• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I guess I just feel like 3D Metroid is better than 2D Metroid at everything except being in two dimensions(obviously) and platforming to a point. And I feel like if it reverted to being 2d metroids forever it would lose a lot of possibilities, or would be forced to return to a lot of its old mistakes.
Who said anything about forever?

3D on the Wii U, and a 2D one on the 3DS would be awesome.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Who said anything about forever?

3D on the Wii U, and a 2D one on the 3DS would be awesome.
I guess? There ARE a lot less restrictions with the 3DS, so I guess while it might not be as immersive they'd be able to solve most of the problems 2d Metroid ran into on the NES and Gameboy Advance. So I dunno. They'd have to actually make one for the 3DS for me to have a solid opinion on how bad of an idea that'd be.

In the meantime though I'm waiting for Retro Studios to pick up Metroid and follow up on the Sylux hint left in Metroid Prime 3, regardless of what style the game is.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's not a spinoff because it works a little differently than the other games in the series. That's sort of like saying Metroid Prime and Ocarina of Time are spinoffs of Metroid and TLoZ because they don't work like the games before them.

Hey, if you want us to talk about Ridley, put him in Paper Mario. /Unnecessary

I find it amusing whenever I hear someone say "Ridley is too big" and then "Kraid or Mother Brain would be better". I mean I might just be thinking Super Metroid, but I am pretty sure they're BOTH bigger than Ridley is.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
It's not a spinoff because it works a little differently than the other games in the series. That's sort of like saying Metroid Prime and Ocarina of Time are spinoffs of Metroid and TLoZ because they don't work like the games before them.
Nevermind that some people consider Prime spinoffs. :p

majora_787

Smash Hero
Nevermind that some people consider Prime spinoffs. :p
And they're silly and also dumb. But mostly silly.

I would think his trailer would just involve that hole in the Pyrosphere stage just for kicks. "We secretly made that hole JUST for this trailer! It serves NO PURPOSE in the stage!"

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
And they're silly and also dumb. But mostly silly.

I would think his trailer would just involve that hole in the Pyrosphere stage just for kicks. "We secretly made that hole JUST for this trailer! It serves NO PURPOSE in the stage!"
I agree with you! Prime was good, there's no reason not to count it as canon.

I also feel like he would fly out of that hole to attack Samus. That's why he showed it off specifically! :awesome:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
What would Ridley's trailer be like, since every newcomer is getting trailers now?

It starts off with Mario and Link knocking out Bowser and Ganondorf. But then the two of them see a single streak of light heading towards them. That light is actually Samus crashing right into the ground. Then you hear Ridley's roar from Metroid Fusion. He flies so his silhouette is in the moon. He then turns his sights to Mario and Link. And rushes at them, it cuts to gameplay of Ridley beating up other characters.

And at the end of the trailer, Mario and Link are shown cartoonishly stuck in craters. And Ridley flies off to take on his next opponent.

That's what I would do anyhow.

majora_787

Smash Hero
the most badass **** ever
I am pretty sure it would be like that one giraffe video, only with Ridley instead. Let me see if I can find it real quick...

Actually nevermind, the only video I found of it is really bad quality. BUT if you know the video I am talking about, just replace giraffes with Ridley and you'd have a pretty ideal trailer.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Ridley flying on to the battlefield stage and landing, followed my the stage breaking apart because Ridley is just TOO DAMN BIG

jk, ily guys

Paper Mario 1&2 were amazing, Super Paper Mario gave it a different spin and I liked it but prefer the old formula, the one with the stickers sucks. :(

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
AngelGlory is there like A PLACE i can download a rigged Brawl Ridley model or something. Even just a T-pose Brawl Ridley model (.obj???).

Please be my Christmas Angel.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
What would Ridley's trailer be like, since every newcomer is getting trailers now?

Excuse my lack of experience with this franchise, but I think it would work best...

Fade in to a sweeping view of a vast plain full of small hills and outlined by outer forest trees. Far in the distance you can see the silhouettes of some people. No... many people. A LOT of people. Armored warriors bearing a flag with some emblem on it.

Cue the opposite side of the plains... Another army. And leading this army is MARTH! He charges, leading his followers into battle!

A battle grid is now on the screen; Sprite representations of the enemy army on one side, Marth and co. on the other side. Marth moves several squares towards and enemy and engages in battle, soundly defeating them. He progresses further and further, engaging in battles and delivering finishing blow after finishing blow (also a Critical Hit!).
...Uh oh! Reinforcements!
...Actually just one. A mysterious enemy formed only by a black Silhouette and intimidating yellow eyes! No matter, Marth bravely engages!

The battle screen commences: Marth vs.... RIDLEY INVADES THE BATTLE!!!

Suddenly Ridley lunges past Marth and begins ravaging his troops at an alarming rate! Marth desperately rushes to their aid, but is quickly overwhelmed by Ridley's savage assault! Before he knows it, he's held captive in Ridley's long claws and is face to face with sharp fangs and an increasingly hot breath! Is it Game Over for the valiant lord!?

BOOM!! Suddenly Marth is set loose as Ridley reels back from an explosion! Zoom to the source of that explosion, then promptly pan out of the smoking barrel that is Samus's arm cannon! The Chozo Suit clad warrior pumps her arm cannon before dashing toward her eternal nemesis. Ridley forgets his previous target and lunges directly for Samus! The two lift off from the grass to engage in a picture-perfect face off, illuminated by the glare of the bright sun!

*Cue demonstration of Ridley's abilities*

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
So instead of trolling the Metroid fanbase, it's going to troll the Fire Emblem fanbase? :p

Oasis_S, I think it would be a good idea for you to put the SNES Ridley as part of the examples in which he isn't really that big in Metroid canon. I mean, he's about the size of the Torizo enemy. He even looks kinda like him!

