• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What do you mean when you say Ridley's not as important as those characters? He's as significant & recurring to Metroid as those mentioned characters are to their series (not to mention Ridley's been around longer than some of them).

If you mean he's not as iconic as those examples then I agree, but not as important is kinda subjective.
I mean important as in the general Nintendo spectrum.

Wario is a mascot of his own series. Diddy Kong is a reoccuring playable character. Dedede has only ever missed out on one game in a series that's bigger than Metroid and generally always plays a major role. Pokémon Trainer is the playable character in Pokémon and has mother****ing Charizard. Olimar is the main character in a big franchise that wasn't represented in Smash Bros. yet. Sonic was the king of all things fan-related, etc. There were also other all-star additions like Wolf and Toon Link who might not have been as important as Ridley either, but they filled a role as last minute clones. I guess Sakurai felt like there were enough all-star characters on the roster at that point, and then further decided to add some more obscure characters like ZSS, Lucas, Pit, R.O.B and Snake, and even then all of those are the main characters in their series/game with the exception of R.O.B. I still think ZSS is a pretty cheap character though, but I'm gonna leave that be.

Ike and Lucario are kind of iffy, but Fire Emblem and Pokémon are pretty seperated from the other franchises as they largely hinge on promotional value and Sakurai doesn't choose the characters himself, but the respective companies do, all he does is ask the companies what character from the franchise they want in, so they're more likely classified simply as Pokémon newcomer and Fire Emblem newcomer.

Meta Knight is actually quite comparable to Ridley since he's usually the second to last boss, is Kirby's rival (that's what Sakurai calls him on the Brawl Dojo at least), and doesn't have a perfect attendance rate but still a very good one. Meta Knight had more requests though, so obviously he'd win over Ridley.

I think that covers all Brawl newcomers. I can see why the majority of them made it in over Ridley honestly, even if I wouldn't have minded to have Ridley in instead of ZSS they're pretty different in that Ridley is a much more difficult character to design, and they already had a lot of tough character to deal with like Olimar and Pokémon Trainer, and like I mentioned earlier Sakurai probably felt like the all-star part of the roster was big enough already.

Who thinks that ridley is really going to be in the game?
*Raises hand*

Last edited:

Megazero64

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind a direct rip of the Other M theme, it's one of the best renditions of the theme, if not the best.
Hey wario I just realized something, have you ever noticed how when a great series has a bad game it's always the music that stands out from the rest. I mean look at sonic 06, the game was crap but the music was incredible.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Wario is a mascot of his own series. Diddy Kong is a reoccuring playable character. Dedede has only ever missed out on one game in a series that's bigger than Metroid and generally always plays a major role. Pokémon Trainer is the playable character in Pokémon and has mother****ing Charizard. Olimar is the main character in a big franchise that wasn't represented in Smash Bros. yet. Sonic was the king of all things fan-related, etc. There were also other all-star additions like Wolf and Toon Link who might not have been as important as Ridley either, but they filled a role as last minute clones. I guess Sakurai felt like there were enough all-star characters on the roster at that point, and then further decided to add some more obscure characters like ZSS, Lucas, Pit, R.O.B and Snake, and even then all of those are the main characters in their series/game with the exception of R.O.B. I still think ZSS is a pretty cheap character though, but I'm gonna leave that be.

Ike and Lucario are kind of iffy, but Fire Emblem and Pokémon are pretty seperated from the other franchises as they largely hinge on promotional value and Sakurai doesn't choose the characters himself, but the respective companies do, all he does is ask the companies what character from the franchise they want in, so they're more likely classified simply as Pokémon newcomer and Fire Emblem newcomer.

Meta Knight is actually quite comparable to Ridley since he's usually the second to last boss, is Kirby's rival (that's what Sakurai calls him on the Brawl Dojo at least), and doesn't have a perfect attendance rate but still a very good one. Meta Knight had more requests though, so obviously he'd win over Ridley.

I think that covers all Brawl newcomers. I can see why the majority of them made it in over Ridley honestly, though I wouldn't have minded to have Ridley in instead of ZSS they're pretty different in that Ridley is a much more difficult character to design, and they already had a lot of tough character to deal with like Olimar and Pokémon Trainer, and like I mentioned earlier Sakurai probably felt like the all-star part of the roster was big enough already.
Ah, now I see where you're coming from. But yeah, this is why I kinda said importance is subjective. Agree though of course on the ones mentioned that are more significant than Ridley to Nintendo's history.

Kinda imagined Ridley being comparable to Dedede as far as villain roles, but I guess Meta Knight would be more accurate with what you pointed out. Doesn't Ridley have a better attendance rate as a villain than Ganondorf though? (ironically)

And what do you mean when you say that ZSS is cheap? Regardless, I doubt Sakurai's gonna deal with as many characters that are tough to design this time like Pokemon Trainer, so that may bode well for Ridley.

