• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So, um, did anyone see the new pic of the day? Koume and Kotake are apparently stage hazards on the Gerudo Valley stage, months after the stage itself was introduced.

I'm legitimately scared (and angry) right now.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So, um, did anyone see the new pic of the day? Koume and Kotake are apparently stage hazards on the Gerudo Valley stage, months after the stage itself was introduced.

We got a clue there was a stage hazard in an earlier pic.

Pyrosphere shows no evidence of changing. And there is a LOT of evidence.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
We got a clue there was a stage hazard in an earlier pic.

Pyrosphere shows no evidence of changing. And there is a LOT of evidence.
I hope you're right.

The good thing is that Sakurai greatly prefers to post Wii U pics of the day over 3DS version. And I completely forgot about the picture you were talking about there, so remembering that should ease my worries.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
We've only seen a small handful of Gerudo Valley pics, and one of them showcased a portion of it's hazard quite a while prior to today: The fire, which destroys the bridge on the stage.

As for the Pyrosphere, we've seen tons of Pyrosphere pics, with like, two of them showcasing something relevant to the stage itself. One of them was it's reveal pic, and the other was for a tunnel. I'm still betting that the Pyrosphere doesn't have any sort of hazard.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master

We haven't seen anything as out of place and random as a burning bridge on Pyrosphere. Koume obviously did that. I'm very excited to see Twinrova finally in Smash Bros

Also, they have no outline, I'm taking this hype to the Palutena thread.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
This is only the 3rd pic of the day showing off Gerudo Valley, we've seen 14 pic's of the day showing off the Pyrosphere, they had plenty of opportunities to show off Ridley, but they never did.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This basically sounds like a similar situation with the Kid Icarus stage on the 3DS. We've barely seen any pictures of the stage, and while the cause of the hazard has only now been revealed, we were aware of the presence of a hazard for quite some time now. We've still seen the Pyrosphere numerous times and without any hint to the stage even being dangerous.

So, I'm thinking this doesn't change much. Although on another note, this is the third character de-confirmation we've had in a row. First Waluigi, then Dedenne, and now Koume and Kotake. Things are starting to get interesting...

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
This basically sounds like a similar situation with the Kid Icarus stage on the 3DS. We've barely seen any pictures of the stage, and while the cause of the hazard has only now been revealed, we were aware of the presence of a hazard for quite some time now. We've still seen the Pyrosphere numerous times and without any hint to the stage even being dangerous.

So, I'm thinking this doesn't change much. Although on another note, this is the third character de-confirmation we've had in a row. First Waluigi, then Dedenne, and now Koume and Kotake. Things are starting to get interesting...
Maybe this means that they are going to de-confirm a whole bunch of characters then this Friday he is going to make a "big" character reveal.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I think they're going to reveal Yoshi or Wario ....

btw I'M VERY ANGRY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ANOTHER TOOBIGOT BLOCKED ME ON MIIVERSE ONLY BECAUSE I SAID RIDLEY & MIIs CAN BE PLAYABLE !!!!!!!!!!
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I took the pic as "just because you don't see any foreseeable hazards doesn't mean there won't be any."

As False Sense did, I thought of the Kid Icarus stages. Viridi was shown for the 3DS one, and the statue was alluded to in the Wii U stage. Probably going to be nothing in the end, but I feel like KI reps have just as much if not more to worry about from this than we do.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon

ANOTHER TOOBIGOT BLOCKED ME ON MIIVERSE ONLY BECAUSE I SAID RIDLEY & MIIs CAN BE PLAYABLE !!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you ought to calm down... o_O

If they're blocking you over such a simple statement, then they're doing you a favor. Think of it that way. Not like you're being banned for having a view.

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious. What will become of this thread if Ridley doesn't make it even still after his highly requests from the west? if a new Metroid title is confirmed, what will be Ridley's new form? will it still be his Other M appearance since it wasn't exactly destroyed in Other M? I don't see this thread having any other purpose besides being a Ridley fan club since I can guess every Ridley topic has been discussed multiple times. For this thread's own good, it should probably be locked if Ridley's demand from the west isn't powerful enough to get him in Smash 4 until he does get confirmed in a future Smash Bros title. *If* it will be to clear if Ridley fails this time, Sakurai doesn't want him in.

