• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

UltimateWario

Smash Master
GodDAMN, the hands, look at those ****ing hands. He looks way too humanoid. WAY too humanoid. I want to play as Ridley, not Ganon with a Ridley suit on, holy damn. Also, Spikes of Villainy almost always look terrible. Other Ridley is no exception. And Sweet Jesus Jumping Christ, his mouth in the in-game pic. It opens all the way to next week!

It's like PsychoIncarnate said, this looks less like Ridley and more like "Michael Bay Presents: Ridley".

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
You know, I'm sure someone has mentioned this before, but I think Pyrosphere increases Ridley's shot at being playable. Why?

Because Sakurai makes a vague reference to him and Samus fighting on this stage without mentioning him by name, showing a screenshot of him as a stage hazard, or providing any other information. Why would he do that except if Ridley is set to make his playable appearance on that stage in say, a future nintendo direct? What does he have to achieve by teasing us like that if Ridley is just going to be part of the stage? Wouldn't he want to reveal Ridley in the background to avoid getting people's hopes up only to crush them? And why wouldn't he mention Ridley by name...unless to build suspense for a formal reveal?

I'm starting to think Pyrosphere is a hint that Ridley is in...
Optimism like this does my heart good.

At first I wondered if Sakurai likes to toy with the fans. At first thought most anyone would think "no way" because this man is a professional who has grown a$$ work to do. Then you think about how he sets up the characters in the pic of the day, made to do all sorts of quirky things with the captions he gives. Then you add to that posts like the one that came on Pokemon X and Y's release. He and his team are probably having a heck of a time reading our responses, arguments and theories.

I mean if there was one character to use that would rattle cages it would be Ridley. Who else causes so much controversy? There is no way he isn't aware of it either, especially after his follow up pyrosphere pics like "you can't tell but this hole is really huge!" Sakurai has blatantly hinted at Ridley but I think there is a good chance it's all purposely misleading to make people believe he'll be the new Kraid.

Of course when Sakurai revealed Norfair he did say "but where is Ridley?" Only to give us a boss later. But with that instance the only build up before that statement was Ridley's theme(or vice versa). Not like what's going on now. I would like to think that if he was a hazard he would have been given some sort of reveal by now like just about every other gimmick and stage hazard known so far.

As for being a boss again it just seems to me, like the old semi bosses, Metal Mario, and Giga Bowser who got a step up in the following games, Boss Ridley isn't something Sakurai would want to reuse again in the exact same way for a 3rd time. Of course this is all just my personal speculation and conspiracy theories. But bottom line I think there is a good chance for playable Ridley.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think there's a time in every Japanese game developer's life that he has to face the music and make Ridley playable. I don't want to resort to this argument, but really, "Why the **** not, man?". He really has no reason. He knows how insanely popular Ridley is in the West. He'd have to. He knows that people want him, and have wanted him. He's even acknowledged that he'd be possible, with some work.

I'm sure there was a time when he would've said "Ice Climbers? Haha, that'd be pretty impossible, I think. You couldn't possible control two characters at once!" or even "Pokemon Trainer? Are you kidding? That's three characters on one slot!". Let's all be completely honest with ourselves here. There is no reason in hell beyond A. blind stupidity or B. complete, childish stubbornness that Ridley can't be in this game. His size isn't an issue. It never was. He can be the new biggest character, even sized-down, because really, Bowser's not that huge, and neither is Ridley if you disregard his wings and tail (which don't necessarily have to have hitboxes and both can be curled up until use). Yes, he's huge in the Prime games. But really, in most of his 2-D appearances, he's not that much bigger than Samus (save Fusion, who wasn't even the actual Ridley) and it wouldn't be a huge stretch to return to that, especially since we're getting centuries-old Megaman and such.

All-in-all, if Ridley doesn't make it into this installment, with all the demand and drama, I think it's time to lose all hope in him. If Sakurai doesn't put him in this one, he's not getting in. End of story.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Zelda actually has a reason for using her Twilight Princess model. Ridley using his Super Metroid design when Samus is using her Other M design wouldn't make sense and would be really strange.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Zelda actually has a reason for using her Twilight Princess model. Ridley using his Super Metroid design when Samus is using her Other M design wouldn't make sense and would be really strange.
Ridley using his Other M design at all would be really strange

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure Zelda used her "generic Zelda" (as Link is "generic Link") design because Skyward Sword Zelda doesn't really look like Zelda.

Just as Ridley should use his "actually ****ing Ridley" design because Other M Ridley doesn't really look like Ridley.

Other M Ridley isn't the end of the world. I just want to play as THE Ridley. Not Roidley.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How so? It's not the most popular admittedly, but neither was Samus' going in, there's really no reason why it shouldn't use it when the main character of the series and the main stage draw heavily from it.
It looks satirical in design

Other M Samus more or less just looks like an updated samus design. Minor changes,

Other M Ridley, on the other hand, changes everything about the character.

Not to mention Other M Ridley is a different character

Welshy91

Smash Ace

Other M Samus more or less just looks like an updated samus design. Minor changes,

I was merely going to like your post but that isn't enough. Thank you for saying what I've been trying to say since my very first post.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Personal opinion has no effect on what will or will not be used, and before you place popularity of design on me, again, Samus' wasn't that well received either and you can make an argument for Fox's current design as well.

And that changes the reception of her design how? It still wasn't that popular and is complained about, minor changes or not.

