• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I'd rather Ridley's speaking debut in a video game NOT be in Smash. I'm fine with gesticulation, but please no voice acting. Just let him roar and growl and whatnot.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
^^ This is what Ridley would sound like during his Final Smash if he were to absorb Phazon and transform into Omega Ridley. :troll: (I saw a leak that said that Ridley was in the game and his Final Smash was "Omega Ridley".)
:3 that would make me the happiest person in the world....specially if he actually looks like he does in Prime 3...not just blue like the concept art....if that form of his is at least a trophy that would be enough for me...

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If Ridley does end up talking in Smash 4, I hope he's voiced by Norio Wakamoto in the Japanese version. (I prefer the Japanese versions of Smash over the English versions.)

Norio Wakamoto also did Cell in Dragon Ball Z...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHt3PZgk1M8&t=2m20s
(I would have used the forum's media feature, but it removes the part of the URL that links to a specific video time.)

^^ This is what Ridley would sound like during his Final Smash if he were to absorb Phazon and transform into Omega Ridley. :troll: (I saw a leak that said that Ridley was in the game and his Final Smash was "Omega Ridley".)

But on a more serious note, Norio Wakamoto's voice might be a bit deep for Ridley, considering he's sort of a skinny, almost reptilian-like creature. (Other than being mostly dragon-like.) So I could totally see him getting voice like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLXZYKPuaPM&t=0m13s

However, honestly, I doubt he will speak or get a voice, since he never talked in any of the games, only the manga. But who knows? Especially with Sakurai.

I'm a big Ridley supporter, by the way, if it wasn't obvious enough. :grin: I would be VERY VERY surprised if Ridley is not a playable character in Smash 4.

Wow, that's ironic. :D

I had been working on my post. I've been lurking the boards for about the last month or so, but I just decided to jump in. I've been planning to post about some things about Smash 4 I'd like to talk about, and so I've been working on making a signature I pieced together from the manga, but it looks like I'll need to resize...

The signature's intention is to show how much of an *** Ridley is to Samus in order to sort of show his personality (or his relationship with Samus, however you want to look at it) to those that aren't familiar with him when I post in other threads.

On that note, I was thinking about something the other day. Among all of the Nintendo villains, wouldn't you say that Ridley is at least the second most evil or dangerous villain? I'd say Ganondorf is a close competitor in those fields. The rest of the villains, including Bowser, really aren't that murderous or bloodthirsty...
I think that first one is the Cell in DBZ Kai. I liked the original Cell voice(s) better. Still cool yells though. As for Ridley having that kind of sound during a final smash, well.. sure beats hearing the screeches he had in Fusion, to put it lightly. Doubt he would get a voice too though of course, so I'll just leave it at that, having given my input on the subject before.

And lol, sorry. Wasn't sure you would make a post here at first since I only saw you lurking for a moment when I last checked this thread earlier. Awesome first post here though, with that said.

You won't need to resize your sig that much from the looks of it, especially if you take out the character add-ons at the bottom. That's up to you though of course. Interesting intention you had for it regardless.

Pretty much @ Ridley and Ganondorf being a couple of the more evil Nintendo villains. Not that it takes much to outdo Bowser in that area since unlike him who mostly only kidnaps a princess, when Ridley makes someone a target, they're just gone (incinerated), or devoured.

:3 that would make me the happiest person in the world....specially if he actually looks like he does in Prime 3...not just blue like the concept art....if that form of his is at least a trophy that would be enough for me...
I think he should have been more blue in-game like the concept art. Omega Ridley as he was just wasn't Phazon-ish enough for me, in both appearance and attacks.

AndreaAC

I think he should have been more blue in-game like the concept art. Omega Ridley as he was just wasn't Phazon-ish enough for me, in both appearance and attacks.
the Phazon blue Meta Ridley was going to be in its place before they changed it to its actual appearence, like it was shown in the demo reel. Im still thinking that Omega shows more organic tissue and metalic parts because he absorbed the phazon he had as his armorskin, along with lots of phazon from the leviathan, and well, all that concentrated on his heart, and ran through his vains...

:3 even if he doesn't look phazon-ish like the Omega Pirate, both in color and attacks...I will always have a soft spot for him...it was the first true Ridley fight i had and it is a form of the Original one....

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I feel like I should pop in since I've lurked this thread for a long time without actually saying anything. I didn't grow up with Metroid and wouldn't consider myself a hardcore fan. However, I've recently beaten Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion and I am completely on board with playing as a giant purple space pterodactyl that can eat your face. Ridley for Smash!

