• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I think the part that I hate the most about Ridley Kong is the texture that covers his body.

I dunno, it looks slimy and soggy and frog like and eugh.
xD I just simply hate EVERYTHING about Ridley Kong, his evolutionary line, his on steroids body structure, his goddamned face, the texture also, the spikes everywhere, his color (it has an annoying tone of purple), his blood looks like mocus, and those green eyes, and that wierd tail with blade like tip.....again....i hate everything about it....

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think the part that I hate the most about Ridley Kong is the texture that covers his body.

I dunno, it looks slimy and soggy and frog like and eugh.
And it only gets better when Fusion decides to make him rotting, blue, and make grating banshee screams.

Clone Ridley just isn't as attractive, clearly.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
And it only gets better when Fusion decides to make him rotting, blue, and make grating banshee screams.

Clone Ridley just isn't as attractive, clearly.
At least it makes sense in Fusion because, well ****, it's an X infected zombie dragon.

Here, he's a healthy clone of Ridley, why is he so slimy, ugh.

AndreaAC

At least it makes sense in Fusion because, well ****, it's an X infected zombie dragon.

Here, he's a healthy clone of Ridley, why is he so slimy, ugh.
Exactly, and even if he is a rotten and blue zombie X infected dragon, he looks prettier than Roidley...

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Exactly, and even if he is a rotten and blue zombie infected dragon, he looks prettier than Roidley...
I'm going to disagree pretty heavily. In my opinion, one of the many things Fusion did worse than almost every game in the series included Ridley. They designed him unpleasantly, they made him sound terrible, and the fight was atrociously lame. Other M Ridley had more of an issue of preference as to whether his design is good or not, and all things considered the only thing they definitely messed up was giving him what appear to be a glass jaw.

When compared to other Ridleys like Meta, Omega, Zero Mission... Other M Ridley doesn't look that great, but Ridley X may as well just not exist.

AndreaAC

I'm going to disagree pretty heavily. In my opinion, one of the many things Fusion did worse than almost every game in the series included Ridley. They designed him unpleasantly, they made him sound terrible, and the fight was atrociously lame. Other M Ridley had more of an issue of preference as to whether his design is good or not, and all things considered the only thing they definitely messed up was giving him what appear to be a glass jaw.

When compared to other Ridleys like Meta, Omega, Zero Mission... Other M Ridley doesn't look that great, but Ridley X may as well just not exist.
I was being sarcastic, i know he looks ugly as Ridley-X (and there is a reason, that it was a X infected corpse, the X mekes everything they touch ugly), but forget about that one, like you said in comparison to his other forms and designs the Original Ridley had, Roidley is just an outrageous design to me.....and the ones who designed it, was team ninja, and the senseless evolutionary line was Sakamoto's idea, and i hate him and team ninja for that.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I was being sarcastic, i know he looks ugly as Ridley-X, forget about that one, but in comparison to his other forms and designs the Original Ridley had, Roidley is just an outrageous design to me.....and the ones who designed it, was team ninja, and the senseless evolutionary line was Sakamoto's idea, and i hate him and team ninja for that.
Yeah, I'm fine with Other M Ridley and I still like most of his other forms a lot more.

Though I don't think it's entirely fair to judge his forms based off how they appear in the game, because to be honest I've seen them drawn officially and unofficially and they looked pretty nice. Even the lizard form, which I actually really dislike.

I'm not sure where exactly the problem was in how the models came out in the game itself, but the designs themselves can actually be made to look nice with pretty negligible changes on paper from what I've seen.

AndreaAC

Yeah, I'm fine with Other M Ridley and I still like most of his other forms a lot more.

Though I don't think it's entirely fair to judge his forms based off how they appear in the game, because to be honest I've seen them drawn officially and unofficially and they looked pretty nice. Even the lizard form, which I actually really dislike.

I'm not sure where exactly the problem was in how the models came out in the game itself, but the designs themselves can actually be made to look nice with pretty negligible changes on paper from what I've seen.
Yeah, maybe, but even if someone else could come up with a better design for him, the way he "evolves" is just something i still woudn't like, he is not a Xenomorph (they already did that with the Metroids, so why him now?) and he is not a pokemon....

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'm going to disagree pretty heavily. In my opinion, one of the many things Fusion did worse than almost every game in the series included Ridley. They designed him unpleasantly, they made him sound terrible, and the fight was atrociously lame.
Again, it makes sense because of it being a reanimated corpse infected with a virus. Obviously it'd be a distorted, unpleasant, erratic version of the host. To me I think they nailed that feel pretty well.

