• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Morbi

Scavenger
@Morbid:
Hence why you shouldn't question what I say to someone else. :troll:
Chances are, I'm addressing the proper context.

@Majora:
There were only two Newcomers shown off in the month of October; Sonic and Dedede.
Pretty sure Dedede was finished before Sonic.
Yes, I was actually thinking the very same when I finished typing it up... but I didn't want the typing to go to waste. So I just went with it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
@Morbid:
Hence why you shouldn't question what I say to someone else. :troll:
Chances are, I'm addressing the proper context.

@Majora:
There were only two Newcomers shown off in the month of October; Sonic and Dedede.
Pretty sure Dedede was finished before Sonic.
Lucas was also revealed in October.

And like I said. You literally cannot prove that unless you have a comprehensive development schedule for Brawl. You can "probably" and "pretty sure" all you want but that doesn't actually change this. It is not IMPOSSIBLE that Sonic was finished around the same time in 2007 as any character between the 4 revealed in the latter have of 2007, but was still revealed after them.

And unless you're going to agree with the belief that "request automatically decides reveal order" there's not even a point in arguing over this. Because it is an example that can be true just as easily as false that facilitates my original point.

D

Deleted member

.....it's like you don't even read the sources that are given....

But whatever, it has nothing to do with Ridley. There's really no purpose in pursuing this further, so it'd be best if I dropped this.

majora_787

Smash Hero
.....it's like you don't even read the sources that are given....
Do you have a comprehensive schedule of Brawl's development to show me that proves with 100% factual information that what I am saying is literally not possible in the slightest? Like I said. You can "seriously doubt" and "most likely not" all you want. But that doesn't actually change what I'm saying.

EDIT: After your questioning of my ability to read, I finally found what it was you were talking about specifically. I'd say I appreciate how you handled this speed bump in the conversation, but I don't.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm done with the conversation and don't plan on having any more even remotely like that the way Golden participated.

Getting back on track to Ridley though. I guess it's possible that Sakurai doesn't have to use the Other M Ridley design, but I imagine he would for consistency with Samus. I mean in-series consistency is a thing that generally happens, right? I mean except for Toon Link because he is made to be the exception to that. And Fire Emblem characters because the series doesn't work that way.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I'm done with the conversation and don't plan on having any more even remotely like that the way Golden participated.

Getting back on track to Ridley though. I guess it's possible that Sakurai doesn't have to use the Other M Ridley design, but I imagine he would for consistency with Samus. I mean in-series consistency is a thing that generally happens, right? I mean except for Toon Link because he is made to be the exception to that. And Fire Emblem characters because the series doesn't work that way.
With how much he's been stressing that everything is Other M, I'd be shocked not to see his Other M design.

Pleasantly, mind you.

Morbi

Scavenger

It isn't necessarily a rule, I think he will choose the design that is the easiest to program. I honestly think he chose the Other M Samus just to change things up; it isn't like Ridley has retained a stagnant design for 3 games. So there is no obligation to design him alluding to a certain game, I think that once more Zelda characters are revealed we will have a better idea of how he is going to treat consistency within a series.

Most Ridley fans hate is Other M design too. So it would be weird for Sakurai to go with the most relevant design just "because".

majora_787

Smash Hero
With how much he's been stressing that everything is Other M, I'd be shocked not to see his Other M design.

Pleasantly, mind you.
I can't even complain about Other M's design because I am entirely convinced it would look at least 100% cooler in Smash Bros. than in Other M anyway.

Morbi

Scavenger
I can't even complain about Other M's design because I am entirely convinced it would look at least 100% cooler in Smash Bros. than in Other M anyway.
I am just a little worried about how it will look on the 3DS to be honest. The texture might completely change like it did with Donkey Kong.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I honestly like Ridley's concept art for the game, so if they just rendered it better I'm sure it would look good.

D

Deleted member

It's going to be dog-lizard Ridley anyway. :troll:

At least no one can claim he's too big. There's even a sketched size comparison between him and Samus. :awesome:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It isn't necessarily a rule, I think he will choose the design that is the easiest to program. I honestly think he chose the Other M Samus just to change things up; it isn't like Ridley has retained a stagnant design for 3 games. So there is no obligation to design him alluding to a certain game, I think that once more Zelda characters are revealed we will have a better idea of how he is going to treat consistency within a series.

Most Ridley fans hate is Other M design too. So it would be weird for Sakurai to go with the most relevant design just "because".
And there's a great many who hated Samus' Other M design (at least, relative to previous Metroids) and felt the same way about it being in the game yet here we are. Ridley's design would be no exception in that regard, and besides he can always update it so that it looks a lot better and works better.

Also, I've seen just as many comments say the opposite and Other M's design would be easier to work with due to it being bulkier. Either way, we have no clue which design would be easier to implement.

Morbi

Scavenger
And there's a great many who hated Samus' Other M design (at least, relative to previous Metroids) and felt the same way about it being in the game now yet here we are. Ridley's design would be no exception in that regard, and besides he can always update it so that it looks a lot better.

