• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Also comes with the classic comment: "He looks like he wants a cookie".

I forgot who said it though.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
SCAN0115.JPG

Give him a cookie before he kills- i mean....before he hugs you to death....

xD more random ideas by me....

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I'm 100% a Prime 1 fanboy. Don't get me wrong, I love the 2D Metroids, but Metroid Prime 1 is one of my favorite games of all time, to this day. Outstanding in terms of story, music, length, and gameplay.

I might not buy a Wii - U for Sm4sh, because I have my 3ds. However, if a new Prime-style metroid comes out for the Wii - U, with features like the gamepad for visors and minimap, and - gasp - online multiplayer? That would sell me a Wii - U.
We should be like, close friends, or something.

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Since people're posting drawings, here's a link to my first attempt at the Art Academy Sketchpad:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADbUgNn3YeCRQ

Aaand the pic in case people don't want to click the link, haha.

Unfortunately this was before I realized that it would permanently stick your work with one medium (pencil for the outline) onto the canvas if you switched to another medium (pastels, which I used for colouring). Ah well.

AndreaAC

Since people're posting drawings, here's a link to my first attempt at the Art Academy Sketchpad:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAABAADbUgNn3YeCRQ

Aaand the pic in case people don't want to click the link, haha.

Unfortunately this was before I realized that it would permanently stick your work with one medium (pencil for the outline) onto the canvas if you switched to another medium (pastels, which I used for colouring). Ah well.
Beautiful....you got the colors, shade and lighting just perfect.... :3 congratulations!

silver_blade001

Smash Apprentice
Well after reading and posting on this message board it made me want to play Metroid Fusion again, and so I did and got 100% in 3 hours, I feel proud of myself. Still no where as good as it used to be but oh well. Next I think I will play Metroid Prime 3 again, mostly because I don't remember the ending that well.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Also Retro is probably the one group I feel I could always trust to make a good Metroid game. I mean when (in my opinion) their worst product is Metroid Prime 2, that says good things.
Those are fighting words, good sir. Better trend lightly.

jk I won't bite :3

Dark Samus: Metroid Prime 2&3
Adam Malkovich: Other M (mentioned in Fusion)
Anthony Higgs: Other M
Warrior Ing: Echoes
Anyone else: Either Corruption or Hunters (one of the two.)
Ridley: Metroid, Zero Mission, Super Metroid, Fusion, Prime 1, Prime 3, Pinball, Other M.
This pretty much sums up a undeniable fact: if Ridley can't get in, then no one from Metroid can. Period.

Last edited:

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Beautiful....you got the colors, shade and lighting just perfect.... :3 congratulations!
Haha thanks! Your sketches that have been prevalent throughout the thread are awesome as well, by the way. Really cool stuff! I used to sketch a lot when I was younger...then I went into university and it sort of fell by the wayside after my second year. Video game concept art was always something I wanted to get into, but alas, it doesn't seem like it was meant to be, lol.

From your drawings and such however, maybe it's a path you oughtta think about considering? Unless of course you have already! They remind me of storyboard designs, which I think is super cool.

AndreaAC

Haha thanks! Your sketches that have been prevalent throughout the thread are awesome as well, by the way. Really cool stuff! I used to sketch a lot when I was younger...then I went into university and it sort of fell by the wayside after my second year. Video game concept art was always something I wanted to get into, but alas, it doesn't seem like it was meant to be, lol.

From your drawings and such however, maybe it's a path you oughtta think about considering? Unless of course you have already! They remind me of storyboard designs, which I think is super cool.
No problem, that drawing took me from surprise, such a beautifully detailed drawing, i envy you. xD and my drawings....they are just quick ones, and i wish i could use more color on them, but, i prefer black and white....and even if im learning shading and lighting im still afraid of it....specially since i want to become a graphic designer and yeah, a concept artist and a 3D modeler.....xD and you are right, university does not let you do a lot of things...but with a little bit of free time, awesome drawings like the one you did, are possible.

and Thank you....I tried a Storyboard with Ridley once....and it looked...not so great xD i tried to get based from the ones of Prime 3 corruption....but i failed xD....And i draw Ridley just for fun and because he is awesome....oh yes, indeed he is....

