• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Neither of the circled things in the picture look like pieces of Ridley. Other Ridley's claws are not white. Nor do they match the proportions of Ridley, unless, he's literally a single claw with a tail disjointedly attached to him, if that's even what said circled things were. They're the lightning effects as seen in the above two pictures.
They look enough like pieces of Ridley for there to be a debate about it. ;)

The argued talon looks purple to me, it fits on top a previously seen platform in the background, arguably doesn't match previously parts of the stage, and is curved in the opposite direction of the main red/white lighting effect.

It's tough to say if it matches the proportions of Ridley given it's in the background, but then again what are the confirmed portions of Ridley?

Sakurai has no reason to use a picture with an unconfirmed feature. He's not a YouTuber, he's not going to awkwardly hide a huge game changer behind an effect.
To be fair it's not a feature, it's a possible already somewhat hinted at stage hazard. Not to mention there have been pics with unconfirmed things such as the Zelda/Phantom Knight, Xerneas, and Yellow Devil pics. It should also be known by now that Sakurai likes to troll.

Granted either side could be wrong, it is a very small section of a large picture, but based on what has already been hinted and speculated at it's rather uncalled for to call people idiots when they disagree with your opinion.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Look! Ridley's in this picture too!

This one, too!

Neither of the circled things in the picture look like pieces of Ridley. Other Ridley's claws are not white. Nor do they match the proportions of Ridley, unless, he's literally a single claw with a tail disjointedly attached to him, if that's even what said circled things were. They're the lightning effects as seen in the above two pictures. Sakurai has no reason to use a picture with an unconfirmed feature. He's not a YouTuber, he's not going to awkwardly hide a huge game changer behind an effect.
You say that and yet we've gotten an image with an unconfirmed game feature before.

We still don't really know what Xerneas does right? I mean this was posted in October with no context other than, "Nope! No Pokémon here!", and the Pokéball wasn't shown until two months later in Rosalina's trailer. And even with that, we still don't definitively know what Xerneas's role is in the game.
Smash Balls are also an unconfirmed game feature, right? I mean we've seen two Final Smashes and a Smash Ball in promotional content but never one in game. So where are they then are they actually in the game who knows maybe we can guess but will be sure who knows!?!?!???!??!

Also if you're telling me Sakurai has no reason to play with his fans, you obviously fail to realize that he is having fun with these screenshots.

So he could still just be playing with us. Of course, as I've said, I'm sure the possibility is there. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong I can deal with that. But you shouldn't call me an idiot for having an actual reason to believe that the man that put his cat in smash brothers would actually do this because he felt like it.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
There is no "unknown". It's NOT Ridley. The "purple" is a special effect while the "talon" is a part of the background graphic. It's nothing but sheer coincidence that they both lined up in a way to look like a "purple talon". And heck it's not even two or three. Just the illusion of one awkwardly crooked finger with a perfectly lateral rectangular nail. Or perhaps one assumes it's Other M Ridley's tail...

Either way, time to finish this.

Three other images with the same background element in discussion. It's the dark panels with the greenish lines. It's clear these are wire panels that have faint lights travel through them looking all futuristic.

What happened is that the edge of a special effect from Dedede landing his hammer attack perfectly line up with the brightest portion of one of these traveling wire lights (clearly I don't know what else to call this thing...:urg:). The transparency of the effect just happened to cause it to look "Ridley Purple".

Even without this heavy-handed explanation, there are still two, no, three problems with the assumption:

1 - As I already stated, the "talon" portion we're staring at is too square and perfectly aligned with the background elements.

2 - The "Ridley Purple" color. We should all be well aware of just how good this game's lighting is. Why then on a stage lit by the surrounding lava would Ridley be so darn vividly purple? Even more so if he's supposedly in the background where the light from the lava would be even more present?

