley does end up talking in Smash 4, I hope he's voiced by Norio Wakamoto in the Japanese version. (I prefer the Japanese versions of Smash over the English versions.)

Norio Wakamoto also did Cell in Dragon Ball Z...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHt3PZgk1M8&t=2m20s
(I would have used the forum's media feature, but it removes the part of the URL that links to a specific video time.)

^^ This is what Ridley would sound like during his Final Smash if he were to absorb Phazon and transform into Omega Ridley. :troll: (I saw a leak that said that Ridley was in the game and his Final Smash was "Omega Ridley".)

But on a more serious note, Norio Wakamoto's voice might be a bit deep for Ridley, considering he's sort of a skinny, almost reptilian-like creature. (Other than being mostly dragon-like.) So I could totally see him getting voice like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLXZYKPuaPM&t=0m13s

However, honestly, I doubt he will speak or get a voice, since he never talked in any of the games, only the manga. But who knows? Especially with Sakurai.

I'm a big Ridley supporter, by the way, if it wasn't obvious enough. :grin: I would be VERY VERY surprised if Ridley is not a playable character in Smash 4.
There is room for only one villain in purple voiced by Norio Wakamoto.

Though Wakamoto would be interesting for Ridley.
That being said, I'd rather Ridley didn't talk.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
There is room for only one villain in purple voiced by Norio Wakamoto.

Though Wakamoto would be interesting for Ridley.
That being said, I'd rather Ridley didn't talk.
I'm curious now, assuming they'd be able to get him (presumably for Black Shadow or something), then does he have any previous experience with high-pitched, kinda screetchy dragon-ish sounds/voices? Getting one voice actor to do two roles is always nice.

D

Deleted member

Wakamoto has done a lot of voices. He may have one that is "Ridley-ish".

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Good evening fellow Space Pirates, I have a gift to help us look towards the future:

All five newcomers. One day, Ridley will be amongst them, possibly sooner than we expect.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
hmm...so that means that my comic about Ridley is going to need a whole forest to make it? Geez... :sadsheep:

AndreaAC

So is anyone expecting the April Fools Ridley stage hazard reveal?
If that is going to happen....i need to put my eyes near the calendar....

Oh also, i think my Ridley wall painting is going to need the seven seas of paint to make...GOD WHY...! :drsad:

Last edited:

Glyphoscythe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphoscythe
3DS FC
0834-0985-0680
His final smash is him doing a freestyle rap battle. When he drops the mic, it causes a huge phazon explosion.

AndreaAC

10154494_596880833726823_1861157767_n.jpg

my lazy painting of a parody of "The Nightmare" painting....geez it looks like a scene from the sleeping beauty...but those damned brushes were horrible...so i don't care.....with Samus instead of the damsel...Ridley instead of the demon and Nightmare Moon instead the ghostly horse...I...HATE...PAINTING....next time i will still drawing just with the pencil....but it was for art history class....

Oh, and i don't think Ridley is going to give Samus a "sweet" kiss, the meaning of the demon in that painting is something way worst....

So...i think i will just hide under my blanket....

ALSO....I said that i was going to post it if it turned out "nice"....Ridley turned out kind of "nice"...but the rest looks like "sh#t"....so, i only posted it because of Ridley....

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
View attachment 11190

my lazy painting of a parody of "The Nightmare" painting....geez it looks like a scene from the sleeping beauty...but those damned brushes were horrible...so i don't care.....with Samus instead of the damsel...Ridley instead of the demon and Nightmare Moon instead the ghostly horse...I...HATE...PAINTING....next time i will still drawing just with the pencil....but it was for art history class....

Oh, and i don't think Ridley is going to give Samus a "sweet" kiss, the meaning of the demon in that painting is something way worst....

ALSO....I said that i was going to post it if it turned out "nice"....Ridley turned out kind of "nice"...but the rest looks like "sh#t"....so, i only posted it because of Ridley....
All of your drawings look awesome to me...You are gifted.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So is anyone expecting the April Fools Ridley stage hazard reveal?
If that happened, the chaos that would ensue would cause the entire internet to implode on itself.

View attachment 11190

I think it looks really nice!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hello everyone,

I have been reading through this thread as I am planning on doing a Week in Review: Thread of the Week article about it in the near future. I am currently compiling information to write and I have a few questions:

1) What are some popular arguments against including Ridley in Smash 4?

2) What are some counter-arguments for said arguments? In particular, to the "He's too big" argument.

3) Are there any universally agreed upon good Ridley move sets that I can feature?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hello everyone,

I have been reading through this thread as I am planning on doing a Week in Review: Thread of the Week article about it in the near future. I am currently compiling information to write and I have a few questions:

1) What are some popular arguments against including Ridley in Smash 4?

2) What are some counter-arguments for said arguments? In particular, to the "He's too big" argument.

3) Are there any universally agreed upon good Ridley move sets that I can feature?