The fight itself was meh, sure, but fun nonetheless.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Again, it makes sense because of it being a reanimated corpse infected with a virus. Obviously it'd be a distorted, unpleasant, erratic version of the host. To me I think they nailed that feel pretty well.

The fight itself was meh, sure, but fun nonetheless.
I think they could have definitely done a better job. When I say it looks aesthetically unpleasant I don't mean "Ew it looks like a rotting dragon corpse" because obviously that's the point. But it looks like an old Yugioh monster with purple splotches all over it and all I can think is "They could have done a better job with literally every aspect of Ridley X."

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
Even if the design of Ridley wasn't that great in Fusion, I still have to say that was one of my favorite Metroid games that they have made.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Personally I think it's a tie between Ridley-X and Brawl-Ridley on who is the worst. Ridley-X is badly disproportioned and overall not pleasant to look at (his constant screeching doesn't help either). Brawl-Ridley looks like they just directly translated his Super Metroid artwork into a model with a massive overbite, ugly colourscheme and he's just Dynablade 2.0 when you fight him.

AndreaAC

Even if Ridley looks a bit wierd in Brawl, i still think he looks better than Other Ridley and Ridley-X, maybe because it was the first design of him that i learned to draw...and like i have said before, i do not care about the boss fight, just the designs...but that's just me

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Brawl Ridley looks good while flying. nothing else though.

Other M Ridley can actually look natural when fighting on the ground.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
IS RIDLEY IN YET?
Still No? .... Okay I'll check back tomorrow

AndreaAC

Brawl Ridley looks good while flying. nothing else though.

Other M Ridley can actually look natural when fighting on the ground.
Maybe, but, while i still do not care about the boss fights, Brawl Ridley in design looks better maybe because it resembles the classic look, but Roidley in the other hand, does not....then again, that's just me.....

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, I've never liked Omega Ridley's design. Looks so weird and clunky to me, especially his face, something about just doesn't feel right to me.

AndreaAC

To be honest, I've never liked Omega Ridley's design. Looks so weird and clunky to me, especially his face, something about just doesn't feel right to me.
:) I like that design meybe because i still see some resemblance to his classic design anyway, i like his color scheme and that he is indeed half mecha, because he shows a little bit of organic tissue, and many other things....but, i will never stop saying that it is just me...

and yeah, every time i try to draw him, one of the main problems i have with him are his eyes...

@Crocovile don't worry, its fine

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Meta and Omega Ridley are okay designs, but they are a bit weird imo. Meta Ridley's half metal, half organic face is super weird, and Omega Ridley's eyes are way too small, plus his upper jaw looks weird. They're okay designs, Meta Ridley's wingspan is what makes him cool, and Omega Ridley's stance and animations are what saves that, but it seems more like they're degrading the original Super Metroid design in general. I'd like to see Retro's take on a fully organic Ridley.

Brawl Ridley is by far the best design imo, looks cool and intimidating but still a bit goofy, it has lots of personality. Neo-Ridley is the ugliest, I know it's a abomination clone of an abomination clone, but ugh those lanky blue limbs.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Fusion was a very cool game. Too bad Ridley wasn't a part of it after his frozen body crumbled because of the X.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Maybe i see it like a duck because, from all the designs Ridley has, it is the only one with his beak upwards, and with the lower jaw being longer than the upper one, and maybe i see him like that because of my overall hate to it

that's why i see it as a duck....even if it was probably based from a pterodactyl.....anyway, everyone has their different opinions about it, so, mine is not going to change for now.
At least Other M Ridley isn't using a Dog Mask.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Meta and Omega Ridley are okay designs, but they are a bit weird imo. Meta Ridley's half metal, half organic face is super weird, and Omega Ridley's eyes are way too small, plus his upper jaw looks weird. They're okay designs, Meta Ridley's wingspan is what makes him cool, and Omega Ridley's stance and animations are what saves that, but it seems more like they're degrading the original Super Metroid design in general. I'd like to see Retro's take on a fully organic Ridley.

Brawl Ridley is by far the best design imo, looks cool and intimidating but still a bit goofy, it has lots of personality. Neo-Ridley is the ugliest, I know it's a abomination clone of an abomination clone, but ugh those lanky blue limbs.
You are right, i love Meta Ridley and Omega, both of the design's wingspans are large, and i like the holographic efect they have on their wings, and many other things about both of those designs mede by Retro, and yeah, i hope to see a concept of a organic Ridley by them, xD I love brawl Ridley because it resembles the original look and the many expressions i can give to him with his "big" eyes, Omega Ridley has really small eyes indeed, but i like that they are still orange in color....