Wait...

pitthekit

Smash Ace
If they are making another metroid game they need to have a metroid fusion sequel, it has to be 3d on the wii u. Now an alt costume for. Ridley should be his black clone from metroid fusion.

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Ridley flying on to the battlefield stage and landing, followed my the stage breaking apart because Ridley is just TOO DAMN BIG

jk, ily guys

Paper Mario 1&2 were amazing, Super Paper Mario gave it a different spin and I liked it but prefer the old formula, the one with the stickers sucks. :(
Paper mario ttyd was my favourite the chapter with the train had so much atmosphere.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I loved that, and the Glitz Pit...RAWK HAWK!

When I take my nostalgia goggles off I think ttyd is just as good IF not better than the original.

JediLink

Smash Ace
When I take my nostalgia goggles off I think ttyd is just as good IF not better than the original.
You say that as if it's something controversial, but I don't think anyone ever tried so say that the first one is better. It's pretty clear Thousand Year Door is an improvement in pretty much every way.
  • The story is much, much better. It starts light-hearted but it gets freaking heavy towards the end.
  • Your partners have a lot more personality than in PM1 and generally there are just more interesting characters all around. (E.g. Frankly, Rawk Hawk, Ms Mowz, Jolene, Pennington, Doopliss, Lord Crump, the list goes on)
  • Battle system is so much better, with the concept of the audience and the introduction of super guarding.
  • I would argue that the music is better, but I suppose that's subjective.
  • The locations were significantly more interesting and memorable. The Chapter 3 (Glitz Pitz) and Chapter 6 (Excess Express) are commonly brought up as people's favourite chapters.
EDIT: Who cares about Ridley? This is a Paper Mario thread now. Hooktail for Smash!

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Looking at the models for Meta-Ridley and Omega Ridley on Prime 3... I never realized how Omega Ridley is pretty much "Meta-Meta Ridley". Practically the same aside from a different color scheme and more emphasis on the metal portions of his body. It makes it more confusing that Ridley seemed so big in the first fight and so... not as big in the second fight.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, considering Meta Ridley did the whole "Shot repeatedly in the chest and face and thrown down a long fall" thing two times between Prime 1 and Prime 3, it's not too surprising.

Omega Ridley's also phazon-enhanced since he's a Leviathan Seed boss as well. Otherwise I imagine he'd still be Meta Ridley.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I like to think of Omega Ridley as Ridley getting his own PED suit. It's just Meta Ridley that's Phazon enhanced, and somehow that Phazon has to be kept at bay, just like with Samus, so they've just teched him up even more to contain it properly.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Is there a thread for general Metroid discussion? Because I can't help but feel like the non-Ridley-specific conversations in here are a little off-topic.

I mean if no one cares then I'll go right ahead and give my own ideas for future Metroid titles.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
You say that as if it's something controversial, but I don't think anyone ever tried so say that the first one is better. It's pretty clear Thousand Year Door is an improvement in pretty much every way.
  • The story is much, much better. It starts light-hearted but it gets freaking heavy towards the end.
  • Your partners have a lot more personality than in PM1 and generally there are just more interesting characters all around. (E.g. Frankly, Rawk Hawk, Ms Mowz, Jolene, Pennington, Doopliss, Lord Crump, the list goes on)
  • Battle system is so much better, with the concept of the audience and the introduction of super guarding.
  • I would argue that the music is better, but I suppose that's subjective.
  • The locations were significantly more interesting and memorable. The Chapter 3 (Glitz Pitz) and Chapter 6 (Excess Express) are commonly brought up as people's favourite chapters.
EDIT: Who cares about Ridley? This is a Paper Mario thread now. Hooktail for Smash!
I like the first one better. I don't care for a lot of the additions to the gameplay they made; it all added up to being too much and burned me out. Also, while Vivian and Yoshi kid are cool, I despise Flurrie, like Kooper more than Koops, and quite honestly miss Bow and Watt (my favorite partner ever). The music in the first one is better to me. And to top it all off, the voyeurism aspect of the Peach segments is frankly disturbing, and the computer is far creepier than sweet. Overall, while I realize I'm in the extreme minority, it comes down to the fact that I've played the first one many, many times, but never quite finished the second.

Looking at the models for Meta-Ridley and Omega Ridley on Prime 3... I never realized how Omega Ridley is pretty much "Meta-Meta Ridley". Practically the same aside from a different color scheme and more emphasis on the metal portions of his body. It makes it more confusing that Ridley seemed so big in the first fight and so... not as big in the second fight.
Ridley's size changed because the type of battle changed. Which is why anyone who thinks size actually matters is laughable.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
So I think it's now safe to say that Yoshi didn't appear in SSB4 so far because he is too big to be playable anymore thanks to the graphics who always get more and more realistic in video games:
Yoshi and Ridley Deconfirmed 'n'

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Ridley's size changed because the type of battle changed. Which is why anyone who thinks size actually matters is laughable.
I get the technical reason behind the size differences. I think it's just that they could have done a bit more. It's almost sort of lazy the way they handled it. I guess they really didn't want to make a second model for Ridley.

...And now that I think of it, this revelation puts a bit of a twist on things. I've always had in my head that Prime 3 Meta and Omega Ridley were much more visually different.

...This is actually good... Hmmm..... *gears turning*

nessokman

Smash Lord
GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Iwas surfing the web and found this picture that totally confirms ridley as an alternate costume and deconfirms him as playable! HERE IT IS!

[collapse=Deconfirmed Ridley]
asdf.jpg
[/collapse]

D

Deleted member

No, that only disconfirms Meta Ridley.
We still got like, 19 other Ridleys to go. :troll:

Top Bottom