• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Im good man its really nice to know someone missef me or is happy to see im back you have realised how less ''Real'' it feel when im not about huh......

How you been what you been upto?

I need ya 3DS & WiiU details.
View attachment 5770 PS:*This pics too deep....had to post it again.
Hey, it's muh old avatar!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, of course not, because Ridley and Samus would then be shipped to the f'ing moon and back.
Would be? You clearly haven't seen some of the creepy fan-art I have. *JibblyJibblyJibbly* *shudder*

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I don't know how the situation on Ridley is right now.

But for voice i see no one listen to other m that roars from other m and ssbb are just fine for his voice if playable

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Well then, explain to me why Ridley's support thread is one of the largest in this website? He's male. Or better yet, Mega Man who is also male. Before he was confirmed, he was one of the most requested characters in Smash history, with only Sonic beating him out. People probably like Rosalina for a bunch of reasons, not just for being a chick.
Male or Female, the thing with Ridley is that he isn't a human, he's a motha****** fierce Space Dragon!

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm not even going to get into the meme that is hating Other M like it came into your house and sliced your parents' heads off with its disc when you were a young child.

Seriously though. I am pretty sure people like Ridley because he's the cool space dragon antagonist of a cool series that people like, not because of his space dragon genitalia.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I'm not even going to get into the meme that is hating Other M like it came into your house and sliced your parents' heads off with its disc when you were a young child.
Because disliking something has to be because everyone else is doing it, right?? It can't be that it destroyed one of my favorite characters and franchises, that'd be silly.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Also, about our fellow Space Dragon's voice, what about this:

6:23 - Omega Pirate says something like "Finish Her!" but only that, the other noises should be rawrs and roars, and Fusion's pokemon cry.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think it's just that most people are used to listening people go on and on about how bad Other M at this point that people simply grown tired of the converstations about it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think it's just that most people are used to listening people go on and on about how bad Other M at this point that people simply grown tired of the converstations about it.
I'm not going to get into the discussion of what Other M did and didn't do. But basically, it's obnoxious to listen to people sit around and turn Other M into a meme essentially on par with "Arrows to the knee" in terms of being annoying. Especially over things the game didn't actually do wrong, while they ignore the things that it did entirely. It would be like if back in the early days of Wind Waker, I joined everyone in the essential meme that was "Wind Waker iz 2 kiddy" because it had a boat with a face instead of a horse. It would be inaccurate, and obnoxious.

I don't *care* if people don't like Other M. It has problems that are off putting. But I don't particularly enjoy people coming into a thread about Ridley in Super Smash Bros. and facilitating a stupid meme. You may as well spam lolcats, doge, and harlem shake while you're here.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It's not a meme to like or hate on anything, if something has problems that people feel drag it down, they're going to complain about it just as much as they'd praise it to high heaven if they heavily enjoyed it. Attributing personal taste to being a "meme" is ridiculous and makes you look like you're trying to dismiss the genuine like or dislike for the game.

I honestly don't care for Other M's continued argument either, but it's not because it's a "Meme," it's because it's just an argument that has no end at this point and we're getting nowhere with it.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I'm not going to get into the discussion of what Other M did and didn't do. But basically, it's obnoxious to listen to people sit around and turn Other M into a meme essentially on par with "Arrows to the knee" in terms of being annoying. Especially over things the game didn't actually do wrong, while they ignore the things that it did entirely. It would be like if back in the early days of Wind Waker, I joined everyone in the essential meme that was "Wind Waker iz 2 kiddy" because it had a boat with a face instead of a horse. It would be inaccurate, and obnoxious.

I don't *care* if people don't like Other M. It has problems that are off putting. But I don't particularly enjoy people coming into a thread about Ridley in Super Smash Bros. and facilitating a stupid meme. You may as well spam lolcats, doge, and harlem shake while you're here.
Fair enough, I was mostly reference to UltimateWario that brought the subject up in regards to the situation. I never completed Metroid Other M but I hardly have to really given how much it is already beaten on really. I don't know if I would call it a meme more then a overblown converstation that kind of just needs to roll over as there is nothing new to be found. At the same time I don't take offense to the fact that is brought up, I was mostly putting out why it is reacted to the way that it is.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's not a meme to like or hate on anything, if something has problems that people feel drag it down, they're going to complain about it just as much as they'd praise it to high heaven if they heavily enjoyed it. Attributing personal taste to being a "meme" is ridiculous and makes you look like you're trying to dismiss the genuine like or dislike for the game.