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
More like how he's structured, especially the lines on his face.

No offense @ AndreaAC AndreaAC
yeah i agree, theres far too much going on with his face as well. He looks like a beast wars transmetal character.

also the way he moves on the ground is a bit awkward, kinda like a guy in a costume.

Yh because K.Rool blows fire right?
LmAo
Um in DK jungle climber he could do that, go to about 11 minutes in

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I also wondered what would happen to this thread when Ridley is confirmed or most unlikely deconfirmed....He and this thread are the reasons i decided to make an acount here.....so...if it happens to get locked or something....i will get all my drawings and stuff down....maybe not....i don't know.

I really hope Ridley makes it this time.....
I was a huge lurker for a few months and it was this thread that made me make a account too.

Fellow space pirates how many people have you witnessed join this boards and they come straight to this thread to post there first post.

How beautiful is that?

I aint been here for that long but i think its been like more than 5 people for sure?

What about Veterans like Johnknight/WarioFan/EnteiGuy/Oasis/Ismar/scholosijohn etc and others!

My...they must have witnessed even more...serious theres a reason this is the only char thread i visit anymore it really is more than just a thread its a second home full of love and compasion people with diferrnt height, age, weight, race, skin colour and beliefs all united for the same cause!

400+ pages! Thats insane!! How? Just sit back and think...400+ pages...lol we aint no cult following we a ARMY.

Everyone pat themselves on the back You deserve it.

- RealTalk -

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I was a huge lurker for a few months and it was this thread that made me make a account too.

Fellow space pirates how many people have you witnessed join this boards and they come straight to this thread to post there first post.

How beautiful is that?

I aint been here for that long but i think its been like more than 5 people for sure?

What about Veterans like Johnknight/WarioFan/EnteiGuy/Oasis/Ismar/scholosijohn etc and others!

My...they must have witnessed even more...serious theres a reason this is the only char thread i visit anymore it really is more than just a thread its a second home full of love and compasion people with diferrnt height, age, weight, race, skin colour and beliefs all united for the same cause!

400+ pages! Thats insane!! How? Just sit back and think...400+ pages...lol we aint no cult following we a ARMY.

- RealTalk -
I remember when I first joined Smashboards, not too long after SSB4 was shown off at E3. This was the first thread that I posted in, and , if my memory serves to be correct, you were the first person to respond to something I said.

Of course, I've gone on to do more than support Ridley. But it's the Ridley thread that helped ease checking SB into my daily routine. It'd be awesome to see Ridley make it into SSB4 and see everything come full circle.

Last edited:

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
I will be honest too I actually made an account just so I could comment on this thread, albeit a joke for a first comment, but still I had made an account just to comment.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
A lot of people who dislike the addition of Ridley say that he would be nothing more than a dull Charizard clone.

Just like how King K. Rool is supposed to be like Bowser, but reskinned.
I've also heard some say Ridley would just be a Bowser with wings, and unfortunately Sakurai's "he might be a little slow" comment kinda justifies that... as far as what Ridley's ground gameplay might be like anyway. Aerial is another story.

The crazy ideas some people have...

I just finished typing a reply to somebody I replied to a few weeks back in one of the Ridley hater youtube vids. Fortunately the guy I was replying to for the most part is a Ridley supporter, so that's fine. HOWEVER...

He genuinely believes that Prime 3 Meta Ridley is AS BIG AS KRAID. o__O

I replied way back claiming that was a gross exaggeration. It's only now that I found that he replied back posting a pic of the scene where Samus was trying to shoot Meta Ridley in the mouth and a second pic of a comparison between Super Metroid Samus's sprite and Kraid's sprite. He some how surmised based on those pics that Meta Ridley was as big as Kraid just because Samus could technically fit in both their jaws...

Had to explain that ( 1 ) Samus was FORCING Ridley's mouth open and her knees were already buckling from the tight fit, and SM Samus stands straight up while a single jaw on Kraid is larger than SM Samus, and ( 2 ) Ridley's head in general is very large in proportion to the rest of his body while Kraid's head doesn't even account for 1/4th of his mass.