Last edited:

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
No problem, that drawing took me from surprise, such a beautifully detailed drawing, i envy you. xD and my drawings....they are just quick ones, and i wish i could use more color on them, but, i prefer black and white....and even if im learning shading and lighting im still afraid of it....specially since i want to become a graphic designer and yeah, a concept artist and a 3D modeler.....xD and you are right, university does not let you do a lot of things...but with a little bit of free time, awesome drawings like the one you did, are possible.

and Thank you....I tried a Storyboard with Ridley once....and it looked...not so great xD i tried to get based from the ones of Prime 3 corruption....but i failed xD....And i draw Ridley just for fun and because he is awesome....oh yes, indeed he is....
Yeah, I always used to focus on just pencil...I never liked colouring much, and instead stuck to learning how to incorporate different forms of shading. Things like crosshatching, stippling, and things like that. I was always awful with paints haha...could never maintain the same colour and just really wasn't a huge fan of the media. Luckily, SketchPad is pretty forgiving in that respect!

Keep up your drawing, and don't let it drop off like I did. It's one of my biggest regrets, even though I'm happy with what I'm doing now. Oddly enough, the Corruption concept art was exactly what I was thinking of, haha! But yeah, you've got a lot of good stuff, and it's always good to keep drawing things you're interested in...particularly a space dragon, 'cause let's face it, not many people draw those anymore :p

AndreaAC

Yeah, I always used to focus on just pencil...I never liked colouring much, and instead stuck to learning how to incorporate different forms of shading. Things like crosshatching, stippling, and things like that. I was always awful with paints haha...could never maintain the same colour and just really wasn't a huge fan of the media. Luckily, SketchPad is pretty forgiving in that respect!

Keep up your drawing, and don't let it drop off like I did. It's one of my biggest regrets, even though I'm happy with what I'm doing now. Oddly enough, the Corruption concept art was exactly what I was thinking of, haha! But yeah, you've got a lot of good stuff, and it's always good to keep drawing things you're interested in...particularly a space dragon, 'cause let's face it, not many people draw those anymore :p
Yeah, i think i do the same thing too, in the case of forms to quickly shade a drawing, and what a coincidence! Im awful with paint too! xD Yeah...with paint, i have a good start, but later it turns into a mess.....i need to get a Wii U...xD

xD i find kinda funny that we tought in the same thing....The storyboards of corruption look awesome in black and white....

xD and yeah....i like to draw him way too much, even if it turns into a problem when trying to think on something else for a proyect....since i cannot get him out of my head...

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, i think i do the same thing too, in the case of forms to quickly shade a drawing, and what a coincidence! Im awful with paint too! xD Yeah...with paint, i have a good start, but later it turns into a mess.....i need to get a Wii U...xD

xD i find kinda funny that we tought in the same thing....The storyboards of corruption look awesome in black and white....

xD and yeah....i like to draw him way too much, even if it turns into a problem when trying to think on something else for a proyect....since i cannot get him out of my head...
I think everyone who draws has those sort of 'pillars' that they go back to that they sincerely enjoy trying to sketch from every angle and in every situation...and really, who's going to complain if the subject is an absolute badass? :D

AndreaAC

I think everyone who draws has those sort of 'pillars' that they go back to that they sincerely enjoy trying to sketch from every angle and in every situation...and really, who's going to complain if the subject is an absolute badass? :D
xD Yeah...even i draw Ridley mostly with a 3/4 Angle on his head, and in side view...because every time i try to draw him in a front angle...he looks awfully funny...and yeah, every situation...like turn him into a cute little dragon....xD

Oh, and i have to say, every school proyect that i did using Ridley on them, they give me a 10 c:, good that my teachers did not know anything about him...but i think i will save Ridley for my personal proyects and try to think in other stuff for school....

Last edited:

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
xD Yeah...even i draw Ridley mostly with a 3/4 Angle on his head, and in side view...because every time i try to draw him in a front angle...he looks awfully funny...and yeah, every situation...like turn him into a cute little dragon....xD

Oh, and i have to say, every school proyect that i did using Ridley on them, they give me a 10 c:, good that my teachers did not know anything about him...but i think i will save Ridley for my personal proyects and try to think in other stuff for school....
Haha, that's probably a good idea, especially considering there are likely many teachers or profs out there that are fairly young and are actually big fans of video games, particularly franchises from the 80s and 90s since it has become such a big part of culture. If I wind up being a prof someday, I'll definitely still be firing up Super Metroid in my off time :p

