• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

UltimateWario

Smash Master
More likely than not, but there's the chance that Sakurai realizes that it's not the "definitive" Ridley design and rather goes with the Prime/Super design or simply combines the two.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Unless he has the mindset that we should play as the real Ridley, and not the Ridley clone, then yes, it's going to be the Other M design. I'm fully expecting the Other M design no matter his role, probably a little fixed up to better fit into Smash's environments.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The arms and hands are the first things that spring to mind yeah. Some of the spikes could potentially be dropped too, or just scaled down, in order to avoid mass-clipping in many of his animations. Giving him a pupil would also help characterizing him more during animations, otherwise he'll just look mindless. If they want to give him a good amount of biting attacks they could change his upper jaw too, if only sligthly.

There are a bunch of inherit design problems with the Other M design, but they can make it work.

D

Deleted member

I don't expect any design changes, just graphical like Samus.

So at the very least, Other M Ridley will look "sharper" if I recall Sakurai's most used word correctly.

D

Deleted member

Maybe even more like cutscene Other M Ridley rather than boss fight Other M Ridley.
Or commercial Ridley:

D

Deleted member

I believe I already made a Toy Story joke. :awesome:

Granted, it was in regards to the earlier joking about Ridley being female and becoming raunchy like Miley Cyrus, but still....

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'll admit, Ridley would be more compelling in my eyes if he was female. Don't get me wrong, Ridley's one of my favorite villains of any media but I think it would be interesting given how rarely video games have female villains that aren't stereotypical in character design and personality. That's actually one of things I thought was cool about Mother Brain, especially her Super Metroid incarnation.

D

Deleted member

To each his own; I feel as though Ridley being male, female, or no sex at all wouldn't make a difference to what he is.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Agreed, I don't think him being female would've changed anything about the character vs. him being male. It's still Ridley and gender is not important to his role, it's what he does and what he means to the character.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Considering that every other Metroid main character is female (Samus, Mother Brain and Dark Samus, though I consider Dark Samus genderless since it really is just a suit fused with Metroid Prime) I think it's fine to at least have Ridley be a male.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Am I the only one weirded out by the fact that people would find Ridley more or less interesting as a villain depending on their genitalia?

...Probably? Okay.

I still don't care about the Other M design being used, since if it is, they'll probably make it look better in Smash than it does in Other M itself. And I doubt Sakurai is going to care about "Using the original Ridley" since we've had two different Zeldas and three different Links playable in the Smash Bros. series

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ridley is Ridley. Him being male has probably literally NEVER come up, ever. His gender is a moot point, just as Samus's was and should be from now on.

And Sakurai, if you do anything to him, get rid of that duckface. Please.

It looks like you could just tear his "beak" right off, like it would snap apart like a fortune cookie. It looks like it has no power behind it, which is ironic considering the design is literally nothing but muscles and spikes and normal Ridley is basically made of toothpicks (though I still obviously prefer original Ridley).

Morbi

Scavenger
Ridley is Ridley. Him being male has probably literally NEVER come up, ever. His gender is a moot point, just as Samus's was and should be.

It looks like you could just tear his "beak" right off, like it would snap apart like a fortune cookie. Looks like it has no power behind it, which is ironic considering the design is literally nothing but muscles and spikes and normal Ridley is basically made of toothpicks (though I still obviously prefer original Ridley).
I like the duck-face. It really develops his character in a more unique way, name one other villain with a duck-face. :awesome:

Ridley's gender is relevant? Actually, it probably is. I wouldn't see the same sadistic menace if it was a female. Sorry.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Ridley is Ridley. Him being male has probably literally NEVER come up, ever. His gender is a moot point, just as Samus's was and should be.

It looks like you could just tear his "beak" right off, like it would snap apart like a fortune cookie. Looks like it has no power behind it, which is ironic considering the design is literally nothing but muscles and spikes and normal Ridley is basically made of toothpicks (though I still obviously prefer original Ridley).
I definitely agree about the duckface, that's been bugging me (more proof that Ridley is female, selfies ftw :awesome:).

If Sakurai did include a playable Ridley then, like Marth, he could give him a design composed of different aspects from his multiple appearances (taking the best qualities out of different designs and mashing them together).

