• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Ridley's intellgence is kind of one of those points I've never entirely understood. As far as speaking outside of things like the Magna there seems to be little reference in the games I've played that he speaks or is capable of speaking in human speech or not. His actions in the game rarely seem to reflect on how intellgent Ridley is suppose to be rather as Ridley behaves more like a feral beast a lot of the time, which either means his intellgence may be limited in some ways or he simply doesn't give a crap about his behavior, suppose either would make sense.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Ridley was female would that boosts it's chances? Just curious
Uhm, no, not at all. Gender has nothing to do with a character's inclusion into Smash Bros.

Ridley's intellgence is kind of one of those points I've never entirely understood. As far as speaking outside of things like the Magna there seems to be little reference in the games I've played that he speaks or is capable of speaking in human speech or not. His actions in the game rarely seem to reflect on how intellgent Ridley is suppose to be rather as Ridley behaves more like a feral beast a lot of the time, which either means his intellgence may be limited in some ways or he simply doesn't give a crap about his behavior, suppose either would make sense.
As Koopaul said, we only ever really see Ridley when we're fighting him, thus we only really see the feral side of him. He's supposed to be quite the genious outside of battle though, and it'd be neat to see it.

D

Deleted member

Then again, he's shown intelligence throughout Other M, even as a clone and an infant no less.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Look at the middle one. I like that size ratio better. Bowser's size would be a bit to small IMO. He should at least tower over everyone else.
Yeah, looks about right to me. The idle pose looks good. Even more so since Smash 4 Bowser is standing upright.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
No. Gender has no affect whatsoever on a character's chance.
Rosalina would like to have a word with you :)

Look at the middle one. I like that size ratio better. Bowser's size would be a bit to small IMO. He should at least tower over everyone else.
That would be the perfect size for Ridley! I love it! Also hello fellow Gaymer! Glad to find another gaymer on here! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Do you have any proof as to why Rosalina's gender being the reason she is playable in Smash? Any quotes from Sakurai himself. Or are you just guessing that's the reason she was chosen over Bowser Jr.? I figured she was chosen for being a unique character. Which of course, the gender of a cartoony space person has no effect on in a fighting game.

This wouldn't even matter much with Ridley. Even if Ridley is officially a male, he isn't a humanoid. Most people only care for the gender if they can be visually pointed out and is somewhat visually appealing to the viewer/player. Even if that shouldn't matter.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah....still no.

Her moveset is one of the most unique we've seen in the Smash franchise so far. The most likely case would be that she stood out to Sakurai much more in term of potential moveset and gameplay style compared to other possible Mario newcomers. Of course she likely would not have been considered in the first place had she not become a popular character after Super Mario Galaxy, but my point is that being a female did not truly help her get in over other Mario characters.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Do you have any proof as to why Rosalina's gender being the reason she is playable in Smash? Any quotes from Sakurai himself. Or are you just guessing that's the reason she was chosen over Bowser Jr.? I figured she was chosen for being a unique character. Which of course, the gender of a cartoony space person has no effect on in a fighting game.
If rosalina was male no one would be requesting him. The fact that rosalina is female is what got her fans and supporters. Her look and style is lovely! :)

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If rosalina was male no one would be requesting him. The fact that rosalina is female is what got her fans and supporters. Her look and style is lovely! :)
Well then, explain to me why Ridley's support thread is one of the largest in this website? He's male. Or better yet, Mega Man who is also male. Before he was confirmed, he was one of the most requested characters in Smash history, with only Sonic beating him out. People probably like Rosalina for a bunch of reasons, not just for being a chick.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Well then, explain to me why Ridley's support thread is one of the largest in this website? He's male. Or better yet, Mega Man who is also male. Before he was confirmed, he was one of the most requested characters in Smash history, with only Sonic beating him out. People probably like Rosalina for a bunch of reasons, not just for being a chick.
Comparing a Major Villian and Protagonist to a side character isn't a good comparison.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I dunno there were a lot of creeps here who wanted Rosalina.

Then again I know a couple people who fetishize Ridley too.

I guess just let your **** flop out and which ever character it makes a really gross onomatopoeia against is the one to base your support around.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well I'm glad I didn't want to sleep tonight.

Anyone know when any Metroid related anniversaries are coming?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Logically I think Zero Suit Samus would be revealed first on the site before Ridley and then he'd be in a direct or at E3.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ridley should've been in since Melee, seriously. That was when everyone got their villains (besides Kirby, weirdly enough), and with that terrible fakeout with the announcement, everyone was excited. I honestly think Ridley has a chance this time. Here's hoping we'll see the Space Pirate leader busting some heads this year.

Also, there was apparently a Metroid hint at some Spike awards or something, so we might have reason to announce some Metroid characters if that gives-way to anything.

If I had my way, we'd get both Dark Samus and Ridley.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I dunno there were a lot of creeps here who wanted Rosalina.

Then again I know a couple people who fetishize Ridley too.

I guess just let your **** flop out and which ever character it makes a really gross onomatopoeia against is the one to base your support around.
I know that people like her. I'm just saying she wasn't chosen for solely gender. She was chosen because she had a thematic fighting style that the devs chose to take advantage of. Using the Luma as a weapon and having a bunch of references from Mario Galaxy.

Also, who likes Ridley, in that way? Actually, don't answer that.

Comparing a Major Villian and Protagonist to a side character isn't a good comparison.
Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. Though if you want a better comparison. Toad. He was more requested in most sites to be playable in Smash. He was seen as the next important Mario character to add. But he was thrown into being a meat shield yet again. I think the reason for this is that he probably offered nothing moveset wise in the eyes of the developers.