Also, I've seen just as many comments say the opposite and Other M's design would be easier to work with due to it being bulkier. We have no clue which design would be easier to implement as we're not Sakurai nor do we work in building characters like he would.
I wasn't implying that Other M Ridley would be more difficult. I was just asserting that he would be wise to pick the easiest one to program. I actually don't mind whatever Ridley design they choose. I do hate Other M Samus, but I am just happy that she finally got a change. I don't think series consistency is as relevant as many assume it is, that might just be me though.

Morbi

Scavenger
Just shave him and give him a pair of wings, and he's good to go. :troll:
I wish that Sakurai actually chose that design. I just want people to actually get mad at something, I thought Rosalina would be that something... but no.

"Everyone thought that Ridrey-san was too big, so we decided to use a smaller design to make everyone happy desu ka!"

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I wish that Sakurai actually chose that design. I just want people to actually get mad at something, I thought Rosalina would be that something... but no.

"Everyone thought that Ridrey-san was too big, so we decided to use a smaller design to make everyone happy desu ka!"
I don't really get the mentality to want someone to be mad. Even then the Smash community is pretty hard to piss off, at least when it comes to characters. Wii Fit Trainer has been accepted, I'm sure a hairy Ridley will be accepted too.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm fine with whatever design they choose for Ridley. Except the Western illustration for Ridley in the NES Metroid, that one was plug-ugly.

This more or less applies to the Oasis_S's size comparisons, but I think the SNES Ridley should be added to the examples of where Ridley isn't always big. He's one of the smallest bosses in the game, possibly even smaller than Torizo, and only looks big because of his head and crouched position. Heck, if you try to compare him with King K. Rool in DKC1, you'll find that they're just about nearly identical in height.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't really get the mentality to want someone to be mad. Even then the Smash community is pretty hard to piss off, at least when it comes to characters. Wii Fit Trainer has been accepted, I'm sure a hairy Ridley will be accepted too.
I don't know, I just think it is funny when people are disappointed or mad. It entertains me... some people just want to watch the world burn.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't know, I just think it is funny when people are disappointed or mad. It entertains me... some people just want to watch the world burn.
After the R.O.B incident, I think it's hard for the Smash community to really go nuts. The closest we'll probably get is when the final roster is revealed, and there's no {insert somewhat popular character here} on it. In Brawl it was Ridley and Krystal fans who went nuts.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
"Hairy Ridley".

Why does that sound so inherently funny?

Because it sounds like a redneck name or a nickname for a body part.

And because both words end in a "y", a letter that makes you smile as you say it.

D

Deleted member

@BKuppa: *points to Adolescent Ridley* "You're a lizard, Hairy!"

EDIT: Ah, that's what next. The other troll returns.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
On a completely different note: How many people do you think are gonna go crazy (in a bad way) when Ridley is revealed if he is revealed prior to a new Metroid game? The reason I ask is because Sakurai is trolling with his attempts to make it look like another game in each newcomer cinematic (other than Mega Man's), and so obviously that'd extend to a Metroid-mimicking video for Ridley before it's revealed to be for Smash. I can see people going crazy for his inclusion ... and then going crazy because it isn't actually a new Metroid.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, some people will probably be a bit butthurt about it, which I'm sure Sakurai intents either way.

Ironically I want Ridley in Smash over a new Metroid game. Not only because the quality of the franchise in the past 10 years hasn't been up to standards, but also because I play Smash much more regularly than any other game, Ridley as a playable character would affect me much more than playing through a new Metroid Prime once or twice.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Considering there hasn't been a word on Ridley in Smash, I think there is plenty of opportunity for Ridley to be revealed around E3 just because of the hype and the fact that it's E3.

That and I could see them announcing Ridley after a Metroid game reveal. I think we can all agree Ridley is one of the best characters for a cinematic reveal. Luckily that's what they're doing this time.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So we're talking about which designs should be used for Ridley? The Other M design seems to be the most plausible to go along with Samus having that design as well. Much like how Link, Zelda, and Ganon had their Ocarina of Time designs in Melee and then changed to the Twilight Princess designs in Brawl. But Ridley's most iconic look would be the Super Metroid look, so that's a possible contender too. Which, honestly I would prefer the Super Metroid design myself.

Oh, and I guess there's a small chance of Meta-Ridley being used as a his default option. But it's far more fitting to have Meta-Ridley as an alternate costume instead.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
So we're talking about which designs should be used for Ridley? The Other M design seems to be the most plausible to go along with Samus having that design as well. Much like how Link, Zelda, and Ganon had their Ocarina of Time designs in Melee and then changed to the Twilight Princess designs in Brawl. But Ridley's most iconic look would be the Super Metroid look, so that's a possible contender too. Which, honestly I would prefer the Super Metroid design myself.

Oh, and I guess there's a small chance of Meta-Ridley being used as a his default option. But it's far more fitting to have Meta-Ridley as an alternate costume instead.
Oh if Ridleys confirmed 97% sure it will be his other m body

Who's knows if confirmed he might be January's character anybody is possible because of Marths confirm

Top Bottom