Anyway, I'm off for the night...I tend to wait up for the pic of the day. Glad it's not late this time around! Good chats though, and definitely keep up the good work! :)

AndreaAC

Haha, that's probably a good idea, especially considering there are likely many teachers or profs out there that are fairly young and are actually big fans of video games, particularly franchises from the 80s and 90s since it has become such a big part of culture. If I wind up being a prof someday, I'll definitely still be firing up Super Metroid in my off time :p

Anyway, I'm off for the night...I tend to wait up for the pic of the day. Glad it's not late this time around! Good chats though, and definitely keep up the good work! :)
xD exactly....and if i become a prof, i would be playing around with the Prime series 3D models in my free time....xD you know, take funny pics or something.

:3 thank you, i will, and i hope to see more drawings from you! xD and it was a awesome chat indeed.....

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
That name change is extremely appropriate!

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I'm expecting to get A LOT of criticism for this one...
I'm hoping Ridley does NOT make the roster. Not only is the size an issue in my opinion(I'll argue about that if you want), but he is also flying. I'm not a big metoid fan, but I don't think SSB 4 needs a giant dragon with overpowering abilities.
Though, the more I think about it, the more I think he will appear, for the fans.

JediLink

Smash Ace
I'm expecting to get A LOT of criticism for this one...
I'm hoping Ridley does NOT make the roster. Not only is the size an issue in my opinion(I'll argue about that if you want), but he is also flying. I'm not a big metoid fan, but I don't think SSB 4 needs a giant dragon with overpowering abilities.
Though, the more I think about it, the more I think he will appear, for the fans.
I've got to wonder why people come into this thread to say things like this.

EDIT: Also,
I'm not a big metoid fan
Well there's your problem.

Last edited:

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I've got to wonder why people come into this thread to say things like this.

EDIT: Also,

Well there's your problem.
I thought a new änti-ridley"thread would get locked for redundancy.
and I know I should learn more about the series before posting, but sadly I don't.

Good point, actually. Ridley could be a "hoverer" like mewtwo, or use charzard's flying mechanics, but...
I suppose I don't know him well enough to make these arguments.
Metroid IS lacking characters. They would have to water down his attacks though. He seems like a powerhouse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Mewtwo was NOT overpowering. He lacked close combat strength. He was great at his run and shoot game, but not in close combat.
I'm talking about canon Mewtwo. The point is when Mewtwo was translated into Melee his abilities weren't even remotely close to his actual potential. Ridley would be no different.

If your point is to reference Brawl Ridley as a starting point, I must point out that a boss is designed with completely different intentions from a playable character. Sakurai would not just directly translate Brawl boss Ridley's actual strength to a playable version (which varied depending on the difficulty setting).

Little Mac's actual abilities weren't directly translated to his playable form. Yes he still possesses an extremely potent uppercut move. But it's held back by a KO meter system instead of just tossing the uppercut out. You have to bear in mind that developers do tweak and test their creations. You shouldn't think any character will end up too strong or weak, fast or slow, or doing impossible feats just by looking at completely different situations.

Last edited:

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I understand your point with mewtwo now. Mewtwo from the pokemon series was strong, maybe overpowering is too much. Regardless, you are right with that example.

Everthing "fits" to make Ridley playable, I suppose, but I still kinda hope he doesn't make it. Chances are he will though.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I think the best thing to hope for is that if Ridley does make it in, Sakurai's talent will shine through and Ridley will be awesome despite your initial concerns. Happened with Rosalina, likely happened with Little Mac. A pretty good track record I think.

...And if Ridley's final appearances fails to please, I can only offer my condolences. =/

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
I understand your point with mewtwo now. Mewtwo from the pokemon series was strong, maybe overpowering is too much. Regardless, you are right with that example.

Everthing "fits" to make Ridley playable, I suppose, but I still kinda hope he doesn't make it. Chances are he will though.
"But I kinda hope he doesn't make it" Geez might as well said... "But I kinda hope all your hopes and dreams never come true"

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
and I know I should learn more about the series before posting, but sadly I don't.
You were planning on starting an Anti-thread for a character you don't even know about or researched?

So... Do you typically go into threads of characters only to argue against them? Just saying that arguing against characters is best saved for general character discussions.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
"But I kinda hope he doesn't make it" Geez might as well said... "But I kinda hope all your hopes and dreams never come true"
That is not a fair statement. I spoke my opinion. I have my wants and stated them where they were appropriate (ridley thread). I'm aware many of us here want Ridley, but I do not. I hope your "hopes and dreams do come true", but I also don't want Ridley.