For Ridley. Its now or never.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Maybe you ought to calm down... o_O

If they're blocking you over such a simple statement, then they're doing you a favor. Think of it that way. Not like you're being banned for having a view.
The point is that I hate when stupid people block someone only because he wants a possible character instead of a lot of useless third party characters or impossible 4th party characters

and .... I don't see how they did me a favor ....

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I'm curious. What will become of this thread if Ridley doesn't make it even still after his highly requests from the west? if a new Metroid title is confirmed, what will be Ridley's new form? will it still be his Other M appearance since it wasn't exactly destroyed in Other M? I don't see this thread having any other purpose besides being a Ridley fan club since I can guess every Ridley topic has been discussed multiple times. For this thread's own good, it should probably be locked if Ridley's demand from the west isn't powerful enough to get him in Smash 4 until he does get confirmed in a future Smash Bros title. *If* it will be to clear if Ridley fails this time, Sakurai doesn't want him in.

For Ridley. Its now or never.
I don't think so, even if Ridley doesn't get in this time, I believe he'll still have a chance to get in the 5th smash game. To me, Ridley is one of the main reasons I play the Metroid games, removing Ridley form the Metroid series is almost like removing Meta Knight from the Kirby series (Though now Meta Knight is no longer a boss, he's a playable character. Though his boss fight is replaced by the "NOT META KNIGHT" Galacta Knight for hard mode, which I love, filling the same Ridley role that Meta Knight filled.)
I mean sure they could decide to never bring back Ridley in a Metroid game, but I think that'd be a foolish decision.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I also wondered what would happen to this thread when Ridley is confirmed or most unlikely deconfirmed....He and this thread are the reasons i decided to make an acount here.....so...if it happens to get locked or something....i will get all my drawings and stuff down....maybe not....i don't know.

I really hope Ridley makes it this time.....

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Characters usually get a social thread, so that'll be where to share stuff like drawings and such. The only difference between now and Ridley's confirmation is that instead of having a single thread we'll have a whole board to go nuts with.

The thread will stay up if he is deconfirmed though, as has been the case with others like Toad. Will likely just become a social thread for Ridley fans and the few people who'll believe that regular Ridley still has a chance since it'll inevitably be Other Ridley who'll bring forth the deconfirmation if anything.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Characters usually get a social thread, so that'll be where to share stuff like drawings and such. The only difference between now and Ridley's confirmation is that instead of having a single thread we'll have a whole board to go nuts with.

The thread will stay up if he is deconfirmed though, as has been the case with others like Toad. Will likely just become a social thread for Ridley fans and the few people who'll believe that regular Ridley still has a chance since it'll inevitably be Other Ridley who'll bring forth the deconfirmation if anything.
I have an uneasy feeling that's exactly what's going to happen. Sakurai will show Other M Ridley as a stage hazard, and won't reveal the fact that classic Ridley has been playable all along until launch. :facepalm: :glare:

D

Deleted member

Or....Ridley is a stage hazard.....
But a very rare one, and when he appears, you can kill him.
When you do, after the match ends, you fight Ridley to unlock him.

:troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

AndreaAC

im really glad to hear that.....because i really like to share my Ridley stuff here, and even if it is going to be Other Ridley the one that is going to be in smash....i want him confirmed anyway.....later they may find a solution with alternate appearences (not just color palettes) for him.....for the ones that are not found of that design yet, like me....or i will get used to it when he is playable, but i still wouldn't like it....

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
im really glad to hear that.....because i really like to share my Ridley stuff here, and even if it is going to be Other Ridley the one that is going to be in smash....i want him confirmed anyway.....later they may find a solution with alternate appearences (not just color palettes) for him.....for the ones that are not found of that design yet, like me....or i will get used to it when he is playable, but i would still don't like it....
It's also worth noting that Ridley's inclusion now would also be an "investment" to the future. A new Metroid is undoubtedly going to be on the Wii U (and probably the 3DS too), which means a new Ridley design, which means that in future Smash installments Ridley will have a new design, likely much better than the Other M design. I'm okay with his Other M look personally, though I sure wasn't to begin with.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It might be just me, but from comparing the stages between the Wii U and 3DS versions the 3DS version seems to have more stage hazards and gimmicks than the Wii U version's stages.

