• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Not exactly a master artist like you guys, but I drew up a rough moveset loosely based on OP's moveset.

Is Ridley supposed to be floating like that even in his idle state? Because I honestly don't see why he should be doing that. If anything, it makes him look really small compared to the other fighters.

Great ideas for specials, though.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Is Ridley supposed to be floating like that even in his idle state? Because I honestly don't see why he should be doing that. If anything, it makes him look really small compared to the other fighters.

Great ideas for specials, though.
Well, yeah. Ridley is often shown at his best in the air, so I thought I should reflect that in the scale.

Speaking of poses, if Ridley does make it into Smash, how should he look when idle?

Hunched over like Zero Mission, Super, and Fusion?

Grounded on all fours like Meta and Omega Ridley?

Or more upright flying like Brawl and Other M?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I've always expected him to act like Meta/Omega where he stands on two legs in a very hunched stance, walk in a clunky manner but still on two legs, and run on all fours. Given that he'll likely use his Other M design though, he'll probably be less clunky and hunched when standing idle and walking, which is fine, and he looks pretty cool running on all fours in that game too.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hunched or not, his head will pass through the lower platforms of Battle Field, that I am sure of.

Bet Battle Field will be a stage often banned by Ridley players, as anyone can just move up one of the platforms and Down Tilt Ridley's head all day.

At least, that's how I'm imagining it. I'm having fun with it though, so let me be.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
Hunched or not, his head will pass through the lower platforms of Battle Field, that I am sure of.

Bet Battle Field will be a stage often banned by Ridley players, as anyone can just move up one of the platforms and Down Tilt Ridley's head all day.

At least, that's how I'm imagining it. I'm having fun with it though, so let me be.
In Ultra Street Fighter 4, part of the hurtbox on crouching Hugo's head was removed so he wouldn't be hit by Sagat's high fireballs in every situation. Perhaps they could do something similar to Ridley so he won't be screwed over by platforms? That said, I think they could probably fix the situation by making him be on all fours while standing.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Of course he'd still have to be downscaled some, even when hunched. Battlefield is in general not that great of a stage for big or tall characters, you can see that Bowser's head almost passes through the platforms too, though his head is just barely stuck inside the platforms.

I will admit that I'd have tons of fun myself D-Tilting a Ridley below me with Ike, or just have fun poking him constantly with Meta Knight. Exploding his face as Samus sounds like good old fashioned fun too.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
It really bel-lows that Ridley isn't confirmed yet

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
Here is a little comic for you guys:

Yoshi and Ridley are getting a new roomate: Shinryu from Final Fantasy.

Ridley and Shinryu, being aggressive in their corresponding games, got off the wrong foot so quickly...
Yoshi suggests that they fight Outside.

Both Dragons duke it out and it ends up in a draw....and Poor Yoshi gets to pay compensation for all the Collateral Damage

This is NOT THE END...It's the beginning of a new friendship.:)

Mega Dunsparce

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3695-1145-1866
Here is a little comic for you guys:

Yoshi and Ridley are getting a new roomate: Shinryu from Final Fantasy.

Ridley and Shinryu, being aggressive in their corresponding games, got off the wrong foot so quickly...
Yoshi suggests that they fight Outside.

Both Dragons duke it out and it ends up in a draw....and Poor Yoshi gets to pay compensation for all the Collateral Damage

This is NOT THE END...It's the beginning of a new friendship.:)
That last line was so cheesy I can smell it.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Have I mentioned you're awesome?

Because I might have forgotten to say you're awesome.
:3 Aw, thank you! :D glad you liked the drawing! i couldn't take the pose out of my head while i was at school...it looked awesome!

AndreaAC

if that's quick then your very good at what you do!
xD yeah...if i remember correctly...the drawing took me 15 or 20 minutes....i had a bit of trouble with the pose of his claws....so it wasn't THAT fast....and thank you! :3

Last edited:

AndreaAC

:) well...i hope to get more ideas to draw....and i really need one with Omega Ridley to give him again a try.....

Last edited:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
WHY DO YOU LIKE OMEGA RIDLEY SO MUCH ANYWAY. I really dislike the design because of its complexity, but I suppose that could be what draws you to it??? Why can't you just be a lazy artist with no care for all those darn details.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Details are what make my drawings look nice. That also applies to anything else. Hence Omega Ridley is cool, and possibly the coolest Ridley design after ZM.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

WHY DO YOU LIKE OMEGA RIDLEY SO MUCH ANYWAY. I really dislike the design because of its complexity, but I suppose that could be what draws you to it??? Why can't you just be a lazy artist with no care for all those darn details.
well, yeah, it was actually that what makes me like that form of his so much, even if it makes my hand hurt....and because when my cousin showed me the cinematic of that boss fight a long time ago, i was really impressed...and that's why i got Metroid Prime 3 in the first place, just to get to that boss battle and see him...

xD i wish i was a lazy artist (and sometimes i am) but, i want to put me a challenge sometimes....just to prove myself....

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Another day not in Pyrosphere? That's fine for now, since it seems we're heading back into Arts and Crafts territory again! I've never witnessed a support group with such fine artists :)

Most definitely Battlefield will be banned for most big characters (like Bowser, since he clips through the platforms as well), including Ridley. With that said though, Ridley has to worry more about his gravity then him clipping. Since he will obviously probably have the biggest hit box in the game, if they make him fall too fast then he will be comboed very easily, so hopefully they get that right. It could make or break him in competitive play.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664

Ridley is seriously OLD...but he's a dragon so that is not strange.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Whoopdy doo?

:) well...i hope to get more ideas to draw....and i really need one with Omega Ridley to give him again a try.....
Well if you're running out of ideas, there's still that one suggestion I gave that I thought you were gonna save using Omega again for.

In any case, related to that lovely Meta-Ridley gif you posted earlier, am liking some of these different palettes for the model almost as well. Could still use some work, but considering they're just for mugen (I believe), still fairly impressive.

OdangoKnight

Smash Cadet
Too big, too small? Just right? Samus is probably at her maximum height and Ridley is crouching on the bottom.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm pretty sure Bowser being in all these size comparison pics is more than just coincidence at this point. Not saying they're directly alluding to him, along with those "size isn't always true to scale" comments, but I am fairly certain that if Ridley was revealed already, he'd "fit" all these Bowser pics effortlessly, and probably better (along the lines of the Samus and Lil' Mac size comparison/callback).

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I HAVE A THUNDERING NEED FOR RIDLEY

Top Bottom