• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I've been watching since day 1 if the Pyrosphere's holes would be fixed. Seeing the holes patched up would convince me Ridley is a hazard. So far though it's as if they are permanently there as just a reminder that an epic battle was once held there between 2 great characters. After all Snake's stage in Brawl would reform after the Metal Gears crashed the place. Of course Ridley could just come through pre made holes. :(

About Pyrosphere having 1 or more stage hazards don't forget we have been shown what looks to be at least one stage hazard that wasn't even part of the source material. Underneath the stage just at the ledges there looks to be some sort of electrical tubes that look dangerous to the player. Maybe I dreamed that up, I'll check to be sure. If you guys are convinced of just 1 hazard per stage(that's not moving) then maybe that's it. Keep hope alive!
wait, what was the other stage hazard on pyrosphere? I don't follow this info well enough.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
wait, what was the other stage hazard on pyrosphere? I don't follow this info well enough.
We don't know for sure but underneath the stage Sakurai added something that looks dangerous. I don't remember it at all in Other M and I doubt its there just for decoration. Looks like something that might turn on and off zapping players as they try to recover.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
While I like your tenacity, it sounds a bit awkward and too heroic for a Ridley victory. I always pictured his victory theme just being the most iconic part of his theme with no little "flair" on the end or anything; just very cold, commanding, and functional. It starts quieter, but grows in intensity and volume until, at the end, it simply cuts off, leaving silence.

Bum-bum, ba-da Bum Bum, ba-da Bum Bum, Ba-da-Bum.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
We don't know for sure but underneath the stage Sakurai added something that looks dangerous. I don't remember it at all in Other M and I doubt its there just for decoration. Looks like something that might turn on and off zapping players as they try to recover.
when was that pic?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
In today's picture we see the startup animation of the lava, which means it isn't flowing constantly. Could mean lava hazard.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
In today's picture we see the startup animation of the lava, which means it isn't flowing constantly. Could mean lava hazard.
No...

That's just lava falling behind a pillar.

I see no evidence of a start up at all...

Welshy91

Smash Ace
What are you people talking about? The site isn't updated yet. O.o
edited for the site updating as soon as I post this

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
While I like your tenacity, it sounds a bit awkward and too heroic for a Ridley victory. I always pictured his victory theme just being the most iconic part of his theme with no little "flair" on the end or anything; just very cold, commanding, and functional. It starts quieter, but grows in intensity and volume until, at the end, it simply cuts off, leaving silence.

Bum-bum, ba-da Bum Bum, ba-da Bum Bum, Ba-da-Bum.
That was my original thought to just base it off his theme. But ultimately he has to represent the Metroid series, not just himself. I'm not too keen on changing the pitch and using more minor notes, but I could at least test the idea and give it a darker edge. It's a lot of changing to make the Item Acquisition Theme sound sinister in any form. =/

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That was my original thought to just base it off his theme. But ultimately he has to represent the Metroid series, not just himself. I'm not too keen on changing the pitch and using more minor notes, but I could at least test the idea and give it a darker edge. It's a lot of changing to make the Item Acquisition Theme sound sinister in any form. =/
Yeah, the Item Acquisition Theme is really really jolly. Then again, the Kirby dance theme is that too, and yet they made it sound badass as **** for Meta Knight.

Unique victory themes was something they were experimenting with for each character in Brawl though, but was cut, probably because of time restrictions. I think it's fair enough to make them go beyond alternate versions of the franchise's iconic jingles.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's part of the lightning effect for when a hard hit connects in Smash 4. You can also see some of that lightning close to Dedede's belly.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
No it's not. It's blue by the edges but is overlapped by the red blast effect, which makes it look purple-ish. The lightnings are all around the place of impact, and that lightning is no exception. It's fairly obvious that it's the tip of the same effect.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I hope that is not actually ridley in the background behind the blast animation…What a tease

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Ridley: Another Pyrosphere stage day, and another day to mess with me. I'm really getting sick of this!
Yep they are doing it again they are judging that the purple lines beside dedede hammer smoke is Ridley

I am 100% sure the purple is just lightning effect and for the Ridley purple ones simply just the lightning fading

Sakurai trolling us again

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I doubt Sakurai is trolling us. It's just supposed to show King Dedede kick some ass with his Hammer. Nothing wrong with that. We're just looking into to things too deeply. Sometimes you gotta look at things at face value. This pic is clearly one of those things.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I mean, honestly, every pyrosphere pic we get that doesn't show ridley as a stage hazard is a blessing in my book, frustrating as it may be.

Hey guys does anyone have that Ridley's too big pic where it slowly scales out of the observable universe, and then ridley? I can't find it anywhere.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Every flashy new lighting effect shown on the Pyrosphere just has to be some tint of purple to send our minds racing, doesn't it...

Anyways, I had an idea the other day after browsing that one Miiverse pic compilation website. Battlefield is far and away the stage used most for pics, which makes sense because it's the default stage and is quite scenic. You know what else it is? Hazard-free, which makes it a whole lot easier to leisurely set up and take pics.

With that in mind, it's quite possible that the other stages we've seen quite often in pics, like Smashville, the Punch Out!! ring, Skyloft, and most importantly, the Pyrosphere, are hazard-free as well, and that's why Sakurai generally chooses from those stages for his daily pics. Intrusive hazards are also potentially why we don't see as much of stages like Dr. Wily's Castle. Thoughts?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Every flashy new lighting effect shown on the Pyrosphere just has to be some tint of purple to send our minds racing, doesn't it...