Hey wario I just realized something, have you ever noticed how when a great series has a bad game it's always the music that stands out from the rest. I mean look at sonic 06, the game was crap but the music was incredible.
Though the question wasn't directed at me, I kinda always noticed this too. Other M doesn't have that many notable tracks outside the Ridley theme though, but it does have some.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Eh, those things usually go hand in hand. A video game soundtrack becomes so much more memorable if you have a good experience playing the game too. The only track I really enjoy from Other M is the Ridley theme actually.

Ah, now I see where you're coming from. But yeah, this is why I kinda said importance is subjective. Agree though of course on the ones mentioned that are more significant than Ridley to Nintendo's history.

Kinda imagined Ridley being comparable to Dedede as far as villain roles, but I guess Meta Knight would be more accurate with what you pointed out. Doesn't Ridley have a better attendance rate as a villain than Ganondorf though? (ironically)

And what do you mean when you say that ZSS is cheap? Regardless, I doubt Sakurai's gonna deal with as many characters that are tough to design this time like Pokemon Trainer, so that may bode well for Ridley.
Ridley does have a better attendance rate than Ganondorf yeah, though it can be argued that everytime Ganondorf is present he makes an incredibly big impression on you, where as Ridley has a tendency to mostly just scream and attack. There are of course exceptions to this in Ridley's case, the Prime games being the best examples.

As for the ZSS part, don't mind it, it's just me being butthurt.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591

I think that covers all Brawl newcomers. I can see why the majority of them made it in over Ridley honestly, though I wouldn't have minded to have Ridley in instead of ZSS they're pretty different in that Ridley is a much more difficult character to design, and they already had a lot of tough character to deal with like Olimar and Pokémon Trainer, and like I mentioned earlier Sakurai probably felt like the all-star part of the roster was big enough already.

*Raises hand*
there be really no reason he should miss this on though

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It'd be interesting to see where Ridley would measure in such a comparison. Charizard comes off as pretty tall because of his wingspan. Ridley would likely end up looking like the character who'd take up the most space, though of course the wings would expand outwards, so he might not necessarily have the biggest hitbox.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Someone needs to shoehorn a good Ridley in to that lineup; more weapons in the war against "The Size Accusation" are always appreciated.

I'm really hoping that we get a Prime 3 (or 2) stage in Smash 4. The worlds and tropes in Prime 3 (and in Prime, overall) are so diverse and beautiful. It's extremely annoying that out of all the cool places in Metroid, we keep getting "rising lava stage". When we finally get a non-fire Metroid stage, it's just "dark facility". The Metroid world can be beautiful and mysterious, just as well as it can be intimidating and dangerous.

We've got Torvus Bog, Temple Grounds, Phendrana Drifts, Chozo Ruins, Skytown, Pirate Homeworld, Norion, Phaaze, Sanctuary, the Ing Hive, the Impact Crater, the Sky Temple, the Valhalla, the list goes on, and that's from the Prime series alone. Not a single one of those contains lava, and they all offer something different from the usual Metroid stage fare. You gotta admit that seeing Skytown in amazing HD, with sweeping clouds, floating cities, and maintenance robots flying about would be an absolute treat.

The same could be said of really any of the Prime Trilogy's locales, instead of just picking caves from the classic games over and over again.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
lol Since you kinda brought up Bryyo (which has fuel gel, not lava, though is just as dangerous), the Pirate Homeworld would also be pretty viable as a hazardous stage with the acid rain, not to mention it'd be another stage to complement Ridley (in addition to Norfair and Pyrosphere), since Ridley became the Leviathan guardian of that planet. SkyTown (and maybe Norion) would be the most unique planet from Prime 3 as a stage though, but that might be hoping for a bit too much, like how I was all hopeful for a Phendrana Drifts stage pre-Brawl.

And yeah, some of the Prime 3 tracks (Rundas, Dark Samus, Omega Ridley, etc.) are ones that could be added regardless of what other stages we get.
It's some type of fiery liquid, close enough! :p

Pirate Homeworld could work for those exact reasons, particularly in representing Ridley and the Space Pirates. Plus at least it offers some variety from what's been done before in that you could have Space Pirate hazards, the aforementioned acid rain and the like. Of course, I also would personally prefer Skytown since there are many more unique things that they can do for that stage and gives some more variety to the series' representation in that area but yeah, our luck isn't exactly the greatest with that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm really hoping that we get a Prime 3 (or 2) stage in Smash 4. The worlds and tropes in Prime 3 (and in Prime, overall) are so diverse and beautiful. It's extremely annoying that out of all the cool places in Metroid, we keep getting "rising lava stage". When we finally get a non-fire Metroid stage, it's just "dark facility". Metroid can be beautiful and mysterious, just as well as it can be intimidating and dangerous.