I honestly don't care for Other M's continued argument either, but it's not because it's a "Meme," it's because it's just an argument that has no end at this point and we're getting nowhere with it.
If you really want to not read what I said and think I am saying "Disliking Other M is a meme" then you go right ahead. You wouldn't read me correcting you anyway. But that isn't what I'm saying at all. I don't care if people don't like Other M. That isn't what I am talking about. That isn't what I am talking about. That isn't what I am talking about. That isn't what I am talking about. That isn't what I am talking about.

I'm not dismissing people not liking Other M because people not liking Other M is not what I am talking about.

I hope I said it enough times where maybe you accidentally caught a glimpse of it in the midst of your not actually reading what I am saying. NOT LIKING OTHER M IS NOT WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Anyway, I'm not going to contribute to some braindead argument over this. I think Ridley saying brief quips in incomprehensible garbled alien language would be fine since that would basically be fine. As long as they use Bowser's Sunshine voice actor to do it.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If you really want to not read what I said and think I am saying "Disliking Other M is a meme" then you go right ahead. You wouldn't read me correcting you anyway. But that isn't what I'm saying at all. I don't care if people don't like Other M. That isn't what I am talking about. That isn't what I am talking about. That isn't what I am talking about. That isn't what I am talking about. That isn't what I am talking about.
If that's not what you mean, then please clarify because it's easy to misinterpret. If you mean that people are just bandwagoning off of the hate, then I still think you're mistaken as a vast majority I've talked to have at least played or watched the story to some extent. There may be a couple that haven't and are just having fun with it, but those are few and very far in-between. Also, I've seen many more arguments start from just a mere mention of the game over an obvious troll attempt.

The argument is overblown, that much is certain, but it's not a meme in any regard, it's just an argument people refuse to let go.

Anyway, I agree to let this argument end here, personally I'd be fine with that though personally I'd prefer a different voice for Ridley then Sunshine Bowser. Something more sinister would fit better.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
You know, I'm sure someone has mentioned this before, but I think Pyrosphere increases Ridley's shot at being playable. Why?

Because Sakurai makes a vague reference to him and Samus fighting on this stage without mentioning him by name, showing a screenshot of him as a stage hazard, or providing any other information. Why would he do that except if Ridley is set to make his playable appearance on that stage in say, a future nintendo direct? What does he have to achieve by teasing us like that if Ridley is just going to be part of the stage? Wouldn't he want to reveal Ridley in the background to avoid getting people's hopes up only to crush them? And why wouldn't he mention Ridley by name...unless to build suspense for a formal reveal?

I'm starting to think Pyrosphere is a hint that Ridley is in...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You know, I'm sure someone has mentioned this before, but I think Pyrosphere increases Ridley's shot at being playable. Why?

Because Sakurai makes a vague reference to him and Samus fighting on this stage without mentioning him by name, showing a screenshot of him as a stage hazard, or providing any other information. Why would he do that except if Ridley is set to make his playable appearance on that stage in say, a future nintendo direct? What does he have to achieve by teasing us like that if Ridley is just going to be part of the stage? Wouldn't he want to reveal Ridley in the background to avoid getting people's hopes up only to crush them? And why wouldn't he mention Ridley by name...unless to build suspense for a formal reveal?

I'm starting to think Pyrosphere is a hint that Ridley is in...
I like your optimism good sir. I hope that Ridley will be playable.

Seriously though. I am pretty sure people like Ridley because he's the cool space dragon antagonist of a cool series that people like, not because of his space dragon genitalia.
Yeah. That was the point I was trying to make. But I guess I could have done a better job at it.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Honestly, I believe in my heart of hearts that if Ridley were a hazard in the Pyrosphere, Sakurai wouldn't be jerking our ***** like this and just show him. If anything this lack of evidence to him being a stage hazard is evidence TOWARD him being playable, or at the very least not a stage hazard. We've seen the stage a billion times and not a single purple scaly pixel to be seen.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Considering Norfair was labelled as the home of Ridley on the Brawl Dojo I wouldn't call it evidence towards Ridley being playable, but I'm fairly certain that he isn't a stage hazard at least. I'd much rather have him be a boss again instead of a stage hazard, though of course it's playable or eternal sadness in my mind.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Someone in the Ganon thread suggested that this might be of use to you guys. It'd be really cool if one of you guys could render it in Blender or something eventually (pretty please?).

