• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
These threads have a way of making me completely hyped for characters I was indifferent to before. Ridley has been slowing creeping towards Shulk and Palutena on my top most wanted list. Same can be said for K. Rool as well. Let's hope all this hype is worth it for the both of them.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The too big arguments won't die, but we all know that it doesn't matter. Sakurai himself said it.
At the very least, over time people will come to accept a smaller Ridley, and people growing up with it will think nothing of it. I'm sure the too big arguments won't die out entirely, but I think they will become a minority.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
Wanting Ridley to be confirmed so you can "rub it in the faces of anti-ridley people" makes you no better than the anti-ridley people who currently rub you in the face.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Wanting Ridley to be confirmed so you can "rub it in the faces of anti-ridley people" makes you no better than the anti-ridley people who currently rub you in the face.
I disagree. I'm a staunch believer in reaping what you sew. They would deserve to be knocked off their high horse.
I guess by my logic, a murderer that murders people that deserve to be murdered is better than a murderer that murders for the hell of it.:happysheep:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I disagree. I'm a staunch believer in reaping what you sew. They would deserve to be knocked off their high horse.
I guess by my logic, a murderer that murders people that deserve to be murdered is better than a murderer that murders for the hell of it.:happysheep:
Sounds like the plot of And Then There Were None.

I personally don't want to shove Ridley's theoretical inclusion in detractors faces; it's fine for people to think a character might not get in. But I do think that those who actively insult Ridley supporters should get some sort of reprimand for that atrocious behavior. That's karma, I guess.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Sounds like the plot of And Then There Were None.

I personally don't want to shove Ridley's theoretical inclusion in detractors faces; it's fine for people to think a character might not get in. But I do think that those who actively insult Ridley supporters should get some sort of reprimand for that atrocious behavior. That's karma, I guess.
When I find myself in difficult situations in life and I'm not sure what the right course of action is, I ask myself... what would Ridley do?

(And Ridley would totally make detractors eat ****... or just eat them)

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to wonder if Ridley's inclusion would be received positively or negatively overall....
Let's say he makes the roster (which we are all hoping for on this part of the forum)...people would have to be pretty strange to have a negative reaction to that. Ridley would be a very unique character with a crazy and original moveset. Anyone who really does enjoy Smash Bros. at its core should be able to appreciate such a thing, even if they just don't care for him overall.

Of course, there will be those who don't...but to crap on the successful inclusion of such an iconic character who is undoubtedly tough to bring into the Smash Bros. series is silly.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm starting to wonder if Ridley's inclusion would be received positively or negatively overall....
It kind of depends how many people are going along with it simply because it's a popular thing to do, the ones that do that and have no reason other then that to do will quickly drop the opinion if he were added.
I believe it's more likely going to depend on whether or not people think he's cool as a character. Sure people will react negatively for the stupidest reason (which I imagine will be the majority of toobigots), but I think it's more "important" to the Smash fanbase to speculate over what's next than to fawn over what's the "They ruined things forever" topic of the week. Regardless, I'm not one to believe in the "Eye for an eye" treatment of detractors, so if it is a negative reaction, I'll just silently relish their anguish as we get our sweet vindication.

That said, I imagine overseas reactions being a lot more "meh, he's cool but where's ____?" if the Japan's reaction to Mac thing is any indication.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Sheesh, I had the idea of a Grim Reaper styled Ridley for awhile, yet suddenly you guys just go and do it without me.

Now I have no choice. Imma likely use MSPaint though. But I got the advantage when it comes to scythes, my favorite weapon. :p

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Sheesh, I had the idea of a Grim Reaper styled Ridley for awhile, yet suddenly you guys just go and do it without me.

Now I have no choice. Imma likely use MSPaint though. But I got the advantage when it comes to scythes, my favorite weapon. :p
xD oh, sorry....and don't worry, you maybe will do it better than me, im not so good at drawing skeletons or scythes....so, he did not came out like i expected....maybe i will re-do the drawing someday

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Just like Ganondorf
That kind of stuff flies in the Unpopular Opinions thread, but unless you're going actually going anywhere with the 2nd post, I'd stop frequenting the threads of characters/series you yourself have proclaimed to dislike.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The difference is that unlike Shokio I'm not a sexist, I will be right, and people have actually watched my YouTube videos. :awesome:

But for more realsies, I called out people by name when Diddy was confirmed (and before he was confirmed) on that. Not for being wrong, but because people were jerks about it. I made one person quit SWF and the internet for losing a $50 bet against me on it after he was such a prick.

