• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Yeah, some people will probably be a bit butthurt about it, which I'm sure Sakurai intents either way.
More like a lot of people with extreme buttthurt, but we will celebrate, like never before.

Ironically I want Ridley in Smash over a new Metroid game. Not only because the quality of the franchise in the past 10 years hasn't been up to standards, but also because I play Smash much more regularly than any other game, Ridley as a playable character would affect me much more than playing through a new Metroid Prime once or twice.
Okay it may be your personal tastes about games, and i respect it, but we got amazing Metroid titles in those 10 years.
Echoes, maybe have been not as good as Prime 1, but was a sequel that kept up near the outstanding level Prime 1 set, wich is a really hard task.
Zero Mission, was a great remake and throwback, with a lot of added content.
Hunters, bad controllers and repetitive bosses, then everythig is just fine.
Corruption, this was the game wich demostrated about the Wii motion controllers where meant for, until Skyward Sword came out near the end of Wii's life span.
Not going to mention certain game, that sets people minds on fire, but thats only 1 bad game vs. 4 great games, i think Metroid quality can be arised again with a new 2D game accompanied with great ideas, i don't think the developers won't learn anything from past failures.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Would it be weird to say that Zero Mission was better than the Original? Also, I really like the Prime series. The only downside I had for Hunters is the repetitive bosses. But each of the other hunters were pretty cool to use.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Okay it may be your personal tastes about games, and i respect it, but we got amazing Metroid titles in those 10 years.
Echoes, maybe have been not as good as Prime 1, but was a sequel that kept up near the outstanding level Prime 1 set, wich is a really hard task.
Zero Mission, was a great remake and throwback, with a lot of added content.
Hunters, bad controllers and repetitive bosses, then everythig is just fine.
Corruption, this was the game wich demostrated about the Wii motion controllers where meant for, until Skyward Sword came out near the end of Wii's life span.
Not going to mention certain game, that sets people minds on fire, but thats only 1 bad game vs. 4 great games, i think Metroid quality can be arised again with a new 2D game accompanied with great ideas, i don't think the developers won't learn anything from past failures.
I forgot about Zero Mission, which is ironic since it was my introduction to the series back when it first was released. So yeah, that's one great game, probably my 3rd favorite in the whole series.

Echoes was a bit... eh. It just had so many frustrating aspects about it like ammo and taking damage outside of light zones. The light/dark world was something I've already tried in A Link to the Past where it was integrated better too. I also miss the great atmospheric variety that was in the first game, this time most of the places look alike, with the only standout places being Torvus Bog and the big robot place. The whole thing also felt very... detached from Metroid somehow. I mean, other than Dark Samus it really had little to do with the rest of the franchise, and has had left little impact since. It had a great soundtrack and a few select great boss battles though, namely Quadraxis.

I only beat the first boss in Hunters, then I couldn't go any further. I don't know if it's my hands that are too big, but it hurt to play, those controls were such a mess. The Hunters were kind of cool though, but probably still the Metroid villains that intrigued me the least. I still consider it the worst Metroid game I've played.

Corruption was another case of controls putting me off. I really am not a fan of motion controls, especially when I know the game is better played without it. While you can still lock-on, you still have to aim with the wii-mote, and that just felt like being handicapped after having that sure-fire lock-on from the other 2 games. I tried to make it at least to Omega Ridley since it looked like a really awesome fight with my favorite boss, but I didn't, couldn't go any further once I first got to Skytown, which is a shame since that place is beautiful. It's still better than Echoes and Hunters though, I like the different places, though they still do not match what made Metroid Prime 1 so great. I especially liked how Dark Samus corrupted the other Hunters too, and also the Leviathan seeds, it was a cool theme in general. I hope to be able to bear over with the controls one day and finish it, but it won't be anytime soon.

And Other M, well, I don't need to explain. I do think I have to say that it isn't as bad as Hunters though, because at least this was playable as long as you closed your eyes and put something in your ears when the cutscenes were playing.

