• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Dodongo's are in zelda a fair amount, but that doesn't mean they have any chance in smash
Oh, of course not. But that doen't mean they should be tossed away as unimportant. At least in my opinion, they're more important than most one-shot characters.

Also my post was meant to be somewhat joke-ish. Because dodongo bombing is serious business. Like zoomers. You don't mess with zoomers.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Gandrayda doesn't turn into Ridley. She turns into the Berserker Lord, a flying Space Pirate, a Swarmbot, Ghor, Rundas and Samus. Plus, Gandrayda is really just a nobody, sure she has a role in Corruption, but it's not imporant enough to leave an impact on Metroid as a series, no other Hunter than Samus has that.

For Metroid it's Ridley or bust. He's the only one who people have requested to a noticeable degree, and he's by far the most important character in the franchise other than Samus.
Whether she would actually be able to turn into Ridley or not, Gandy was still awesome as Metroid's Mystique, but yeah. Agreed.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Whether she would actually be able to turn into Ridley or not, Gandy was still awesome as Metroid's Mystique, but yeah. Agreed.
Not saying that she wasn't awesome, all the Prime 3 Hunters were in their own way, but she really isn't of much importance to Metroid as a whole.

Ridley won't be playable

Banned via Warnings
You need a PhD to be able to detect sarcasm on Smashboards.
I feel the sarcasm is just becoming a little contrived at this point, but I don't blame you guys. When the only news we get is at Sakrai's discretion, and we could have anywhere from hours to months to be given solid information, and we've already been trolled by the man himself, there's not too much worth discussing. By looking at a few of you guys' join dates, it's easy to tell you've having these arguments since the pre-brawl era, and they haven't changed much. Sometimes, sarcasm is all that's left.

(I mean look at this account)

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I think that Mario and Metroid universe are connected, the galaxy under Rosalina's dress is the one from Metroid games so that means that Samus, Ridley etc. are microscopical, and also means that Ridley is too small, and sakurai could make him bigger to work properly without any problem.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So what would his intro be? Would Ridley just slam into the ground while flying? Seems like it would work. Or should he burst of out a statue? I think he did that in a few different games.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He only really bursted out of his rotten shell in Fusion, and that was only because the X Parasite had cloned Ridley from his dead husk-state from Other M.

I really love the idea of having black smoke materialize at his starting point, then have him open his eyes first before he breaks the smoke apart and goes into his battle stance. Harkens back to his very iconic entrance from Super Metroid.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
He only really bursted out of his rotten shell in Fusion, and that was only because the X Parasite had cloned Ridley from his dead husk-state from Other M.

I really love the idea of having black smoke materialize at his starting point, then have him open his eyes first before he breaks the smoke apart and goes into his battle stance. Harkens back to his very iconic entrance from Super Metroid.
That sounds pretty cool. But that might be a little similar to what Ganon does. Showing up from the darkness and all.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
So what would his intro be? Would Ridley just slam into the ground while flying? Seems like it would work. Or should he burst of out a statue? I think he did that in a few different games.
He needs to be totally invisible except for his glowing yellow eyes, then the rest of him needs to fade in.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Exactly. Super Metroid Ridley's entrance would be most iconic and stylish all the same.

BTW, would anybody object to Ridley sporting any sort of chameleon-like abilities? Just curious.
No I wouldn't. But outside of that intro he hasn't really used them has he? I can't remember if he did. It could be something a little too abstract to use in his movepool. Especially compared to all of his other powers he uses on a consistent basis. But it'd be something we haven't seen quite yet in Smash. A character coming in with their own cloaking device, in a sense.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It wouldn't be too far-fetched, Sakurai does sometimes use some obscure things for characters's movesets, see Ness as an example who uses his Yoyo for two moves when it's just an optional and useless item in Earthbound. I think it'd be pretty cool, whether it'd be an ability Ridley himself has or if it's a cloaking device, but it should be handled with care.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It wouldn't be too far-fetched, Sakurai does sometimes use some obscure things for characters's movesets, see Ness as an example who uses his Yoyo for two moves when it's just an optional and useless item in Earthbound. I think it'd be pretty cool, whether it'd be an ability Ridley himself has or if it's a cloaking device, but it should be handled with care.
I suppose. And it would be interesting nonetheless. But I feel like Ridley has enough to offer where something like that would be looked over. Not that I'd want it to.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I suppose. And it would be interesting nonetheless. But I feel like Ridley has enough to offer where something like that would be looked over. Not that I'd want it to.
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't expect it to be integrated into his moveset either, he's got enough stuff to use as it is.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
BTW, would anybody object to Ridley sporting any sort of chameleon-like abilities? Just curious.
Not at all. If anything I've kinda wanted him to have/show more of that (in any game) since thinking more about his iconic Super Metroid entrances. He kinda had a chameleon-like ability in Other M too though when it came to darkening his skin during the battle, but something like invisibility or partial invisibility (like those certain purple lizards in Other M) would be kinda fresh coming from him.

As far as a Smash moveset though, I wouldn't expect much (if any) of that chameleon stuff to be included either.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Heh, I say the more we can show to prove Ridley's distinctiveness, the better. At the least it would prove without a shadow of a doubt Ridley can stand out significantly from Bowser and Charizard.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Heh, I say the more we can show to prove Ridley's distinctiveness, the better. At the least it would prove without a shadow of a doubt Ridley can stand out significantly from Bowser and Charizard.
True enough. I feel like that Bowser wouldn't be a big issue for Ridley's moveset the two have enough differences on a basic level. But I can see some issues with Charizard. They can be overcome.

For one, Ridley would automatically have a Down-B and a likely a different Final Smash. Another is that he could have a command grab, given that Ridley has done that in a few games, namely in a cut-scene in Brawl and using his dash in Metroid Prime. He could also shoot Fire Balls in rapid succession rather than breath it in a constant stream like Charizard and Bowser.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
But he's purple under his invisible layer, your move Bender.
You might be able to apply layers in photoshop, but in real life, for something to be see through, biologically, it can't have color. Now, if you're using high tech science sorcery to achieve invisibility, all arguments are invalid.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
You might be able to apply layers in photoshop, but in real life, for something to be see through, biologically, it can't have color. Now, if you're using high tech science sorcery to achieve invisibility, all arguments are invalid.
I was going to reply with a valid argument but I read everything I was typing in Farnsworth's voice and decided it would be better to just agree with you.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Whether Ridley still counts as purple when he's invisible depends on how he achieves his invisibility. If he's just transparent, then no, he's unfortunately not purple. But if he's bending light around himself, then I'd say he's just as purple as a grape that rolled under the fridge out of sight.

Unless he's red. Then he's not purple.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
And this is why Ridley is the military leader, not the R&D leader. D:
But he's the best damn military leader of space pirates you can imagine. Which is pretty good for a dragon that can't speak most of the time.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see Ridley being playable.

The way I see it, he could work with being awkward on the ground, with his large and hunched-over posture and slow walking/running speed. But to compensate he has amazing aerial capabilites, long reach, and some projectiles. Plus he'd totally need a grabbing move where he grinds the opponent into the ground.

My biggest concern is how they'd make his size look natural compared to the rest of the cast, considering he'd need some resizing.

Top Bottom