You were planning on starting an Anti-thread for a character you don't even know about or researched?

So... Do you typically go into threads of characters only to argue against them? Just saying that arguing against characters is best saved for general character discussions.
You don't have to know THAT much about a character to see potential flaws in playability. And no, I do not usually do that. I thought this was as good a place as general discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That is not a fair statement. I spoke my opinion. I have my wants and stated them where they were appropriate (ridley thread). I'm aware many of us here want Ridley, but I do not. I hope your "hopes and dreams do come true", but I also don't want Ridley.

This seems like a case of "terrible time and place to share opinions that clash".

While its great to have opinions, I really don't see the point of coming into a thread that deals with alot of overly ridiculous criticism every day and, seemingly obliviously, just start saying "Yknow, you guys are cool and all, but I really hope your most wanted character doesn't make it."

Granted, it wasnt exactly that and wasnt said with malicious intent, but it may as well read that way to posters in this thread.

Floor

NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I can see your concern, but to me this seemed like the best place to state my opinion. Perhaps I should look elsewhere, but at the same time, I'm beginning to think I am the only person ever in existance to have this belief.

And I've also encountered people who think "that roster is unrealistic because it doesn't have Ridley." I think Ridley is tettering on the cliff of admission here. He may make it, but has an equal shot at missing.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If you think you're the only person who doesn't want/doesn't think Ridley's going to make it, then trust me you've been looking in the wrong places friend.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I have to say it doesn't help that some people, moderators included, tend to refer people to this thread whether or not they actually support Ridley's inclusion. This is the "Ridley for Smash 4" thread, not a "Ridley General" thread. Okay... We do often dive into general Ridley talk, but it's because the lot of us are Ridley fans. It just causes trouble when people opposed to playable Ridley come here thinking they can say whatever they want. Then they're annoyed when they get a lot of backlash.

I'm okay with some dissent within this topic, but only if the person genuinely wants to understand why people in this thread do want Ridley. But more often than not we get people who just want to detract from the very idea and start spouting the same tired arguments. That's when the proverbial bees' nest is disturbed.

Depending on what a poster writes, I'll address their concerns calmly, or I'll disregard them as a nuisance. It's not that hard to tell the difference.

...But let us try and tell the difference. Let's not chase away everyone who has a dissenting view.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I like the new name of this thread so much that I chose to made some art today and since I feel really bad for them sometimes I dedicate this pic to the Too Bigots, our worthy opponents who never fails to brighten up our day with their smart arguments:

PAINTLEY FOR SM4SH

majora_787

Smash Hero
Those are fighting words, good sir. Better trend lightly.

jk I won't bite :3
Eh? I thought Metroid Prime 2 was fine. I just don't think it lived up to Prime 1 or Prime 3 for a couple of reasons. It's still one of the best in the series.

EDIT: Such bad arguments. Very lack of knowledge. Wow

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Well I appreciate you posting in here instead, as it makes my job easier. Any given character thread is for discussion about that character and how they pertain to Smash in general, not just support for them to be playable. Making an anti-character thread is indeed redundant.

I respect your opinion for what it is (not the reasoning, though), but will say you should learn more about the series for any character you want/don't want in Smash before arguing about or for them.

On another note, don't double post if you can help it, as it's against the rules.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

You're the first person that I've seen who actually holds that kind of sentiment, regarding Ridley himself. Most people that I've come across who hate Ridley never stop to proclaim that "He doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell so you better go do something productive with your lives", or "are you seriously supporting someone who's all about size are you stupid". I'm not sure what this means about the general consensus about Ridley outside of the fandom, but I'm actually taking some solace in that he isn't being written off entirely.

But still, "hoping that some popular character doesn't make it"? How would you feel if your most wanted character was dismissed just like that?

majora_787

Smash Hero
If you walk into a character support thread to politely disagree, that's one thing, since "Anti-character" threads aren't really a thing. But walking into one to literally say "To everyone in this thread: I hope your favorite character never gets into the game" is another thing entirely and is just kind of rude. I mean I know I never went to the Waluigi thread before his deconfirmation to say,

"Regardless of whether or not he can work, which I don't think he can, your favorite character will never be in the game. You should feel silly."

Last edited:
Top Bottom