• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm honestly really hyped for the next Metroid game made by Retro. I wasn't really following the series when the Prime series was new, so this is the first Retro-made Metroid game that I'll know about before it's released. Quite a cause for celebration, no?
well, if it is a new metroid and not, like star fox or somethin'.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I remember when I first joined Smashboards, not too long after SSB4 was shown off at E3. This was the first thread that I posted in, and , if my memory serves to be correct, you were the first person to respond to something I said.

Of course, I've gone on to do more than support Ridley. But it's the Ridley thread that helped ease checking SB into my daily routine. It'd be awesome to see Ridley make it into SSB4 and see everything come full circle.
Thank you! That warms my heart its great to have you here and everyone else!

Question: Just curious did i say ''RealTalk'' when i responded to you? XD Hehehe

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I'm all for a new Metroid game and just by looking at the last DK games, I wonder what Retro could do with a good old 2D Metroid game.

Just as long that Sakamoto stay FAR FAR FAR away from the story.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm honestly really hyped for the next Metroid game made by Retro. I wasn't really following the series when the Prime series was new, so this is the first Retro-made Metroid game that I'll know about before it's released. Quite a cause for celebration, no?
Just make sure to temper your expectations. The Metroid fans in this thread seem to be pretty cool and reasonable people for the most part, but elsewhere, you have Metroid fans getting their expectations up ridiculously high, then sending death threats to reviewers who give Tropical Freeze high scores because it "shoulda been Metroid." Either way, know that you're not alone in going through a relatively dark phase in your series' lifespan. DKC fans lived on crackers for 11 years, then spent the last 3 years after Returns fearing that they'd soon be starving again. It gets better...or, at least, it will for Metroid fans (F-Zero and Star Fox fans, on the other hand...).

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Just make sure to temper your expectations. The Metroid fans in this thread seem to be pretty cool and reasonable people for the most part, but elsewhere, you have Metroid fans getting their expectations up ridiculously high, then sending death threats to reviewers who give Tropical Freeze high scores because it "shoulda been Metroid." Either way, know that you're not alone in going through a relatively dark phase in your series' lifespan. DKC fans lived on crackers for 11 years, then spent the last 3 years after Returns fearing that they'd soon be starving again. It gets better...or, at least, it will for Metroid fans (F-Zero and Star Fox fans, on the other hand...).
Oh please tell me society hasn't fallen so far...

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Is this new Retro game still in the dark, franchise-wise? Because I'd be happy with Metroid OR a third and final Donkey Kong to round out the trilogy.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Parts of it have.

The comments were deleted from the actual review, but one of the responses, I found pretty amusing.

"I thought it might be more sensible (doesn't mean less stupid) to send death threats to reviewers who put low scores on their favourite game instead of the opposite.

Seriously, when's the kick coming? I'm sick of dreaming here."

Last edited:

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
You expected less?

But yeah it was pretty bad, and i get the feeling those fans will continue to do so with each retro game that isnt metroid which is a damn shame. I honestly had my fill of the prime games when they released, so if they did take the reigns again id rather see them try to make a 2.5D metroid game. But at this point id rather them tackle another franchise or something completely new.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I find it funny that despite the intense rivalry between DKC and Metroid fans over Retro Studios, K. Rool fans and Ridley fans seem to get along just fine for the most part. It might just be because both franchises are currently underrepresented, but I can tell there's some sort of odd kinship between both fandoms.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
K.Rool better come back if there's a third DKC:R game. Omitting him once is fine, twice is stretching it, but thrice is a no-no.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
The thing i cant get over is sure Ridley has had other designs that are praised ZM/Brawl/SM/Prime1

But i cant like any other K.Rool design except DKC 1,2,3 & 64.

his new design just makes me sick beyond belief! im sorry but to me that is not K.Rool i wouldnt want to play those games or other m.

