• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
\
Pikachu is the wrong sized compared to everyone. Either they shrunk everyone or Pikachu is the one they increased his size

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
People say that Ridley is too big, and I almost agree with them, but then I remember this is Smash we're talking about, where size doesn't matter.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
The only problem I have with resizing Ridley is the fact that if he were too small compared to his regular size, he'd feel kinda dinky.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The only problem I have with resizing Ridley is the fact that if he were too small compared to his regular size, he'd feel kinda dinky.
I won't personally mind it as long as he's decently bigger than Samus.

Making him hunch like Melee/Brawl Bowser should help.
Yeah, I can see him being around that size. Possibly bigger, if his stance was on all fours.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
I can see him being a very large character, but his hunching would give him a smaller profile so he doesn't take up too much space. Plus he's never been all that maneuverable on the ground, so he'd probably have slow movement speed to compensate for his long reach (dude has some long limbs).

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
This is how much Sakurai has cared about scaling of any magnitude since the first SSB game.

I keep having to quote this.

Also Psycho's just mad because Rosalina got in over Geno as the star themed Mario rep.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
You would think that Smash being a non-canon game to every series present would be enough, but it isn't.

I think the reason for Ridley not being added in previous installments has to do with balance. In the Metroid series, he's actually one of the smaller bosses. Mostly being a speedy fighter in the air. But he is still comparable to Bowser and Beast Ganon in size, in that they are considerably larger than their rivals. Sakurai and the other devs likes to get the characters personalities and abilities accurately. This is why Falco kicks his reflector in a cocky manner. Or why Mega Man is mostly a ranged fighter, though why Mega Man doesn't smile is weird, since he can in his series.

Why this could hurt Ridley's chances has to do with one of those quotes. Sakurai said something along the lines of this "With our best efforts, Ridley can work, but he would be a little slow. Is that OK?" Forgive me if the quote isn't 100% accurate. I'm going off of memory.

In the Metroid series, Ridley is big, fast and powerful. This works as he is an enemy to overcome. But in Smash, he would need to axe one of these traits to be playable. But that isn't completely correctly representing the character, something that the devs care about deeply in this series. It would make the most sense for bigger characters like Ridley to deal a lot of damage when put into a playable role. But not so much if they can out run characters like Link or Mario.

I feel that Ridley would need to be a slow character to get into Smash. Re-sizing him is of no issue. But making the character feel like they are playing the same Ridley from the Metroid series is an issue.

I still have my hopes for seeing him playable in Smash, he's a cool villain. And no one can convince me not to root for him. But like all characters, certain changes will need to be made to mesh in well with the rest of the cast. In this case, making him slow so that he isn't as cheap as Meta-Knight was in Brawl.

Sorry for the wall of text. Heh.

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think that Mario and Metroid universe are connected, the galaxy under Rosalina's dress is the one from Metroid games so that means that Samus, Ridley etc. are microscopical, and also means that Ridley is too small, and sakurai could make him bigger to work properly without any problem.
Go back to the under Rosalina's dress part.

You would think that Smash being a non-canon game to every series present would be enough, but it isn't.

I think the reason for Ridley not being added in previous installments has to do with balance. In the Metroid series, he's actually one of the smaller bosses. Mostly being a speedy fighter in the air. But he is still comparable to Bowser and Beast Ganon in size, in that they are considerably larger than their rivals. Sakurai and the other devs likes to get the characters personalities and abilities accurately. This is why Falco kicks his reflector in a cocky manner. Or why Mega Man is mostly a ranged fighter, though why Mega Man doesn't smile is weird, since he can in his series.

Why this could hurt Ridley's chances has to do with one of those quotes. Sakurai said something along the lines of this "With our best efforts, Ridley can work, but he would be a little slow. Is that OK?" Forgive me if the quote isn't 100% accurate. I'm going off of memory.

In the Metroid series, Ridley is big, fast and powerful. This works as he is an enemy to overcome. But in Smash, he would need to axe one of these traits to be playable. But that isn't completely correctly representing the character, something that the devs care about deeply in this series. It would make the most sense for bigger characters like Ridley to deal a lot of damage when put into a playable role. But not so much if they can out run characters like Link or Mario.

I feel that Ridley would need to be a slow character to get into Smash. Re-sizing him is of no issue. But making the character feel like they are playing the same Ridley from the Metroid series is an issue.

I still have my hopes for seeing him playable in Smash, he's a cool villain. And no one can convince me not to root for him. But like all characters, certain changes will need to be made to mesh in well with the rest of the cast. In this case, making him slow so that he isn't as cheap as Meta-Knight was in Brawl.

