• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
But can we at least not have the duck mouth? That's all I ask when it comes to Other M Ridley. I can take him being on steroids, and I can take the 90's anti-hero spikes being thrown all over his design too.
They did fix up Samus a bit to look better in Smash's environment, I really do hope that they can make it look like Ridley can actually bite without breaking his own jaws.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ridley should be a heavyweight, in spite of his thin appearance I believe. All of the aerialists are lightweight so far, so it would help Ridley if he could be as heavy and slow as Bowser.
Being heavy does have some flaws though, as that can result in being vulnerable to combination attacks. Even lightweight fighters can be heavy hitters after all.

Edit: Rosalina is apparently shorter than she normally is. With this info, Ridley being resized should NOT be any problem.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's a Ridley that would die in 3 Super Missile shots. Max.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
She still looks shorter than Bowser, Samus and Donkey Kong. Well to me anyway.

But yeah, taller characters shouldn't be an issue. So anyhow, Bowser now clips through soft platforms. Maybe Ridley would too, depending on how upright his stance would be. I'd imagined he'd be hunched like Brawl Bowser. He normally has a hunched position in quite a few of the Metroid games.

Actually, it would be kind of cool to see him on all fours. It'd hit home with the feral appearance of Ridley. That kind of stance might not happen though.
Well if he's on all fours, then he probably wouldn't be clipping/going through any upper platforms, so I approve. Even Other M Ridley was on all fours like half the time IIRC, so I don't think it'd be that out there.

Ganondorf's manly Down Air Kick is so worth it though! You gotta like stomping people!

Speaking of stomping people, how about Ridley uses his Prime 1 stomp attack? It can work as an Air move. Perhaps it would be suited better as a special attack. Either way seems like a good close range attack to take advantage of. Maybe the Ridley stomp can spike.

Also, see how I brought it back on topic?
If he were to have that attack from the 1st Prime, it should be his d-air, especially if it's a spike move. As a special attack it would be just another version of Bowser's down special. Would prefer it be Ganon d-air esque if anything.

Speculating Ridley's gameplay like this actually feels kinda fresh and am surprised it's not something discussed here more often like his size is, but I guess we have toobigots to partly thank for the latter.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think after the big entrance in SSE Ridley needs a move that grinds the opponent over the ground, even if it's just a throw.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
You know guys, glad we're discussing Ridley like this... Such as how Ridley could have a throw that grinds people against the ground...

Oh wait, that's in the moveset I just recently posted...

--- Base:Violent Snatch---
Ridley lunges ahead, extending his claw. This is a grab move with options. Ridley can charge straight ahead from the ground, or by tilting upwards while he reels, Ridley will lift off the ground and grab any target in the air. If already in the air, Dragon Charge sends Ridley directly ahead. If completed in the air without grabbing anyone, Ridley enters a helpless fall state.
After grabbing an opponent while on the ground, Ridley will either underhand toss the opponent away, or by holding Back, Ridley will move the victim behind him and smack him away with his tail.
After grabbing an opponent while in the air, Ridley will either scrape the opponent along the floor and toss them, or by holding Back, Ridley will simply chuck the opponent behind him. If performed too high above a floor, Ridley will simply throw the victim toward the ground.
Well, I like the idea of Ridley possibly fighting on all fours... Oh wait...

...Yep I've been suggesting quadrupedal Ridley for a while now exactly because it would solve the issue of making Ridley big without excessively clipping stage platforms...

...Just sayin' I've been on top of the game. Where u at? o_o

pitthekit

Smash Ace
To solve ridleys big problem just throw in gandrayda instead of ridley... cuz gandrayda can morph into any space pirate/organism that she knows... hint hint

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Noticed the size comparisons I made that's in the first post are broken, so here

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think after the big entrance in SSE Ridley needs a move that grinds the opponent over the ground, even if it's just a throw.

Yeah that does sound really cool. I can see it as a command grab actually. But a throw could work just as well too.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Noticed the size comparisons I made that's in the first post are broken, so here

Even in that, Ridley is too big, that is a bit too much of a size gap between bowser and Rid (In second image)
Frankly, Ridley should be no larger than bowser regardless, that image is just too big!

Also, does that odd bend in Ridley's neck bother anyone else? Just the way it zigzags bothers me......I know it is his natural look, but it effs with me psychologically, maybe it's my OCD or something.

Morbi

Scavenger
You know guys, glad we're discussing Ridley like this... Such as how Ridley could have a throw that grinds people against the ground...

Oh wait, that's in the moveset I just recently posted...

...Yep I've been suggesting quadrupedal Ridley for a while now exactly because it would solve the issue of making Ridley big without excessively clipping stage platforms...

...Just sayin' I've been on top of the game. Where u at? o_o
The only problem with Cave Bear Ridley is that he is too big though... :sadeyes:

In all seriousness, he would probably be easier to develop, but everyone would be disappointed.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
That's too much Anobylus. I can't see it working well with characters like Jiggly or Kirby.

The picture posted a while ago by Xhampi seems pretty good to me.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

I really, really like that idea. It should be added to the size comparisons, I think.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I've actually seen a number of people legitimately say Medusa and Hades are way too big for Smash Bros. I just.

How does "too big" even become a legitimate possibility to some people. Resizing models is extremely uncomplicated.

