• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I said this elsewhere but what would your reactions be if Sakurai, after revealing Ridley as a newcomer, mentioned and showed us that Ridley was actually in the screenshots but off screen so you couldn't see him.
That would be funny as hell. We've been on a cliff hanger for almost 5 months and the fans have been on the verge of exploding the whole time. It was trolling back then but if this were true, I imagine Sakurai sitting at his desk and saying this every time he posts a Pyrosphere pic:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I said this elsewhere but what would your reactions be if Sakurai, after revealing Ridley as a newcomer, mentioned and showed us that Ridley was actually in the screenshots but off screen so you couldn't see him.
I would assume he wasn't talking about the screenshot with the lightning bits that so many people are tearing their balls out over. I'd assume it'd be some random screenshot, where Ridley is just off screen.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So, guys, I was thinking about Ridley's recovery, and it'd be kinda cool if they gave him a combined version of the Falcon Dive and Wings of Icarus. If Ridley manages to grab onto someone during the initial upward dash, he will latch onto them and carry them around as he pleases. Pressing A will throw the fellow forward, while B will have Ridley toss him (with little knockback, like a very weak meteor) down and behind him (as if he were just throwing him away). Whether or not he grabs (and then does or doesn't throw) someone, the Space Dive would allow Ridley to fly to safety for a little less time than the Wings of Icarus. He would not go prone after this attack, allowing for further aerial shenanigans.

That way, you get your flying grab and your recovery all on the same attack! More room for delicious Ridley goodness!

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
So, guys, I was thinking about Ridley's recovery, and it'd be kinda cool if they gave him a combined version of the Falcon Dive and Wings of Icarus. If Ridley manages to grab onto someone during the initial upward dash, he will latch onto them and carry them around as he pleases. Pressing A will throw the fellow forward, while B will have Ridley toss him (with little knockback, like a very weak meteor) down and behind him (as if he were just throwing him away). Whether or not he grabs (and then does or doesn't throw) someone, the Space Dive would allow Ridley to fly to safety for a little less time than the Wings of Icarus. He would not go prone after this attack, allowing for further aerial shenanigans.

That way, you get your flying grab and your recovery all on the same attack! More room for delicious Ridley goodness!
I was just wondering, alongside his recovery (nice idea btw), what would Ridley's grab be? (I'm not sure if this was discussed or not.)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
You mean like his standard grab?

I would assume one of his throws (likely down or forward) would be the face-grinder thing. Beyond that, I'm not too sure. I'd like if his pummel was him stabbing the victim with his tail, too; I've always had an idea where Ridley's grab would press the victim to the ground rather than hold them upright, as if Ridley were a big cat pinning his prey to the ground. After grabbing his opponent (his dashgrab would have him use his wings to propel himself forward momentarily) with his talons, he'd use his size to slam them into the ground. It would transition nicely into the face-grinder-dohickey, and in this position it would make more sense for it to be his forward-throw.

That would leave his down-throw open for an enhanced pummel, where he stabs, claws, and torches his victim with his usual brutality, dealing high damage for a throw, then dealing a final stab that launches them in some direction with little knockback. His other throws can just use his massive size and strength against he opponent; I'd like if his back-throw was him grabbing the victim around the waist with his tail, dragging them out from between his back legs, then chucking them with it.

Last edited:

BoxedCookies

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5370-0875-8652
You mean like his standard grab?
Yeah pretty much, alongside his throws as well. I assume that his down throw could played out as dragging his opponent on the floor similar to Other M, his back throw may be using his tail to fling his opponent, forward throw haven't really thought about much and up throw could involve grabbing his opponent by the mouth and launching them upwards maybe? I'm not very good with ideas.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
To be fair Saturn, some people thought the purple was Ridley. Ya can't blame em.
Why!? Ridley would be way bigger than that if he was a stage hazard, OTHER M Ridley has a different tail, and why would Sakurai hide Ridley there for literally no reason???

If people think this is some kind of conspiracy then god have mercy on their souls. 911 Conspiracists were more plausible than this!

Morbi

Scavenger
Why!? Ridley would be way bigger than that if he was a stage hazard, OTHER M Ridley has a different tail, and why would Sakurai hide Ridley there for literally no reason???