See, what most(but not all)of what Toad can do is similar to Mario, Luigi, and Peach. He'd likely end up as light-weight semi-clone of Mario. Fireballs? Pulling Turnips? Golf Club? Tennis Rack? Uppercuts? Been there done that. Even the Ground-Pound would be treading old ground, since Yoshi and Bowser have moves like that. Not to say can't be unique, but he'd end up using some more obscure power-ups in the Mario games just to stand out more.

This is what makes Rosalina shine among the other Mario characters, she uses Luma as a puppet and has Galaxy themed attacks, something that Mario didn't get to step his foot in Brawl. And no else in Smash uses a "puppet" of sorts.

You can feel free to disagree with me all you want, just wanted to get my point of view out there.

Ridley should've been in since Melee, seriously. That was when everyone got their villains (besides Kirby, weirdly enough), and with that terrible fakeout with the announcement, everyone was excited. I honestly think Ridley has a chance this time. Here's hoping we'll see the Space Pirate leader busting some heads this year.

Also, there was apparently a Metroid hint at some Spike awards or something, so we might have reason to announce some Metroid characters if that gives-way to anything.

If I had my way, we'd get both Dark Samus and Ridley.
Well the Spike awards thing was unimportant for Metroid. Just that they were desperate and wanted to blow a small announcement and made it seem like it was huge. But it ended up as most talked about thing, since nothing else at VGX was that interesting.

And I hear you man, I would burst with joy if Ridley and Dark Samus were playable. I would say that Ridley and K. Rool would complete the bad guy part of the roster pretty well. But Dark Samus and Captain Syrup would be cool too.

Last edited by a moderator:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Anyone know when any Metroid related anniversaries are coming?
March 19th will be the 20th anniversary of Super Metroid, although I don't think Ridley would be revealed until then.

Oh hey look, a humanized Ridley. Do you think too bigots out there would still be rallying against Ridley if he looked more human?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
March 19th will be the 20th anniversary of Super Metroid, although I don't think Ridley would be revealed until then.

Oh hey look, a humanized Ridley. Do you think too bigots out there would still be rallying against Ridley if he looked more human?
Kind of cool looking art. Not bad at all. But I don't really like the idea of a more humanoid Ridley. That and he looks too much like Devil Kazuya from Tekken.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So, how would you guys feel about Ridley speaking in Smash Bros.? Some evidence of that so-called genius intellect?

I certainly wouldn't mind, if done well. A deep, snakey (the creature, not the out-of-place Smash Bro) voice would suit him well. His lines should be smart, insulting, and venemous.

"The likes of you has no business fighting the likes of me."
"You're lucky I let you live, worm."
"Remember this feeling the next time you decide to challenge a Space Pirate."

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
So, how would you guys feel about Ridley speaking in Smash Bros.? Some evidence of that so-called genius intellect?

I certainly wouldn't mind, if done well. A deep, snakey (the creature, not the out-of-place Smash Bro) voice would suit him well. His lines should be smart, insulting, and venemous.

"The likes of you has no business fighting the likes of me."
"You're lucky I let you live, worm."
"Remember this feeling the next time you decide to challenge a Space Pirate."
Do not want, honestly. Just make him speak some half-roar, half-speech alien language and I'll be happy.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

Music to get us hyped for Smash Bros. 4, which is RELEASING THIS YEAR!

(also, the moosic has some vulgar words in it, but it's Egoraptor. What did you expect?)​

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That actually hasn't stopped them from doing it, anyway.
Which is just unfortunate. On so, so, so many levels. I try to respect most lifestyles. Most stuff doesn't bother me. But it's just weird.

Anyway, who wants to talk about Ridley's mid-air attacks? I don't remember talking about that in a while.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
He needs to be able to hold someone while flying. That's really all I ask.

Most of the suggested movesets have that, though, so I'm allllllll goood.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
You know how Ridley has that one SCREEEEEECH sound effect repeated throughout his SSE appearances, and how that and his death cry are the only times he makes any real noise? I'd like a few more dragon roars or growls here and there, new to SSB4, though probably not any voice actor at all.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I never found it to be very bad in Zero Mission. Fusion on the other hand taught me that a Gameboy Advance can overdistort.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Fusion's screams were more terrifying than SA-X.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Do not want, honestly. Just make him speak some half-roar, half-speech alien language and I'll be happy.
I guess if they really wanted to, they could pull a Firebrand and have him speak in another language that's translated in subtitles, though I don't think they'd go for it.

Well, of course not, because Ridley and Samus would then be shipped to the f'ing moon and back.
The scary part is, they're already shipped...

Edit: Beat by a few hours.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm hoping this is a joke, cause it took me more than two hands to count how many characters would be impossible

Seriously? Homer? And the Pokemon choices are baffling. Why Metagross, Tyranitar, Typhlosion, and Groudon? And why would a Creeper and Big Daddy be there? I'm pretty sure none of them have appeared on a Nintendo console.

Unsure as to why the Hewdraw is there, and I feel there's way too many Sonic characters. And I'm not too keen on the DBZ characters and Bass

And then there's Kraid. I think it's fair to declare Kraid "too big" for Smash, as his entire character is built around him being a towering behemoth, unlike Ridley.

The rest I'm okay with, relatively speaking.
Aint gonna lie when i saw groudon i almost choked hehehe its cool though i would love to play as

Cranky Kong
Dry Bowser
Haunter/Gengar
Dragonite
Scizor

My Crazy list lol i think Cranky Will make it

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yay! Dark Phazon is back! How's it been going buddy?
Im good man its really nice to know someone missef me or is happy to see im back you have realised how less ''Real'' it feel when im not about huh......

How you been what you been upto?

I need ya 3DS & WiiU details.
Villians Rule !.jpg
PS:*This pics too deep....had to post it again.

Top Bottom