• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
A tether recovery isn't really needed for a character like Ridley who'd have multiple jumps and possibly multiple recovery moves anyways. It's usually given to characters with predictable or lackluster recoveries to give them an alternate way of getting back on stage, like Link, Samus and Lucas.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Speaking of being not big enough, how much bigger is Bowser now that he stands upright? He'd have to be at least another half his old height. Maybe they made Bowser stand up so we wouldn't have two hunched-over dragons.

Ridley confirmed.

Haha.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
makes sense, though in the case of metroid, super metroid was rereleased not even a year ago with great sales results (due to how cheap it was) while Other M blew in sales. I mean what's the point in using the game no one played to represent character design.
Well, Other M Samus is a thing, so I'm not sure. We still have some hope because of Fox, Link, Zelda, Marth, etc.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I had a dream where this thread was doing some kind of show in support of Ridley, and it was a really big deal and we got a lot of contributors and it seemed to be pretty successful (dunno how that was measured but whatever). Later on though I was getting flack from a couple people due to my unprofessional behavior during the event because I'm a big goofball, and I was just thinking "all I did was make a thread on the internet how much do you really expect from me."

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I had a dream where this thread was doing some kind of show in support of Ridley, and it was a really big deal and we got a lot of contributors and it seemed to be pretty successful (dunno how that was measured but whatever). Later on though I was getting flack from a couple people due to my unprofessional behavior during the event because I'm a big goofball, and I was just thinking "all I did was make a thread on the internet how much do you really expect from me."
You're in too deep.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
On miiverse, some referred to Ridley as "That purple dinosaur that hardly anyone supports"

UltimateWario

Smash Master
It's pretty easy to lose the Ridley support among all the support for Naruto, Master Chief, Sora, Goku, and Shadow the Hedgehog.

Stay strong, brother. We'll have our day of glory in the hot sun, and we will feast on the blood of our enemies (and their parents). Nothing Ridley enjoys more than a piping hot plate of charred parents.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Speaking of being not big enough, how much bigger is Bowser now that he stands upright? He'd have to be at least another half his old height. Maybe they made Bowser stand up so we wouldn't have two hunched-over dragons.

Ridley confirmed.
Honestly it wouldn't surprise me one bit if some of Bowsers older assets were used for Ridley's core. Old Bowser stands exactly as I would imagine Ridley would and the possibility is there Sakurai decided that one character like that was enough. One thing I imagine happening with Ridley is that if he does make it he will get one of those flying runs. You know like Mewtwo, Charizard and MetaKnight. I don't particularly love that type of run but old Bowser is pretty much set up that way as well, hahaha.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Long as he's fast in the air, him being slow on the ground would be just fine, and make plenty of sense, since he's quite a bit more awkward on his legs than he is on the wing.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think it helps that in the games Ridley personifies the "if he catches/grabs you, you're ****ed" mentality. On the other hand he is kinda known to be the fast/vicious boss in Metroid, so good aerial mobility is probably the best way to show that.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I agree. Ridley is one of few characters for whom "he can do a command grab!" isn't a massive stretch and/or a cop-out for his moveset. In the wake of Brawl, it's become one of his most defining feats, in a way.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's pretty easy to lose the Ridley support among all the support for Naruto, Master Chief, Sora, Goku, and Shadow the Hedgehog.

Stay strong, brother. We'll have our day of glory in the hot sun, and we will feast on the blood of our enemies (and their parents). Nothing Ridley enjoys more than a piping hot plate of charred parents.
I have never seen anyone that legitimately supported any of those characters. Well... maybe Shadow.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I do not intend on risking my life for the sake of science. It isn't happening. :awesome:
True, I cannot look at Miiverse without ordering it by most popular to filter the worst of it out. Otherwise...

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
all yours S's to be capitalized. That's what is expected of you.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

A few moments of silence, besides a few characters fighting on the Pyrosphere stage. Samus is among them, obviously.

11:45.

The screen flashes to the inside of the infamous hole on the first double brass hit. A silhouette streaks by the camera with a woosh.

The screen returns to the Pyrosphere for more generic fighting. With each brass hit, we get another quick look at the shadow.

As the orchestra and Ridley's main theme begins to play, everyone stops fighting as they hear him approach. The camera zooms in on Samus as she readies herself for battle more than the others.

Each brass/chorus hit shows a bigger look at the mighty Space Pirate dragon. In between, we see the characters that were previously fighting looking worried and somewhat frightened; Samus, however, holds her ground, even taking a few steps forward. The music slowly rises in intensity, until the electric guitar subtly joins, and the glimpses at the winged horror become longer and longer.

With the scream at 12:23, Ridley explodes into the main Pyrosphere area, roaring at the screen as plasma blazes out of his mouth and the usual introduction screen comes up, saying "Ridley Finally Joins the Fight!"

The rest of the trailer is Ridley kicking tons of ass all over the rest of the cast as the music rises in intensity. The final clip is of him picking Samus up with his command grab, flying into the air, and tossing her off the stage. When the music cuts, we see Ridley's eyes, burning in the darkness; the flames become the Smash Bros. for WiiU/3DS logo, and the release date is revealed just below it, along with the systems and whatnot.

-pants ruined-

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
"Ridley is Ready to Fight and is Somewhat Larger than Other Fighters!"