If people think this is some kind of conspiracy then god have mercy on their souls.
Exactly, he wouldn't intend to hide Ridley. That doesn't even make sense, he would have had to have spent hours aligning the attack effects to perfectly cover Ridley as he was flying by or being star KOed. He wouldn't have taken a picture with Ridley in the background in fear that it would be... well visible. :facepalm:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Exactly, he wouldn't intend to hide Ridley. That doesn't even make sense, he would have had to have spent hours aligning the attack effects to perfectly cover Ridley as he was flying by or being star KOed. He wouldn't have taken a picture with Ridley in the background in fear that it would be... well visible. :facepalm:
People believe that Sakurai actually wastes development time to troll people though. So they think that's why Ridley is supposedly hidden. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member

Imagine what speculation would be like if he had revealed the Nintendog assist on the Pyrosphere instead of Battlefield. :troll:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm sorry that you were unable to imagine the possibility that something could have been hiding there and that you lack the ability to have read the word Mystery Creature across the topic a few times.
I hate being a douchebag (actually I look for excuses) but the fact that people thought it was anything but lightning speaks greatly about the amount of people over 90 years old on this board. Because only their eyesight is that degraded.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I hate being a douchebag (actually I look for excuses) but the fact that people thought it was anything but lightning speaks greatly about the amount of people over 90 years old on this board. Because only their eyesight is that degraded.
To be fair, while I don't believe in the myth the same way others did, I can at least see how they came to their conclusion, as misguided as it may be.

This subject could be very much turn into religion versus atheism and make no difference, now that I think about it.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
To be fair, while I don't believe in the myth the same way others did, I can at least see how they came to their conclusion, as misguided as it may be.

This subject could be very much turn into religion versus atheism and make no difference, now that I think about it.
Well Ridley is a deity so I could see that happening

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
You know, I just thought of something. Don't take this seriously, it's meant to be more of a joke.

What if Sakurai took Ridley and pulled a Toon Link, like with the Spirit Train?

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
You know, I just thought of something. Don't take this seriously, it's meant to be more of a joke.

What if Sakurai took Ridley and pulled a Toon Link, like with the Spirit Train?
It'd have to be justified somehow. The two Toon Links are literally 100 years apart from each other. It'd have to be a distinctly different incarnation.

Ridley-X in a Sector 6 Metroid Fusion stage for 3DS, maybe?

I'm taking a joke seriously yeah come at me

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
We've already discussed this to death and back. Other M Ridley = clone that eventually becomes Neo Ridley (politically correct term for Ridley-X).

And everyone would love original/SM/ZM/Smash Ridley being in.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If I'm somehow right about this, I'm gonna laugh my *** off.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
It'd have to be justified somehow. The two Toon Links are literally 100 years apart from each other. It'd have to be a distinctly different incarnation.

Ridley-X in a Sector 6 Metroid Fusion stage for 3DS, maybe?

I'm taking a joke seriously yeah come at me
Considering that there are two Ridle-

We've already discussed this to death and back. Other M Ridley = clone that eventually becomes Neo Ridley (politically correct term for Ridley-X).

Oh, good.

majora_787

Smash Hero

It would be weird and inconsistent, but it'd be Ridley nonetheless. :p

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I take offense that I am considered stupid for be 50/50 on what that purple blur is, I am a fan as much as you all are and it will pretty much kill my hype if he is overlooked again spite his demand. I been looking and comparing it to other pics of the stage but it looks so solid and the size would be smaller if he is in the background,

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Don't take offense. Both sides are misunderstanding. You're not stupid.

No, it isn't Ridley. Everyone can stay calm. It's just the graphical effect. If Sakurai wanted to tease Ridley, he would have directly mentioned whatever he was clearly attempting to hide. It's just too little to work with, and I'm sure it's nothing.

JediLink

Smash Ace
I highly, highly doubt those little splotches of purple are supposed to be Ridley. If there really was a Ridley behind those effects, the whole thing would look very different from what the picture actually shows.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ridley

Ridley weighs about as much as King DeDeDe. He is slightly below average on the ground in speed, but has quick dodges. His air speed and air dodge are among the best. This coupled with his specialized Up B make him a force. He also has ways to rack up damage from all areas on the battlefield. But Ridley, without his Flight mode, only has one jump. He really needs to use his wings to take advantage of the air.