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
It's rather difficult to decide between who is more evil, Ridley or Ganondorf. However, I have a feeling that since they've both been around so long you can pretty much cherry pick things for each side.
I used to view Ganondorf as being more evil, since well. King of Evil and whatnot. After I realized that Ridley was part of the Space Pirates (Metroid Prime's walls of text's told me about it), I viewed Ridley as some sort of (space) pirate, not really being evil, just being a jerk because it's the easiest way to get money/whatever he wants.

I haven't had the chance to play Skyward Sword (I don't like watching zelda game playthroughs before I play them either, ruins the point of puzzle game part of LoZ), but seeing his speech in Wind Waker makes him out to be some sort of victim of favoritism of the gods. Turning his homeland into desert, and making Hyrule flourish. Making his actions based more on revenge, than true evil stuff. Still evil, just makes him significantly less evil.
I haven't read the manga, but many people on these forums keep saying how absolutely evil Ridley is in the manga..... I really need to get to reading that manga...... The games...... Pretty much make him look very bestial (Though I haven't played the handheld games yet, but i did see Ridley squint his eyes menacingly... does that count?)

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The motivation of the space pirates in Metroid have always been kind of one of those things I've never been entirely clear on as their goals and behaviors seems to change quite a bit from game to game. Since the pirates are generally not explored to great details it's hard to even tell what Ridley's motivation is for anything he does. What we get from the games is him behaving mostly like a feral monster and not much else. He has been shown to posses intellgent but as nothing is done beside fighting it's kind of hard to tell.

Though I find Nintendo has this issue with alot of their villians. With probably the expection of Bowser who's probably has the more consisent personality, though even he can vary somewhat from game to game just not as much as some of the others..

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
It's rather difficult to decide between who is more evil, Ridley or Ganondorf. However, I have a feeling that since they've both been around so long you can pretty much cherry pick things for each side.
I used to view Ganondorf as being more evil, since well. King of Evil and whatnot. After I realized that Ridley was part of the Space Pirates (Metroid Prime's walls of text's told me about it), I viewed Ridley as some sort of (space) pirate, not really being evil, just being a jerk because it's the easiest way to get money/whatever he wants.

I haven't had the chance to play Skyward Sword (I don't like watching zelda game playthroughs before I play them either, ruins the point of puzzle game part of LoZ), but seeing his speech in Wind Waker makes him out to be some sort of victim of favoritism of the gods. Turning his homeland into desert, and making Hyrule flourish. Making his actions based more on revenge, than true evil stuff. Still evil, just makes him significantly less evil.
I haven't read the manga, but many people on these forums keep saying how absolutely evil Ridley is in the manga..... I really need to get to reading that manga...... The games...... Pretty much make him look very bestial (Though I haven't played the handheld games yet, but i did see Ridley squint his eyes menacingly... does that count?)
Well, the manga portrays Ridley as a bloodthirsty monster who values killing and torture over any real material prizes won from Space Pirate raids. The two most vile things he does in the manga is pretending to befriend a 3-year old Samus...for the sole purpose of lowering her guard for an easier kill, and mocking Samus years later by bragging that he survived an explosion by consuming the bodies of her parents, regenerating lost biomass and making Mommy and Daddy effectively part of him.

Yeah, Ridley's up there on the wall of most evil Nintendo villains for me, along with Porky, the Paper Mario villains, and whatever Fire Emblem antagonists there are.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Bowser is a simple man with simple pleasures. He just wants a pretty lady (and maybe rule mushroom kingdom too).

Inb4 we get some super complex story on Ridley that spans over several games. *hopes for a space pirate spin-off game (series)*

@ Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt
That sounds pretty evil. It'll be pretty hard for other Nintendo villains to top that.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
That sounds pretty evil. It'll be pretty hard for other Nintendo villains to top that.
Kirby villains MIGHT make it up there, but I tend to find that the Nintendo RPGs have no shortage of incredibly evil villains that could rival Ridley.

And now I'm imagining a Metroid with RPG elements, which could be either the best thing ever or another Other M...

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I approve of the new thread title.

As for villain discussion, Ridley is definitely up there. Surprised K. Rool hasn't been mentioned yet though.

I don't believe it's ever stated in-game or on manuals, but basically the reason K. Rool has his Kremling minions steal DK's bananas is to starve the kongs to death. Not as dark as eating someone's parents, but you got to admit that's still rather grim for a Nintendo antagonist.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I approve of the new thread title.

As for villain discussion, Ridley is definitely up there. Surprised K. Rool hasn't been mentioned yet though.