1) There's obviously the "too big" argument. It along with most other Ridley arguments are mostly based around canon and how much Sakurai should allow himself to wrap them from their canon appearances. Others we've seen besides the "too big" argument are that he'd be hard to balance given that he'll have some weird hitboxes and long range, he'd be a Charizard clone, he isn't unique enough, he'd be able to fly forever, and that he's "too scary" for a kid's friendly game like Smash, as stupid as some of them may sound we are posed with these arguments at times.

2) I'll just execute the lesser ones first. Ridley does have weird proportions, and would have some whacky hitboxes depending on the design chosen. Given that his proportions are much more humanoid in his Other M design, which is the design likely to be chosen, it wouldn't be that big of a problem. Even then hitboxes are not always realistic in Smash Bros, look at some of Snake's hitboxes for example. Furthermore, balance has never stopped a character from getting in, and probably wouldn't at this stage, even if it was a problem. The range "problem" is something that's entirely based on what moveset they're giving him, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing though, as long as those long range moves are slow.

He wouldn't be a Charizard clone. Saying he'd be a Charizard clone is like proclaiming Ike to be a Marth clone. Charizard's playstyle in Smash is based primarily on the ground, despite being a Flying-type. Ridley always excels in the air and is portrayed as very clunky on the ground, so obviously he wouldn't have the same playstyle. And if anyone honestly expects to see Ridley use Rock Smash anytime soon, then they're lacking imagination or knowledge of Ridley. Which does lead into the uniqueness argument.

Few, but still some people, proclaim he wouldn't be as unique as the currently announced newcomers. Believe it or not, but there's not an aerial oriented heavy weight in the game yet. Some people think Dedede is aerial based due to his multiple jumps, but aside from his B-Air his aerial game is very weak compared to his ground game. Ridley would be a reverse Little Mac pretty much by being big and heavy, clunky on the ground but agile in the air. Moveset wise there's so much you can do with him, just from fireballs, shockwaves, aerial movements, etc. Probably the most popular idea for a really unique gimmick for him is an aerial grab, which Ridley very often uses in the games.

"He'd be able to fly forever." Kirby, Meta Knight and Dedede can fly forever in their source games. Next. "He's too scary!" I guess that's why he's been in every Smash game to date. Even then he's not very scary at all, in Brawl he even looks somewhat goofy.

With them out of the way, let's open up arguably the most popular argument in Smash history: Is Ridley too big? Oh man, how many years I've talked about this, I'll never be able to hear the combination of the two words "too" and "big" properly again. If you haven't figured by now, my answer to it is a big fat NO:

I will however start out by killing an argument I see pro-Ridley people often use:
NES Ridley. If anyone doesn't know for some reason, NES Ridley is barely a head higher than Samus is. However, that appearance was retconned in Zero Mission where Ridley is as big as ever. Furthermore, his appearance is very obscure in general in that game, his neck is part of his lower jaw, he's completely upright, and he jumps around like a little child. I personally wouldn't ever bring that appearance up, because it's pretty irrelevant.

However, there's another appearance that many pro-Ridley guys bring up that I agree with: Melee Ridley.

No matter how little time his appearance in the intro lasts, it shows that Sakurai is willing to scale him down, even for such a small purpose as being featured in a opening cinematic.

Speaking of Sakurai not taking canon sizes seriously, we have a few good examples in the game already. No, I'm not talking Bowser, when he was included in Smash Bros. he only had a single enormous appearance in a Mario game, that being Mario 64, he was small in the rest. I'm talking Olimar, and partly Ganondorf too. As we all know Olimar's entire game is based around being miniscule in a big world. Being incredibly small is a core part of Olimar's character, but despite that he's in Smash, and he's even higher than Kirby, even Sakurai pokes fun at it:

If Olimar, someone who's entire character is based around being small, can get in, then someone like Ridley, who's entire character is NOT based around being big, can easily get in too.

Then there's Ganondorf, this isn't as big a thing, but in Twilight Princess he's double Link's height, but in Brawl he has been cut short quite a few inches.

I talked about how important size are to these characters, and a misconception I often see is that size is a very important aspect of Ridley's character. Big shocker, it's not. Some people don't believe Ridley can act like Ridley without being big, they believe being able to hold Samus in one hand is a necessity. That's not what Ridley is about though. Ridley is the leader of all Space Pirates, he's a cunning and intelligent being who becomes savage in battle, and most important of all he's Samus' arch nemesis, having killed her parents and all. Ridley's most important role in the games is his rivalry and history with Samus, this is what's truly being emphasized in his battles, not that he's big. His size is simply a side effect of being a Metroid boss, meaning he has to be easy to hit. Even then Ridley is one of the smaller Metroid bosses, as evidenced by being the smallest of the 4 main bosses in Super Metroid. If you want to talk about someone who's whole character is based around size, we're talking Kraid. Kraid's one and only appeal is his size, there's nothing else to his character, that's why enormous guys like Kraid can't be a Smash character while Ridley can, because Ridley isn't about size. Size isn't a necessary part of Ridley's fighting style either, unless you don't think Ridley acts like Ridley in the Melee intro or in the Prime games where he never uses his size to his advantage (minus Meta Ridley in Prime 3, which is a very odd fight in general.)