Mechanics: Crawl, Glide
Built in Disadvantage: One jump without using Flight Mode

A: Slash with a claw
A,A: Slash with a claw, then the other claw
A,A,A: Slash with a claw, then the other claw, then raises both claws above his head and smashes both into the floor. Rakes them backwards.

Toward A: Lashes out with his pointed tail. Good range, but one must be precise to make the best use of it.
Down A: While crouched, Ridley swipes one extended arm forward with outstretched claws. If sweet-spotted, the attack becomes a grab where upon Ridley will clutch the leg (or hover body in the case of R.O.B) and flip them high into the air.
Up A: Ridley curves his neck backwards while emitting fire in a smoldering arch similar to Samus's Up Smash.

Down Smash: Ridley rotates his body while emitting a stream of plasma fire at the ground. It leaves a circle of fire for a couple seconds that could damage others, but not Ridley (due to his scales we will say).
Up Smash: Fires a plasma sphere into the sky (the size and ascension of the attack depends on the charged power)
Forward Smash: Ridley opens his jaws. The orange buildup of fire in his throat can be seen. He lunges forward with a bite which causes an explosion upon impact.

Dash A: Ridley flaps his wings for a burst of speed and swings both his claws out before delivering a bite.

Aerials

Neutral Aerial: Snaps his jaws in front of him, then behind, then in front again in rapid succession. Made possible by this long neck.
Forward Aerial: Curves his neck back in an S shape, then lunges forward with a bite. Can be charged.
Back Aerial: A whip like attack with his tail. Good range with sweet-spot on tip.
Up Aerial: Slashes both claws upwards. When the claws from either hand clash at the apex, a fountain of sparks shoots upwards.
Down Aerial: Maneuvers his tail like a whip behind him before lashing it straight down, the spine stiffening. Great in the air, but the tail can be lodged in the floor if it connects with the ground.

Specials

B Plasma Shot: Fires a spread burst of three fire balls. No knockback or stun. However, they do slight splash damage when they collide with part of the stage resulting in a little stun and knockback. Angled down if Ridley is in the air and angled in straight cone pattern if on the ground.

B Plasma Beam (charged): Ridley can charge the shot into a beam. However, it cannot be stored. The beam shoots straight if on the ground and diagonal in the air. Does very good damage, but only has knockback and stun around Ridley's mouth (which would knock the victim into the rest of the attack).

Down B WingSpan: Ridley opens his wings. These are the effects.
•If on the ground, anyone that rolls past Ridley with his wings spread, hits the wing, has their momentum canceled and suffers stun.
•In the air, Ridley can use this move to cancel his momentum. Also, sends air dodgers into a helpless state.
•In a glide, Ridley can use this move to cancel his glide and create a shockwave that travels and does knockback depending on the duration of the glide.

Up B Fly Mode: Launches Ridley into the air a good vertical distance with super armor. He then gains three jumps. Cannot be used again until he hits the ground.

Toward B Dive Bomb (On the Ground): Ridley leaps high into the air and then dive bombs in a diagonal fashion either left or right until he smashes into the floor. Good knockback, but has downtime as Ridley as to recuperate from launching himself into the ground.

Toward B Dive Bomb (In the Air): Ridley automatically enters a dive bomb either left or right until he hits the floor.

Throws

Pummel: Ridley bites his victim.
Toward and Back Throw: Ridley jumps up, impales his victim with his tail, and drags them in the direction pressed. This direction can be changed midway in the animation. The opponent pops up and away afterwards. Good damage-racker.
Up Throw: Ridley flies up and off the screen with opponent. He then blocks the camera briefly as he flies toward the stage (in the direction the players are looking at the TV) and slams the victim into the spot he was grabbed.
Down Throw: Leaps on top of the opponent causing them to smash to the ground. Then springs upwards into the air. Does not use a jump.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I think Ridley's downward Tail Thrust --wich would be his dair-- is a mandatory attack, and he should be able to angle his tail when doing this attack, much like his Super Metroid boss battle.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
@ Bowserlick

I really liked your Down B Wingspan idea. It's definitely interesting and original, especially when used with the glide. It would really cement Ridley as the aerial powerhouse he should be.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ridley

Ridley weighs about as much as King DeDeDe. He is slightly below average on the ground in speed, but has quick dodges. His air speed and air dodge are among the best. This coupled with his specialized Up B make him a force. He also has ways to rack up damage from all areas on the battlefield. But Ridley, without his Flight mode, only has one jump. He really needs to use his wings to take advantage of the air.