Sorry for the wall of text. Heh.
Yh but mewtwo and Gdorf was ok..........somehow.....tail whip mewtwo the most powerful pokemon of all........(-_-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Yh but of you havent read the manga and only played the games like 99/ of peepz would you have figured?

Yh....Metroid needs to go deeper.....it needs Zelda love.
No! Metroid only needs to go as deep as Norfair. They tried to develop Samus as a character in Other M and look where that got us. Just put her somewhere alone and let her kill indigenous species and space scallywags.

edited for realtalk

Steelia

Smash Champion
So we're finally here, just a few more months to go. I think. If Ridley is shown as playable and that new American Godzilla flick turns out good, this'll be a fine year.

Don't let us down, 2014.

Also, Happy New Year:i6rkW:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
So we're finally here, just a few more months to go. I think. If Ridley is shown as playable and that new American Godzilla flick turns out good, this'll be a fine year.
Don't let us down, 2014.
Also, Happy New Year:i6rkW:
Spoiler: Ridley is Godzilla.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
No! Metroid only needs to go as deep as Norfair. They tried to develop Samus as a character in Other M and look where that got us. Just put her somewhere alone and let her kill indigenous species and space scallywags.

edited for realtalk
I think if they develop Samus correctly it could work wonders. I've never played Other M, but in a way, the whiny Samus kind of contributes to Samus' character development. Of course that would be assuming Other M takes place before the Prime series. Because, I could understand Samus being whiny and such as a rookie, and end up being a badass through her progression.

But if Other M takes place after the Prime series, then that's a problem.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Metroid Other M takes place after Super Metroid, and is the second to last game in the timeline. The last game is Metroid Fusion.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

edited for realtalk
I hear you and i respect that
But it can be done right but i guess it maybe to edgy to do.....for Ridley im talking about and ofc he dont need a voice not even text speech think a better portraye ganondorf...hell tbh.....Ridley should be the king of evil......just show some of that intelligence and cunningness in direct with he tory

Ridleyfighter

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ghostshooter13
I know, Im just showing that he is not some
I hear you and i respct that
But it can be done right but i guess it maybe to edgy to do.....for Ridley im talking about and ofc he dont need noice....just show some of that intelligence and cunningness in direct with he tory
I know, im saying he is not a mindless beast and has a better chance of being in the game

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I know, im saying he is not a mindless beast and has a better chance of being in the game
For the record, a character's personality has nothing to do with their inclusion.
It's their playstyle and their popularity. If personality mattered, we wouldn't get Villager or Wii Fit Trainer.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think if they develop Samus correctly it could work wonders. I've never played Other M, but in a way, the whiny Samus kind of contributes to Samus' character development. Of course that would be assuming Other M takes place before the Prime series. Because, I could understand Samus being whiny and such as a rookie, and end up being a badass through her progression.

But if Other M takes place after the Prime series, then that's a problem.
realtalk.php_.jpg

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Did i menti0? Finally got my WiiU WW Bundle going through super metroid for the first time!

(0_0)* yh i know right...first time...and my god if they remade this game in 3D HD for WiiU it would be better than Prime1 probaly...came across this room and just had to take a pic speechless how Epic it is...just got the powerbombs...also OMGGG at original Hydrodynamo Station theme! Best song ever when your stoned....litreally feel like i have submerged into the temple in echoes.
20131224_194118.jpg

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
Did i menti0? Finally got my WiiU WW Bundle going through super metroid for the first time!

(0_0)* yh i know right...first time...and my god if they remade this game in 3D HD for WiiU it would be better than Prime1 probaly...came across this room and just had to take a pic speechless how Epic it is...just got the powerbombs...also OMGGG at original Hydrodynamo Station theme! Best song ever when your stoned....litreally feel like i have submerged into the temple in echoes.View attachment 5672
Oh God...

J-Just put it out of it's misery.

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
So what do you think of my roster?
I'm hoping this is a joke, cause it took me more than two hands to count how many characters would be impossible

Seriously? Homer? And the Pokemon choices are baffling. Why Metagross, Tyranitar, Typhlosion, and Groudon? And why would a Creeper and Big Daddy be there? I'm pretty sure none of them have appeared on a Nintendo console.

Unsure as to why the Hewdraw is there, and I feel there's way too many Sonic characters. And I'm not too keen on the DBZ characters and Bass

And then there's Kraid. I think it's fair to declare Kraid "too big" for Smash, as his entire character is built around him being a towering behemoth, unlike Ridley.

The rest I'm okay with, relatively speaking.

Top Bottom