• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Sorry for being off-topic, as I’m new to this thread, but the pyrosphere level got me thinking. Many think Ridley will only be a stage hazard this time around, but what if there was a way we could have Ridley as a stage hazard and a playable character? In Subspace we fought Ridley not once, but twice. I imagine this same idea can carry over to Smash 4. One Ridley could be a stage hazard while the other could be playable. I mean, if you had to play as Omega Ridley instead of regular Ridley isn’t that better than no Ridley at all?

Morbi

Scavenger
Sorry for being off-topic, as I’m new to this thread, but the pyrosphere level got me thinking. Many think Ridley will only be a stage hazard this time around, but what if there was a way we could have Ridley as a stage hazard and a playable character? In Subspace we fought Ridley not once, but twice. I imagine this same idea can carry over to Smash 4. One Ridley could be a stage hazard while the other could be playable. I mean, if you had to play as Omega Ridley instead of regular Ridley isn’t that better than no Ridley at all?
That is a valid point, I could see it happening to be perfectly honest. It isn't out of the realm of reason, even if it was, this is Smash we are talking about. It isn't governed by logic or canon.

I am going to name this the "egaddmario" principle.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
got the japense sakurai comment translated by a person who lives down in japan

One piece of information today. Introduction of a new stage. [Metroid Other M] Pyros Fair! Seamus' trauma may also debut....

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Well, if that were to happen, I'd imagine that the "hazard" Ridley would be Meta-Ridley and we'd play as the actual one. Unfortunately, Meta-Ridley has no correlation to the Pyrosphere and him appearing there really wouldn't make much sense.

It seems like a minor issue, but Meta-Ridley and Ridley do differ quite a bit and I feel like we wouldn't get Meta before regular.

Seamus' trauma may also debut....
-gigglesnort-

Samus is actually the female version of the name Seamus (Shay-mus), fun fact.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Though I did find it weird how they designed Other M Ridley with the duckface when Fusion Ridley had the complete opposite.
Guess it goes to show the duckface design was more Team Ninja's doing than it was Sakamoto's...

But yeah, agree on the rest.

It also showed in Zero Mission when he made a robot that looked like him that ended up being the final boss.
And a short cutscene in ZM implying he was piloting and landing the Space Pirate Mothership he was in, and setting off some self-destruct time bomb at the Ceres Station in Super, so he's also smart as to be good with operating mechanical stuff.

He may be a better pilot than Samus for all we know :troll:, not that that would take much I guess with the number of times she's crashed her ships in some way.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Has anyone here considered that if Other M Ridley is a stage hazard, that Super Metroid Ridley is still up for grabs?
You probably have, but it's an interesting thought.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Has anyone here considered that if Other M Ridley is a stage hazard, that Super Metroid Ridley is still up for grabs?
You probably have, but it's an interesting thought.
If Ridley is revealed to be a stage hazard, I'm sure we'll see supporters holding onto that.

And, considering what Toon Link has gone through, it wouldn't be that ridiculous.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just saw someone who said that a generic space pirate should be playable over Ridley because of size.

I died a little inside...

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
That is a valid point, I could see it happening to be perfectly honest. It isn't out of the realm of reason, even if it was, this is Smash we are talking about. It isn't governed by logic or canon.

I am going to name this the "egaddmario" principle.
A principle named after me?! I'm honored!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Just saw someone who said that a generic space pirate should be playable over Ridley because of size.

I died a little inside...
Oh yeah? I've talked to one person who said that not only should a Space Pirate be playable over Ridley, but that Ridley should be its Final Smash.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Am I the only one weirded out by the fact that people would find Ridley more or less interesting as a villain depending on their genitalia?

...Probably? Okay.

I still don't care about the Other M design being used, since if it is, they'll probably make it look better in Smash than it does in Other M itself. And I doubt Sakurai is going to care about "Using the original Ridley" since we've had two different Zeldas and three different Links playable in the Smash Bros. series
It shouldn't matter. He's a freaking dragon. But some people are dead set that somehow being a girl makes you a more unique character in fighting game. Which, might I add, is really dumb. Ridley was always referred to as male in the Metroid games, no need to change that. Y'know for the sake of consistency.

