• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I still believe Zero Suit Samus will appear before we finally learn of Ridley's fate. While the contrary possibility always exists, I do think that's what will occur. Sensibly, it's likely any newcomers for an already represented series will not appear until all its veterans have first surfaced.

Doubt it'll be soon either. Next month I predict Diddy Kong followed shortly by our next newcomer, also from the DK series. :o

Ascended

Smash Ace
Other M was all about motherhood but it was super subtle.

Therefore, MOTHER Brain would be more appropriate. :troll:

But seriously, I'd much rather see the actually iconic Mother Brain in crazy HD amazing graphics and hear her amazingly intimidating theme remixed than that poopy Xenomorph Metroid Queen.
MB the android for a boss?

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Hey, maybe Sakurai will believe ZSS isn't fit to fight after her traumatic experience in Other M.

"Samus decided to remain in her Power Suit for safety. It remains on as long as she's in full control of her mental state."

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Wow. So much heartfelt stuff on here. Regardless if Ridley is in it or not, I will still probably get the game but as others have said it will feel like the roster is incomplete. (And as for the characters revealed right now the only one I am truly excited about is Villager.)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Yeah, that's exactly what this game needs. A pixel hunt boss!
Hey, maybe Sakurai will believe ZSS isn't fit to fight after her traumatic experience in Other M.
"Samus decided to remain in her Power Suit for safety. It remains on as long as she's in full control of her mental state."

Yeeeeeeeeeahhhhhhhhhh...
I'd really like if there was as little reference to that as possible.

But I know that's an impossibility, so I'm just hoping we won't have Samus bursting into tears or waiting for Adam to authorize her victory for her taunts and victory poses...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

After months the boxing ring was shown to have a new feature...

Yipe.

D

Deleted member

The concept of the Ridley stage hazard has always been a possibility. (But not an absolute like some people want to act like)
This update doesn't really change that.

....though it does kind of render the "hasn't shown it by this point so it's not likely to happen" mindset to be shaky....

Morbi

Scavenger
The concept of the Ridley stage hazard has always been a possibility. (But not an absolute like some people want to act like)

....though it does kind of render the "hasn't shown it by this point so it's not likely to happen" mindset to be shaky....
The mentality was never feasible to begin with, I mean really? Has no one completely and utterly refuted that fallacious mind-set yet?

D

Deleted member

No.
There hasn't been a counterpoint worth a crap.
Until today, that is.

Odds are honestly dead even. Could be playable, could be a hazard.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The bomb train on the Spirit Tracks stage already showed that we'd see changes to long-time announced stages, so you could argue that it already began there. However, this proves that even stages that are shown very often can suddenly be changed. So yeah, we're pretty much on the edge again.

D

Deleted member

All I know is, if he is a hazard, he better be able to fly in from the side, grab a character, and auto-KO them with a "special" death animation where he grinds them against the wall in the background and chucks them to the lava below.

Morbi

Scavenger
No.
There hasn't been a counterpoint worth a crap.
Until today, that is.

Odds are honestly dead even. Could be playable, could be a hazard.
Random assumptions based on an assumption in regards to what Sakurai would/wouldn't reveal was considered plausible? Has no one brought up Yoshi... I mean seriously?

"Sakurai hasn't revealed one of the biggest reveals of the game (that might not even be finished yet as he is one of the more difficult characters to develop) because he would have revealed it earlier BECAUSE pyrosphere", was considered a rational argument?

No wonder the "too big" argument is considered thoroughly refuted on this sub-forum...

D

Deleted member

No, the argument was that Ridley not being shown as a hazard by now, long after the stage had been shown off and given multiple pictures and even video footage, as compared to Yellow Devil and the Dark Emperor who have both been shown off along with the stages they preside on, made it seem unlikely that he'd actually be one.

If that is considered unrational while the ******** "too big" argument is, something's wrong.

EDIT: Yoshi is a horrible counterpoint, considering
a) He doesn't have to be shown off for people to know he's playable.
b) It's comparing a character reveal to a (hypothetical) stage hazard reveal.