I don't believe it's ever stated in-game or on manuals, but basically the reason K. Rool has his Kremling minions steal DK's bananas is to starve the kongs to death. Not as dark as eating someone's parents, but you got to admit that's still rather grim for a Nintendo antagonist.
Not to mention he's one of the few Nintendo baddies to be shown torturing characters. Remember what he was doing with Donkey Kong as Kaptain K. Rool?

It's been forever since I've played 64, but I think his plan was to effectively blow up DK Island with a huge laser, killing the Kongs.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Bowser is more like a cartoon super villian then anything else in the same vein of the 80s TMNT Shedder, Cobra Commander, and the like. He's a guy though he does evil things, but his plans are often times over elaborate to the point of a flaw and he constantly talks about how bad and how evil he is when in reality he's been shown several times to change his ways when it suits him.

Ridley on the other hand displays far more brutal behavior. His method of attack and his heavily offensive nature are obiviously intended to slaughter and tear his victims apart. Ridley doesn't seem to interested in games or hamming up his appearances to show off. He's just kind of monster seeking a kill.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ridley enjoys seeing people suffer. He not only killed and ate Samus' parents; he taunted her about how he did it. There was no reason for him to do that. He could have just killed her outright. But he didn't. He wanted to see her suffer.

(Is the manga canon? Because it should be.)

AndreaAC

Ridley enjoys seeing people suffer. He not only killed and ate Samus' parents; he taunted her about how he did it. There was no reason for him to do that. He could have just killed her outright. But he didn't. He wanted to see her suffer.

(Is the manga canon? Because it should be.)
I think it is canon....Other M got some stuff from it....but it seems Sakamoto forgot some IMPORTANT things...but oh well...

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm not really sure, given the games Samus and Ridley seem to have exchanged no dialogue which is part of what makes Ridley from someone like Bowser or even K Rool, who has a bit of a sadistic streak to him, different if you exclude the magna from canon. If your only looking at the games, Ridley has really only attempted to kill Samus and not much else. Ridley doesn't appear to be interested of doing much else but other then killing Samus.

Other then in Other M, that's been the same thing with Samus as well. Samus has never really been shown to have any other interaction with him other then 'I'm going to blow you up again'.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm still hoping for a Metroid that explores Samus' rivalry with Ridley and her being raised by the Chozo. That would make for an interesting game.

Typs

Smash Cadet
Am l the only one who think nintendo should rewrite samus backstory?
Not completely of course (The "ridley kills samus parents, then she is raised by the chozo" part should stay) But i feel like the manga wasn't that good (not bad, just ok) and some detail could be changed for the better, plus a game that follow samus from the day she lost her parents to the moment she becomes a bounty hunter would be pretty cool IMO.

I'm still hoping for a Metroid that explores Samus' rivalry with Ridley and her being raised by the Chozo. That would make for an interesting game.
I'VE BEEN NINJA'D FOR THE FIRST TIME! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, if no one minds me bringing the topic back to Smash...

What would you think if Ridley were to be shown off on the Pyrosphere tomorrow? Specifically tomorrow, without much explanation from Sakurai. Would you take it as a de-confirmation?

9Volt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Star_Fox_Team
If Ridley is in, how gameplay wise you expect/hope he to be?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

What would you think if Ridley were to be shown off on the Pyrosphere tomorrow? Specifically tomorrow, without much explanation from Sakurai. Would you take it as a de-confirmation?
Depends on the circumstances, honestly.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I think it'd dump his chances a lot. There's of course the fact that it'd be Other M Ridley, aka just a clone, so I guess his chances wouldn't die completely, but if stage hazard Ridley is shown with no sign of playable Ridley anywhere I still think it's going to leave a big enough hit for me to consider his chances at least very slim.

Reverse Little Mac basically. Instead of being a small light weight character who's strong on the ground but weak in the air, he'd probably be a big heavy weight character who's strong in the air but slow and clunky on the ground.

D

Deleted member

Probably yes, but since he can deconfirm any char tomorrow, there is no reason to be Ridley.
Also, I'm new in this thread, and from my signature Ridley is my most realistic and wanted newcomer(I want to see Shokio's reaction when Ridley gets confirmed:chuckle:)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Depends on the circumstances, honestly.
Let's say that a close up picture of Ridley in flight is shown with the Pyrosphere in the background. No other characters (or anything that would help give perspective) would be shown in the image.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Well, I would imagine him to be middle weight: Though as large as, if not bigger than Bowser, his lankiness cancels his heavyweight potential.

