• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I believe it was "This was the site of Samus's trauma."
Well, under this light, I think Ridley's chances are a little bit healthier.
What did Sakurai say in those other pictures of the holes?

What if we get only the middle Ridley evolution because he's of the right size? lol

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Well, under this light, I think Ridley's chances are a little bit healthier.
What did Sakurai say in those other pictures of the holes?
"Inside the corridor along one of the walls in Pyrosphere, a view that's really not visible in-game. You can't tell from the picture, but it's actually a gigantic open space."

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
"Inside the corridor along one of the walls in Pyrosphere, a view that's really not visible in-game. You can't tell from the picture, but it's actually a gigantic open space."
I meant the original message, the direct translation. I don't think he mentioned Ridley anyway if the english translation didn't, so it's not important.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Nah, Ridley hasn't been specifically mentioned in either english or japanese translations. Very vaguely referred to in the japanese picture of the Pyrosphere picture, almost directly referred to in the english version. Maybe it has to do with his overseas popularity, but there's no telling right now.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Dude, I meant Ridley would be "Boss" as in "cool". Not as in "A boss". Sorry for the mix-up.
WATCH YO STEP BOI

this is srsz bzness

don't let me catch you outta line again

Let me (pretend) troll better.

MARIO IS A BIG DEAL, METROID IS NOT!

ROSALINA IS THE NEW BREED! SUCK IT RIDDLER!!!!
NOT THE RIDDLER HE is MY ONE TRUE WEAKNESS
tell me where the trophies arrrre

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think Rosalina helps Ridleys case. If Sakurai was willing to basically make the dumpy little Luma a playable character with his non-existant limbs then what's to say he can't do the opposite?
On top of that, again, it's a main character getting confirmed. Rosalina is now the 5th most important Mario franchise character (although you could fairly argue Bowser Jr). She's been playable a lot (Mario KArt Wii, 7, and 8, Mario 3D World, etc), she's had a role in all the recent home console Mario games (NEW Mario U doesn't count for anything ever), and she's clearly here to stay.

It also shows us Sakurai wants "different" characters, not more of the same. Villager, Mega Man, the Wii Fit Trainer, and Rosalina are all very "different" from characters we've played as before in Smash. Ridley could easily fit into that category as well (and on a different note, so could Little Mac, K. Rool, a revamped Mewtwo, Isaac, and Shulk).

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The evolution mechanic would take some time to get used to. But if Sakurai can make it flow as well as he made the Luma flow, then I think it could work really well, despite being disappointing that it isn't full time Ridley.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
ridley won't be in the next game

my uncle works for sora ltd

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
NOT THE RIDDLER HE is MY ONE TRUE WEAKNESS
tell me where the trophies arrrre
In a Valley
you must play
wait for night
to become today

To find what is new
Spin around after the brew
See the light that is ever true
And the answer will be right in front of you
[collapse="spoiler alert"]The Mr. Saturn's Tea Table in Saturn Valley in one of the tea cups on the tea table![/collapse]

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
"The trauma of Samus also might appear."
At least through literal translation.

So while Ridley caused trauma, he isn't the trauma itself.
Eh, grasping at straws here. He's talking about Ridley. The question is if he means as a playable character or a stage hazard, but I'm leaning towards the second.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Just when I thought nessokman couldn't get any more ridiculous, now he's saying that Rosalina's reveal disconfirms Ridley?

I actually feel pity.
Now, did I outright say it "deconfirms" Ridley? No, Don't try to put words in my mouth, that is unless they are sarcastic and vicious words that make people cry.Those are fun words.

If I were sakurai, I would make prime Ridley as a badass stage hazard. Then make other m Ridley playable. Here is possible other m Ridley would be-

-slow, like... 5,000,000 times slower than Gannon
-Extremely light, only 2 jumps like everyone else.
- His up-special meteor smashes himself.
-His attacks only do 1% of damage for each hit, and does 999% damage to Ridley himself.
- his taunts are instant death to himself.
- every time he moves, he trips
- If he is fighting samus, samus instantly wins

at least he'd be in the game.

Thank god I'm not sakurai, right?

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
I'd be totally down with the evolution mechanic thing. It could be really cool if done right. Of course I don't actually have any interest in Ridley as a character so that probably helps.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The issue with him being a stage hazard is that he hasn't been seen in any screenshot or video footage of the stage whatsoever. As a stage hazard he would presumably be flying around the stage, but no part of the stage is being ignored like with say... Spirit Train. Meanwhile, most other hazards of the sort have already been shown with the stage. Like Yellow Devil, or possibly the Find Mii thing.

And even then on the off chance that there are just lots of pictures and video footage when the large moving stage hazard is somewhere just off camera all the time, it is Sakurai explicitly ripping off another fighting game. Something I don't see him doing.

This in and of itself doesn't make him playable, but a stage hazard is kind of questionable at best.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Eh, grasping at straws here. He's talking about Ridley. The question is if he means as a playable character or a stage hazard, but I'm leaning towards the second.
I don't see how it's grasping at straws, that scene is easily the most well known from the game and referring to it serves as a reminder to it. Essentially it could just be a reference to that scene, not a hint at him being a hazard.

Also, even if he is referring to the character, Sakurai has done this before with other characters such as mentioning Epona in the Gerudo stage and we haven't had any hints of them appearing either.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
"The trauma of Samus also might appear."
At least through literal translation.