The only people who actively don't want a character and hate on potential playable characters like Ridley or Diddy are idiots like Shokio who hate things just to hate things because their lives are barren because they have daddy issues, entitlement issues, and weak personal resolve.

Honestly, those people need to be called out without being bashful on this and many other things anyways for being pricks.

Ain't that the truth=???

Last edited:

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
The difference is that unlike Shokio I'm not a sexist, I will be right, and people have actually watched my YouTube videos. :awesome:

But for more realsies, I called out people by name when Diddy was confirmed (and before he was confirmed) on that. Not for being wrong, but because people were jerks about it. I made one person quit SWF and the internet for losing a $50 bet against me on it after he was such a prick.

The only people who actively don't want a character and hate on potential playable characters like Ridley or Diddy are idiots like Shokio who hate things just to hate things because their lives are barren because they have daddy issues, entitlement issues, and weak personal resolve.

Honestly, those people need to be called out without being bashful on this and many other things anyways for being pricks.

Ain't that the truth=???
Honestly I agree, I can under stand if someone doesn't like Ridley but if they just keep complaining about size and things and try to make ridley supporters angry for the hell of it. They should get it right back at them

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think ultimately that Sakurai and Namco Bandai are too small to not let Ridley be playable in Smash.

The fans are the biggest things.

The fans are the only reason the Smash Bros. series matters, because we've made it into what it is more than any other person or entity.

So yeah, this is my 15,000th post. Maybe 45 other people on SWF have reached this mark.

This post is a significant post, so to that I say, screw not having Ridley playable, moveset, skillset, and playstyle wise he could add as much or more than all of the revealed newcomers thus far.

===

So yeah, Ridley for Smash 4, and if it doesn't happen, it's not that we Ridley fans were wrong.

It is that the Smash development staff was wrong, and that they need to have some new people in charge of choosing the character roster, and some old people gone.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I think ultimately that Sakurai and Namco Bandai are too small to not let Ridley be playable in Smash.

The fans are the only reason the Smash Bros. series matters, because we've made it into what it is more than any other person or entity.

So yeah, this is my 15,000th post. Maybe 45 other people on SWF have reached this mark.

This post is a significant post, so to that I say, screw not having Ridley playable, moveset, skillset, and playstyle wise he could add as much or more than all of the revealed newcomers thus far.

===

So yeah, Ridley for Smash 4, and if it doesn't happen, it's not that we Ridley fans were wrong.

It is that the Smash development staff was wrong, and that they need to have some new people in charge of choosing the character roster, and some old people gone.
/thread

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer

===

Quite the milestone. If you keep at it, you may one day reach my level and perhaps stand as my equal. :troll:

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
So long as the replacements were decent, I would not bat a single eye if this happened.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
People I know that like the Metroid franchise would love Ridley, but think he may be too large.

Now if he was playable I can practically guarantee the majority of responses would be positive.
A large amount of people who say Ridley is too big would actually like to see Ridley be playable, but aren't sure if it can be done properly.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
@ Sehnsucht Sehnsucht and Ridley
Bro, do you even lift=???

(seriously, Ridley has arms almost as small as Marth's, and yet, the ignorant masses say "he is too big")
You know it, bro.

People I know that like the Metroid franchise would love Ridley, but think he may be too large.

Now if he was playable I can practically guarantee the majority of responses would be positive.
A large amount of people who say Ridley is too big would actually like to see Ridley be playable, but aren't sure if it can be done properly.
I suspect that most, if not all concerns will melt away once a trailer is shown, and we finally get to see him in action.

Consider those who had doubts about Little Mac's viability, yet turned around upon seeing how he actually plays in his own trailer. If it can work for one of the smallest characters, it can certainly work for the biggest. ;)

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So long as the replacements were decent, I would not bat a single eye if this happened.
If the replacements were good I could live with that, but that is never the case.

In each game we either get a flat out not inspiring idea (Samus in 64, Pichu in Melee, and ROB in Brawl) or one that just simply didn't work (DK in 64, Young Link in Melee, and Pit in Brawl).

And for those cases in each game, I wish we either got a better version of them or just flat out another character.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
There might be a very small yet vocal uproar at first, but the hype would vanish all traces of dissatisfaction soon after. Also, Ridley is one of few characters whose hype wouldn't dissipate until release, at least for me.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Consider those who had doubts about Little Mac's viability, yet turned around upon seeing how he actually plays in his own trailer. If it can work for one of the smallest characters, it can certainly work for the biggest. ;)
I agree! The same could be said for Rosalina.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Just like Ganondorf
Clearly because Ganondorf is a clone of Captain Falcon that means that Rosalina must be a clone of Peach. :rolleyes:

(yes, many people thought this would happen if Rosalina was a playable character)

If we are going to use the "Just like Ganondorf" thing so liberally, we might as well say Little Mac is a Bowser clone, because Bowser uses jabs, too.