And the Link used in Brawl was a different Link from Melee's, same with Zelda. Just because the character's different in incarnation doesn't mean it won't be used. Regardless, Smash is loose on canon and there's nothing stopping them from using the most recent incarnation of design for the character at hand.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They can use whatever the hell they want to

Doesn't mean we have to support their decision.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Course not, and I'm not saying otherwise. I understand if you don't like that design, I just don't think the reasons given are going to keep them from using it.
His body would move significantly different with Other M design than his normal design.

It'd pretty much be a completely different character

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I don't know just because samus is other M and the stage is other m doesn't mean ridley is other m.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
His body would move significantly different with Other M design than his normal design.

It'd pretty much be a completely different character
It's still a pterodactyl dragon that breathes fireballs and stalks Samus because of their relationship, adding some spikes and slight bulk doesn't remove that essence. Really, it's no more inconsistent then the number of design changes the character has undergone beforehand.

Yeah, Ridley could be Metroid 1 Ridley. :troll:

Do you like me now?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's still a pterodactyl dragon that breathes fireballs and stalks Samus because of their relationship, adding some spikes and slight bulk doesn't remove that essence. Really, it's no more inconsistent then the number of design changes the character has undergone beforehand.

Do you like me now?
Not only is it a design change

It literally is a different character than Ridley

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's a clone of Ridley with the same memories, similar attack patterns and personality as far as we've seen, in essence it's the same character despite the lack of a shared birth.
Where does it say it had the same memories>

How do you clone memories?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Where does it say it had the same memories>
It's implied due to the way the clone treats Samus, the Little Birdy scene is probably the big one as it gives her the death stare despite not having any previous interaction with her. There's also scenes like Adolescent Ridley prioritizing her over the other soldiers as soon as he saw her.

How do you clone memories?
In real life, highly unlikely. In media however? You'd be surprised how many clones there are that exhibit that feature despite the real life limitations to such an ability.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
As far as I'm concerned

Other M Ridley is to Mewtwo, what Ridley is to mew

A horribly twisted version of the subject

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Ummm, I'm not a big fan of Metroid or anything but I would like to see Ridley in the game. I personally think his other M design would make scaling look more natural, but I can see his "favorite" design being used.

I found some cool scaling depictions of Ridley although I don't know if they've been posted before (since this thread is like 336 pages :dizzy:). Kinda digging the first one TBH.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Ummm, I'm not a big fan of Metroid or anything but I would like to see Ridley in the game. I personally think his other M design would make scaling look more natural, but I can see his "favorite" design being used.

I found some cool scaling depictions of Ridley although I don't know if they've been posted before (since this thread is like 336 pages :dizzy:). Kinda digging the first one TBH.

lol, I made that one. That's the slightly out of date, I have a more recent one that adds Mario, Olimar and G-dorf to the comparison (which I've already posted before, but hey why not.)

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
lol, I made that one. That's the slightly out of date, I have a more recent one that adds Mario, Olimar and G-dorf to the comparison (which I've already posted before, but hey why not.)
Sweet, and that's a pretty big coincidence lol. I had found your older comparison when looking through a thread on Gamefaqs.

I really like the comparison though, as he just seems to naturally fit in there.

Staarih

Smash Master
This looks really good. I've been following this thread for a while, not commenting much as I'm still not sure how Ridley would fit in a Smash Bros game (and Metroid is not familiar to me so I don't really know what Ridley has to offer), but slowly I've really began to like the idea and actually _want_ Ridley in the game haha. This comparison makes him blend in nicely with the other characters so it could totally work.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Sometimes I wish I could dislike posts for missing the point, but that's fine.

Whenever I see Ganondorf standing next to characters not bigger than him, I find it amusing at how surprisingly short he is compared to Twilight Princess.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Uhmm... If Ridley makes it, what kind of character will it be? Fast? Slow? Close combat? I like the idea of having Ridley, but I can't see how's he going to play?.. What's your opinion?
I would imagine either a slower heavyweight with abnormally long range with fire projectiles, his long tail, and his lanky limbs... Or possibly a heavier aerial-based character.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Sakurai himself has said slow, so slow it is.

I imagine he could be quite fast in air though. But like Majora says, he'd be a heavy weight character who excels when in the air, he'd also have quite the range at his disposal because of fireballs, his tail, wings, etc. We do in fact not have such a heavy character yet, all the current heavy weights are tons better on the ground than in air. If we want him to be really unique he could have an aerial grab, though it'd have to be quite limited.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Maybe. He would most likely have multiple jumps and a glide, but unlike Meta Knight, I doubt all of his special moves would be recovery options. He would probably have a tether recovery, but I don't know how you would animate a tail being a tether recovery.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Eh, there are plenty of other possibilities than giving Ridley a Shuttle Loop knock-off as his recovery move, there's quite an array of different aerial tricks I coult see him perform, maybe in combination with some good ol' fire. Of course Ridley would have multiple jumps and use his wings in the same way as Meta Knight and Charizard, but that's probably the extent of that comparison.

As for a tether recovery: No thanks. Having him dangle by the edge of Final Destination face down would be hilarious, but way too silly.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Too silly, or just silly ENOUGH?

... Okay yeah that's ridiculous. I was thinking more like he could grab to the ledge with his tail and stand awkwardly with his feet on the ledge and his tail stuck into it but it's weird regardless.

Top Bottom