Morbi

Scavenger
No, the argument was that Ridley not being shown as a hazard by now, long after the stage had been shown off and given multiple pictures and even video footage, as compared to Yellow Devil and the Dark Emperor who have both been shown off along with the stages they preside on, made it seem unlikely that he'd actually be one.

If that is considered unrational while the ******** "too big" argument is, something's wrong.

EDIT: Yoshi is a horrible counterpoint, considering
a) He doesn't have to be shown off for people to know he's playable.
b) It's comparing a character reveal to a (hypothetical) stage hazard reveal.
No that wasn't my point, the premise of that argument was that making an assumption based on an assumption of what SAKURAI (Mr. Unpredictable) would do is irrational. It could apply to any character not already revealed. The convenience of the stage is irrelevant. That isn't the basis for the argument. The initial argument's notion is that Ridley wasn't shown yet, so he isn't going to be in the game. It doesn't matter if Sakurai chose to take a screen-shot when there wasn't a stage-hazard. That doesn't change the circumstances correlating to the pictures shown as Sakurai shows us what he wants us to see. Minus Zelda's leg, of course.

So essentially the argument is, we haven't seen it yet, so it isn't there. That is one of the stupidest rationales I have ever had the displeasure of reading about.

D

Deleted member

"Wasn't shown yet, so isn't going to be in the game"
That isn't even what's being argued. At all.

Welp, yet another strawman I've had displeasure reading. Not even going to touch this one.
Just gonna wait for the "you don't understand what I'm saying" lecture and trololo.

Morbi

Scavenger
"Wasn't shown yet, so isn't going to be in the game"
That isn't even what's being argued. At all.

Welp, yet another strawman I've had displeasure reading. Not even going to touch this one.
Just gonna wait for the "you don't understand what I'm saying" lecture and trololo.
That isn't what is being argued?

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
This argument is painful to read.

Hey, look guys, a Ridley-flavored distraction!
This hasn't been shared on the thread before! Right?! It has?! I don't care, it's Ridley!

D

Deleted member

And no, "Ridley not being shown as a hazard yet in comparison to Yellow Devil and Dark Emperor makes it unlikely he actually is one" is not the same as "Ridley hasn't been shown as hazard yet, so he's not in the game/is 100% not a hazard for sure".
One deals with probabilities (my statement), the other deals with absolutes (your strawman).

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The argument was that after so much focus on Pyrosphere in so many pictures, it seemed like there was nothing more to it than what we initially saw. Heck, all that Sakurai had to talk about regarding the stage was the details of the hole, making it seem like he really had to dig deep to talk about anything in regards to the stage (unlike say the Galaxy stage where he talked about the gravity feature first AND the background elements right off the bat for example.) Every other picture on Pyrosphere was showcasing character features or new items, so it seemed like that was it for the Pyrosphere.

However, of course we see now that Sakurai comes back to old stages and shows what might have changed over time.

Even if it was just an assumption (which is what pre-Smash discussion just is: assumptions) it's still a ton more rational than the "too big" argument.

Morbi

Scavenger
This argument is painful to read.

Hey, look guys, a Ridley-flavored distraction!

This hasn't been shared on the thread before! Right?! It has?! I don't care, it's Ridley!
Golden and I tend to have arguments about the most menial things. :urg:

How about I draw another correlation to the "too big" argument. Both are inherently flawed based on their premises. You can attempt to justify it all you want. Claiming an assumption based on an assumption based on irrelevant screen-shots (that only show portions of the stage) is plausible until you die, it doesn't make the perspective rational.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If only you didn't make strawmen arguments....

By the way, check under the trololo.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
As Wariofan1 said, there's always a possibility that the stage could be changed after being shown, this just cements it even further. I'm still somewhat skeptical on the matter since I feel a hazard like Ridley would be more along the lines of Dark Emperor rather then ropes on the stage which is less notable by comparison, but you never know.

Days like these make me wish I could forward time and see what all this means, but that's speculation for you, sometimes we just won't know until everything's on the table.