We've got Torvus Bog, Temple Grounds, Phendrana Drifts, Chozo Ruins, Skytown, Pirate Homeworld, Norion, Phaaze, Sanctuary, the Ing Hive, the Impact Crater, the Sky Temple, the Valhalla, the list goes on, and that's from the Prime series alone. Not a single one of those contains lava, and they all offer something different from the usual Metroid stage fare. You gotta admit that seeing Skytown in amazing HD, with sweeping clouds, floating cities, and maintenance robots flying about would be an absolute treat.

The same could be said of really any of the Prime Trilogy's locales, instead of just picking caves from the classic games over and over again.
I don't know, I think Frigate Orpheon was pretty cool, mostly because of the Parasite Queen though. It would have been cooler if it attacked the stage with its breath attack.

I wouldn't mind a Echoes stage actually, Sanctuary, Torvus Bog and Agon Wastes could all be pretty cool. Though of course if any Prime game gets a stage it's probably going to be Corruption, and as long as we keep away from Bryyo and Galactic Federation stuff I'm fine with it.

I guess we can expect a Hunters, Zero Mission or Fusion stage for the 3DS too. I'd really like a Fusion stage actually, it's always felt like the underdog of the main games.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Oh, ****, I forgot the 3DS would be getting a handheld stage.

>inb4 Zero Mission reskin of Brinstar

Something from Fusion would be cool, but the only place I can think of off the top of my head that would be cool would be the room where you fight the Omega Metroid. What was that, the pod bay?

You know...a location from SR-388 would be cool, even if it would end up just being another "rising lava" stage. Maybe a Metroid Egg Chamber?

Last edited:

Ascended

Smash Ace
Oh, ****, I forgot the 3DS would be getting a handheld stage.

>inb4 Zero Mission reskin of Brinstar

Something from Fusion would be cool, but the only place I can think of off the top of my head that would be cool would be the room where you fight the Omega Metroid. What was that, the pod bay?

You know...a location from SR-388 would be cool, even if it would end up just being another "rising lava" stage. Maybe a Metroid Egg Chamber?
Metroid Queen's Lair or bust.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Here is the trailer.

A shot of the pyrosphere is shown, and then out of the hole, we see Ridley fly out real quick. It cuts to Samus, Link, Pit, and Bowser duking it out on a new Metroid 3DS Stage, lets say Norfair. Ridley swoops down and roars at Bowser, only to realize he is only a head taller than him. Seeing how Bowser is not cowering in fear or stepping back like the rest of the characters, he takes Bowser and tosses him into the Lava.

*cue Battle montage of Ridley*

The End Joke shows Dry Bowser as an alternate costume, and a mini mushroom is used on Ridley.

The caption is Ridley sizes up the Competition.

majora_787

Smash Hero
If not Ridley, then Mother Brain seems like the next-most logical choice.
And all of the Ridley supporters can go "BUT SHE'S WAY TOO BIG" considering she's even bigger than he is. :p It's bound to happen. Especially on Gamefaqs.

D

Deleted member

I am going to put my reputation on the line to say this.

Ridley will be playable in Super Smash Bros. 3DS & Wii U

I pick Ridley for the character I risk my reputation on for various reasons (aside from the fact that I feel like taking a risk).

One is that Ridley has been one of the most prominent characters in discussions for potential SSB characters; he has been a popular request ever since pre-Melee and has been among the most wanted since pre-Brawl. Now the fourth most wanted character (counting the already confirmed Mega Man), Ridley has been a big part of the SSB speculation scene for a long time. After all, R.I.D.L.E.Y. is one of the most notorious groups of Smash fan bases that had ever been created and Ridley is a very heated topic himself to this day. We haven't achieved 13K+ posts for no reason, y'know?

Secondly, it is because I believe that Ridley will be playable in the game. While he's not Mewtwo-level of super obvious shoe-in, I feel confident enough that with all the things going for Ridley, that Sakurai will finally make him playable in this game. It has been a long wait for Ridley supporters, but I think that it will finally come to an end on a good note and since I believe that it is now or never for Ridley, I feel that a risky bet is worth it. Beside, I've always seen Ridley as more likely than Mega Man and he's in, so why not?

If I am wrong, I will reveal a very dark secret that will shock everyone. The only hint that I will give is that it is not Ridley or Pikmin-related. Otherwise, I am keeping you entirely in the dark here. I am not afraid to tell it should Ridley be disconfirmed (the only condition is that Ridley is not playable in SSB 3DS & Wii U). If Ridley is in as a playable character, I will come back to celebrate with all of you when the longest fight for a character is finally over.