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
They can't scale Ridley to an acceptable size and still make him look realistic like they did with Olimar in Brawl unless the person has never seen Ridley before and has no idea who he is.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They can't scale Ridley to an acceptable size and still make him look realistic like they did with Olimar in Brawl unless the person has never seen Ridley before and has no idea who he is.
Boy...

You just walked in the lion's den.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

And that's when he's "upright" and not hunched over like he usually is.

So yeah, go away before I say something that gets me banned.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Look man I've had a long day and I just want to relax so you can just Step off.

(OOOH HE DID THE THING!!! HAHA I AM LAUGHING SO MUCH!!! IT IS SO GREAT! THE THING HE DOES! HEHE!!!)

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Look man I've had a long day and I just want to relax so you can just Step off.

(OOOH HE DID THE THING!!! HAHA I AM LAUGHING SO MUCH!!! IT IS SO GREAT! THE THING HE DOES! HEHE!!!)
Really? I just said one ity bity thing and you tell me to step off? okay.

Granted you've always been this way with me since the social thread, in fact the first post I made got you on me then I got ambushed, good times.

Anyway I support ridley, just came in here to say that. (since I've never posted here before).

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
EH? HUH?

DO YOU EXPECT THE STRONGEST MAID IN THE WHOLE WORLD TO REMEMBER EVERY SPECK OF DUST HE SWEEPS AWAY?

The curtains close and the beam of sunlight your existence swirls about within fades away. The last thing you see is me, like, walking into another room I guess. Doing laundry or something equally maidly. Stuff to do man. But know I am doing it with serious indifference. Like, MONDO indifference man.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
EH? HUH?

DO YOU EXPECT THE STRONGEST MAID IN THE WHOLE WORLD TO REMEMBER EVERY SPECK OF DUST HE SWEEPS AWAY?

The curtains close and the beam of sunlight your existence swirls about within fades away. The last thing you see is me, like, walking into another room I guess. Doing laundry or something equally maidly. Stuff to do man. But know I am doing it with serious indifference. Like, MONDO indifference man.
Nah I didn't expect you to remember me, you were just poking fun at me at the time (I think), because I asked why do you do the S thing? then all hell broke loose.

But anyway it sucks that you had a long day, I hope you feel better and stuffs. I'll try not to bother you any further my good maid.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yo guys I just thought of a possible problem with Ridley's inclusion, and it's kinda worrying me.

What if he's too big of a character to be included in the roster? I'm not sure Sakurai's ever tried to incorporate anyone as large as Ridley before, maybe it just wouldn't work?

The more I think about it, the more I slowly realize his status as a playable character is hopeless due to his immense stature...

It was a good thread guys, sorry : (

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Yo guys I just thought of a possible problem with Ridley's inclusion, and it's kinda worrying me.

What if he's too big of a character to be included in the roster? I'm not sure Sakurai's ever tried to incorporate anyone as large as Ridley before, maybe it just wouldn't work?

The more I think about it, the more I slowly realize his status as a playable character is hopeless due to his immense stature...

It was a good thread guys, sorry : (

Non-canon game, No problem to rescale....

Btw love your avi, it makes me read everything you type in bender's voice :awesome:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Guys, I think Olimar is too small to be playable. I mean look at him, he's the size of a quarter in Pikmin canon. If he's up there fighting against the likes of Mario and Link, what does this mean about everyone else? I'm sorry, but I don't think I could comprehend the idea that someone like Samus, who I know is 6 ft 3 inches, is actually somewhere around my toes.

Olimar's too small, it's time to close up shop.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Guys, I'm sorry. But I finally realized. Pikachu is too independent to be playable. I mean look at the anime. That mouse isn't going to be in any pokeball any time soon. And his stage entry in Smash Bros. is being released from a pokeball.

The dream is dead. We're done here. :c

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Something I was thinking about... Possibly already considered before, but mind as well bring it back to the forefront.

Sakurai: I think that would probably be pretty impossible. [Laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that be all right? [Laughs]
This statement has been picked apart and taken for face value and it's parts cherry picked and taken at face value. He said it would be impossible. He said it could be done. He said Ridley would be slow. He's joking. He's not actually joking. Blah blah blah...

...But why not say "That would be pretty impossible" and leave it at that? Forget the "If we had..." and the "may have been able..." and everything else.

The fact is Sakurai didn't entirely shoot down the idea of playable Ridley. This means the idea of "too big", even as Sakurai initially chuckled at the prospect of the suggested Ridley rumor, didn't supersede the ability to make it happen. Doesn't mean Sakurai doesn't think it's not in the game's best interest to place Ridley in such a role. But it does mean the "too big" argument is genuinely irrelevant, though we already understand this.

BTW, I found something interesting...

http://tanasmanor.net/sites/fe11/interview/interview5.html (WARNING: Contains Spoilers for Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon)

Sakurai - That fine balance in recreating old characters can be difficult. When making Super Smash Bros. Brawl, we thought about taking the same characters from before and modernizing them to look cool, but the feelings people had about each character differed for everyone. Sometimes for those who had played the original version, they tend to show negative feelings towards modernized redesigns.
Makes me wonder how Sakurai would approach Ridley if he knew for certainty that Ridley's Other M model is looked at unfavorably. We like to assume Sakurai will add his own touches or whatever. Then again, Sakurai is definitely willing to use the latest design of a character if that's what he's feeling, as also explained in the link I posted.

Top Bottom