3 - Whether talon or tail, the scale and shape is all wrong. If a talon, then that's clearly not Other M Ridley. No way classic Ridley would be the stage hazard. If a tail, the scale is WAAAY off even with the deceptively vast scale of the stage.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The thing is those examples of Xerneas and the like were all front and center despite him not alluding to what they were, to hide Ridley or Mystery Creature he has to deliberately be hiding it behind the effect which seems to be more trouble then it's worth. If he really wanted to hide it he'd pick a different angle, not try to cover it up.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm still somewhat skeptical, but whatever, I wear glasses in real life anyway. :laugh:

Sad thing is this still doesn't change the awkward position Ridley is in in terms of speculation. :ohwell:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm willing to concede that it could be the lightning effect after reading Anomilus's analyzation and reasoning. I wasn't 100% sure to begin with, but I did feel it was worth the conversation and derailing from the generic too big shenanigans Ridley gets into all the time.
The thing is those examples of Xerneas and the like were all front and center despite him not alluding to what they were, to hide Ridley or Mystery Creature he has to deliberately be hiding it behind the effect which seems to be more trouble then it's worth. If he really wanted to hide it he'd pick a different angle, not try to cover it up.
That's true too. Oh well, was a fun discussion while it lasted.
Where the hell is this fabled talon and tail anyway? All I'm seeing is a fat penguin clobbren dat der Toon Lank.

The talon is easier to see than the tail.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I'm willing to concede that it could be the lightning effect after reading Anomilus's analyzation and reasoning. I wasn't 100% sure to begin with, but I did feel it was worth the conversation and derailing from the generic too big shenanigans Ridley gets into all the time.

I WAS FOCUSING MY EYES AND I SAW THE FACE. BRIX WUR ****.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You really don't see the talon? The tail I understand, but nothing even resembles one to you?
Alright, here's what I see.

King Dedede, Marth, and Toon Link are on the Pyrosphere stage. King Dedede is tired of the other guys **** so he decided to smash their faces in with the rage of a thousand suns. I don't see any talons or tails, all I see is King Dedede using his forward smash on Marth and Toon Link.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I can see what I imagine some people are telling themselves is a talon, but think it's absolutely stupid that they're doing so. Ridley would have a hand or foot full of talons, not a measly one that just so happens to be protruding from a heavyweight's F-Smash, which have already been seen emitting electricity.

That little 'talon' bit on the end looks like a spark of fire in the air, which can be seen in the Sonic trailer.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Unless the scaling is way off, the only way that could be Ridley is if Sakurai put the Adolescent Ridley on the Pyrosphere stage.

That being said... that one purple shape - tail or talon (or most likely, sparks) - there's something there behind the smash effect.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Alright, here's what I see.

King Dedede, Marth, and Toon Link are on the Pyrosphere stage. King Dedede is tired of the other guys **** so he decided to smash their faces in with the rage of a thousand suns. I don't see any talons or tails, all I see is King Dedede using his forward smash on Marth and Toon Link.
It's a small detail, but it honestly doesn't matter much anymore. What I saw is Sakurai watching Dedede hitting people with his hammer while unintentionally creating a visual illusion of the possibility that something purple and scaly was hiding behind the red launch effect.

But I guess all it really is just Sakurai watching himself hitting people with his strong side attack smash.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
As sick and twisted Lord Sakurai is, if he wanted to reveal Ridley as a stage hazard, he'd do it in style. He wouldn't hide him behind things and give visual clues.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You really don't see the talon? The tail I understand, but nothing even resembles one to you?

That purple talon can't be Ridley...

Because Ridley has never had purple talons!

Take a look for yourself.

The talons themselves aren't purple. They're whitish. And if we could see the purple, we would see white too.

Ah, but what about the tail?

That has tons of white on it too.

That purple streak could be a lot of things. But it can't be Ridley!

My client is still where he was before. No evidence for or against his inclusion.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Ridley is only too big to be playable, obviously he can be resized to the point where his talons are as big as a toothpicks when he's a hazard.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

That purple talon can't be Ridley...

Because Ridley has never had purple talons!

Take a look for yourself.

The talons themselves aren't purple. They're whitish. And if we could see the purple, we would see white too.

Ah, but what about the tail?