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ridley's gender is relevant? Actually, it probably is. I wouldn't see the same sadistic menace if it was a female. Sorry.
Literally nothing would change except his entry on wikis.

But whatever, to each their own.

That face makes Ridley look about as menacing as Woody Woodpecker.

Something that worries me about Roidley being the playable Ridley we get is that he'll just become another Mighty Glacier, just like nearly all of the other playable villains in Smash, instead of becoming an aerial nightmare that's clumsy on the ground.

I'm really afraid we're just going to get Pre-Smash 4 Bowser with multiple jumps (if we get him at all, of which my hopes are plummeting quickly).

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Am I the only one weirded out by the fact that people would find Ridley more or less interesting as a villain depending on their genitalia?
It's more of a matter of how female villains are typically depicted. It's very rare you have female villains whose character design and personality don't revolve around sex appeal, not to mention dragons are almost always male in pop culture.

Morbi

Scavenger
He is super-intelligent, he's just never had a speaking part.

He talks in the e-manga, though, which is canon.
That seems antithetical, I think I would prefer his manga incarnation. We need less generic growling space dragons, and more inteligente articulate master-minds (that also happen to be purple space dragons).

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Actually i believe that the Other M more humanoid like body design could be easier to implement, but yeah it needs some of the mentioned inprovements, but if they choose Other M design, i'm completely sure he'll get the improve, just like Samus.

Don't get my wrong i like more his old design though.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
I don't have that much of a problem with the duckface, it makes him look like a rhamphorynchus (a pterodactyl). And I think the spikes look nice on him. But I do agree he looks better with his classic powerful beak, makes him look ready to rip something in two.

Though I did find it weird how they designed Other M Ridley with the duckface when Fusion Ridley had the complete opposite.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
That seems antithetical, I think I would prefer his manga incarnation. We need less generic growling space dragons, and more inteligente articulate master-minds (that also happen to be purple space dragons).
It'd at least show more intelligence if they gave him an alien language to speak. You don't have to be able to understand it, and they could still throw roars into there, but at least he'd come off as more sentient.

And if they could get the right voice, they could have Samus acquire a translator (although having it damaged by Ridley) that could partially translate Ridley's speech. They could give him some crazy things to say with a nice way to censor more gruesome stuff (of course with us still being able to interpret what he was going to say ;)).

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't have that much of a problem with the duckface, it makes him look like a rhamphorynchus (a pterodactyl). And I think the spikes look nice on him. But I do agree he looks better with his classic powerful beak, makes him look ready to rip something in two.

Though I did find it weird how they designed Other M Ridley with the duckface when Fusion Ridley had the complete opposite.
I like the duck-face because it reminds me of Miley Cyrus.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
He shows intelligence in Other M where he manipulates other creatures while still an infant, basically. And plays dead in his cage so when a scientist comes to check on him, he kills him and escapes.

I don't think he should have a voice, it would probably sound stupid and make him seem less threatening.

majora_787

Smash Hero
He shows intelligence in Other M where he manipulates other creatures while still an infant, basically. And plays dead in his cage so when a scientist comes to check on him, he kills him and escapes.
It also showed in Zero Mission when he made a robot that looked like him that ended up being the final boss.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
They could probably make Ridley show intelligence through gestures when he taunts

Morbi

Scavenger

I don't think he should have a voice, it would probably sound stupid and make him seem less threatening.
Speech is an important application of intelligence though, it is one of the most overt ways to show that your character is coherent. I mean, the impression I interpret from Lucario is that he is the more inteligente life form as he can actually articulate his thoughts. It is what separates us from primates (among a plethora of other things). I mean primates can manipulate people, so if Ridley doesn't even have his own language, as Niko Mar suggested, I can't honestly believe that he is inteligente, I think he is on par with monkeys. The developers are just asking us to take their word on it.

His voice wouldn't be stupid if they got Cumberbatch to be his voice-actor. :troll:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ridley should be able to speak, but not English, especially with how Elitist the Space Pirates are. Learning English to them would be like us trying to learn how to talk to bugs.

Top Bottom