Ridley is Ridley. Him being male has probably literally NEVER come up, ever. His gender is a moot point, just as Samus's was and should be from now on.

And Sakurai, if you do anything to him, get rid of that duckface. Please.

It looks like you could just tear his "beak" right off, like it would snap apart like a fortune cookie. It looks like it has no power behind it, which is ironic considering the design is literally nothing but muscles and spikes and normal Ridley is basically made of toothpicks (though I still obviously prefer original Ridley).
Tell me about it. I can take everything else about the Other M design just fine. 90's Anti-hero spikes? Fine. Ridley being jacked as all hell? Fine. Have his mouth curve upward awkwardly? How about no? It just looked a little too silly.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I just have a question that I'd be interested in knowing the answer to.

IF Ridley ends up a stage hazard on Pyrosphere, and he's by far the best/coolest one in the game, would you guys be able to cope with the fact that he isn't playable? Just picture it:

You're fighting with 3 friends, and then RIDLEY OUTTA ****ING NOWHERE!

He slams down onto the stage, roars, and then sweeps the stage with his claws and tail, doing damage to those he strikes. He ferociously flies away, only to come back again later.

Not only am I interested in the answers, but I'm just trying to give you guys something to think about to in the prospect of him NOT being playable. It's just preparation is all.

I would just feel terrible for all you guys if it ends up happening, because I know all of you guys put a lot of effort into supporting him. Ridley is a great character with a huge fanbase, with tons of potential as a playable character.

However, even the fanbase needs a reality check. Don't discount the fact that the stage hazard possibilities still exist. It's very possible that Sakurai may be a toobigot.

I for one am a complete Ridley supporter, and I am not here to be all depressing and such. I am simply here to give fair warning, as I would hate to come here one day and see a lot of sad fans who weren't prepared. That's all.

Groose

Smash Champion
got the japense sakurai comment translated by a person who lives down in japan

One piece of information today. Introduction of a new stage. [Metroid Other M] Pyros Fair! Samus' trauma may also debut....
WOAH, WOAH, WOAH. Did Sakurai really say that Ridley may DEBUT? I'm sorry, but that wording makes it seem a lot more likely that he'll be playable than a stage hazard...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well one thing is for sure if Ridley is confirmed playable probably more reaction videos than megaman got on youtube
I'd say there would be less. Ridley is popular. But I don't know if he's Mega Man popular. Though the reactions from quite a few people would be funny to say the least.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
WOAH, WOAH, WOAH. Did Sakurai really say that Ridley may DEBUT? I'm sorry, but that wording makes it seem a lot more likely that he'll be playable than a stage hazard...
That quote has been translated, retranslated, untranslated, translated backwards, upside down, left to right, right to left...

Basically all the quote proves is that (as someone else on here so eloquently put it) "a character that is most likely Ridley will make an appearance on this stage in one way or another". Really, the way the English version of the caption reads, it makes it seem like he's 100% definitely a stage hazard. It's something like "An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any moment!", which would really indicate that Ridley's liable to swoop down and jack your **** at any moment while playing the stage.

Either that or the translator knows more than we do and is giving us the biggest ****ing hint ever, and we're all too scared that he's going to be a hazard to see something that's been right in front of us this whole time.

That said, you could have "regular" Ridley playable and Clone Ridley within the same space without it being too offensive, considering it's only circumstance that Roidley was cloned from the dead Ridley's cells. Roidley just as easily could've been created with Ridley still alive.

And with THAT said, this is nothing but wishful thinking and if Ridley's a stage hazard, we're all ****ed straight up the bum, because no matter if he 's the coolest ****ing stage hazard in the world, he's only going to be on that one stage, and even then, said stage will be banned to hell and back in a competetive environment if Ridley does anything too crazy.

So for me, it's playable or bust. With how little interest I have in this game's roster so far, if it were released as-is (with only the characters we know), I sure as hell wouldn't buy it. A Smash is only as good as the characters Smashing in it, in my opinion.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Is Ridley ACTUALLY smart in the games? He does lose to a woman half his size despite being able to fly, breath fire and command thousands of troops.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Is Ridley ACTUALLY smart in the games? He does lose to a woman half his size despite being able to fly, breath fire and command thousands of troops.
Well, at least he loses to a powerful Bounty Hunter with a hi-tech suit. And we all know that Space Pirates are pretty much fodder. So I guess he'd be about as smart as Ganondorf, Bowser, Eggman and Wily are. They still manage to lose even though they should have the advantage.

