• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dinoman96

Smash Master
You know what argument against Ridley I find somewhat weak? "Well, they skipped him three times, why would they add him now?" I could see why he probably wasn't considered for 64 and Melee at all, and it's not just the size issue.

The thing is, Metroid was basically dead when 64 came out, and at that point, Metroid only had three games, Ridley being in two of them, and the first of those appearances as just as a small, unimportant mini-boss. It wasn't until after Melee that Ridley became a more prominent figure in the Metroid series.

I think it's safe to assume that Brawl was probably Ridley's first chance to actually become playable, and this game is his second chance.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sooo... How many Pyrosphere pictures are there and how many have something purple in them?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You know what argument against Ridley I find somewhat weak? "Well, they skipped him three times, why would they add him now?" I could see why he probably wasn't considered for 64 and Melee at all, and it's not just the size issue.

The thing is, Metroid was basically dead when 64 came out, and at that point, Metroid only had three games, Ridley being in two of them, and the first of those appearances as just as a small, unimportant mini-boss. It wasn't until after Melee that Ridley became a more prominent figure in the Metroid series.

I think it's safe to assume that Brawl was probably Ridley's first chance to actually become playable, and this game is his second chance.
And I'd not even be so sure about Brawl, since those characters were decided way early on, when Ridley was just another face in the crowd of Diddys and Dededes, rather than one of the biggest.

I think "somewhat weak" is being generous with regard to that argument. Other than the characters who weren't born at the time, every character was skipped over three times. Why would they add any of them now?

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Sooo... How many Pyrosphere pictures are there and how many have something purple in them?
21 pics.

As for anything that's purple, well, there's at least ten but all of them are either textures on characters or smash effects.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
21 pics.

As for anything that's purple, well, there's at least ten but all of them are either textures on characters or smash effects.
Thing is, I doubt that, if Ridley is the stage hazard of the Pyrosphere, they would most likely dedicate a whole picture of the day to him, rather than just have him be somewhat visible in the background of a random picture.

Which of course makes you wonder why they would go through all this trouble of hiding the hazard in all the pictures and footage of the stage we've seen so far...

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Even if Pyrosphere has some big, fancy hazard, it isn't Ridley.

The Dead or Alive version basically had the best possible "what Ridley would do if he could **** up people on this level" situation. Ridley acted with extreme violence toward anyone who came into range of him. There's literally nothing Sakurai could do to differentiate the Smash Pyrosphere's supposed Ridley hazard from the one in Dead or Alive, so it would essentially be the same exact stage with a different layout and playstyle, in both mood and execution.

I don't think that Pyrosphere's hazard will be Ridley purely on the virtue that Sakurai isn't going to implement something that was already done (extremely well) in another game if he can't improve on it in any way (without it seeming like a shameless rip). Pyrosphere with Big Bad Ridley has already been done, and well. We need EVERY stage with Big Bad Ridley.

Last edited:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
You know what argument against Ridley I find somewhat weak? "Well, they skipped him three times, why would they add him now?"
Sadly, this fallacious reasoning has been applied to several other potential-newcomers and even current veterans, as well. Nobody should tell me, without breaking composure and bursting into laughter, Pichu is more important than Pokemon Trainer.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Sooo, I don't know how long this has been a thing, but opening up the Nintendo 3DS eShop I'm greeted with

Caution! The Villains have taken over Nintendo eShop

And true to its word, there are 5 categories highlighted: Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario, Dr. Wily, and... yes, Ridley. Even though clicking him only redirects to the only Nintendo eShop game available (NES Metroid). Still, found it interesting how they included him despite there only being 1 game under his name.

Not really Smash related at all, but hey, it's pretty cool anyway. :)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Sooo, I don't know how long this has been a thing, but opening up the Nintendo 3DS eShop I'm greeted with

Caution! The Villains have taken over Nintendo eShop

And true to its word, there are 5 categories highlighted: Bowser, Ganondorf, Wario, Dr. Wily, and... yes, Ridley. Even though clicking him only redirects to the only Nintendo eShop game available (NES Metroid). Still, found it interesting how they included him despite there only being 1 game under his name.

