• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I wonder what Ridley would look like in Metroid Prime 4... Omega-Mecha-Meta-Ridley?
As long as they stop rehashing Meta Ridley I'm fine. Maybe just make him regular Ridley? I mean, aside from Brawl we haven't had a true 3D version of the regular Ridley design.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Generally don't count Dyna Blade Ridley, but yeah. That's basically what I was saying otherwise.

Rehashing Meta-Ridley I'm actually fine with too though as long as they do it better than they did in Prime 3.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, I think that a normal Ridley would be preferable. But I'm definitely not against Meta-Ridley either. Though I'm not huge on the Other M design. I don't hate it, but I just can't stand his weird beak. It doesn't look right. Too much duck, not enough dragon. Still, other than that, I can tolerate that design just fine.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Don't worry; the duck design is only Team Ninja's doing. From what we've seen of Retro's previous work with Metroid, they would never go that design route with him.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I always preferred Meta Ridley. Samus has a metal suit thing so Ridley having metal augments levels the playing field a bit. =3

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm surprised they didn't put a big ol' pair of jugs on him.

Although apparently, if I'm looking at her right, Mother Brain's Chicken Form got a pair of ****.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Even the Biosphere or Cryosphere would've been better (or more fresh) stages than Pyrosphere honestly IMO, regardless of what's more memorable to one.

You reckon a handheld stage might be something from MPH? Alinos (the lava planet) confirmed.
Awww naww another lava stage for chozo gods sake, but if we get another lava stage that would be Sakura's logic to the limit.
It's hard to stop looking at your avi btw.

loving the sig cardigan

and welshy, I'm sure by then we'd just have zombie Ridley. Omega-Mecha-Meta-Xparasite-Zombie Ridley
Well thanks!

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
So I have no idea if Ridley will be playable in Smash 4 or not. I'm kinda inclined to think that many people overestimate his chances, but I don't want to get into that. Especially since I really really want him to be playable.

That said, can we all agree here and now that if Ridley misses the boat again, he has a very low likelihood of making it in 5? If not, at what point does he miss the boat so many times that we are forced to conclude that Sakurai just isn't interested in making him playable?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Yeah, I've been on about that once or twice before. If Sakurai doesn't want to take the time to make him playable in this one, he's not getting in, ever.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Keep in mind though Sakurai's not gonna be making games forever, as he himself has repeatedly said with what he's been going through health-wise and everything. Should be interesting to see what Ridley's chances are depending on who takes the mantle on directing Smash next, but that'll be a story for another day I suppose.

@ Cardigan: Thanks... again I guess.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
...huh. I hadn't thought about what Smash Bros. will be like after Sakurai retires.

I feel like either it'll be even better or far worse. I don't see it staying the same.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Keep in mind though Sakurai's not gonna be making games forever, as he himself has repeatedly said with what he's been going through health-wise and everything. Should be interesting to see what Ridley's chances are depending on who takes the mantle on directing Smash next, but that'll be a story for another day I suppose.

@ Cardigan: Thanks... again I guess.
I suspect Nintendo will rope him into doing it every time, if he isn't retired. Seriously, he keeps saying that such and such may be his last, but the Big N gets him back each time. As for health issues, he will recover eventually won't he? Though I do agree we will eventually have a new director, but Sakurai is young yet.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
.... Is that like Sonic.EXE?
No. It's from something that isn't lame. Mega Man EXE. He's the redesigned version of Mega Man from the Megaman Battle Network series on the GBA and Gamecube. The games are pretty good. Worth checking out if you like either RPGs or Mega Man.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
No. It's from something that isn't lame. Mega Man EXE. He's the redesigned version of Mega Man from the Megaman Battle Network series on the GBA and Gamecube. The games are pretty good. Worth checking out if you like either RPGs or Mega Man.
So digital Ridley or demon-possessed Ridley.... tough call. Now I just have to hope my Super Metroid isn't haunted. Imagine walking into the Ceres lab and everything goes static then the screen flashes and everything is covered in blood and Ridley is picking Samus out of his teeth..... and then he faces the screen. Did I just write creepypasta?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
We haven't really seen the pyrosphere fill up with lava so there is still a chance its only in the background. If I recall it never rose above it in the game anyway, I'm wondering of maybe the stages gimmick is something else. Like perhaps the lava vents on the wall will open and close, either lighting the area or shrouding it in darkerness for a short time. There's definitely more to the level then we've seen, even though we have a ton of pictures for it. Kinda sad we know more of the pilot wings stage than we do of this one.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I suspect Nintendo will rope him into doing it every time, if he isn't retired. Seriously, he keeps saying that such and such may be his last, but the Big N gets him back each time. As for health issues, he will recover eventually won't he? Though I do agree we will eventually have a new director, but Sakurai is young yet.
Herpaderpderp. He's actually older than he looks. When he'll retire or if he'll ever recover from his health problems is anyone's guess though, of course.