Shame even some supporters can have a horrible perception of character sizes. =/
Did you also point out that Kraid likely wouldn't fit inside the narrow generator shaft that Meta-Ridley's Prime 3 boss fight took place in? :laugh:

I also wondered what would happen to this thread when Ridley is confirmed or most unlikely deconfirmed....He and this thread are the reasons i decided to make an acount here.....so...if it happens to get locked or something....i will get all my drawings and stuff down....maybe not....i don't know.

As pointed out, threads of other deconfirmed characters are still here floating about. Eventually though all this will likely become part of some archived board if Ridley gets deconfirmed again (your posted drawings will still remain here). Regardless of what his status ends up being in Smash 4, I expect a certain form of anguish here when that one day comes. :rolleyes: That aside, methinks a decent user like you should maybe post in other threads here too from time to time. Doesn't have to be in other character threads either. Could be just the Wii U social thread or something.

Just a suggestion... And somehow I overslept most of yesterday, last night, and today, but since school was closed for me today because of too much ice on the roads and stuff, I'll try doing another Ridley sketch later, even if mostly so I can feel I at least did one thing productive during the day. Ugh. May just be another Miiverse sketch though or something.

When I think about it, Ridley's Other M design was probably at least partially inspired by pterodactyls. Considering how other enemies in the game are based on prehistoric creatures. Rhedogian for example is blatantly based on an Anomalocaris, and there's this other enemy that looks like some cyborg horseshoe-crab.

The upwards curve on his beak is common among many pterodactyls, and I personally never saw it as a duck beak, probably because I love dinosaurs so I never made the connection, but also because I have a pretty sharp eye for detail and Ridley never looked like a duck to me. (Ridley has a pointy face, ducks don't)
Not a popular opinion but I've pretty much always saw it as this way too, and in some respects, Ridley has always been more pterodactyl based/inspired than he has being some dragon that most like to think of him as. To be fair though, I guess he's kind of a bit of both a prehistoric flying creature and a dragon in design. Just so happens that the Other M design made a nod to the former more, far as how the head looks anyway.

Yeah, Sakurai probably already decided whether Ridley would be in the game before it entered development. But hey, it adds to Ridley's resume at least.

EDIT: Question though. I tried looking this up and couldn't find it anywhere. Does Ridley have healing capabilities that would allow him to regenerate to an organic form between Prime 3 and Super Metroid?
Aside from his healing factor that was explained in the manga, I dunno.

Maybe i see it like a duck because, from all the designs Ridley has, it is the only one with his beak upwards, and with the lower jaw being longer than the upper one, and maybe i see him like that because of my overall hate to it

View attachment 9546

that's why i see it as a duck....even if it was probably based from a pterodactyl.....anyway, everyone has their different opinions about it, so, mine is not going to change for now.
Not saying you have to like it, but just google images of pterodactyls and you'll easily see that Other M Ridley's head resembles them more than that of a "duck".

xD I just simple hate EVERYTHING about Ridley Kong, his evolutionary line, his on steroids body structure, his goddamned face, the texture also, the spikes everywhere, his color (it has an annoying tone of purple), his blood looks like mocus, and those green eyes, and that wierd tail with blade like tip.....again....i hate everything about it....
He just had the typical green blood that reptiles do in some other games. The green eyes I thought were sorta cool during the first cutscene, but seeing his green "vision" during part of another shortly before dying was kinda meh and overdoing it.

I'll be overjoyed if/when he's shown in the next Metroid that's not done by Team Ninja just so the Other M design will no longer be the latest thing about him to be talked about and that it'll finally become more forgotten over time.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

As a relic from the pre-brawl era, let me just say how much fun it is to be able to experience the slow reveal of the game's roster again

I first made my account on these boards because the hype from the original dojo just lit me on fire, and I would speculate endlessly on whacky characters, stages, and gameplay possibilities. I made a Charizard support thread, got laughed at, and then laughed a whole lot when PKMN trainer was revealed.

But, Metriod Prime 1 is and was my favorite game, and I thought it was silly that Samus, one of the original 12, still only had one rep. I love Dragons already (Chari pls) and Ridley is one of my favorite Nintendo characters to date. In my mind, the stars had obviously aligned, and there was no way Ridley was going to be excluded.

Of course, when the game was eventually leaked we discovered he was instead 2 different boss battles, I will admit, it was rather crushing. But, so many awesome characters had been included, there was a giant single player mode to explore, and an online mode that would allow me to even smash with the buddies I made here on the forum.