Heck, one could take it a step further and say that Zero Suit Samus could be turned into a Sheik clone.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Clearly because Ganondorf is a clone of Captain Falcon that means that Rosalina must be a clone of Peach. :rolleyes:

(yes, many people thought this would happen if Rosalina was a playable character)

If we are going to use the "Just like Ganondorf" thing so liberally, we might as well say Little Mac is a Bowser clone, because Bowser uses jabs, too.

Heck, one could take it a step further and say that Zero Suit Samus could be turned into a Sheik clone.
A lot of people who dislike the addition of Ridley say that he would be nothing more than a dull Charizard clone.

Just like how King K. Rool is supposed to be like Bowser, but reskinned.

AndreaAC

A lot of people who dislike the addition of Ridley say that he would be nothing more than a dull Charizard clone.

Just like how King K. Rool is supposed to be like Bowser, but reskinned.
They are professionals.....I don't think they can't get creative enough to make Ridley not a Charizard clone...if they couldn't...that would indicate that they are just incompetent and lazy....

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There might be a very small yet vocal uproar at first, but the hype would vanish all traces of dissatisfaction soon after. Also, Ridley is one of few characters whose hype wouldn't dissipate until release, at least for me.
Basically like the Brawl reveals of Ike, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Olimar, and, oh yeah, Sonic, and the Smash 4 reveal of Little Mac and Mega Man.

The haters for characters like these are largely forgotten over time.

Heck, I remember before Brawl was a thing, GameFAQs had a huuuuuuuuuuge movement against Wario being playable in "Smash Wii", "Smash Revolution," "Smash 3", and whatever else it was referred to back then.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I've been on a huge Metroid kick lately and completely see the need for a second Metroid rep. And I like Ridley. The size thing is a worthless argument (look at Bowser in Galaxy... Or Olimar in his own games) I'm sure that's all been covered 1000s of times in this thread so I don't know

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
The crazy ideas some people have...

I just finished typing a reply to somebody I replied to a few weeks back in one of the Ridley hater youtube vids. Fortunately the guy I was replying to for the most part is a Ridley supporter, so that's fine. HOWEVER...

He genuinely believes that Prime 3 Meta Ridley is AS BIG AS KRAID. o__O

I replied way back claiming that was a gross exaggeration. It's only now that I found that he replied back posting a pic of the scene where Samus was trying to shoot Meta Ridley in the mouth and a second pic of a comparison between Super Metroid Samus's sprite and Kraid's sprite. He some how surmised based on those pics that Meta Ridley was as big as Kraid just because Samus could technically fit in both their jaws...

Had to explain that ( 1 ) Samus was FORCING Ridley's mouth open and her knees were already buckling from the tight fit, and SM Samus stands straight up while a single jaw on Kraid is larger than SM Samus, and ( 2 ) Ridley's head in general is very large in proportion to the rest of his body while Kraid's head doesn't even account for 1/4th of his mass.

Shame even some supporters can have a horrible perception of character sizes. =/

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I've been on a huge Metroid kick lately and completely see the need for a second Metroid rep. And I like Ridley. The size thing is a worthless argument (look at Bowser in Galaxy... Or Olimar in his own games) I'm sure that's all been covered 1000s of times in this thread so I don't know
Yeah, 1000 seems like a pretty accurate number (I'm not even joking lol). I don't remember every single post in this thread, but I think it would be safe to say that not a single page has passed where someone (supporter or detractor) hasn't brought up the size issue. Pretty sad if you ask me.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
How ironic that some Ridley detractors bring that up as a reason why he shouldn't be in, since Charizard himself is responsible for making some of their other arguments to go down the drain.

Namely the fact that Charizard shifted from an NPC to a playable fighter, and of course the fact that Charizard has been shrunken down in Brawl.

AndreaAC

32A571_0D4F303DB1E56_000.gif

"...RAWR...!"

Since i ran out of ideas for my arabic calligraphy proyect.....i decided to make another random Ridley gif just for fun...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
View attachment 9535

"...RAWR...!"

Since i ran out of ideas for my arabic calligraphy proyect.....i decided to make another random Ridley gif just for fun...
Inb4TooBigotComesHereAndSays: "BUT HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE FIERCE AND SCARY WAAAAAAHHHH"

I honestly can't see anymore reason why Ridley can't be playable because of his supposedly awkward build. It's really no more different than Charizard's, and he can obviously be made bigger despite all the Brawl mods out there.

Top Bottom