So yeah, you're right, it comes down to personal taste. None of these games even touch Metroid Prime 1 or Super Metroid imo, except maybe Zero Mission. Fusion and Metroid 2 are also better than these, even if the latter is very unpolished, and they have got to at least reach that if they're up to standard imo. If the next Retro Metroid game plays like Corruption and Trilogy, then count me out. I'm just going to wait forever for the next sidescroller game, which could take forever as we've already been waiting soon 10 years, so I'm just supporting Ridley for Smash instead.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
On a completely different note: How many people do you think are gonna go crazy (in a bad way) when Ridley is revealed if he is revealed prior to a new Metroid game? The reason I ask is because Sakurai is trolling with his attempts to make it look like another game in each newcomer cinematic (other than Mega Man's), and so obviously that'd extend to a Metroid-mimicking video for Ridley before it's revealed to be for Smash. I can see people going crazy for his inclusion ... and then going crazy because it isn't actually a new Metroid.
I didn't realize people were so desperate for another Metroid.
Even moreso than for Ridley in Smash.

Found this video and saved it to my channel. It's Ridley's reveal.
Mario seems to have something....uh, on his face.

-----

majora_787

Smash Hero
In my opinion I really hope we don't see more 2d sidescrolling metroids. I mean it seems to be after Retro made the Prime Trilogy that the series was meant to be an immersive exploratory experience that can't be achieved in only two dimensions or in the third person perspective. Plus, boss fights, ESPECIALLY Ridley, are basically always cooler in the Prime Trilogy than in 2d Metroid. But opinions.

Mostly Ridley-unrelated opinions. Actually, We should discuss something more Ridley-related. Like exactly how purple he should be, on a scale from Super Metroid Artwork Red to Hideos Rotting Fusion Blue.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Would it be weird to say that Zero Mission was better than the Original? Also, I really like the Prime series. The only downside I had for Hunters is the repetitive bosses. But each of the other hunters were pretty cool to use.
No, because Zero Mission is better than the original.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I will give you that Ridley fights are cooler in 3D, if only for the Meta Ridley fight in Prime which is to date my favorite boss fight ever, but I sure felt immersed playing Super Metroid. If they're only going Prime-style, which could sadly be a reality given Miyamoto's comments on the series as of lately, the Sakamoto hate train, and the great reception of the trilogy, then I'm pretty much done with the franchise, which is sad to say since I'm crying tears of joy when playing a 2D sidescrolling Metroid.

Oh, and Ridley should be hex color #8648b7.

Btw, this guy's really got it when he discusses Ridley in the description of the image, which is pretty cool proportions-wise too: http://weyard.deviantart.com/art/SSB4-Newcomer-Ridley-262184703

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I will give you that Ridley fights are cooler in 3D, if only for the Meta Ridley fight in Prime which is to date my favorite boss fight ever, but I sure felt immersed playing Super Metroid. If they're only going Prime-style, which could sadly be a reality given Miyamoto's comments on the series as of lately, the Sakamoto hate train, and the great reception of the trilogy, then I'm pretty much done with the franchise, which is sad to say since I'm crying tears of joy when playing a 2D sidescrolling Metroid.

Oh, and Ridley should be hex color #8648b7.

Btw, this guy's really got it when he discusses Ridley in the description of the image, which is pretty cool proportions-wise too: http://weyard.deviantart.com/art/SSB4-Newcomer-Ridley-262184703

Well, I wouldn't put the 2-D Metroid games in the grave just yet. I can see another one happening. Maybe on the 3DS, perhaps following the story of Metroid Fusion. Much like the 2-D Zelda's are handheld now. Which to me, is better than nothing. And again, like Zelda, the 3-D games would be available on the home consoles.