So digital Ridley or demon-possessed Ridley.... tough call. Now I just have to hope my Super Metroid isn't haunted. Imagine walking into the Ceres lab and everything goes static then the screen flashes and everything is covered in blood and Ridley is picking Samus out of his teeth..... and then he faces the screen. Did I just write creepypasta?
Yeah, you kinda did. Nice though.

@ HylianBigBoss: Fair points, which I guess is why I'm done speculating on Pyrosphere again until we get something else.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
We haven't really seen the pyrosphere fill up with lava so there is still a chance its only in the background. If I recall it never rose above it in the game anyway, I'm wondering of maybe the stages gimmick is something else. Like perhaps the lava vents on the wall will open and close, either lighting the area or shrouding it in darkerness for a short time. There's definitely more to the level then we've seen, even though we have a ton of pictures for it. Kinda sad we know more of the pilot wings stage than we do of this one.
That's actually really clever, it'd be a really different kind of hazard.

Yeah, you kinda did. Nice though.
I need a talented writer to flesh that out... I got myself spooked just thinking about it.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Completely expecting there to be no hazard just to make all of our speculation seem that much stupider.
That's the best kind of speculation. The kind that makes most of us look dumb. Not sure if that's funny or sad. Maybe a mix of both.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Even though it's not Ridley who will determine my future on these boards, I completely empathize with what you long-time fans are saying now, in the wake of being repeatedly let down in terms of your character getting into a Smash game (though it's into a game at all in my case).

Since now seems to be a time for reaffirmation of support, I can say that, even not having touched a Metroid game, Ridley is one of two newcomers for whom I would purchase this game. I don't give a flying falafel if the gameplay is now a combination of that of the two Smash games I already own, I don't care if a handful of veterans are finally being designed competently on the second, third or fourth try (maybe not even then), or if there are a handful of rinky-dink new modes I can try once and never again. It's Ridley and/or K. Rool or bust. Period, paragraph.

In terms of the two having united semi-rival fanbases? At least for me, I see it all as good-natured ribbing, with refreshingly fun rap battles and whatnot instead of the vitriolic crap that goes on between some other characters. Most fans seem to recognize both as great villainous newcomer candidates whose fate in this game holds insight into the other's to some degree.
54535079f53bb70e4d026d129533c649.jpg

Even though it's not Ridley who will determine my future on these boards, I completely empathize with what you long-time fans are saying now, in the wake of being repeatedly let down in terms of your character getting into a Smash game (though it's into a game at all in my case).

Since now seems to be a time for reaffirmation of support, I can say that, even not having touched a Metroid game, Ridley is one of two newcomers for whom I would purchase this game. I don't give a flying falafel if the gameplay is now a combination of that of the two Smash games I already own, I don't care if a handful of veterans are finally being designed competently on the second, third or fourth try (maybe not even then), or if there are a handful of rinky-dink new modes I can try once and never again. It's Ridley and/or K. Rool or bust. Period, paragraph.

In terms of the two having united semi-rival fanbases? At least for me, I see it all as good-natured ribbing, with refreshingly fun rap battles and whatnot instead of the vitriolic crap that goes on between some other characters. Most fans seem to recognize both as great villainous newcomer candidates whose fate in this game holds insight into the other's to some degree.
54535079f53bb70e4d026d129533c649.jpg

I still believe Zero Suit Samus will appear before we finally learn of Ridley's fate. While the contrary possibility always exists, I do think that's what will occur. Sensibly, it's likely any newcomers for an already represented series will not appear until all its veterans have first surfaced.

Doubt it'll be soon either. Next month I predict Diddy Kong followed shortly by our next newcomer, also from the DK series. :o
Same also damn her front and back bumpers in HD Yummmmm!

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm maining Ridley's knee. He's pretty much a top tier character. And he doesn't get screwed by chain grabs.

Nah but seriously, what the topic to go over this time?

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
So guuuys? :D

People have created movesets for their characters, drawn up movesets and other art, and some like or posing 3D models of the characters we want.

...But OUR character thread now adds original music to its repertoire.

I had an idea and composed a victory theme for Ridley, using Rytmik: Rock Edition, a music tool originally released on the Nintendo DSi.

Lower the volume at tad before clicking!
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/o8ee3l8tya3ycyk/Ridley_Win_Theme.mp3

The idea came about that Ridley his own win theme and not the heroic one Samus has (like how Meta Knight gets a rock version of Kirby's victory theme). Initially I thought of a shortened version of his own theme, but that's a bit too prestigious. Now unlike what Meta Knight got, this implements Ridley's theme into the Metroid Item Acquisition Theme. Did what I felt sounded best. I'm not familiar enough with guitars to make it sound any more authentic, but I do trust my musical ear to at least make it sound decent. I think ultimately the Ridley portion is a tad quieter than planned, but I had to call it done at some point to avoid overdoing things. :p

Oh yeah, and excuse the noise at the end. Recording directly from the game to the computer unfortunately does that and I don't know how to reduce it with what I have.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
It sounds a little heroic, but I really like the idea! Although I'm not sure if this would happen considering Ganondorf, Bowser, and Wolf still have the same victory themes as their rivals.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
It sounds a little heroic, but I really like the idea! Although I'm not sure if this would happen considering Ganondorf, Bowser, and Wolf still have the same victory themes as their rivals.
And giving those characters their own themes would be a great step forward.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd like to hear transformation Final Smashes get their own songs. Imagine Giga Bowser with his Melee theme playing whenever he shows up to kick ass. Something similar could happen for Wario, Sonic, and Mega Man. It'd be kind of cool.

