• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Makes me wonder how Sakurai would approach Ridley if he knew for certainty that Ridley's Other M model is looked at unfavorably. We like to assume Sakurai will add his own touches or whatever. Then again, Sakurai is definitely willing to use the latest design of a character if that's what he's feeling, as also explained in the link I posted.
I'd assume the same way he treated Samus in that case as truthfully, while the design isn't liked, I don't think the outcry for his was worse or more vocal then hers.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I haven't really seen Other Samus get a lot of hate, I've seen some people nitpick it a bit but that's it, and even then it's mostly in relation to how you could often see her face through the visor. Pretty much everybody I've seen talk about Ridley in Other M has hated on his new look.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I haven't really seen Other Samus get a lot of hate, I've seen some people nitpick it a bit but that's it, and even then it's mostly in relation to how you could often see her face through the visor. Pretty much everybody I've seen talk about Ridley in Other M has hated on his new look.
Maybe it's because of where I used to hang out because I've heard negative things for Samus' design as well. In fact, the whole game's design direction has been criticized at one point or another, especially when compared to their previous counterparts.

Having said that, I think the issue lands more on what Sakurai thinks of the design and how it conveys in the game. If he feels that it works for the character, he'll go for it and tweak it while still being faithful to the original design a la Samus. If not, he'll ignore it and go with the older design and tweak that a la Link.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Samus' suit in Other M looks so much better than in previous installments imho. She was bulky and awkward.

Ridley, on the other hand, it's the exact opposite. He was just fine before and now he looks bulky and awkward.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yo guys I just thought of a possible problem with Ridley's inclusion, and it's kinda worrying me.

What if he's too big of a character to be included in the roster? I'm not sure Sakurai's ever tried to incorporate anyone as large as Ridley before, maybe it just wouldn't work?

The more I think about it, the more I slowly realize his status as a playable character is hopeless due to his immense stature...

It was a good thread guys, sorry : (
That's pure nonsense at this point in time. So what if Ridley ends up looking small, that didn't stop Bowser when he got resized.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Samus' suit in Other M looks so much better than in previous installments imho. She was bulky and awkward.
This reminds me of when Kuma would complain of Samus's big squarish bulge, like what's the matter bro you scared of a woman with more junk than you, go do some push ups.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
"Even if your body is covered in magic space armor, I still want your crotch to look appealing to me so like, you don't need any waste removal systems or whatever right good okay."

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ridley's crotch will also be resized if he got into Smash. Am sure the lady Space Pirates won't like that.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
So guys...
Q1: What it will be your reaction if Ridley gets finally confirmed in?

Q2: Reaction if he gets confirmed as a stage hazard?

Q3: Reaction if Sakurai uses "TOO BIG" argument again?

Q4: If Ridley is neither confirmed or deconfirmed, but Dark Samus gets revealed, it will ruins his chances?

Q5: Reaction if BOTH Ridley and Dark Samus gets confirmed in the same trailer...

Keeshu

Smash Ace
A1: Is this really the official announcement? *check check check* yes it is! Woot Ridley! Time for Meta Knight x Charizard x Ridley battles!
A2: Welp, there's always next Smash Bros.
A3: (again?) I will be very disappointed in him, since that's such a non-issue he should never say that.
A4: No. Since most Dark Samus will be turned into a semi-clone (which would be annoying since Dark Samus and Samus fight so differently). Ridley is still more important to the franchise, since he's in the most games aside from Samus, Dark Samus is only in Prime 2+3 (unless you count the 100% bonus scene in prime 1 which is pushing it)
A5: Really awesome! Now we need a 2v2 of samus+zero suit samus vs Ridley and Dark Samus now.

D

Deleted member

A1: Nice. Good to finally see the "too big" argument be taken to the backyard and shot between the eyes.

A2: Dammit. *moves on*

A3: Since this would be the FIRST TIME Sakurai ever used the "too big" argument, I would lose respect for Sakurai for using such a bull**** argument when he himself has made note of characters not being to scale due to being toys.

A4: Yes, yes it would.

A5: Pleasantly surprised.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
But I wanted to use that vid for the longest time tho.

I know it was sarcasm because that avi makes everything sarcastic... I was just playing along XD
He used a Futurama vid so I forgive him. Spread the Futurama Ridley godRidleyspeed.

Mario_and_Sonic_Guy, on the other hand, I am disappointed in, treating me like the common rabble. I've been 'round these parts longer than he has, and he thinks I'm one of those.... toobigers.

I guess my sarcasm works too well. I'm just going to go cry for a while. with some 'eggnog'.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
A1: happy obviously
A2: not surprised
A3: I would understand him. I don't care about it but I get that having Ridley a little bit bigger than Samus is weird. Not for him to work though, they can make him work even if it's shorter than Kirby. Basically, it depends if it's because of gameplay issues or artistic reasons.
A4: yes, and meh.
A5: Well, good, if Dark Samus is not a clone.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
A1: I'd jump for joy for a short time, post a special post involving gifs and music among other things to celebrate Ridley's inclusion, then I'd make fun of everyone who thinks the "too big" argument was perfectly valid, happy that the argument would finally be blown skyhigh and out of existence.

A2: I would be frustrated, then get over it not long after, still keeping my hopes up for other possible newcomers.

A3: I would begin to seriously question Sakurai's decisions and lose a good amount of respect for him, particularly because he has already made note that the characters are not to scale in the past, not to mention the intro of Melee where he was given a size that would be perfect for Smash.

A4: Most likely, though I'd say his chances wouldn't be as hurt as the chances of many other Mario characters were after Rosalina was revealed.