Funny thing is if they both get in they will be using there worse designs....i think Ridley having no pupils is cooler/more vicious looking so i guess thats a plus i like about his Other M design over brawls.

But i think what someone else said i think Andrea that he perfers the red glowing eyes of SM & Prime 1 i couldnt agree more but New K.Rool makes me more sick than Other M Ridley...i almost go as far to say i wouldnt K.Rool in if he has that design...just bugs me that much...its sooo wrong.....he looked to good in DKC 1,2,3 & 64 (Yh...Rare are kings i know..)

But if
King K.Rool (White).jpg
his moveset is really to the character then thats cool. Never wanted to say or mention it i did long time back when i used to post in the K.Rool thread but thats just how i feel on the matter....

This iS K.ROOL!

PS: Its dead wrong how ninty are keeping K.Rool in the dark but I have a big ''Rare'' Krush like alotta people do so i know the DKCR & TF are not a touch on the original Trilogy also if they ever make a DK64 2 it would be atrocious.

So it kinda soothes me as sad as it is...inevitable...

Rares gone so theres no hope evem if they brought them back the genies of the company back then aint there no more.........its all memories now and it will remain that way.

Imagine Retro having ago at B&K though!
Hell im confident they could pull of a DK64
I Think.........?

Round Up: I immense love for D.K and K.Rool but it lies mostly in DK64 and DKC 1&2.

His Character/Personality in DK64..Speechles.....such a damnn boss! He was like the smart, serious not lazy bowser.

Bowser if he was serious and bothererd = K.Rool from DK64!

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
The thing i cant get over is sure Ridley has had other designs that are praised ZM/Brawl/SM/Prime1

But i cant like any other K.Rool design except DKC 1,2,3 & 64.

his new design just makes me sick beyond belief! im sorry but to me that is not K.Rool i wouldnt want to play those games or other m.

Funny thing is if they both get in they will be using there worse designs....i think Ridley having no pupils is cooler/more vicious looking so i guess thats a plus i like about his Other M design over brawls.

But i think what someone else said i think Andrea that he perfers the red glowing eyes of SM & Prime 1 i couldnt agree more but New K.Rool makes me more sick than Other M Ridley...i almost go as far to say i wouldnt K.Rool in if he has that design...just bugs me that much...its sooo wrong.....he looked to good in DKC 1,2,3 & 64 (Yh...Rare are kings i know..)

But if View attachment 9560 his moveset is really to the character then thats cool. Never wanted to say or mention it i did long time back when i used to post in the K.Rool thread but thats just how i feel on the matter....

This iS K.ROOL!

PS: Its dead wrong how ninty are keeping K.Rool in the dark but I have a big ''Rare'' Krush like alotta people do so i know the DKCR & TF are not a touch on the original Trilogy also if they ever make a DK64 2 it would be atrocious.

So it kinda soothes me as sad as it is...inevitable...

Rares gone so theres no hope evem if they brought them back the genies of the company back then aint there no more.........its all memories now and it will remain that way.

Imagine Retro having ago at B&K though!
Hell im confident they could pull of a DK64
I Think.........?
Eh...K. Rool suffered the same fate as Ridley? talking about the design....how he looks like now? i have never seen him

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai will probably go for the more retro design if K.Rool makes it in the next Smash, considering he's kept Diddy more retro.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Is this new Retro game still in the dark, franchise-wise? Because I'd be happy with Metroid OR a third and final Donkey Kong to round out the trilogy.
Well they have stated these things over time.

1. Its a series wr have worked on b4
2. Its a FPS
3. We would like to revist metroid sometime.

Also miyamoto spoke out about Metroid too so yh...i see it being metroid has to be.

I dont normally go with my happy feelings but im sure ima go with this one because it makes to much sense and its likeability like mewtwo returning. I believe it !