The only Wii U stages to explicitly have either hazards or (presumably) gimmicks that are intolerable to tournament play are: Dr. Wiley's castle, Wuhu Island, Mario Galaxy, and the Boxing Ring. The 3DS version has, in comparison:
  • Reset Bomb Forest
  • the New Leaf stage
  • Find Mii
  • Rainbow Road
  • New Mushroom Kingdom
  • Living Room
  • Gerudo Valley
  • Spirit Train
As you can see, that's A LOT of stages. I think I'm starting to see another difference between the two games now; if the 3DS is considered to be the more casual system because of its larger player base, then I bet that Sakurai and Namco-Bandai will turn their attention towards that version when it comes to party-oriented gameplay (I.e. Brawl) The Wii U version will probably be the game that's geared towards competitive players who want stages that don't rely on gimmicky features in order to be fun.

There's also the fact that, like others have said before, that we have had plenty of pictures and footage of the Pyrosphere, but with no signs of a potential stage hazard in any of them.

AndreaAC

It's also worth noting that Ridley's inclusion now would also be an "investment" to the future. A new Metroid is undoubtedly going to be on the Wii U (and probably the 3DS too), which means a new Ridley design, which means that in future Smash installments Ridley will have a new design, likely much better than the Other M design. I'm okay with his Other M look personally, though I sure wasn't to begin with.
if that new metroid game is going to be made by Retro, there's no doubt that they will give Ridley a awesome design, maybe their idea of Ridley in his organic form after his defeat as Omega....

And it is just that, that design was the thing that made me hate the game when they showed the trailers for the first time, and all the teasing my cousins did, like singing Ridley's theme while making a duck sound...i couldn't get over that, and there was a time that i nearly accept it, just because it "was" Ridley, but when they showed the evolutionary line.....that was it, i hated it to the end of the world....

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I always figured that if Retro ever got around to making a non-robotic ridley, it would probably be the greatest design he could possibly have. I'm hoping that's what their new game will bring.

AndreaAC

Yeah, Retro knows how to make outstanding designs in metroid, and Meta and Omega are a great example, i do not care about the boss fights, just the designs, and those were ones i loved deeply, even with all those metallic implants (and a bit of organic tissue in the case of Omega), they still resemble the fully organic purple and anorexic mother cracker i fell in love with when i first saw him in Super Metroid a long time ago.....

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
will it still be his Other M appearance since it wasn't exactly destroyed in Other M?
Just to clarify (some rather not-so-spoilers)
Metroid: Other M takes place after Super Metroid and before Metroid Fusion. Other M explains and sets up a lot of things that happen in Fusion (Adam, certain bosses, etc.). One of the things implied in Other M is how/why Ridley's rotting corpse winds up frozen in the BSL Research Station, pictured here. Given that after the post-game, by which time the Galactic Federation has arrived at the Bottle Ship to retrieve certain elements, Ridley's body is nowhere to be found, it's safe to assume that he went on to be transferred to the aforementioned BSL, and went on to become infected by an X Parasite, which is fought as a boss in Metroid Fusion.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
if that new metroid game is going to be made by Retro, there's no doubt that they will give Ridley a awesome design, maybe their idea of Ridley in his organic form after his defeat as Omega....

And it is just that, that design was the thing that made me hate the game when they showed the trailers for the first time, and all the teasing my cousins did, like singing Ridley's theme while making a duck sound...i couldn't get over that, and there was a time that i nearly accept it, just because it "was" Ridley, but when they showed the evolutionary line.....that was it, i hated it to the end of the world....
Well retro did announce they are making another game and they did mention about there most recent game made is DKCTF

So if its a metroid game ridley May gain a whopping 30% more likely to be announce playable (and if the form if its a metroid game is different from the other m one we may get that ridley)

Oh and as for the Potd it does not hurt ridley at all they already hinted them as hazards from the picture of the bridge on fire.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
When I think about it, Ridley's Other M design was probably at least partially inspired by pterodactyls. Considering how other enemies in the game are based on prehistoric creatures. Rhedogian for example is blatantly based on an Anomalocaris, and there's this other enemy that looks like some cyborg horseshoe-crab.

