• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No, bad Oasis. I will get the rolled up newspaper with sock garters tied to it.

I imagine the tip of Samus' shoulders/nacho compartment would be about where Rosalina reaches, who would probably just barely reach the platform when standing neutrally. With that in mind, I think only the back of Ridley's head and tips of his wings would clip.
I think a perfect comparison would be if we could get the tallest characters on the Smash 4 Battlefield stage. That would give us a good idea of the heights of the tallest characters. I know Rosalina goes pretty well past the platforms. At least I'm pretty sure she does height wise.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
View attachment 11082
Took the same picture, made Ridley more reasonable, is now roughly 1.5 or more times the size of Samus, which is 9'4 1/2" at minimum. And those wings had to be shrunk.
Looking at this, I REALLY hope this isn't the Ridley that's getting in. So unpleasing to the eye, it's terrible.

The size is good though

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
Looking at this, I REALLY hope this isn't the Ridley that's getting in. So unpleasing to the eye, it's terrible.

The size is good though
Besides the fact that it is the Other M model I think that the only reason that it looks so unpleasant is just because of the different art styles that are between them. If he was fitted for that game it would look more natural.

And I also agree that the size is good for him.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Am I the only one here who doesn't hate the Other M design?

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
Actually I don't really hate it either but for me, Metroid Prime being my first Metroid game, I will always love Meta Ridley and I don't think that any of the other versions can compare to that one. Anyway long story short I like that design.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
While it's not my favorite and there's some quirks with it (the beak being the big one), I still like the design, particularly the concept art and DoA appearance as the Other M model admittedly does not look the best.

Other then that, I agree with Silver on that the thing with the design that we do have to remember is that there's a contrast between the two different art directions, which would of course make him stand out a lot more. If he was adapted to the Smash art style, he'd probably fit in better. Another thing is Sakurai can always update the design like he did with Samus, which would make it more appealing to us.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I certainly don't hate the design (e.g., I don't hate the concept, as I said a few pages back), but the model they gave him is beyond atrocious. Hopefully Sakurai will have enough sense to base Roidley on his concept art rather than his in-game model.

That said, Sakurai will do the best he can with Ridley's model to make him look appealing, design-wise. I have confidence in him in that capacity, if nothing else.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

Love and Hate are two sides of the same coin.:p
42A571_0D47E4B98395E_000.gif

"...Oh, dear...."

xD poor Rids...oh well, like someone said "From hate to love, there is only one step" xD it is something in spanish i don't know if that's how it is said in english...

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
At the risk of being a heretic, I've been warming up to the Mother M design for a while now. Looks muscular and fits in a bit more at times compared to the more lanky Super Metroid design.

I think the concept art for Other M Ridley looks cool. Its face seems to look better when viewed from the front compared to Super Metroid Ridley.
The Super Metroid face looks better when viewed from the side, though.

I see some people say that Ridley's Smash design should be a cross of the Super Metroid and Other M designs, and I agree with them.

Or better yet: have the Super Metroid and Other M designs as separate costumes...

P.S. Oasis should've renamed the title, "Obsessed with crack and hoes"

----

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Give me Concept Other M Ridley or give me death.

Or a design that has nothing to do with Other M. I'd be fine with that too.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I've actually grown to like the design because of this thread, and think that the muscular build he has would probably translate better to Smash. But then again, the Other M design does have some quirky attributes which just don't look good... I'd actually root for an original Ridley design for Smash, something recognizable obviously though, like bits and pieces of classic and this new design.

OdangoKnight

Smash Cadet
With E3 not far I might as well make an account, stop lurking, and post here. Dunno if this pic helps at all, resized the wings (poorly) and shrunk him down. The bottom one looks very compact but I'm worried about those wings clipping with the platforms when he's slightly bigger. ech

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
When you compare OM Ridley with the classic Super and Prime designs, it just looks ugly no matter what angle.

Also this thread seems to be losing its dignity and sanity ever so slowly...

Mega Dunsparce

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3695-1145-1866
Probably Lóng, Ryū, or Bolla. The former two are Asian (Chinese and Japanese, respectively) and the latter is European (Albanian, specifically). Unless you're referring specifically to the term used for all flightless, four-legged dragons, in which case, I haven't a clue.
You are correct and a specific term for flightless would be drake.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That fire breathing picture though... His face...
That's just a rough sketch to show how his movements work, there's not much detail put into such things. Samus looks like she's wearing Meta Knight's mask too.

Ridley is confirmed people say now? Why is this?
Haven't heard anyone say he's confirmed, and obviously he isn't, not sure why anyone would say so.

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I found this in the rumors & leaks thread ,it's about the "villains&e-shop" thing :

"Oh my gosh what if the next direct showcased all those villains. Imagine it starts like a regular direct then the lights to out and I ways screams. Then the lights come on and all the Villains are all there. This time we would like to do something different. We are running the direct. First we have a special look at super smash bros also know as super smash villains. Cue trailer for their characters. Then they show off games staring them. This is how April's direct should to."

It would be great :D also because Ridley is one of them
it also explains why Masahiro didn't confirm anyone this month

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
"Oh my gosh what if the next direct showcased all those villains. Imagine it starts like a regular direct then the lights to out and I ways screams. Then the lights come on and all the Villains are all there. This time we would like to do something different. We are running the direct. First we have a special look at super smash bros also know as super smash villains. Cue trailer for their characters. Then they show off games staring them. This is how April's direct should to."

Too in-line with crappy Disney direct-to-DVD movies.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I found this in the rumors & leaks thread ,it's about the "villains&e-shop" thing :

It would be great :D also because Ridley is one of them
it also explains why Masahiro didn't confirm anyone this month
That would be the ultimate dream come true. I doubt it but it's certainly possible and that's what Nintendo is setting up.

AndreaAC

If they put another Megaman rep, i would like that it was Bass and Treble.... :) i hope im getting free time to draw more Ridley stuff today....

AndreaAC

Bass is by far my fav megaman character... Back before brawl I made a moveset for him xD
when i played megaman with my cousins, i always used him, i like his and Treble's design...obviously not as much as Ridley's of course xD

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Anyways just went up against Ridley in super Metroid for the first time. Awesome boss battle.
Back when I first went up against him in Super Metroid he kicked my ass continuously. Obviously it's just because I sucked back then, he's not very difficult now a' days, but I have very fond memories of swearing my mouth off at Ridley in Super Metroid, so while it's simplistic I really love the battle.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Back when I first went up against him in Super Metroid he kicked my *** continuously. Obviously it's just because I sucked back then, he's not very difficult now a' days, but I have very fond memories of swearing my mouth off at Ridley in Super Metroid, so while it's simplistic I really love the battle.
I beat him on my third try ;)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I beat him on my third try ;)
That's quite a bit better than my first time facing him. I had to face him ~8 times before he was down, trying all kinds of whacky Power Bomb techniques and what not out of desperation. Finally got him when I learned the power of how fast you actually can shoot off a Charge Beam shot.

AndreaAC

xD I never beat him in the 2D games, instead i just watched my cousin playing and getting his butt kicked by him....it was awesome xD

Oh, and even when i let him face Omega Ridley, i never told him how to beat him, and like before, i just watched him getting his butt kicked by Ridley, but now in 3D :chuckle:

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
That's quite a bit better than my first time facing him. I had to face him ~8 times before he was down, trying all kinds of whacky Power Bomb techniques and what not out of desperation. Finally got him when I learned the power of how fast you actually can shoot off a Charge Beam shot.
I didn't even use the charge beam XD

Top Bottom