To add to the wish belief i hope they both shown at E3 metroid and mew2

@ Crocovile Crocovile well they should do the same for Ridley then! Sure everything Metroid so far in Sm4sh is based of Other M but Samus has been in every smash based of SM Right?
So this is ''Hopefully'' Ridleys first time so he should be based of SM plus if he is based of SM LmAo who on this planet will complain? Apart from uhhh...i expected other m...

SM & DKC Trilogy is like the foundation of both them series plus for the chars in question its there first time! Give em the respect and love and status they deserve!

Edit: RealTalk

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Maybe it's just because I only played DK64, but it feels like Diddy Kong is partially based on it with the barrel jetpack and peanut popgun. So a DK64 K. Rool is something I would kind of anticipate.

Ridley I don't think has suffered the same fate of K. Rool because Ridley has actually been in games.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey guys...

Take K.Rool talk to the K.Rool thread.

AndreaAC

@ Crocovile Crocovile well they should do the same for Ridley then! Sure everything Metroid so far in Sm4sh is based of Other M but Samus has been in every smash based of SM Right?
So this is ''Hopefully'' Ridleys first time so he should be based of SM plus if he is based of SM LmAo who on this planet will complain? Apart from uhhh...i expected other m...

SM & DKC Trilogy is like the foundation of both them series plus for the chars in question its there first time! Give em the respect and love and status they deserve!

Edit: RealTalk
If Ridley appeared in the game with his SM design, i would feel so much relief....and a heavy amount of stress off of my shoulders....really...

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't really want the Super Metroid design for a number of reasons. It would feel out of place, I just don't feel it's the best design Ridley could have in general.

AndreaAC

I don't really want the Super Metroid design for a number of reasons. It would feel out of place, I just don't feel it's the best design Ridley could have in general.
Yeah i know, it is true since everything is based after other m unfortunately....im just saying....

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I know I've said this a lot and it may start sounding like spam, but....

ZM design da bess

Gaxel

Smash Ace
I think Ridley is all but confirmed.

He will be in the game playable, just not revealed by Sakurai. I believe that He will be a secret character. I don't think Sakurai hyped a character as much as Ridley with the "A rival from Samus's past can show up at any moment" comment.

The holes in the back are static, no way he would hype a stage hazard like that... right?

I really hope I'm right :(

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I know I've said this a lot and it may start sounding like spam, but....

ZM design da bess
I have never played ZM but i sorta have to agree with you..but ugh...sooo hard...i love prime 1 Meta Ridley soooo much !!! looks way too sick.

I dunno its hard....

I think my order is

1. Prime 1
2. ZM
3. SM

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I'm still stuck with the other m design I just like that muscular build on ridley it fits him. I honestly could care less as long as hes in the game.
If alternate costumes make it in the game he's really going to have a default design, meta ridley, and all the other versions.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
SM Ridley imo cant be a alt costume...they have different proportions/models its not a way change clothes thing its a change char thing...unfortuntely...

Although i defenetly see Mea Ridley being a colour swap for Other M Ridley?.......

Wel its Smash..its crazy...but yh...thats wrong...would look awsome anyway i bet

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I really want to see your new drawing! good luck!

:) It would be nice to see other threads, but this one is the one im most interested in. xD maybe i will do it someday.

I see that, but, for some reason, i even think that it is like an insult, and i know he is not based on a duck, but because of how bad he looks on my point view and the hate i feel for it (design and origin) i say it was from a duck (and im not the only one who had said that), and like i said before, i never could get over to all those annoying jokes my cousins made about it when they and i first saw it in the trailer...i just could't get all that out of my head...i could not put a step on their house without them singing Ridley's theme with a duck sound around me...When he was revealed for the first time, it felt like a b#tch slap to the face for me....

I personally prefer when his eyes are orange/ yellow, they are more lively, like they were made of fire. and, the green blood, like you said, is the typical, but i don't like how that looks.

And i hope you are right, i want erase all that teasing and hate out of my memory, I hope Retro takes good care of Ridley....again
Now that I feel all freshened up again, will get to doing some sketch sometime shortly after this post.