Anyways, I had an idea the other day after browsing that one Miiverse pic compilation website. Battlefield is far and away the stage used most for pics, which makes sense because it's the default stage and is quite scenic. You know what else it is? Hazard-free, which makes it a whole lot easier to leisurely set up and take pics.

With that in mind, it's quite possible that the other stages we've seen quite often in pics, like Smashville, the Punch Out!! ring, Skyloft, and most importantly, the Pyrosphere, are hazard-free as well, and that's why Sakurai generally chooses from those stages for his daily pics. Intrusive hazards are also potentially why we don't see as much of stages like Dr. Wily's Castle. Thoughts?
It's possible. That would make sense. The important thing with Pyrosphere too, is that we haven't seen it without the holes. Which means that they're already there at the beginning of the match, or there is something that cause them early in the fight. However, there is no indication of that thus far.

I still want to see if there is any indication that the lava is a hazard on the stage as well, as I certainly feel that that would disconfirm any chance of Ridley being a hazard. Two hazards on one stage, especially in the combination of rising lava and an attacking behemoth would render the map unplayable.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Sounds plausible. Nice observation.

Indeed, the stages more often seen in the pictures are those with less hazards. Mario Galaxy seems to be showing up quite often since its reveal and doesn't seem to have any obstacles, its main gimmick being the gravity towards the center of the planet.

As for 3DS stages, the most common choices are Battlefield, Gerudo Valley, Nintendogs and Arena Ferox. Spirit Train and the new Mario stages are also often picked. The latter is a scrolling stage, but doesn't seem very intrusive.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If that was Ridley in the picture, then that's one HELL of a size change for him considering that he's small enough to be concealed within a lighting effect.

That seems very likely. Although my thoughts on the Pyrosphere have changed after seeing the Arena Ferox feature the two statues from Castle Siege in one picture of the day. Now I'm speculating that the Pyrosphere will have the same rising-acid/lava hazard as the last three games before. Or maybe it's going to be a mixture of both Norfair and Frigate Orpheon, with both lava as a hazard and the lighting going on and off?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

This is something I've been speculating ever since the stage was used as a ground to showcase things like the Hocotate Bomb and Link's new meteor smash. So yeah, can't say I don't agree with you, but we probably shouldn't lean too much back, since the Punch Out ring was shown to have a new feature recently, and even if it isn't a stage hazard I do think that it goes to show that anything can happen at this point.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To be honest, I just check google for images of the Pyrosphere. There are several of them. In most of them that provides a good enough angle, both holes are always there.

Additionally, there was a picture on the site of the lava flowing into the arena, so it's possible that it overflows and swaps the arena until it vents out.

My theory at this point is, that if that hole isn't there at the beginning, then our fears may be actually met, because something very specific would have to impact a wall like that to create a hole that shape in such a large manner. That wouldn't happen from a spontaneous explosion that wasn't specifically there.

However, if it turns out that it's there from the beginning, then we're fine. Unless of course Ridley were to still fly out of the hole in the wall anyway, but that would be much less climactic.

D

Deleted member

Found a relevant image.

Then again, kind of superfluous now, given Sakurai's official statement in regards to Kirby and Olimar....

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Still wondering why theres a hole shaped like his head for some reason.
Because he created said hole in Other M? From the looks of things, the Pyrosphere has already experienced the battle between Samus and Ridley. That hole was made by him when he realized just how dangerous Samus can be and used it to escape from the area.

There's also the matter of the two things on the sides of the stage, next to Bowser and Samus respectively. You can tell from looking at it that it's already experienced some damage from said encounter. It's the same for every picture of the Pyrosphere.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's possible. That would make sense. The important thing with Pyrosphere too, is that we haven't seen it without the holes. Which means that they're already there at the beginning of the match, or there is something that cause them early in the fight. However, there is no indication of that thus far.

I still want to see if there is any indication that the lava is a hazard on the stage as well, as I certainly feel that that would disconfirm any chance of Ridley being a hazard. Two hazards on one stage, especially in the combination of rising lava and an attacking behemoth would render the map unplayable.
I can't help but remember Norfair.

D

Deleted member

Well, Norfair was a domain of Ridley's like Pyrosphere, and it did feature lotsa lava hazard. Maybe that's why.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yes, I mostly meant the plethora of hazards though. It didn't make the stage unplayable.
There was the occasional safe zones people could step inside when it came to Norfair though when things got too hectic. I doubt something like that could protect players from Ridley in addition to lava, on Pyrosphere.

As for today's photo, people be trying too hard to disconfirm Rids. Silly Miiverse thread.

Morbi

Scavenger
There was the occasional safe zones people could step inside when it came to Norfair though when things got too hectic. I doubt something like that could protect players from Ridley in addition to lava, on Pyrosphere.

As for today's photo, people be trying too hard to disconfirm Rids. Silly Miiverse thread.
I mean to say that Ridley would be scripted to only appear when another hazard has ceased. In Norfair, it wasn't like lava could rise while it was raining lava. Or you couldn't have a wall of lava right before the wave. If Pyrosphere had two hazards, they wouldn't necessarily have to occur at the same time.

Top Bottom