Also, that's a cool picture of Ridley. Though I wouldn't personally give him black pupils. Normally his eyes are hard to see in detail.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I like Prime 1. I really do. (I haven't finished Prime 2; it's such a slog. I do wanna play Prime 3 though.) Prime 1 was a good game, and even a good Metroid game.

But I love Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission. I can't decide which of those three I like most, but I know I like all of them more than the Prime games.

To say that sidescrolling Metroids aren't as good as simply something I can't comprehend. Like...what? While I felt just as immersed in Prime 1 as I did in the sidescrolling ones, I found Prime 2 far less so (mainly I was going "ugggh" too much to stay immersed). Personally, I'd love another go at a third-person Metroid on the Wii U--one written by someone else. But I would adore another sidescrolling Metroid on the 3DS.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I like either of them just fine. Different styles of games, but they are fun and offer some good exploration.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, I wouldn't put the 2-D Metroid games in the grave just yet. I can see another one happening. Maybe on the 3DS, perhaps following the story of Metroid Fusion. Much like the 2-D Zelda's are handheld now. Which to me, is better than nothing. And again, like Zelda, the 3-D games would be available on the home consoles.

Also, that's a cool picture of Ridley. Though I wouldn't personally give him black pupils. Normally his eyes are hard to see in detail.
Would be great to have a Japanese team working on sidescrollers for the handheld while Retro works on Prime games, like with Prime 1 and Fusion and Prime 2 and Zero Mission. Would please both parts.

The picture was more in reference to proportions. I personally wouldn't make his pupils black either, and I wouldn't make his arms as cartoony either. He does have some great ideas though, especially in how he talks about making his wings slightly bigger during jumps and such.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Personally I was quite immersed in Super as the environments, the music and the enemies all came together and created this surreal alien world that you had to travel through. The softness of Lower Maridia's music to go along with the watery area, the intensity of traveling through Lower Norfair as you approach Ridley, there are many different levels like that in Super and at least for me, it being 2D did nothing to remove those effects. Super was still great at providing that feel and immersion despite it being 2D and I'd love to see other games in the franchise go for that same level.

As for the future of the franchise, either 2D or 3D appeal to me and I'd like more immersion like Prime or Super but if they're trying to push for a more story-driven game, do what Fusion did. It had flaws, but it still had a good level of immersion while balancing it out with the new story elements, something like that could actually be pulled off well if they manage to strike that balance.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I've read that one of the reasons why the few Japanese fans weren't as fond of Other M as Nintendo had hoped was because what they wanted was another 2-D sidescroller like Metroid (NES) and Super Metroid. Surprisingly, they hated the linear aspects of Metroid Fusion and the increased emphasis on plot, and wanted them to go back to their roots.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure the next Metroid game in development will be another 2-D sidescroller. I'm hoping that Intelligent Systems will take the reins of control away from Sakamoto.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think Metroid is probably beyond saving in Japan at this point. Super Metroid was the last game that performed well there, it seems that it was even too late when Zero Mission was released since it flopped big time in Japan too.

Wouldn't mind seeing Intelligent Systems's take on a Metroid game, I've been saying that I want a new company to try out their hand at the franchise for a while now.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think Metroid is probably beyond saving in Japan at this point. Super Metroid was the last game that performed well there, it seems that it was even too late when Zero Mission was released since it flopped big time in Japan too.

Wouldn't mind seeing Intelligent Systems's take on a Metroid game, I've been saying that I want a new company to try out their hand at the franchise for a while now.

They do a good job on the Paper Mario games, so why not? I'd actually like to see what Hal would do with Metroid. Really the only thing that 2-D Metroids need to do for the West is fix the two basic problems of Other M has had with most fans.

The first is being less linear. Having the player take Samus damn near anywhere, much like in the other titles. And being able to sequence brake. The second being the story, I see so many people complain about Other M's story for a multitude of reasons and if they manage to stray away from those issues then things should be fine.