Ah. Well I guess just keep that in mind then and just know that this thread isn't the only place for you here if worse comes to worse for Ridley again...

Eh, fair enough. One of the cool things about Ridley in general though is how he can look awesome with whatever eye color, whether it's green (Other M), red (Zero Mission render/box cover appearance), or what. Pretty much agree though on preferring the orange/yellow eyes, whether you include their fiery look from Meta-Ridley or not.

Yeah... As much as I can understand not being a fan of the Other M design, evolutionary line, and all that, it's just hard sometimes to witness some good fans like you hating anything to do with Ridley. D: Not gonna make any comments on hoping Retro will do this or that with Ridley though until I know for sure that they're gonna be doing another Metroid, not that they're the only ones who could take better care of Ridley (design-wise) than Team Ninja did.

Yeah, it's still in the dark as far as that, but I'd be fine with them doing either of those too.

I find it funny that despite the intense rivalry between DKC and Metroid fans over Retro Studios, K. Rool fans and Ridley fans seem to get along just fine for the most part. It might just be because both franchises are currently underrepresented, but I can tell there's some sort of odd kinship between both fandoms.
I hope that kinship extends elsewhere too then and not just on this site. But yeah, I'm guessing the people that make stupid threats or something every time Retro does something again that isn't Metroid are from MDB or something? :laugh:

Yeah i know, it is true since everything is based after other m unfortunately....im just saying....
Everything Metroid in Smash 4 being Other M based wouldn't be so... hard to swallow if Prime 3 at least got a little acknowledgement too to make up for its lack of content in Brawl.

Gaxel

Smash Ace
I'm still stuck with the other m design I just like that muscular build on ridley it fits him. I honestly could care less as long as hes in the game.
If alternate costumes make it in the game he's really going to have a default design, meta ridley, and all the other versions.
Other M Ridley doesn't make him seem intelligent as the other forms.

Usually Ridley looks like he's skinny but big. Makes him seem scrawny when stretched out (which is why he hunches over a lot).

I think Other M Ridley would fortify the stereotype that he's not smart (Which is not true cause he's probably smarter than all the villains in ssb so far). Maybe if they fused his Other M compactness with SM/ZM/Prime Ridley's skinniness and met each other in the middle, it wouldn't be that bad.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Um... Other Ridley displayed plenty of intelligence actaully, even during his pre-evolution forms. He was spared the fate the Zebesian Space Pirate clones had to get, in being mindless and not able to function or act without a hivemind (in this case MB). Ridley on the other hand was a wildcard out of the Bottleship's inhabitants.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'm still stuck with the other m design I just like that muscular build on ridley it fits him.
Eh, I don't know. Ridley's supposed to have a sort of skeletical appearance overall, something you can't quite accomplish with such gorilla arms.

If they made those slightly thinner and gave him a visible sternum, maybe it'd fit him better. But that's just me.

Gaxel

Smash Ace
Um... Other Ridley displayed plenty of intelligence actaully, even during his pre-evolution forms. He was spared the fate the Zebesian Space Pirate clones had to get, in being mindless and not able to function or act without a hivemind (in this case MB). Ridley on the other hand was a wildcard out of the Bottleship's inhabitants.
I never said that he acted in that way...

If you read my post clearly, I said he LOOKS like he is mindless.

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
The one theory that I have is that the original Ridley, i.e. the one from SM and ZM, is tons of years older than the clone, since the clone was shown to go through all of his prior phases it can be concluded that he is younger. This could explain why he is more muscular than the original one.

Gaxel

Smash Ace
The one theory that I have is that the original Ridley, i.e. the one from SM and ZM, is tons of years older than the clone, since the clone was shown to go through all of his prior phases it can be concluded that he is younger. This could explain why he is more muscular than the original one.
That makes sense, I thought this too.