Not really Smash related at all, but hey, it's pretty cool anyway. :)
if you hit ridley on thw Wii U Eshop Super Metroid is there as well.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Ridley is indeed a dragon yet if someone were to draw an argument, it would make more sense if they were to compare him to a wvyern.
I've seen so many people, or maybe just you over and over, say Ridley is more of a wyvern than a dragon, which I never understood since my understanding of a wyvern is that it's basically a dragon with two legs, if any. Ridley has, like, AT LEAST three legs so he's way more a dragon than wyvern.

I think just calling him a space dragon is pretty accurate and simple enough. I mean he's just another alien, who happens to look like a dragon (though I guess there isn't necessarily a technicality with the word dragon that implies it must be from Earth?), with a head similar to a pterosaur's.

Mega Dunsparce

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3695-1145-1866
I've seen so many people, or maybe just you over and over, say Ridley is more of a wyvern than a dragon, which I never understood since my understanding of a wyvern is that it's basically a dragon with two legs, if any. Ridley has, like, AT LEAST three legs so he's way more a dragon than wyvern.

I think just calling him a space dragon is pretty accurate and simple enough. I mean he's just another alien, who happens to look like a dragon (though I guess there isn't necessarily a technicality with the word dragon that implies it must be from Earth?), with a head similar to a pterosaur's.
Dude try to actually read my post.

Dude try to actually read my post.
Ridley is indeed a dragon yet if someone were to draw an argument, it would make more sense if they were to compare him to a wvyern.
There.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well look at his sig he's just embarrassed he's not as Strong as me when it comes to dragonology. I mean, I played Skyrim for a few minutes and visited Bad Dragon, I know a thing or two.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Well look at his sig he's just embarrassed he's not as Strong as me when it comes to dragonology. I mean, I played Skyrim for a few minutes and visited Bad Dragon, I know a thing or two.
Yeah and I bought that one book about dragons. I'm surely one of the most knowledgeable of all of you.

I also used to play "super jetpack dragon" all the time.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I think you should ask Oasis.....xD since im guessing he was the one who changed the thread's title.....

Last edited:

Mega Dunsparce

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3695-1145-1866
If you know so much about dragons than answer this, what is a four legged dragon that doesn't have wings?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
If you know so much about dragons than answer this, what is a four legged dragon that doesn't have wings?
Probably Lóng, Ryū, or Bolla. The former two are Asian (Chinese and Japanese, respectively) and the latter is European (Albanian, specifically). Unless you're referring specifically to the term used for all flightless, four-legged dragons, in which case, I haven't a clue.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
You know I really don't care if they use his Other M design, even though it is terrible compared to his normal design, but as long as I get to play as an awesome purple space dragon I really don't care. I would just be happy that he is in the game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Thoughts, gentlemen?
I would like to say that while that looks workable, that I would like to see him placed in Battlefield so that I can see a picture with him clipping through the platforms, simply because that is the only way I could see him making sense. I've seen pictures of him where he's just underneath them, whereas Bowser clips them. He's got to be at least as tall, if not TALLER than Bowser in Smash.

Granted that second picture makes him pretty big compared to Little Mac. So I would say that would work, and it certainly looks like he's definitely clipping through the platforms. So I would say I am satisfied with that size.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
ur mom ROFLMAO

I am like a decade your Senior and I really don't feel any Shame.
Is there any particular reason you always capitalize and bold the letter s whenever you use it?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
No, bad Oasis. I will get the rolled up newspaper with sock garters tied to it.

I would like to say that while that looks workable, that I would like to see him placed in Battlefield so that I can see a picture with him clipping through the platforms, simply because that is the only way I could see him making sense. I've seen pictures of him where he's just underneath them, whereas Bowser clips them. He's got to be at least as tall, if not TALLER than Bowser in Smash.

Granted that second picture makes him pretty big compared to Little Mac. So I would say that would work, and it certainly looks like he's definitely clipping through the platforms. So I would say I am satisfied with that size.
I imagine the tip of Samus' shoulders/nacho compartment would be about where Rosalina reaches, who would probably just barely reach the platform when standing neutrally. With that in mind, I think only the back of Ridley's head and tips of his wings would clip.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's just my Signature.

HA. That was a very funny joke full of references that only I will get, but perhaps you will to by the end of this post. It began as a joke that I didn't know what the S in my name stood for. So I'd type my name out as Oasis_Scrotalwrinkles, for example. So eventually I just started bolding S's in general.

Top Bottom