Also, get Jennifer Hale(Prime 1's voice, did Jean Grey for X-Men stuff)to voice Samus' again, chances are she's going to talk about as much as Mario does, so she'll still need a voice.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Intelligent Systems has already contributed to the Metroid franchise with their work on Super Metroid and the GBA Metroid side-scrollers (I think). A side-scroller is something that I've wanted to see for a long time; don't get me wrong I love the Prime games, but I love the 2-D games even more.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Speaking of different companies working on different games, I really want Retro to take on a Zelda game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I actually don't really take Metroid having a story as a bad thing, however, it needs to be handled in the right way. I really feel that thus far they have really missed the most important part of Samus's story by only focusing on the Federation.

There are so many people who don't even know how Samus got her suit, why she is as super-human as she is. People don't really know Samus yet, unless they've read the Manga. A story should never be a driving force in a Metroid game, but for the love of pete, if you want a story in a Metroid game, choose the Chozo as the focus. Samus's time with them are what shaped her from being a cute little orphaned girl into becoming what she is today. If they could do that right, I'd be ecstatic.

On the other hand, I really don't want too much dialog or be stopped dead in my tracks in a sidescrolling game, so I'd prefer if it's saved for another kind of game.

Either way, that should be enough Metroid talk for now, at least on my part. Call me when Ridley is back.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I've read that one of the reasons why the few Japanese fans weren't as fond of Other M as Nintendo had hoped was because what they wanted was another 2-D sidescroller like Metroid (NES) and Super Metroid. Surprisingly, they hated the linear aspects of Metroid Fusion and the increased emphasis on plot, and wanted them to go back to their roots.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure the next Metroid game in development will be another 2-D sidescroller. I'm hoping that Intelligent Systems will take the reins of control away from Sakamoto.
Really? I thought Fusion was better received there, I must've got the wrong information.

Either way, yeah I can see that being the case especially if the Japanese fans wanted a 2D sidescroller more.

I actually don't really take Metroid having a story as a bad thing, however, it needs to be handled in the right way. I really feel that thus far they have really missed the most important part of Samus's story by only focusing on the Federation.

There are so many people who don't even know how Samus got her suit, why she is as super-human as she is. People don't really know Samus yet, unless they've read the Manga. A story should never be a driving force in a Metroid game, but for the love of pete, if you want a story in a Metroid game, choose the Chozo as the focus. Samus's time with them are what shaped her from being a cute little orphaned girl into becoming what she is today. If they could do that right, I'd be ecstatic.

On the other hand, I really don't want too much dialog or be stopped dead in my tracks in a sidescrolling game, so I'd prefer if it's saved for another kind of game.

Either way, that should be enough Metroid talk for now, at least on my part. Call me when Ridley is back.
Agreed, granted the Chozo are supposed to be more posthumous in terms of storytelling but their importance to the character of Samus far outweighs anything in the Federation. Even if it's just snippets of her past to keep that mystery, that would do much more to flesh out Samus and the Chozo's importance to her. The same could be said about Ridley as well to a lesser extent as the closest we've got in the games about their relationship is the controversial scene and Samus mentioning him as her archnemesis.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Keeshu

Smash Ace
For the longest time I didn't know where Samus got her suit, I found out about it from other people. Which kind of helped with the start of Metroid Prime because if you don't know that you'll be going "who is this person they guys are talking about?" for half the Chozo scans.

Though personally, I like it when games tell a story by showing you or making you act out the story. If I'm going to read text, I'd rather read a book. It also leads a little towards to the individual's interpretation sometimes if done right, which can make it so people make the story more awesome than it actually is.

I really need to get my hand on the GBA metroid games and Other M (cutscenes and story are bleh, but the gameplay looks really fun, but then again I loved playing Ninja Gaiden 2 for the short time someone let me borrow it). Currently Super metroid > Prime 2 > Prime 1 > Original Metroid when it comes to what I like.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I forgot about Zero Mission, which is ironic since it was my introduction to the series back when it first was released. So yeah, that's one great game, probably my 3rd favorite in the whole series.