That has tons of white on it too.

That purple streak could be a lot of things. But it can't be Ridley!

My client is still where he was before. No evidence for or against his inclusion.
Oh, sorry boss.

The correct word would have been toe then.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh, sorry boss.

The correct word would have been toe then.

Are you suggesting that we would see his hands/feet without his fingers/toes?

Ridley is big, but he's not big enough to hide his own body parts.

The suggestion that it's his foot or hand is spotty at best.

If Ridley really was visible. Why be in that shape and size?

I mean let's look at the evidence.

The circle on the left is supposed to be his hand, correct? The one on the right being his tail?

Okay. Let's assume that's true for a minute.

If the left circle is his hand, then why is it as big as his tail?

His tail is much thicker and longer than any of his fingers or toes.

There is one more inconsistency.

If that was his foot, than we would be able to see the white, correct?

Well, let's take another look at the evidence.

ACK! There is white there.

Oh wait... It's just part of the design on the wall.

What position would Ridley have to be in for us to only see the purple part of his foot and keep that kind of shape?

I'll tell you.

Some deformed position that not even Ridley could make!

That's all there really is to it. That purple streak cannot be Ridley. Unless Ridley can somehow contort his claws into some odd shape, it physically can't be him.

My client again has no evidence for or against him. The defense states that Ridley cannot be in that picture.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think in general that if Sakurai were going to purposely tease Ridley in that picture that he would have made it the main focus.

"Pic of the Day. Here's King Dedede using his smash attack? But wait, what's that behind the smash?"

Not to mention, it's a really really small issue, considering the effects line up perfectly with the surroundings. It's not a character back there. It's a giant wall.

Anyway, I have to be honest. If Ridley IS a stage hazard, I want him revealed soon so that I don't have to think about him. Otherwise, I want him revealed as playable.

I'm spoiled.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Wright, I should have known your protege would be just as scatter-brained as you are.

She's got a good head on her shoulders.

She's just been through a lot recently.

Besides, that would imply my points are invalid.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Aw, yes. I do recall some psychological trauma in her past. My apologies.

You should know a lot about that, eh Edgeworth?

Don't let it happen again.

(Wow, I can see why he does stuff like that. It feels great!)

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am a big ridley fan as you all are but I see something SOLID when the lightning effect are transparent, some problems I see

1. it can seem smaller because ridley is in the background

2. maybe what ppl are seeing as talons are really his tail

Attachments

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior

Sakurai's face is easier to see than Ridley.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
1. it can seem smaller because ridley is in the background

2. maybe what ppl are seeing as talons are really his tail
1. That wouldn't explain the tail vs hand inconsistency.

2. Point still stands. We would see white.

Oh my god. Are we still talking about that illusion people talk about?

Or we just kidding and trolling?

Seriously guys, cut it out. You're creeping me out.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Oh my god. Are we still talking about that illusion people talk about?

Or we just kidding and trolling?

Seriously guys, cut it out. You're creeping me out.
It starts out as trolling, and ends out as a joke.

Man, it will for sure be a GLORIOUS DAY when FINALLY! AT LAST!!!

The Godfather of Space Genocide!!!
The Space Pirate Cap-a-tain King who is nothing if not Mean!
The Bounty Hunter's Hunter!
The Giant Fake Kraid Eater!
The Cunning God of Death!
The Dread in the Sky!
The Sign of the Beast Divine!

RIDLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I said this elsewhere but what would your reactions be if Sakurai, after revealing Ridley as a newcomer, mentioned and showed us that Ridley was actually in the screenshots but off screen so you couldn't see him.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I said this elsewhere but what would your reactions be if Sakurai, after revealing Ridley as a newcomer, mentioned and showed us that Ridley was actually in the screenshots but off screen so you couldn't see him.
I wouldn't really care, though I'd still be surprised given that it is just an effect.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
I wake up this morning only to see even more pointless bickering about what are clearly just visual graphics? Really? Really? Some people are starting to hallucinate, I guess...

Top Bottom