The point I'm trying to make is, the contents of the roster doesn't have nearly as much importance as we worship it. Popular characters get ignored, Wii Fit trainer is playable, Sakurai is unpredictable, a workaholic, and a genius, and I wouldn't want anyone else making my smashbros (unless he's been secretly been training a protege on the side)

Will Ridley get in this game? I dunno. I'm hopeful, but, once again, it's Sakurai, you can never know. He's already tricked us out with toon link on the train stage, two versions of little mac's stage (one with no affiliations to the series), and even hinted at Ridley appearing in pyrosphere, albeit context on playability unknown.

But if Ridley doesn't make it in, that's not the end all. Keep making the fan art. It just grows his popularity. Look at project M, they're adding in extra characters, it's crazy what they've accomplished. You're always growing his support for future endeavors

and just have fun playing the game

How beautiful is that?

- RealTalk -
So much this.

I just want to say how happy I am seeing so much new blood in this thread over the past few months, and so much amazing artwork, and dedication. While 400+ pages isn't... quite as large as we were pre brawl, it's still a sizeable accomplishment xD and I'm sure it'll only grow, as we've been much better at not... being the bane of basically the entire boards this go around... xD So uh, just be careful how you throw around the word army, lol.

I hope to see you guys in battlefield ; )

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, basketboy sends a pretty good message there. Even if Ridley gets deconfirmed again, don't feel all crushed and broken. Keep doing what you do in supporting him or expressing your fandom of the character, whether it's in the form of drawing him on a daily basis or what.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

As pointed out, threads of other deconfirmed characters are still here floating about. Eventually though all this will likely become part of some archived board if Ridley gets deconfirmed again (your posted drawings will still remain here). Regardless of what his status ends up being in Smash 4, I expect a certain form of anguish here when that one day comes. :rolleyes: That aside, methinks a decent user like you should maybe post in other threads here too from time to time. Doesn't have to be in other character threads either. Could be just the Wii U social thread or something.

Just a suggestion... And somehow I overslept most of yesterday, last night, and today, but since school was closed for me today because of too much ice on the roads and stuff, I'll try doing another Ridley sketch later, even if mostly so I can feel I at least did one thing productive during the day. Ugh. May just be another Miiverse sketch though or something.

Not a popular opinion but I've pretty much always saw it as this way too, and in some respects, Ridley has always been more pterodactyl based/inspired than he has being some dragon that most like to think of him as. To be fair though, I guess he's kind of a bit of both a prehistoric flying creature and a dragon in design. Just so happens that the Other M design made a nod to the former more, far as how the head looks anyway.

Not saying you have to like it, but just google images of pterodactyls and you'll easily see that Other M Ridley's head resembles them more than that of a "duck".

He just had the typical green blood that reptiles do in some other games. The green eyes I thought were sorta cool during the first cutscene, but seeing his green "vision" during part of another shortly before dying was kinda meh and overdoing it.

I'll be overjoyed if/when he's shown in the next Metroid that's not done by Team Ninja just so the Other M design will no longer be the latest thing about him to be talked about and that it'll finally become more forgotten over time.
I really want to see your new drawing! good luck!

:) It would be nice to see other threads, but this one is the one im most interested in. xD maybe i will do it someday.

I see that, but, for some reason, i even think that it is like an insult, and i know he is not based on a duck, but because of how bad he looks on my point view and the hate i feel for it (design and origin) i say it was from a duck (and im not the only one who had said that), and like i said before, i never could get over to all those annoying jokes my cousins made about it when they and i first saw it in the trailer...i just could't get all that out of my head...i could not put a step on their house without them singing Ridley's theme with a duck sound around me...When he was revealed for the first time, it felt like a b#tch slap to the face for me....

I personally prefer when his eyes are orange/ yellow, they are more lively, like they were made of fire. and, the green blood, like you said, is the typical, but i don't like how that looks.

And i hope you are right, i want erase all that teasing and hate out of my memory, I hope Retro takes good care of Ridley....again

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Man, I don't even remember what the Ridley thread was pre-Brawl. I wasn't here as much for starters, but I think it was largely just the same old stuff. Except we had faces in the clouds, and the ban on Ridley threads for all of time.

Also Retro is probably the one group I feel I could always trust to make a good Metroid game. I mean when (in my opinion) their worst product is Metroid Prime 2, that says good things.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Also Retro is probably the one group I feel I could always trust to make a good Metroid game. I mean when (in my opinion) their worst product is Metroid Prime 2, that says good things.
I'm honestly really hyped for the next Metroid game made by Retro. I wasn't really following the series when the Prime series was new, so this is the first Retro-made Metroid game that I'll know about before it's released. Quite a cause for celebration, no?

Top Bottom