• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

I don't know what shade of red that is, but it's definitely not the same as the cover/render.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
In Super Metroid, Ridley was purple during the prologue part of the game at Ceres Colony, but with his real boss fight of the game in lower Norfair, he appeared to be more red like on the game cover and his renders from Super.

Made me realize how I miss seeing the red Ridley (or Redley) at times, as much as I like purple and all. Might be biased though since red's actually my favorite color.
He's probably going to have a red palette swap if he's playable.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

I don't know what shade of red that is, but it's definitely not the same as the cover/render.
I didn't say it was exactly the same as on the cover/renders. Just said that he's more red-ish there (especially on like the wings) kinda like the cover, compared to earlier in the game anyway, where he's more purple when holding the hatchling.

I guess ultimately though you can blame the lighting of the different backgrounds for his changes in color.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I didn't say it was exactly the same as on the cover/renders. Just said that he's more red-ish there (especially on like the wings) compared to earlier in the game, where he's more purple when holding the hatchling.

I guess ultimately though you can blame the lighting of the different backgrounds for his changes in color.
Yeah, that's lighting. The redder one is in a red light, while this one is in a blue-ish light.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ah, thought so.

Almost forgot. It's kind of a boss cliche, but Ridley also used to turn more and more red when he was close to getting beaten. Don't remember if there were any games he did that in though besides Zero Mission. Still wouldn't mind if he had that kind of effect for Smash when having high damage, in addition to small pieces of the wings chipping off when he's more battle weary. The latter at least needs to happen IMO, for effects' sake.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ah, thought so.

Almost forgot. It's kind of a boss cliche, but Ridley also used to turn more and more red when he was close to getting beaten. Don't remember if there were any games he did that in though besides Zero Mission. Still wouldn't mind if he had that kind of effect for Smash when having high damage, in addition to small pieces of the wings chipping off when he's more battle weary. The latter at least needs to happen IMO, for effects' sake.
That would actually be really cool. And it was a feature that they were planning for Brawl (at least for some characters).

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Ah, thought so.

What Pacack said.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Uh....you can do that in Melee.
...that was my point. Obviously, in Smash Bros, any character can take on somebody like Mewtwo with just as much chance as anyone, despite the fact that Mewtwo (and others; Samus, for instance) would likely completely destroy the majority of the roster with little effort.

If you're saying that Melee is canon, then Mewtwo is the weakest Pokemon and Fox is the strongest Nintendo character there is. :p

D

Deleted member

That was my point, because Smash Bros. throws all canon out the window. Obviously, in Smash Bros, any character can take on somebody like Mewtwo with just as much chance as anyone, despite the fact that Mewtwo would likely completely destroy the majority of the roster with little effort.
Wait, never mind.
I thought you were saying someone along the lines of since the boxart isn't canon, it can't be used in the case of Smash.
I looked at the post you were responding to, and it was asking if the boxart could be counted as canon. And you were saying "no".

My mistake.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I really hope the implement the battle damage mechanic this time around. It was a really cool idea; not sure why they scrapped it. Characters that don't have any sort of equipment or anything could simply get bruises and those red scrapey-looking, pound-sign things that people get in cartoons when they're beat up.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
In Super Metroid, Ridley was purple during the prologue part of the game at Ceres Colony, but with his real boss fight of the game in lower Norfair, he appeared to be more red like on the game cover and his renders from Super.

Made me realize how I miss seeing the red Ridley (or Redley) at times, as much as I like purple and all. Might be biased though since red's actually my favorite color.
I ride on the Purple train with others, but I've always been especially particular to red Ridley. Should he be playable, he HAS to have a red alt. color. If so, IT'S MINE.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Are you saying Ridley needs an afro?