Echoes was a bit... eh. It just had so many frustrating aspects about it like ammo and taking damage outside of light zones. The light/dark world was something I've already tried in A Link to the Past where it was integrated better too. I also miss the great atmospheric variety that was in the first game, this time most of the places look alike, with the only standout places being Torvus Bog and the big robot place. The whole thing also felt very... detached from Metroid somehow. I mean, other than Dark Samus it really had little to do with the rest of the franchise, and has had left little impact since. It had a great soundtrack and a few select great boss battles though, namely Quadraxis.

I only beat the first boss in Hunters, then I couldn't go any further. I don't know if it's my hands that are too big, but it hurt to play, those controls were such a mess. The Hunters were kind of cool though, but probably still the Metroid villains that intrigued me the least. I still consider it the worst Metroid game I've played.

Corruption was another case of controls putting me off. I really am not a fan of motion controls, especially when I know the game is better played without it. While you can still lock-on, you still have to aim with the wii-mote, and that just felt like being handicapped after having that sure-fire lock-on from the other 2 games. I tried to make it at least to Omega Ridley since it looked like a really awesome fight with my favorite boss, but I didn't, couldn't go any further once I first got to Skytown, which is a shame since that place is beautiful. It's still better than Echoes and Hunters though, I like the different places, though they still do not match what made Metroid Prime 1 so great. I especially liked how Dark Samus corrupted the other Hunters too, and also the Leviathan seeds, it was a cool theme in general. I hope to be able to bear over with the controls one day and finish it, but it won't be anytime soon.

And Other M, well, I don't need to explain. I do think I have to say that it isn't as bad as Hunters though, because at least this was playable as long as you closed your eyes and put something in your ears when the cutscenes were playing.

So yeah, you're right, it comes down to personal taste. None of these games even touch Metroid Prime 1 or Super Metroid imo, except maybe Zero Mission. Fusion and Metroid 2 are also better than these, even if the latter is very unpolished, and they have got to at least reach that if they're up to standard imo. If the next Retro Metroid game plays like Corruption and Trilogy, then count me out. I'm just going to wait forever for the next sidescroller game, which could take forever as we've already been waiting soon 10 years, so I'm just supporting Ridley for Smash instead.
I get your point. After all supporting Ridley is really one of the priorities right now since SSB4 is a game already announced, confirmed and everything, while we don't know anything about a new Metroid, i would definitely prefer a sidescroller, maybe a remake of Super Metroid or Metroid II, or something new i'll be sold.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Nahhh. Super Paper Mario was excellent, but it wasn't really a Paper Mario game. Neither was Sticker Star. They were both so different.

I want a return to the original formula, as well as more Super Paper Mario games. They're both fantastic.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
so you want a back to basics paper mario game?

thats great and all, but this is the Ridley thread.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The thing with sidescrolling Metroids is, they're either Super Metroid, which is pretty good but has issues that stem from being locked in two dimensions as well as the fact that it is a 90's game, Zero Mission which is a sidescroller because of the Gameboy Advance and being a remake of the first game which was a sidescroller, OR they're just not very good. At all. And I mean caves are nice and all, but the Prime Trilogy opened up a lot of doors in the Metroid universe and you'd frequently be seeing a lot of life going on on the surface of the planets as well as underground which a whole array of worldbuilding qualities that other Metroid games generally don't have.

I guess I just feel like 3D Metroid is better than 2D Metroid at everything except being in two dimensions(obviously) and platforming to a point. And I feel like if it reverted to being 2d metroids forever it would lose a lot of possibilities, or would be forced to return to a lot of its old mistakes.

BUT opinions. In other news, I wish Paper Mario would return to its normal formula as much as I enjoyed Super Paper Mario myself. I also want it to include Ridley. Because Paper Ridley is significantly smaller in the 3rd dimension, and is even less possible to call "too big".

Top Bottom