Heck, now that we're talking about the Prime games, there's a grand example of his size not even being taken that seriously by Retro Studios. In Prime 3 there are two Ridley battles, one where you fall down a shaft fighting him as Meta Ridley, and another more standard one where you battle him as Omega Ridley. In the Meta Ridley fight Samus can easily fit in Ridley's mouth, however in the later Omega Ridley fight Ridley is quite a bit smaller to the extend that he'd be choking would he ever try and eat Samus whole. This is because in the Meta Ridley fight he has to use his size to his advantage to make the fight feel epic, where as in the Omega Ridley fight it's more of a 1 on 1 duel between two rivals, so he's scaled down so that he's closer to Samus' level, aka Ridley is scaled depending on the role he has to fit in the fight. For reference, here are the two fights, the cutscenes being the important part:
- Ridley fight starts at 3:56

Furthermore, we've had some great mock-ups made by users if anyone wants to see examples, namely from @Angelglory. Here's one that really rocks, even if the wings and tail are a bit big that's just a matter of properly scaling the proportions. There's no doubt that in these images Ridley looks and feels like the Ridley we all know:

- Same size as above.

And just to round things up, I'll just throw in this last image. I think it speaks for itself:

That should do it for now.

3) Not sure about this one personally, there are a lot of great ones, but not ones that are generally agreed to be better than others.

Last edited:

Typs

Smash Cadet
I've seen some people suggest that ridley up-B should give him the ability to fly horizontally, like peach's third jump, but it last forever. If sakurai makes ridley an aerial oriented heavy weight this is probably the best move he can get, and it gives him something unique (also he should have more than 2 jump so he has some vertical recovery).
Of course they are some balance issue, like having ridley fly over the side of the stage and be unreachable, but if, for exemple, he gets tired over a bottom less pit, it could work.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Staying up in the air forever.... Sounds like an opportunity for trolling and/or stalling. As much as I love staying in the air as much as possible in just about any game, Smash isn't one of those games where you can just do that.

I just suggest Ridley being an incredibly floaty character, but heavy, like samus, just heavier and maybe floatier (but with the wings making it look like he's flying slowly downwards or something), and having better jumps, and can Glide (perhaps hover). Just just makes it so he can do his superior aerial attacks often.
But hey, however he's added is good enough for me.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
If Ridley were going to be incredibly floaty, he'd need some extremely powerful aerial options to keep from getting combo'd into next week.

Oh, and it's good to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that NES Ridley should never be used as a pro-Ridley argument.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Thoughts, gentlemen?
Ok the size we all know in love is good as usually

And to explain you guys/gals his still the same size in the crawling picture it shows that he really is the biggest character if shruken down

(Ps good news no April fools joke about ridley)

And may I see every other ridley size picture (the most popular one)

(The super metroid version, the super metroid version T stance, other m and super metroid comparison, other m version, other m version hold samus with one hand, and this)

Last edited:

AndreaAC

:) thank you all with likes and positive thoughts about my -lazy- painting.....i hope to draw something im at least pleased with later....

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think the basis consensus for a moveset is pretty much the same as the one in the OP.

Neutral Special - Plasma Breath/Fireballs (chargeable, shooting more/farther when fully charged)

Side Special - Command Grab (a lunge/reach forward similar to Ganondorf/Bowser, basically acting like Bowser's Koopa Klaw grab in Melee. In the air this would turn into a dive bomb attack)

Up Special - Temporary Flight/aerial control (in essence a mix of Pit's and R.O.B.'s old Up Specials, allowing unrestricted flight for a brief time)

Down Special - Reflector/hard "armor" OR Tail Stab (basically the black armor from Other M, acts like a Franklin Badge. Trade off is vulnerability while charging it. Another idea I see get thrown out a lot is his trademark tail stab, though it would likely be an aerial)

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

I am going to find whoever made this
And I'm going to eat their family in front of them.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
You had to have known it was coming dude. :\

The more I think or hear about the Charizard clone argument now, the more I want Ridley to have his classic fireballs as his regular B special as opposed to another fire stream attack, aside from knowing that Ridley wouldn't have Rock Smash. And I too am glad to not be the only one to see the NES sprite for the amateur pro-Ridley argument that it is.

D

Deleted member

Give it up guys, Ridley's not getting in.

Not while Armstrong Houston exists.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
If Ridley were going to be incredibly floaty, he'd need some extremely powerful aerial options to keep from getting combo'd into next week.

Oh, and it's good to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that NES Ridley should never be used as a pro-Ridley argument.
Yeah, I know, he looks totally different.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Why did one NoA artist have to make Ridley carry this baggage around on his weird humpback.

"That's not me... that was never me..."

D

Deleted member

That comparison keeps reminding me of the MUGEN Ridley by BaganSmashBros

Which also brought up something in regards to the previous voice discussion.
Would a voice like the one used in Ridley's intro fit him?

Top Bottom