If Ridley gets one of these transformations, like Meta Ridley or Omega Ridley, hearing a special remix of his theme would be awesome. But he could have a different Final Smash though.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
IF Ridley were a stage hazard on Pyrosphere, how would he be expected to work? Would he come up from below, attack everyone, and then break out through the hole in the walls like in Other M? Sakurai showed us a tunnel through the very hole Ridley breaks out of during Other M zoomed in for a daily pic; it didn't look like something that was built to fall apart when Ridley burst through it.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Yeah, probably 'cause I unintentionally held back on the grungier guitar portion that was Ridley's theme. I'm pretty sure the part that's making it sound too heroic is the same part I attempted to reduce just before recording. Seems it didn't quite take.

I'll probably make one more recording that makes some adjustments. I probably won't be satisfied still, but that's inevitable. :p

And giving those characters their own themes would be a great step forward.
Well Bowser at least has one up over his fellow villains already:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So guuuys? :D

People have created movesets for their characters, drawn up movesets and other art, and some like or posing 3D models of the characters we want.

...But OUR character thread now adds original music to its repertoire.

I had an idea and composed a victory theme for Ridley, using Rytmik: Rock Edition, a music tool originally released on the Nintendo DSi.

Lower the volume at tad before clicking!
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/o8ee3l8tya3ycyk/Ridley_Win_Theme.mp3

The idea came about that Ridley his own win theme and not the heroic one Samus has (like how Meta Knight gets a rock version of Kirby's victory theme). Initially I thought of a shortened version of his own theme, but that's a bit too prestigious. Now unlike what Meta Knight got, this implements Ridley's theme into the Metroid Item Acquisition Theme. Did what I felt sounded best. I'm not familiar enough with guitars to make it sound any more authentic, but I do trust my musical ear to at least make it sound decent. I think ultimately the Ridley portion is a tad quieter than planned, but I had to call it done at some point to avoid overdoing things. :p

Oh yeah, and excuse the noise at the end. Recording directly from the game to the computer unfortunately does that and I don't know how to reduce it with what I have.
What program did you use to make this?

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
What program did you use to make this?
Specifically it's on the eShop. I also have the original Rytmik music program which has more samples but isn't really music genre specific. Not on the eShop are the Korg DS-10 and DS-10+ synthesizer programs, of which I own both and are very difficult to find at this point. :p

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
IF Ridley were a stage hazard on Pyrosphere, how would he be expected to work? Would he come up from below, attack everyone, and then break out through the hole in the walls like in Other M? Sakurai showed us a tunnel through the very hole Ridley breaks out of during Other M zoomed in for a daily pic; it didn't look like something that was built to fall apart when Ridley burst through it.
I've been watching since day 1 if the Pyrosphere's holes would be fixed. Seeing the holes patched up would convince me Ridley is a hazard. So far though it's as if they are permanently there as just a reminder that an epic battle was once held there between 2 great characters. After all Snake's stage in Brawl would reform after the Metal Gears crashed the place. Of course Ridley could just come through pre made holes. :(

About Pyrosphere having 1 or more stage hazards don't forget we have been shown what looks to be at least one stage hazard that wasn't even part of the source material. Underneath the stage just at the ledges there looks to be some sort of electrical tubes that look dangerous to the player. Maybe I dreamed that up, I'll check to be sure. If you guys are convinced of just 1 hazard per stage(that's not moving) then maybe that's it. Keep hope alive!

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I've been watching since day 1 if the Pyrosphere's holes would be fixed. Seeing the holes patched up would convince me Ridley is a hazard. So far though it's as if they are permanently there as just a reminder that an epic battle was once held there between 2 great characters. After all Snake's stage in Brawl would reform after the Metal Gears crashed the place. Of course Ridley could just come through pre made holes. :(

About Pyrosphere having 1 or more stage hazards don't forget we have been shown what looks to be at least one stage hazard that wasn't even part of the source material. Underneath the stage just at the ledges there looks to be some sort of electrical tubes that look dangerous to the player. Maybe I dreamed that up, I'll check to be sure. If you guys are convinced of just 1 hazard per stage(that's not moving) then maybe that's it. Keep hope alive!
Suddenly I'm reminded why the thread is named what it is.

Top Bottom