Mechanics: Crawl, Glide
Built in Disadvantage: One jump without using Flight Mode

A: Slash with a claw
A,A: Slash with a claw, then the other claw
A,A,A: Slash with a claw, then the other claw, then raises both claws above his head and smashes both into the floor. Rakes them backwards.

Toward A: Lashes out with his pointed tail. Good range, but one must be precise to make the best use of it.
Down A: While crouched, Ridley swipes one extended arm forward with outstretched claws. If sweet-spotted, the attack becomes a grab where upon Ridley will clutch the leg (or hover body in the case of R.O.B) and flip them high into the air.
Up A: Ridley curves his neck backwards while emitting fire in a smoldering arch similar to Samus's Up Smash.

Down Smash: Ridley rotates his body while emitting a stream of plasma fire at the ground. It leaves a circle of fire for a couple seconds that could damage others, but not Ridley (due to his scales we will say).
Up Smash: Fires a plasma sphere into the sky (the size and ascension of the attack depends on the charged power)
Forward Smash: Ridley opens his jaws. The orange buildup of fire in his throat can be seen. He lunges forward with a bite which causes an explosion upon impact.

Dash A: Ridley flaps his wings for a burst of speed and swings both his claws out before delivering a bite.

Aerials

Neutral Aerial: Snaps his jaws in front of him, then behind, then in front again in rapid succession. Made possible by this long neck.
Forward Aerial: Curves his neck back in an S shape, then lunges forward with a bite. Can be charged.
Back Aerial: A whip like attack with his tail. Good range with sweet-spot on tip.
Up Aerial: Slashes both claws upwards. When the claws from either hand clash at the apex, a fountain of sparks shoots upwards.
Down Aerial: Maneuvers his tail like a whip behind him before lashing it straight down, the spine stiffening. Great in the air, but the tail can be lodged in the floor if it connects with the ground.

Specials

B Plasma Shot: Fires a spread burst of three fire balls. No knockback or stun. However, they do slight splash damage when they collide with part of the stage resulting in a little stun and knockback. Angled down if Ridley is in the air and angled in straight cone pattern if on the ground.

B Plasma Beam (charged): Ridley can charge the shot into a beam. However, it cannot be stored. The beam shoots straight if on the ground and diagonal in the air. Does very good damage, but only has knockback and stun around Ridley's mouth (which would knock the victim into the rest of the attack).

Down B WingSpan: Ridley opens his wings. These are the effects.
•If on the ground, anyone that rolls past Ridley with his wings spread, hits the wing, has their momentum canceled and suffers stun.
•In the air, Ridley can use this move to cancel his momentum. Also, sends air dodgers into a helpless state.
•In a glide, Ridley can use this move to cancel his glide and create a shockwave that travels and does knockback depending on the duration of the glide.

Up B Fly Mode: Launches Ridley into the air a good vertical distance with super armor. He then gains three jumps. Cannot be used again until he hits the ground.

Toward B Dive Bomb (On the Ground): Ridley leaps high into the air and then dive bombs in a diagonal fashion either left or right until he smashes into the floor. Good knockback, but has downtime as Ridley as to recuperate from launching himself into the ground.

Toward B Dive Bomb (In the Air): Ridley automatically enters a dive bomb either left or right until he hits the floor.

Throws

Pummel: Ridley bites his victim.
Toward and Back Throw: Ridley jumps up, impales his victim with his tail, and drags them in the direction pressed. This direction can be changed midway in the animation. The opponent pops up and away afterwards. Good damage-racker.
Up Throw: Ridley flies up and off the screen with opponent. He then blocks the camera briefly as he flies toward the stage (in the direction the players are looking at the TV) and slams the victim into the spot he was grabbed.
Down Throw: Leaps on top of the opponent causing them to smash to the ground. Then springs upwards into the air. Does not use a jump.
Where's the final smash and as for down special as for whats bowsers down special chop liver but the wing thing could be added at the end of down special

I really love the Metroid franchise. With that said, I don't think Ridley should be a playable character; it doesn't feel right.