If you were relating his forms to humans, I'd say:

Little Birdie = Baby

??? = Kid

Mysterious Creature = Teenager

Other M Ridley = Adult

Other Ridleys where he is skinny in body type = Elder

majora_787

Smash Hero
That was what I always figured. I imagine the clone also has an accelerated growth rate, among other issues that come with being a federation-made clone. Makes me wonder what Ridley's homeworld must look like. Considering it would have this awkward blend between bunnies with chicken feet to large space dragons.

Gaxel

Smash Ace
That was what I always figured. I imagine the clone also has an accelerated growth rate, among other issues that come with being a federation-made clone. Makes me wonder what Ridley's homeworld must look like. Considering it would have this awkward blend between bunnies with chicken feet to large space dragons.
I'd actually think that his world would be barren if all his species acted just as Ridley.

Killing all who oppose, try to assume power, etc.

afrozenaer0

Smash Apprentice
I'd actually think that his world would be barren if all his species acted just as Ridley.

Killing all who oppose, try to assume power, etc.
Maybe Ridley is extremely different from the rest of his species. He could be an insane, ravenous killer while the rest of his kind are very peace-loving. He could have been cast out from his society and joined the space pirates as a means of one day getting revenge on his kind for casting him out... I don't know just brainstorming.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir

That kind of stuff flies in the Unpopular Opinions thread, but unless you're going actually going anywhere with the 2nd post, I'd stop frequenting the threads of characters/series you yourself have proclaimed to dislike.
Nice assumptions buddy, please tell me where I said I disliked Ridley.

AndreaAC

Now that I feel all freshened up again, will get to doing some sketch sometime shortly after this post.

Ah. Well I guess just keep that in mind then and just know that this thread isn't the only place for you here if worse comes to worse for Ridley again...

Eh, fair enough. One of the cool things about Ridley in general though is how he can look awesome with whatever eye color, whether it's green (Other M), red (Zero Mission render/box cover appearance), or what. Pretty much agree though on preferring the orange/yellow eyes, whether you include their fiery look from Meta-Ridley or not.

Yeah... As much as I can understand not being a fan of the Other M design, evolutionary line, and all that, it's just hard sometimes to witness some good fans like you hating anything to do with Ridley. D: Not gonna make any comments on hoping Retro will do this or that with Ridley though until I know for sure that they're gonna be doing another Metroid, not that they're the only ones who could take better care of Ridley (design-wise) than Team Ninja did.

Everything Metroid in Smash 4 being Other M based wouldn't be so... hard to swallow if Prime 3 at least got a little acknowledgement too to make up for its lack of content in Brawl.
:3 Again, good luck, do the best you can! and, if you need some advise, just ask!

:sadeyes: I know, and I love Ridley! but...that one...for me, it is not Ridley, not the one i used for inspiration for many of my proyects, the one that i saw for the first time on SM, the one that i was desperate to find in Prime 3 and the one that im looking for in Prime 1, the one that i learned to draw in a really hard way, and the one that caused me to have a friendly rivalry with my cousin when i was younger...and I have shown resentment and that im intolerant in that aspect...and i can't help it...:crying: im sorry....

And it is most likely that Retro does a better work design wise with him.....specially if sakamoto gets out of their way....

And if they are going to put some Prime 3 stuff... that at least they put the 3 hunters trophies and Omega...or Meta....i don't know...but at least something that makes me forget about all the hate, and watch it or hear it (if it was music) to be in peace for a while. If there's nothing that helps, i will spend my time killing it as many times as i can...just to get my anger out.....

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I have never played ZM but i sorta have to agree with you..but ugh...sooo hard...i love prime 1 Meta Ridley soooo much !!! looks way too sick.

I dunno its hard....

I think my order is

1. Prime 1
2. ZM
3. SM
My favorite Ridley design is Other M's because that's the one that he'll be playable in and also is the one that destroys pretty much every argument any real Ridley detractor has.
:troll:

Top Bottom