D

Deleted member

It isn't a straw-man fallacy, if you care to elaborate on that proclamation, I would appreciate it. Your examples (other stage hazards) do not pertain to this situation as there is no correlation between them aside from the notion that they are stages. Is it really so absurd that Sakurai would selectively show screen-shots that do not contain Pyrosphere's stage-hazard to maintain the suspense and speculation? Unfathomable.
>Claim they don't pertain
>States HOW they pertain

Seriously?
And you think your Yoshi example pertains?

Yes, yes it is absurd to think that Sakurai would deliberately leave out any viewings of Ridley the Stage Hazard for the sake of suspense and speculation.

Morbi

Scavenger
>Claim they don't pertain
>States HOW they pertain

Seriously?
And you think your Yoshi example pertains?

Yes, yes it is absurd to think that Sakurai would deliberately leave out any viewings of Ridley the Stage Hazard for the sake of suspense and speculation.
Here we go again, I set up a nice little PM and everything.

That was my point, if the Yoshi example doesn't pertain, the stage-hazard examples are not pertinent to the argument either as you wish to water down the argument to specifics.

Are you trolling in that last part though, it is absurd to think that Sakurai would leave out Ridley for a later date, you do realize he crops these images, right? I mean Ridley is pretty big, but deliberately withholding information that he might want to reveal later is certainly not out of the question.

EDIT: OOPS WRONG THREAD
I know how you feel bro

Oh and your Booker DeWitt again, which I'm already used to.
Other M was all about motherhood da baby
Shield activated : It was a good game imo. Not as good as Prime but still good imo. imo. imo. imo. imo. Will be tagged as bad opinion but who cares.

da babyda babyda babyda babyda babyda babyda babyda babyda babyda babyda babyda babyda baby

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
man this update really sucks for are space dragon's chances. also does anyone have sakurai jpn miiverse comment for pyrosphere?

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
...Still counting on Zero Suit Samus before Ridley. I've also at some point have said that Ridley may have just not been completed at the time when Pyrosphere was being revealed.

It's a game currently in development. Anything is subject to change. Even Sakurai himself informs us of this. If it's an element yet revealed or a variable, it falls under uncertainty.

Today's update has changed nothing. We don't know if this rope thing has been around since day 1 and Sakurai is simply just getting around to showing it. It probably has been. All that's changed is our own knowledge and some people's perceptions.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Zero Mission has its 10th year anniversary in February in America and May in Japan, so those are possible months to reveal ZSS, though I'm not counting on anniversaries myself.

ZSS is probably going to be revealed in the same manner as Marth, completely random. I'm not sure if she has to be revealed before Ridley though, she's a veteran now and could likely be handled like Sheik did on the Brawl Dojo, aka transformations are saved for last.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Hmm.... unless we get an international Direct this month instead of sticking with the bi-monthly schedule, May would be an off month and would be a good time to reveal ZSS. June is practically guaranteed for a newcomer or two. February is most likely gonna be at least one DK reveal. So... I think May will be a big month for Metroid fans like us.

....So far awaaaay.... :(

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Lose not ye faith fellow Ridley Supporters, for it is merely bouncy rope. Jumpeth not to conclusions, for Ridley's wings protect us from pessimism and doubt. KEEP THE FAITH.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Bouncy rope stage hazards are nothing compared to a giant dragon exiting a hole and attacking on a stage mind you.

All this update means is that the possibility for Ridley to be a stage hazard still is there. It's something that was always there. But again, bouncy ropes are nothing like a playable/hazard character. Ridley is one of the most wanted characters, probably since Melee or Brawl. His fans have waited for awhile.

It's only logical that Sakurai would draw it out for as long as possible. Ridley would draw a crap ton of hype for this game. I'm sure the detractors who say "It doesn't feel like Ridley" will STFU and play as him because it's Ridley. Japanese fans would probably be excited too.

This changes nothing. Anybody who claims it disconfirms Ridley is a moron looking for attention

*cues local trolls such as nessokman or KCCHIEFS

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Man! This thread have 341 pages, It's like reading a entire encyclopedia...
Also, just to add a little more of chaos...

And...

So... if Ridley get as a playable character, it's for sure that he will have his Other M design?

Top Bottom