I'm assuming that Sakurai isn't privy to the "too big" joke, but if he is and acknowledges it, I'd gladly **** myself.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In Ridley's reveal trailer, do you think he'd get his theme in its Brawl version, his theme in its Other M version, or a whole new remix for Smash? I've been wondering this about Ridley and a certain other villain of, ah, interest to me.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
In Ridley's reveal trailer, do you think he'd get his theme in its Brawl version, his theme in its Other M version, or a whole new remix for Smash? I've been wondering this about Ridley and a certain other villain of, ah, interest to me.
Either the Other M theme or new remix would be my guess, not sure about the other villain though.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Oh, forgot to mention, I wonder this partly because, on the 3DS gameplay segment of Sakurai's Developer Direct, we hear the music that's playing on Battlefield, and it's a port of Brawl's Melee Menu theme. The vast majority of music in this game thus far is ported, actually, so it'll be interesting to see whether any of the newcomers get remixes made in their honor.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'd imagine that the music probably just wasn't finished at that point or something.

Music is probably just as much a priority in 4 as it was in Brawl.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
If Sonic/Rosalina's trailers are any indicator, they probably will just rip some music from the character's games that will probably be in the final games. For this reason I would hope they use the Final Mission resolve theme from Other M, as I'm hoping ridley's theme does get another remix, rather than them just re-using the Other M/Brawl version.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I just noticed two of you guys have animated avatars... :O

First person to have an animated Ridley avatar gets a cookie!
Have plenty of Ridley gif's in my photobucket that I could prolly use as an avatar, whether it be sprite stuff, gif's from cutscenes he's in, or whatever, but don't really feel like it at this time (have used 'em plenty enough in the past as it is), nor am I in the mood for cookies right now, though thanks anyway. :p

Since we're on the subject of soundtracks now, I wonder what attention the Prime trilogy will get this time as far as that. Brawl had Meta-Ridley's theme taken straight from Prime 1, so maybe Smash 4 will bring that back and/or have something like have Omega Ridley's theme or some remix of it (have actually heard some remixes of Omega's theme that sound better than the original), or themes like Rundas's, SkyTown's, or something.

... Assuming Other M isn't the only Metroid related thing that SSB4/5 caters to.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I wouldn't mind a direct rip of the Other M theme, it's one of the best renditions of the theme, if not the best.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well, that depends on what stages will be offered for the series. If we're just getting Pyrosphere like what happened with Star Fox and Lylat Cruise, then the pickings will probably be limited and we won't get much. If we're getting another stage like with Brawl's, Prime 3 would be my guess for the inspiration as one of those areas would bring something different over the currently known ones or we'll just get Bryyo because of lava and thus we would get a lot more choices from Prime to use for music.

As for which ones they'd pick, I think provided Other M's version is used, Meta or Omega Ridley's work as a secondary while still being good choices for remixes or straight rips. Other themes like Rundus' and Dark Samus' are also good choices for that as well.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
so what do u think of are space pirates chances putting biased aside? I am worried about sakurai either only worries about japan popularity the most ( considering he seems to only honor japan special dates) or he just does not like him so his personal bias is keeping him out. It just seems strange such a high demanded character that is very important to the metroid series keeps getting overlooked.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Sakurai didn't like Ridley he wouldn't even be a boss, let alone twice.

Also, he stated that Sonic was added mainly because of western demand. Ike isn't too hot in Japan either. We aren't getting ignored. It's also fair enough that Ridley wasn't present in Brawl I suppose, considering he isn't as important as many of the characters added in there, like Wario, Diddy Kong, Dedede, etc.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
For fun I compared the size difference between Link & Ganondorf Smash size and their size in Zelda games.
Found out that Ganondorf is shrunk by about 25% for smash.
Ridley's Size when shrunk 25%:
RidSize.png

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah I dunno how Sakurai could expect to market this kind of game very well around the world if he made every character choice exclusively off Japanese popularity.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well, that depends on what stages will be offered for the series. If we're just getting Pyrosphere like what happened with Star Fox and Lylat Cruise, then the pickings will probably be limited and we won't get much. If we're getting another stage like with Brawl's, Prime 3 would be my guess for the inspiration as one of those areas would bring something different over the currently known ones or we'll just get Bryyo because of lava and thus we would get a lot more choices from Prime to use for music.

As for which ones they'd pick, I think provided Other M's version is used, Meta or Omega Ridley's work as a secondary while still being good choices for remixes or straight rips. Other themes like Rundus' and Dark Samus' are also good choices for that as well.
lol Since you kinda brought up Bryyo (which has fuel gel, not lava, though is just as dangerous), the Pirate Homeworld would also be pretty viable as a hazardous stage with the acid rain, not to mention it'd be another stage to complement Ridley (in addition to Norfair and Pyrosphere), since Ridley became the Leviathan guardian of that planet. SkyTown (and maybe Norion) would be the most unique planet from Prime 3 as a stage though, but that might be hoping for a bit too much, like how I was all hopeful for a Phendrana Drifts stage pre-Brawl.

And yeah, some of the Prime 3 tracks (Rundas, Dark Samus, Omega Ridley, etc.) are ones that could be added regardless of what other stages we get.

If Sakurai didn't like Ridley he wouldn't even be a boss, let alone twice.

Also, he stated that Sonic was added mainly because of western demand. Ike isn't too hot in Japan either. We aren't getting ignored. It's also fair enough that Ridley wasn't present in Brawl I suppose, considering he isn't as important as many of the characters added in there, like Wario, Diddy Kong, Dedede, etc.
What do you mean when you say Ridley's not as important as those characters? He's as significant & recurring to Metroid as those mentioned characters are to their series (not to mention Ridley's been around longer than some of them).

If you mean he's not as iconic as those examples then I agree, but not as important is kinda subjective.

Last edited:
Top Bottom