(Concept Art A Link to the Past)

Kamiko

Smash Ace
For some reason whenever size arguments happen here, I forget that picture exists. But as soon as I saw it there, I realised it could probably help us deal with people being dumb.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Despite my confidence that Ridley won't be a stage hazard, I am kind of worried he'll be an assist trophy, or worse, just a trophy. Though at least with a trophy we can beg Sakurai to make him DLC.

plssakurai.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Nothing like expecting and hoping for a character just for Sakurai to go, "Oh him? Yeah, he's an assist trophy, or whatever. You guys wanted more swordsmen, right?".

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Sakurai's interview with Nintendo Power still gives me hope, it shows that Sakurai is aware of people wanting Ridley, and the team could still make him work if they put their mind to it.

Also, your reaction if: Ridley's default look is his Other M appearance, but he has his Brawl, Meta, and Omega appearances as unlockable alternate costumes.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Sakurai's interview with Nintendo Power still gives me hope, it shows that Sakurai is aware of people wanting Ridley, and the team could still make him work if they put their mind to it.

Also, your reaction if: Ridley's default look is his Other M appearance, but he has his Brawl, Meta, and Omega appearances as unlockable alternate costumes.
My reaction would involve some sort of screaming and jumping for joy, probably.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
My primary reaction to Ridley being playable in any form would be gasms of several varieties.

His Other M look would be rather disappointing, but it's still Ridley and I'm confident that Sakurai can make him still look badass (and get rid of that duckmouth).

Then I'd play it, unlock Ridley's alternate costume, and tears would be shed.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think the only evidence there is at this point is that Ridley is in the game in some way, shape, or forme. It makes sense considering Ridley has made appearances across all Smash Bros games (stage cameo, intro cinematic and boss respectively) despite not being playable. The only other character who could boast this was Dedede, and even then he only had a trophy in Melee (and obviously was playable in Brawl, making Ridley have the most NPC appearances going into this game).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think the only evidence there is at this point is that Ridley is in the game in some way, shape, or forme. It makes sense considering Ridley has made appearances across all Smash Bros games (stage cameo, intro cinematic and boss respectively) despite not being playable. The only other character who could boast this was Dedede, and even then he only had a trophy in Melee (and obviously was playable in Brawl, making Ridley have the most NPC appearances going into this game).
Dedede was also in the background of Dreamland N64 if you count that for Melee.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ba-dum-tsh.

What do you guys want Ridley's skin texture to be like? I definitely want a sleeky, smooth, scaly look rather than the gross leathery one from Brawl. I want him to look like a dragon, not a shaved dog.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
That would be an excellent callback if they ever brought back either Dreamland or Zebes.

Maybe when you get a Star KO on Pyrosphere they fly into/through the Ridley-hole.

D

Deleted member

Looking at the infamous Other M cutscene again, I rather like how Ridley is rendered in it rather than the actual boss fight.

Just look at it:

EDIT: The commercial for the game is even better:

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yeah, the game model is pretty bad compared to the concept art, cutscenes and the DoA appearance where it looks a lot better aside from a few quirks. I'd imagine that it looks even better then those in SSB4 too.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
it's alright but it still doesn't seem as natural as Ridley's super metroid design. It's one thing I don't get with smash, Character themselves get in by their iconic value (usually), but their character model is almost always based on recency.

For some reason every time I see other M Ridley all I see is a wrestler with a pterodactyl face .

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
it's alright but it still doesn't seem as natural as Ridley's super metroid design. It's one thing I don't get with smash, Character themselves get in by their iconic value (usually), but their character model is almost always based on recency.
It's probably meant to represent the current/last generation of games without it affecting the roster.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
makes sense, though in the case of metroid, super metroid was rereleased not even a year ago with great sales results (due to how cheap it was) while Other M blew in sales. I mean what's the point in using the game no one played to represent character design.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Bulky Ridley looked like he's suppose to be a 'murica parody of Ridley

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Bulky Ridley looked like he's suppose to be a 'murica parody of Ridley
Ridley confirmed to be redeemed by Ridzilla 2000.

There is Zelda, therefore there is hope.

Top Bottom