Because I was thinking literally the same thing.
I'm talking about mario and sonic guys next character scale

Oh by the way to all ridley fans i found just the video that prefects a reaction to ridley being confirmed for the fans

(Here's a hint its like everyone who wants ridley to be playable is in the same room and place)

JediLink

Smash Ace
That was meant to follow up the "Metroid Queen's Lair" suggestion. What exactly is logical about having Mother Brain over the metroid queen, by the way?
Mother Brain is more iconic. Simple as that. If we get a boss from the Metroid series, and it's not Ridley, then Mother Brain is pretty much the next-most iconic villain after him. Metroid Queen would probably be next after Mother Brain.

EDIT: We're talking about bosses here and not playable characters, just to be perfectly clear to everyone possibly reading this.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Yeah, let's all be honest here; if Mother Brain could be playable, she probably would've been way before Ridley, just because when you say "Metroid villain" to someone who isn't a big fan, they're either going to say "Mother Brain" or "that purple dragon guy".

EDIT: It's cool how two semi-rival fanbases (ours and K. Rool's) have joined forces (while still poking good-natured fun at one-another sometimes) rather than squabble about who's more deserving. Gives me a ****tton of respect for them.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Even though it's not Ridley who will determine my future on these boards, I completely empathize with what you long-time fans are saying now, in the wake of being repeatedly let down in terms of your character getting into a Smash game (though it's into a game at all in my case).

Since now seems to be a time for reaffirmation of support, I can say that, even not having touched a Metroid game, Ridley is one of two newcomers for whom I would purchase this game. I don't give a flying falafel if the gameplay is now a combination of that of the two Smash games I already own, I don't care if a handful of veterans are finally being designed competently on the second, third or fourth try (maybe not even then), or if there are a handful of rinky-dink new modes I can try once and never again. It's Ridley and/or K. Rool or bust. Period, paragraph.

In terms of the two having united semi-rival fanbases? At least for me, I see it all as good-natured ribbing, with refreshingly fun rap battles and whatnot instead of the vitriolic crap that goes on between some other characters. Most fans seem to recognize both as great villainous newcomer candidates whose fate in this game holds insight into the other's to some degree.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I see the two fanbases as brothers.

Both characters are similar in role and design.

Both have real stupid arguments against them.

Both are from criminally underrepresented series.

The similarities just go on and on.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I look forward to the day when I can play through Classic Mode and hear

"Whoever vesus...Ridley and K. Rool!"

:sadeyes: It'll be beautiful.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Even though it's not Ridley who will determine my future on these boards, I completely empathize with what you long-time fans are saying now, in the wake of being repeatedly let down in terms of your character getting into a Smash game (though it's into a game at all in my case).

Since now seems to be a time for reaffirmation of support, I can say that, even not having touched a Metroid game, Ridley is one of two newcomers for whom I would purchase this game. I don't give a flying falafel if the gameplay is now a combination of that of the two Smash games I already own, I don't care if a handful of veterans are finally being designed competently on the second, third or fourth try (maybe not even then), or if there are a handful of rinky-dink new modes I can try once and never again. It's Ridley and/or K. Rool or bust. Period, paragraph.
Dude, I have seen Metroid fans who were flat out against Ridley just because of the stupid size argument, and instead suggested some random Space Pirate as the next rep. I would be pissed for your sake and for everyone elses if instead of getting King K. Rool, we get a Kremling instead. Should you decide to try out Metroid some day, go for Super Metroid. I repeat, go for Super Metroid. It's dirt cheap on the Virtual Console, and the Metroid Prime games are relatively harder and more expensive to get today.

But yeah, if Ridley doesn't get in, I'll be sorely disappointed. But if the King of Rools makes the cut, then I'll make it a priority to get the 3DS version only.