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
Hmm...Guys, what if when Sakurai said "An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any moment" just a reference to Metroid Other M and has absolutely nothing to do with Smash?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Hmm...Guys, what if when Sakurai said "An enemy from Samus' past may appear at any moment" just a reference to Metroid Other M and has absolutely nothing to do with Smash?
No. That can't be the case. Otherwise all of the deducing that Ridley was a stage hazard would be meaningless. That would be impossible. Wouldn't it? /sarcasm

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one weirded out by the fact that people would find Ridley more or less interesting as a villain depending on their genitalia?

...Probably? Okay.

I still don't care about the Other M design being used, since if it is, they'll probably make it look better in Smash than it does in Other M itself. And I doubt Sakurai is going to care about "Using the original Ridley" since we've had two different Zeldas and three different Links playable in the Smash Bros. series
I really wished I hadn't just been forced to think about the fact of where if or not Ridley had genitals, and what they would look like...
:sick:

Seriously though, it's a goddamn Alien Space Dragon!! Now I want you to go on a tangent of what fictional extraterrestrial beings are like, how they reproduce and what sort of genders they have.... :alien:

Man! This thread have 341 pages, It's like reading a entire encyclopedia...
Also, just to add a little more of chaos...

And...

So... if Ridley get as a playable character, it's for sure that he will have his Other M design?
Probably a cross between them, Perhaps something more functional, cause the bony limbs might make him awkward. I think the bulkier frame from Other M makes him look more like a capable fighter.

The real question is what would Zamus look like?

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I just have a question that I'd be interested in knowing the answer to.

IF Ridley ends up a stage hazard on Pyrosphere, and he's by far the best/coolest one in the game, would you guys be able to cope with the fact that he isn't playable?
I've definitely thought about it before. It's not that different from my feelings of Ridley as a boss. Don't want to have to see him active all the time and reminding me that he isn't playable. Only a stage hazard would be worse because now I would feel compelled to avoid Pyrosphere as often as possible. If anything, I'd rather him be a terrible stage hazard so that nobody wants to be on the stage and it would be easier to be avoid. If he was a great stage hazard, that would even more fuel the concept of actually using him without actually being able to use him!

In short, WILL NEVER WANT.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That's what I've been saying all along. He does that in the Japanese message too, unless people think that Samus is going to be struck by her trauma whenever you play her on that stage. It's not like Sakurai to confirm something without showing off anything in regards to it. Even with the Galaxy stage he wanted to show off both the whole stage and the gravity mechanic at the same time, so he posted two pictures. Furthermore, it'd also be very odd of him to confirm a stage hazard, and then not show it for 5 months, despite it's apparent "confirmation."

It's just not like Sakurai, to confirm something in such an off-hand manner. And make no mistake, the way it's being interpreted from the stage hazard-view comes off as a stage hazard confirmation, the only hint factor it has is that it might be Ridley (which is obvious of course.)

I read it as a Other M reference when I first read it, it didn't hit me at all that it might be related to being a stage hazard until someone pointed it out in this thread.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Just finished watching a speed run of Super Metroid. MAN i need Ridley in my Smash.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Not quite fair to compare 'em to Mewtwo since unlike them it's actually a veteran, but whatever.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
On a much more cheerful topic, since Alts are a very real possibility in this game (although slim), what do you think Ridley's will be? An Other M-ified Meta Ridley? Or standard Ridley with the craziest ****ing proportions ever?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
On a much more cheerful topic, since Alts are a very real possibility in this game (although slim), what do you think Ridley's will be? An Other M-ified Meta Ridley? Or standard Ridley with the craziest ****ing proportions ever?
Depends on whether or not every character is getting alt costumes. For all we know, it might just be a few.

Anyway, I think Ridley would just get Meta and Omega. If he is the Other M incarnation, maybe he'll get one of Super Metroid Ridley.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Of those two choices Buff Meta Ridley. Just because it sounds cool. Though Omega Ridley could work too.

Top Bottom