So while Ridley caused trauma, he isn't the trauma itself.
Literally yes but sub textually the word they used for "appear"(登場) isn't something you would use for something non-physical like "trama", in fact as far as I know it's mostly used to refer a character's appearance on stage(or scene) entrances or similar. I think that's the reason why the translator changed the phrase to something more concretely referring to a character, since the subtext is there in the Japanese but it's lost in a direct translation. All in all I really don't think there's much difference between the Japanese and English quotes.

D

Deleted member

You asked for the literal translation, I gave it to you.
It's not grasping at straws.
He did not say "an enemy of Samus" like the English version gave or even a synonym. He said "サムスのトラウマ", which is literally "Trauma of Samus". Ridley is not Samus' trauma. He is the trigger of Samus' trauma. Not the same thing.

So literally, Sakurai is saying we could see Samus have a trauma attack (just like in Other M). That may correlate with Ridley's appearance, given that he is the trigger, but it could easily be a passing nod to Other M like other game nods in pictures considering that the stage is the site of the trauma attack.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
He did not say "an enemy of Samus" like the English version gave or even a synonym. He said "サムスのトラウマ", which is literally "Trauma of Samus". Ridley is not Samus' trauma. He is the trigger of Samus' trauma. Not the same thing.

So literally, Sakurai is saying we could see Samus have a trauma attack (just like in Other M). That may correlate with Ridley's appearance, given that he is the trigger, but it could easily be a passing nod to Other M like other game nods in pictures considering that the stage is the site of the trauma attack.

I guess we'll wait to know, as always. Damn Sakurai.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Now...

Correct me if I'm wrong but...

I heard that the way the word "trauma" is used implies that the "trauma" is a person and not just a reference to trauma in general.

I've heard this from Venus and he lives in Japan. Is he right?

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
While we were all clearly gluing our eyes on the holes in the Pyrosphere during the Rosalina trailer (Rosalina - "...Hey, what are you guys looking at!? I'm over here! This is MY trailer, so pay attention!") , I've yet to notice anybody mention how the imagery behind the holes most definitely a good distance away. It's definitely something that could not be viewed just by looking at the Daily Pics. It also matches up with Sakurai's statement that the area behind the holes is indeed HUGE. I gotta wonder why they did it that way.

...Also did I see a THIRD hole during the trailer??? And I don't mean the one with lava gushing out. There's the hole above the door, the one further to the right that looks like tear, and then I thought I saw another hole just below the door. I have to look at the trailer again.

In any case, that's not all I wanted to post. After seeing and dwelling on Rosalina's reveal and her creative looking moveset, I think its creativity inspired me toward making a new Ridley moveset. It's just that her moveset really is creative and clearly something few considered. If this is the level of uniqueness Sakurai is aiming for AND succeeding at producing...

...Rather than give in and assume that Ridley may not have what it takes to be that unique, an alternate idea birthed in my head that I now need to flesh out. A Ridley moveset that does not care how "complicated" a character Ridley is. In fact, forget that. Let's just assume that if Sakurai had a great idea for a character concept he really wanted to pursue and thought was well in the realm of possibility, he'd do it and not concern himself with time. Additionally, we keep saying "canon doesn't matter", so I'm gonna stick to that mantra and not concern myself with how anti-canon my idea is.

Eventually, what I produce isn't necessarily going to be "way out there", but it certainly should be enough that it would absolutely set Ridley apart as his own unique character, nothing like Bowser or Charizard. And that Other M metamorphosis crap will NOT have a part in my moveset. e_e

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Looking forward to the moveset, Anomilus. Tbh though I was looking at Rosalina as much as I was the holes.

Why would Ridley we anything but a boss in Metroid? Do you want Ridley's Inside Story to be won over? We don't have Ganondorf's Inside Story, but he's still in. He's quite a bit more than just another boss too, but eh, what's the point in explaining?
lol Ridley's Inside Story... So many things that could be done with such a game.

D

Deleted member

@Swamp: Going by my limited knowledge of the Japanese language, I don't think there's a difference in terms that would be used (only case I know is to designate inanimate objects and living objects in terms of existance; 'imasu" for living, "arimasu" for inanimate).

You'd have to discuss with Venus on that.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
*browsing thread when suddenly*

Why would Ridley be anything but a boss in Metroid? Do you want Ridley's Inside Story to be won over? We don't have Ganondorf's Inside Story, but he's still in. He's quite a bit more than just another boss too, but eh, what's the point in explaining?
Why would Ridley we anything but a boss in Metroid? Do you want Ridley's Inside Story to be won over?
Ridley's Inside Story

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I looked at the rosalina trailer theres no 3rd hole in the pyrosphere and her trailer helps ridley because still no sign of him on the stage so still not a stage hazard but its still a big stage

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
...Also did I see a THIRD hole during the trailer??? And I don't mean the one with lava gushing out. There's the hole above the door, the one further to the right that looks like tear, and then I thought I saw another hole just below the door. I have to look at the trailer again.
I'm pretty sure that hole was there since the beginning. As you can see in this picture, the match between Bowser and Samus is probably just starting. And considering that Ridley is pretty much the Metroid equivalent to Bowser in terms of prominence, maybe it's just foreshadowing?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure that hole was there since the beginning. As you can see in this picture, the match between Bowser and Samus is probably just starting. And considering that Ridley is pretty much the Metroid equivalent to Bowser in terms of prominence, maybe it's just foreshadowing?

That and the one above the door is the one he made and it was to escape from the pyrosphere

No Control

Smash Apprentice
Loving that Pyrosphere was shown in the Rosalina trailer and still no Ridley. If he's a stage hazard he won't fit through those holes without bursting them open, surely? Ironically, as a stage hazard he may be too big to not be playable!

Top Bottom