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Should you decide to try out Metroid some day, go for Super Metroid. I repeat, go for Super Metroid.
That said, pretty much any Metroid besides the one that I'm sure you already know about is a great play. Although...definitely don't start with the first two Metroids. Save those for when you're well-acquainted with 2-D 'Troid.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Even in the scenario that one gets in and the other doesn't, I'm still not going to be fully happy. I'll buy a Wii U and Smash for K. Rool in a heartbeat, but even then, I'd never not feel the gaping hole in the roster where Ridley should be if he's not there. I certainly wouldn't parade around the forums declaring that "the roster is perfect and complete" or "all the important characters are in" in that case. Likewise with Ridley being in and K. Rool not being in, or him being "a boss that recurs in DK's adventure mode in his different personas" like the current 'leakers' love to post. Though, for Ridley fans, at the very least any final roster without Ridley would always be deemed imperfect; considering the number of people out there who only care about getting an additional 'DK' icon in the game, K. Rool doesn't have that luxury.

D

Deleted member

Event Match: Trouble Royalty

Tag-team/2v2 format - Ridley and King K. Rool vs Bowser and King Dedede
no items final foxination
But....Ridley isn't royalty......wouldn't Ganondorf be a better choice?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Even in the scenario that one gets in and the other doesn't, I'm still not going to be fully happy. I'll buy a Wii U and Smash for K. Rool in a heartbeat, but even then, I'd never not feel the gaping hole in the roster where Ridley should be if he's not there. I certainly wouldn't parade around the forums declaring that "the roster is perfect and complete" or "all the important characters are in" in that case. Likewise with Ridley being in and K. Rool not being in, or him being "a boss that recurs in DK's adventure mode in his different personas" like the current 'leakers' love to post. Though, for Ridley fans, at the very least any final roster without Ridley would always be deemed imperfect; considering the number of people out there who only care about getting an additional 'DK' icon in the game, K. Rool doesn't have that luxury.
Right from the release date have I felt that big gaping hole in the Brawl roster. It still makes me a bit pissy to see Samus in the same row as the retro characters as I've expressed quite a few times.

I feel exactly like you but reversed, if Ridley is in I'll of course buy the game in a heartbeat, but without K. Rool there'd still be this big empty feeling. If both are in then it won't get any better imo, I'll have a roster that will satisfy me for the rest of my days.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
2014 is here. Are we mere months away from a confirmed playable Ridley? This is basically 2007 redux at this point. Character confirmations and de-confirmations are happening at a more brisk pace.

I have been waiting longer than anyone in regards to Ridley, and I anxiously await what the future holds with Smash 4. We can only hope Sakurai has finally decided to include him as a playable character this time around.

Sakurai has made his New Year Resolution to have Smash 4 released this year, so I think at the very least we will know the entire roster by November or December this year.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I've been a huge Ridley supporter since pre-brawl (although not vocal about it on forums). The concept of K. Rool being playable didn't hit me until much later. I won't say which I would rather have but if I don't get at least one of the two, I will be incredibly disappointed. I would wager most people on this thread feel the same because most people here post in the K. Rool thread too.

D

Deleted member

Other SSBC Ridley stuffs :

Just a little bit taller, and I'll give all of my approbation.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
If we get to E3 before the game is released and still see no stage hazard Ridley I'm just going to jump in the fully confirmed wagon.

By E3 we should have playable demos and maybe playable Pyrosphere. This last year is going to fly by.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Mother Brain is more iconic. Simple as that. If we get a boss from the Metroid series, and it's not Ridley, then Mother Brain is pretty much the next-most iconic villain after him. Metroid Queen would probably be next after Mother Brain.
That's mostly only because of Super Metroid though. Except Mother Brain sucks, and metroids are cool (as well as simultaneously terrifying and adorable somehow). So iconic or not, that doesn't stop the queen from being a good boss, while also fitting the Other M theme more.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Other M was all about motherhood but it was super subtle.

Therefore, MOTHER Brain would be more appropriate. :troll:

But seriously, I'd much rather see the actually iconic Mother Brain in crazy HD amazing graphics and hear her amazingly intimidating theme remixed than that poopy Xenomorph Metroid Queen.

Top Bottom