And with this I fly away from Smashboards. It has been fantastic (if sometimes frustrating) to be part of this forum and one that I will never forget going into the future. This will be my last post on this forum until we learn of Ridley's fate. For now, I have other things I wish to accomplish in my life and for the moment, it is time to put video game forums behind. So, might as well leave with an interesting post.

Make sure to hold me to this. By that I mean if I were to somehow come back, remind me of this post and I will again leave. And if Ridley does get disconfirmed, make sure to remind me of what I will reveal on that faithful day.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I damn hope you're right. The day we'll learn of Ridley's fate will also drastically change my role on these boards, either I'm isolating myself in the Ridley forum or I'm leaving Smashboards. Ridley was the only reason I participated in pre-Brawl speculation, and he's the only reason I'm here again.

Ironically I've always considered Mega Man a shoe-in despite how much of a mess the franchise has been in the past years, but I'm never 100% certain on Ridley's inclusion, despite how much I argue for his cause. I guess it's a matter of trying to avoid as hard a punch in the gut as I got last time.

Appreciate that you post this kind of post in the Ridley thread, it's inspiring. Stay safe buddy, don't let those measly Bounty Hunters get you, and hopefully we'll see you again on a joyous day.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I can say safely that banding together with other Ridley fans was my primary reason for joining this board. If he's deconfirmed, you'll probably not see me around.

Hopefully it won't come to that. Ridley deserves to be in Smash.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I honestly hope our support is rewarded and he gets in, until then take care SSBF and I look forward to seeing you then.

As for me, I'll probably stick around and contribute but maybe not as much. I'll still get the game regardless though.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
So guys I have a question :

Can we consider this as a canon Ridley size or not ? Cause it seems pretty good to me as Ridley's potential size in SSB4.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Well I ****ed this post up.

Short answer, no. It's boxart and boxart is about as canon as Pikachu being able to fight 1-on-1 with Mewtwo and win. If you wanna use Super Metroid, just use his size within the game itself (which I believe is actually a bit smaller than what we want for Smash, although I'm not sure).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
A bold move. Who cares about reputation though? Even if Ridley's deconfirmed again, not like those of us here that are your friends will think any less of you, SSBF. Well, see ya around. Have a good one.

After Brawl and what Sakurai said about Ridley in that NP interview I was initially reluctant about even bothering to show support for Ridley in Smash ever again, until the likes of Oasis and Phaazoid talked me into it... Won't regret it either if Ridley happens to be something other than playable again. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

Though this thread was like my main purpose for returning here at first last year, I'm glad I eventually branched out more on other parts of the site and getting to know some of the current and past users more (unlike my pre-Brawl self), as well as being as much a part of other threads as with this one. I'll still be on the forums awhile regardless of what happens with Rids, but if he's deconfirmed again, it'll be a sad day to see some of y'all go (Wariofan and the like). At the very least I plan to try to stick around here after SSB4's release longer than I did with post-Brawl, and play the game with most of you guys...

As for the Super Metroid box cover, the difference in size with Samus and Ridley there seems to be about the same as with their sprites in said game, so yeah. Until the game is retconned by a remake or something like the original Metroid was by Zero Mission, it can always be considered a canon source for Ridley's size.

D

Deleted member

Well I ****ed this post up.

Short answer, no. It's boxart and boxart is about as canon as Pikachu being able to fight 1-on-1 with Mewtwo and win. If you wanna use Super Metroid, just use his size within the game itself (which I believe is actually a bit smaller than what we want for Smash, although I'm not sure).
Uh....you can do that in Melee.
Find a better example.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
In Super Metroid, Ridley was purple during the prologue part of the game at Ceres Colony, but with his real boss fight of the game in lower Norfair, he appeared to be more red like on the game cover and his renders from Super.

Made me realize how I miss seeing the red Ridley (or Redley) at times, as much as I like purple and all. Might be biased though since red's actually my favorite color.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
The way I see it, Ridley is a work of fiction. It doesn't matter what has happened in canon before, because it can always be changed. What's that you say? Jigglypuff's been Normal type for five generations straight? Not anymore. As long as a change makes something better, there's no need to stay consistent with the past.

So, as a work of fiction, if Ridley's normally 'too big' to be playable, then just stop making him too big. It's not that hard.

If not Ridley, then Mother Brain seems like the next-most logical choice.
That was meant to follow up the "Metroid Queen's Lair" suggestion. What exactly is logical about having Mother Brain over the metroid queen, by the way?

Top Bottom