As for gameplay style, I expect him to be utterly savage and brutal, using his fireballs, tail, jaws, claws and talons to their full potential. Nothing graceful or overly complex, just sheer berserker rage.

His Final Smash could be either calling in a Space Pirate raid or gaining buffs a la Meta Ridley or Armored Ridley.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Let's say that a close up picture of Ridley in flight is shown with the Pyrosphere in the background. No other characters (or anything that would help give perspective) would be shown in the image.
It would depend on the caption for me. I would probably take it as a disconfirmation.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Kirby villains MIGHT make it up there, but I tend to find that the Nintendo RPGs have no shortage of incredibly evil villains that could rival Ridley.

And now I'm imagining a Metroid with RPG elements, which could be either the best thing ever or another Other M...
Tricking someone into helping you the whole game pretending to be their friend, just to get something, then destroying their planet first is a pretty evil thing to do.
Possessing Dedede so Kirby has to fight his "friend" against their will is another pretty evil thing to do.

Aside from that, It's basicly just bosses that go "I will destroy/control everything" while having the "2 spooky 4 me" theme going on.

The final bosses in Kirby games would probably be spookier than metroid bosses if it weren't for Meta Knight hogging the spotlight by being the toughest (and coolest) challenge in the kirby games. Kinda like how Final bosses in Metroid are underwhelming because of Ridley, but to a lesser extent than Meta Knight. In Metroid you're pretty much expecting some giant monster, since they are there all the freakin time. I tend to go "okay where's the weakpoint" rather than "OMG they are huge!".

As for Ridley being revealed for a stage hazard, it'd hurt his chances a lot yeah, but still possible. Afterall, look at what happened to Toon Link.

I do worry about Sakurai thinking that Ridley has to be slow. I always viewed him as being the fastest of the metroid bosses. I never noticed the size difference between Ridley and Samus that much..... Of course I didn't notice that TP Ganondorf shrunk so much when he was brought into Brawl either.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I still find the chances of there being a Ridley hazard on Pyrosphere very slim, but if it did happen I would take it as an outright disconfirmation.

If he's a stage hazard, then we might as well say that Palutena is a stage element considering that the quote for the KI Wii U stage specifically says that "she's watching over the area".

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I still find the chances of there being a Ridley hazard on Pyrosphere very slim, but if it did happen I would take it as an outright disconfirmation.

If he's a stage hazard, then we might as well say that Palutena is a stage element considering that the quote for the KI Wii U stage specifically says that "she's watching over the area".
combine that with the fact we know for sure that playable characters can appear in the stage backgrounds when not selected (inb4alfanzo). Even if we did see him as a stage hazard that might not be the end of it, although many would claim it is, but with that possibility in mind we cant know for sure until we see the final roster.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Tricking someone into helping you the whole game pretending to be their friend, just to get something, then destroying their planet first is a pretty evil thing to do.
Possessing Dedede so Kirby has to fight his "friend" against their will is another pretty evil thing to do.

Aside from that, It's basicly just bosses that go "I will destroy/control everything" while having the "2 spooky 4 me" theme going on.

The final bosses in Kirby games would probably be spookier than metroid bosses if it weren't for Meta Knight hogging the spotlight by being the toughest (and coolest) challenge in the kirby games. Kinda like how Final bosses in Metroid are underwhelming because of Ridley, but to a lesser extent than Meta Knight. In Metroid you're pretty much expecting some giant monster, since they are there all the freakin time. I tend to go "okay where's the weakpoint" rather than "OMG they are huge!".

As I said, regular Kirby villains might qualify for being a bunch of scary-looking entities, but the RPG villains are a lot more memorable and diabolical in general.Off the top of my head of outstanding baddies for how evil they act include Majora, Dimentio, The Shroobs, Yuga, Porky Minch, and Ghirahim, but I digress.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
combine that with the fact we know for sure that playable characters can appear in the stage backgrounds when not selected (inb4alfanzo). Even if we did see him as a stage hazard that might not be the end of it, although many would claim it is, but with that possibility in mind we cant know for sure until we see the final roster.
You're forgetting that Toon Link is a veteran. He's a very popular character among Smash players, and Sakurai himself considers having two Links to be essential. Ridley on the other hand, is a potential newcomer, and has had differing roles in each Smash game he's appeared in.

The only way Ridley can be both a stage hazard and playable would be that if he were confirmed to be playable first, and then described to be a stage hazard in a later pic of the day.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Wow, every time I visit this thread it has a new name.

At this point after a lot of pyrosphere pics I don't find likely that Ridley is a stage hazard.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Is Ridley playable yet?
No? That sucks

Top Bottom