Metroid is about Samus and her constant state of isolation. The only other Metroid rep needed is Zero Suit Samus, as it is still Samus.

Not to mention he looks incredibly demented, which really doesn't work well as something someone would want to play as. I mean, you could shrink him, but he would look like a purple mosquito. That and Ridley should never win; if Ridley wins, everyone dies, he's evil as ****. Sure Ganon and Bowser may win sometimes, but that's temporary and the good guy always comes out on top. Even Wolf doesn't beef with Fox like that anymore, he's a merc, just like Fox.

Hate to be negative, but I don't think he's gonna make it as a playable character. The way I see it is that there is an overlaying theme to the characters in Smash to a certain degree.

Mario has his friends
Zelda characters are the 3 Triforce pieces
DK has his best friend Diddy
Fox has his right hand man
Kirby has the dreamland team
Samus is alone

That's just the way it is man.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I really love the Metroid franchise. With that said, I don't think Ridley should be a playable character; it doesn't feel right. Oh, really?

Metroid is about Samus and her constant state of isolation. The only other Metroid rep needed is Zero Suit Samus, as it is still Samus. Adding Ridley would only help with the isolation, showing how she has to fend for herself, by herself, against Ridley.

Not to mention he looks incredibly demented, which really doesn't work well as something someone would want to play as. I mean, you could shrink him, but he would look like a purple mosquito. That and Ridley should never win; if Ridley wins, everyone dies, he's evil as ****. Sure Ganon and Bowser may win sometimes, but that's temporary and the good guy always comes out on top. Even Wolf doesn't beef with Fox like that anymore, he's a merc, just like Fox. I'd say this looks just right.

Hate to be negative, but I don't think he's gonna make it as a playable character. The way I see it is that there is an overlaying theme to the characters in Smash to a certain degree.

Mario has his friends
Zelda characters are the 3 Triforce pieces
DK has his best friend Diddy
Fox has his right hand man
Kirby has the dreamland team
Samus is alone
That's a really bad argument if I've ever seen one.
That's just the way it is man.
Responces in red

I've never seen those arguments/opinions ever before.
I think a lot about these characters and how they function in their universes and their coorelation to the smash universe. Either way, I thought it would be better to post my reasoning then some argument about size etc.

Responces in red
All I got from you is saying my argument is bad without reasons, dude. And having Ridley wouldn't help with isolation, it would hurt it. Unless the game is programmed that you can't ever team with Ridley with Samus then it's not gonna work. She's no longer by herself either, she has friends to jump him. Not to mention he just doesn't look good that small and not flying, it's really odd looking, but that's just me. I mean you can't agree with one point of my argument and them right after say it's bad; you're choosing a bad time to be conspicuous.

How is my statement bad? I mean, am I wrong? Some characters just fit certain roles better than others. It is what it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I really love the Metroid franchise. With that said, I think Ridley ought to be a playable character; it just feels right.

Metroid is about Samus the bounty hunter facing down the many threatening creatures of the galaxy. The most prominent creature aside from Metroids themselves is Ridley, Samus's ultimate nemesis.

Not to mention he looks incredibly intimidating, which really works well as something someone would want to play as. I mean sure he's generally very large, but you could scale him down just enough to retain his large size and not go overboard and make him look like a purple mosquito. Additionally this is Smash, not just another Metroid game, so Ridley doesn't need to be in a role that requires him to lose. It doesn't affect any canon anyway. Besides Ganon and Bowser get to have their day in the sun thanks to Smash. The good guys don't always come out on top here! Even Wolf, who's just a merc like Fox, get's to taunt and battle him in contrast to the current Star Fox lore.

So to be encouraging, I think there is still a chance he's gonna make it as a playable character. The way I see it is that there is an overlaying theme to the characters in Smash to a certain degree.

Popular all-star characters often get in.

That's just the way it is, and it's favorable to Ridley.

Top Bottom