A5: I'd be extremely happy about Ridley's inclusion, and I'd be plreasantly surprised about Dark Samus' inclusion.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
He used a Futurama vid so I forgive him. Spread the Futurama Ridley godRidleyspeed.

Mario_and_Sonic_Guy, on the other hand, I am disappointed in, treating me like the common rabble. I've been 'round these parts longer than he has, and he thinks I'm one of those.... toobigers.

I guess my sarcasm works too well. I'm just going to go cry for a while. with some 'eggnog'.
Have a merry christmas bender :D (yes i'm calling you bender now.... deal with it)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So guys...

Q4: If Ridley is neither confirmed or deconfirmed, but Dark Samus gets revealed, it will ruins his chances?

Q5: Reaction if BOTH Ridley and Dark Samus gets confirmed in the same trailer...
A1: Well, take a guess. It would most likely involve jumping out of my chair and making the rest of the day one big party.

A2: Welp, too bad. See you guys when the game releases. Might make a quick visit when Meta Knight is announced or if K. Rool gets announced.

A3: I'd think of him as quite the hypocrite.

A4: I'd find it odd, and I'd certainly think that Ridley's chances would be decreased quite a bit too.

A5: A1, but multiplied.

Btw, merry christmas my fellow Space Pirates!

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Speculating Ridley's gameplay like this actually feels kinda fresh and am surprised it's not something discussed here more often like his size is, but I guess we have toobigots to partly thank for the latter.
I've tried to start this sort of conversation before, but no one ever seemed interested. But I understand, my post count isn't very high yet.

Also I noticed people are suddenly agreeing with my dislike of bodybuilder Ridley? When I said something about it a while ago, everyone got all defensive about it.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
So guys...

A1 - Depending on where I am, either jump for joy going YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!, possibly shed a tear, or restrain myself of all the excitement and very likely shed a tear, then play a specific victory theme. If I have to work that day, then I'll be spending the whole day on cloud 9 awaiting to get home and officially celebrate with everyone else. Then I might consider making peace with the anti-Ridley crowd, letting bygones be bygones and being the bigger person and stuff. Maybe.

A2 - "Ohhhhhh boy, and thus our hell begins...". Won't even have a chance to go "Oh well, I never wrote it off completely..." I'll have to deal with the incoming flood of anti-Ridley lauding and rubbing it in our faces on every site I talk and read about Smash at.

A3 - As GoldenYuiitusin said, all respect for Sakurai... kaput. Don't care what he's come up with so far. If he can look at Ridley and actually conclude "too big" despite everything he's done so far in the Smash series, there very well is likely a better person out there for the job. He has his ways that garner great respect, but doesn't mean his is the one and only way.

A4 - It will greatly diminish Ridley's chances. Find it very difficult to believe Metroid will get two newcomers. But then again I find it difficult to believe Dark Samus will get in. Her time was over and done with as of Prime 3. Ridley meanwhile has retained his relevance to the series through Other M, and being Samus's primary nemesis, him potentially losing out to anybody else would be ridiculous.

A5 - See A1, then add "OH SNAP, EVERYBODY WINS!!!" and tip the proverbial hat to Sakurai for giving Metroid the respect it deserves.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
A1: I would say "Holy ****!" and literally jump up and down like a kid on his birthday party, beaming because finally my most wanted character for SSB4 is in. The next thing I would do is to try to preorder the Wii U and 3DS versions.

A2: I would smile and turn off the computer, deciding that I would not waste my time buying this game. If King K. Rool was in, then I would probably get the 3DS version only.

A3: The same as A2, except that I won't even get the 3DS version if it has King K. Rool. I would lose of all my trust in Sakurai.

A4: Scratch my head and wonder how the hell an arc villain got in over Samus's archnemesis.

A5: "Holy crap, it looks like Sakurai is finally making up for leaving the Metroid franchise in the dust all these years!"

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I've tried to start this sort of conversation before, but no one ever seemed interested. But I understand, my post count isn't very high yet.

Also I noticed people are suddenly agreeing with my dislike of bodybuilder Ridley? When I said something about it a while ago, everyone got all defensive about it.
I don't think people here generally judge/base someone off of their post count. Maybe I overlooked it when you tried starting that conversation here before. Either way, don't remember it.

While it may be defended by like a couple others from time to time, people have pretty much always disliked bodybuilder Ridley for the most part. I don't mind it though aside from the head.

Do I really need to give what my reactions would be to those questions? -.- Pretty much what Wariofan and some of them said though.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
A1: I'm gonna scream like a little girl, and shed tears of massive joyness.

A2: A blank expression in my face, with a lot of frustration im my mind.

A3: "SAAAKUUUURAAAAIIIIIII!!!" "I hope another person take the lead for the next Smash Bros. and this time put Ridley in"

A4: I will be very Happy, but at the time worried for Ridley.

A5: Heart Attack of happyness.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I don't think people here generally judge/base someone off of their post count.
I do. :p

But then again, it's usually people whose post count is under 20 and they join when a new Smash game is announced and proceed to make stupid topics like "All the characters revealed in the first trailer are in the final game" or posting something that's already been posted like 50 times already.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Well yeah, but then you got folks like me who went on a long hiatus from Smashboards, so nearly 10-year old account that just got over 500 messages some time ago. =/
Nothing wrong with that, as long you make good posts it doesn't matter.

FMA shawdow thing. (I know i said it wrong)

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Is someone on miiverse actually arguing with me by saying that Ridley is in a pokeball...
Well, he is a Charizard, so no wonder he says that. :troll:

Funny, some people keep saying that Ridley would be a copy of Charizard, yet ignore that Charizard itself is significantly smaller in Brawl than in Pokemon canon.

Top Bottom