The upwards curve on his beak is common among many pterodactyls, and I personally never saw it as a duck beak, probably because I love dinosaurs so I never made the connection, but also because I have a pretty sharp eye for detail and Ridley never looked like a duck to me. (Ridley has a pointy face, ducks don't)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well retro did announce they are making another game and they did mention about there most recent game made is DKCTF

So if its a metroid game ridley May gain a whopping 30% more likely to be announce playable (and if the form if its a metroid game is different from the other m one we may get that ridley)

Oh and as for the Potd it does not hurt ridley at all they already hinted them as hazards from the picture of the bridge on fire.
I don't see why Ridley's chances would be increased with the announcement of a new Metroid game. Smash 4 takes everything from Other M, so as far as I'm aware that's all that matter. Plus, Retro has only been working on it for a couple of months iirc, so it's also likely that the game wasn't even a thing when Sakurai did the planning for Smash 4.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah, Sakurai probably already decided whether Ridley would be in the game before it entered development. But hey, it adds to Ridley's resume at least.

EDIT: Question though. I tried looking this up and couldn't find it anywhere. Does Ridley have healing capabilities that would allow him to regenerate to an organic form between Prime 3 and Super Metroid?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Maybe i see it like a duck because, from all the designs Ridley has, it is the only one with his beak upwards, and with the lower jaw being longer than the upper one, and maybe i see him like that because of my overall hate to it

Samus_grasped_by_Ridley_Plasma_Beam_charge_Geothermal_Power_Plant_Pyrosphere_HD.jpg

that's why i see it as a duck....even if it was probably based from a pterodactyl.....anyway, everyone has their different opinions about it, so, mine is not going to change for now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

EDIT: Question though. I tried looking this up and couldn't find it anywhere. Does Ridley have healing capabilities that would allow him to regenerate to an organic form between Prime 3 and Super Metroid?
He can regenerate by eating flesh of other life forms.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Awkwardly enough, looking at that picture, his face doesn't look quite as bad as I remember. His jaws do look too flimsy though.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior

You know, I think he might just have blocked you because of that Mii part....I know I would.

:troll:
It might be just me, but from comparing the stages between the Wii U and 3DS versions the 3DS version seems to have more stage hazards and gimmicks than the Wii U version's stages.

The only Wii U stages to explicitly have either hazards or (presumably) gimmicks that are intolerable to tournament play are: Dr. Wiley's castle, Wuhu Island, Mario Galaxy, and the Boxing Ring. The 3DS version has, in comparison:
  • Reset Bomb Forest
  • the New Leaf stage
  • Find Mii
  • Rainbow Road
  • New Mushroom Kingdom
  • Living Room
  • Gerudo Valley
  • Spirit Train
As you can see, that's A LOT of stages. I think I'm starting to see another difference between the two games now; if the 3DS is considered to be the more casual system because of its larger player base, then I bet that Sakurai and Namco-Bandai will turn their attention towards that version when it comes to party-oriented gameplay (I.e. Brawl) The Wii U version will probably be the game that's geared towards competitive players who want stages that don't rely on gimmicky features in order to be fun.

There's also the fact that, like others have said before, that we have had plenty of pictures and footage of the Pyrosphere, but with no signs of a potential stage hazard in any of them.
I entirely agree with this sentiment, and I also had noticed how Wii U stages have less gimmicks, although I wouldn't discard Wuhu Island and the Boxing Ring yet as far as tournaments go. Besides Battlefield, Pyrosphere looks like the most neutral stage yet, and hopefully it stays that way for Helix' sake.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Maybe i see it like a duck because, from all the designs Ridley has, it is the only one with his beak upwards, and with the lower jaw being longer than the upper one, and maybe i see him like that because of my overall hate to it

View attachment 9546

that's why i see it as a duck....even if it was probably based from a pterodactyl.....anyway, everyone has their different opinions about it, so, mine is not going to change for now.
I think the part that I hate the most about Ridley Kong is the texture that covers his body.

I dunno, it looks slimy and soggy and frog like and eugh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom