• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

K.Rool and Bowser are larger than Ridley, so apparently their galaxys.
No I didn't mean Ridley was that big, I was actually saying that everyone on the planet Zebes was her enemy.

And Bowser is not as large as Ridley , unless we're talking Mega Bowser. It's easy to compare models, but characters in each model of Smash change so the size isn't always consistent. A good way to see this is to play on Corneria in Brawl and compare it to Melee, the sizes are quiet different.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
That's not clever, and that's what everyone said about Brawl and look what happened. Samus' ultimate enemy is the whole planet lol
I think it's pretty clever. See, what you call an "argument" I call sentiments. There is no arguing against somebody's personal sentiments. You can have 'em. Just don't try and use them like actual arguments, 'cause all you'll get is contrary sentiments from myself and anybody else who disagrees with you.

"I feel things are this way..."
"I feel things are that way..."

Also, Samus is a bounty hunter. No planet is her "ultimate enemy". The space pirates are her biggest enemy, and the leader who killed her parents and effectively sent her down her path in life is her ultimate enemy. Almost everything else that doesn't directly oppose her is often some wild creature in which Samus simply defends herself. There is no "That Geemer that endless walks around that platform is my ULTIMATE ENEMY".

Not even the Metroids are her enemy. Metroids have almost always been wild creatures which, at the most, become Samus's bounty. There's hardly any actual animosity between her and Metroids, and she even became emotionally attached to one. Metroid Prime was pretty much the only time a Metroid became an genuine enemy, and that was a freak of nature.

I think it's pretty clever. See, what you call an "argument" I call sentiments. There is no arguing against somebody's personal sentiments. You can have 'em. Just don't try and use them like actual arguments, 'cause all you'll get is contrary sentiments from myself and anybody else who disagrees with you.

"I feel things are this way..."
"I feel things are that way..."

Also, Samus is a bounty hunter. No planet is her "ultimate enemy". The space pirates are her biggest enemy, and the leader who killed her parents and effectively sent her down her path in life is her ultimate enemy. Almost everything else that doesn't directly oppose her is often some wild creature in which Samus simply defends herself. There is no "That Geemer that endless walks around that platform is my ULTIMATE ENEMY".

Not even the Metroids are her enemy. Metroids have almost always been wild creatures which, at the most, become Samus's bounty. There's hardly any actual animosity between her and Metroids, and she even became emotionally attached to one. Metroid Prime was pretty much the only time a Metroid became an genuine enemy, and that was a freak of nature.
So by calling my argument a sentiment, you're doing exactly what I'm doing, so neither of us are right -- right? Because it's not an argument to you doesn't mean it isn't an argument. Your validation takes nothing from my reasons , but we aren't here to talk about what words mean as it doesn't do anything, it's about the character.

Samus doesn't need to have a playable arch nemesis, it's just the internet has this idea that everyone should be fighting a rival when that isn't the case. I'm sorry you disagree but I honestly just can't see Ridley being a playable character, and I really don't understand why people get upset like this when they have the whole game to look forward to.

And sure some things aren't concrete evidence and statistics , but that doesn't mean everything. I mean if feeling didn't mean anything then why would Sakurai balance characters so that they "feel" right? I'm just saying. Really no one outside of die hard fans on the internet want anything to do with him.

Ridley can be playable, but that doesn't mean it would look and feel right. It would just be cramming in a character just because.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I really love the Metroid franchise. With that said, I don't think Ridley should be a playable character; it doesn't feel right.

Metroid is about Samus and her constant state of isolation. The only other Metroid rep needed is Zero Suit Samus, as it is still Samus.

Not to mention he looks incredibly demented, which really doesn't work well as something someone would want to play as. I mean, you could shrink him, but he would look like a purple mosquito. That and Ridley should never win; if Ridley wins, everyone dies, he's evil as ****. Sure Ganon and Bowser may win sometimes, but that's temporary and the good guy always comes out on top. Even Wolf doesn't beef with Fox like that anymore, he's a merc, just like Fox.

Hate to be negative, but I don't think he's gonna make it as a playable character. The way I see it is that there is an overlaying theme to the characters in Smash to a certain degree.

Mario has his friends
Zelda characters are the 3 Triforce pieces
DK has his best friend Diddy
Fox has his right hand man
Kirby has the dreamland team
Samus is alone

That's just the way it is man.
First thing is first.

You have absolutely 100% zero proof that any of the "overlaying theme" means ****. If we're going there, each of those series has their villain except Metroid, not to mention, you're being selective. Kirby also has his rival and "villain". Fox has his villain. Mario has his villain. There's my spin on it. (basically, this point has nothing backing it, and is therefore bullcrap and is not "the way it is man" no offense)

I doubt that Metroid being a series about isolation means much. It's not like we're adding an ally of Samus. It's her enemy. Just as Mario, Link, Fox, and Kirby have theirs.

If Ridley wins everybody dies? Pretty sure that doesn't mean anything considering this is a goofy game where canon hardly applies to anything. If Ganon wins, the world gets plunged into darkness by looking at the Zelda timeline. If we're going by canon and such...:
Link, Marth, Ike, and Meta Knight should draw blood with their swords
Marth and Ike should be dead
Characters should be dead once Snake snaps their neck
etc

So that shouldn't mean anything.

Maybe i'm being critical. But the points here are laughable in my opinion. Then again, a majority of the reasons you posted are opinions as well. So they aren't wrong per say, but some are a tad ridiculous.

I mean, sure Sakurai's feelings are the only ones that matter. Ridley is a deadly creature who loves to kill...but Ganondorf has no problem doing it either. Have you played OoT? When the citizens turn into redeads? Yea. That's ****ed up. Ganondorf did that to them.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
So by calling my argument a sentiment, you're doing exactly what I'm doing, so neither of us are right -- right? Because it's not an argument to you doesn't mean it isn't an argument. Your validation takes nothing from my reasons , but we aren't here to talk about what words mean as it doesn't do anything, it's about the character.

Samus doesn't need to have a playable arch nemesis, it's just the internet has this idea that everyone should be fighting a rival when that isn't the case. I'm sorry you disagree but I honestly just can't see Ridley being a playable character, and I really don't understand why people get upset like this when they have the whole game to look forward to.

And sure some things aren't concrete evidence and statistics , but that doesn't mean everything. I mean if feeling didn't mean anything then why would Sakurai balance characters so that they "feel" right? I'm just saying. Really no one outside of die hard fans on the internet want anything to do with him.

Ridley can be playable, but that doesn't mean it would look and feel right. It would just be cramming in a character just because.
I feel like your opinion is wrong, or incorrect.

mainly in the last part, where you said Ridley wouldn't look or feel right, to you.

Those feelings you are having are false, you should probably see a doctor. They may have possible been implanted by the KGB in the late 60's.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I'll break it down for ya.

Your initial post... Almost the entire thing consisted of "I feel things are this way...", "I interpret things in this manner...". I'm not gonna flat out say "No you're wrong".

If you think the Metroid series is about isolation, that's your prerogative. You think Ridley looks demented and unsuited based your personal prerequisites? So be it. You think Ridley shouldn't be allowed to win battles against Samus? Okay then.

You want me to treat these sentiments as actual arguments? Why should I? Most of it is purely subjective, based on your personal viewpoint. Ultimately you can't really prove most of the things you said. And they're hardly even presented like declarations, so I can't even say "Hey don't say opinions like they're fact" or whatever. There isn't a case of semantics here this time. =/

Samus doesn't need to have a playable arch nemesis, it's just the internet has this idea that everyone should be fighting a rival when that isn't the case.
See, now this is something I can actually argue. It's a claim. Presenting an actual argument that can be agreed upon or refuted.

You're reading the post of a person that desperately wants playable Ridley because he is a genuine fan of the individual known as Ridley. Having a rivalry with Samus, the main heroine of the series, is just a means to show his credentials. Otherwise Ridley could be Samus's best friend or not have any personal relations with her. But he is an important character. And he is one I've been a major fan of for nearly 20 years.

In other words, not a good idea to generalize the reasons of the Ridley fanbase. I can assure you many of us are not just trying to pair Samus up with an opposing rival. I can also assure you that many Smash fans aren't just interested in filling some sort of "rivalry quota". Many of these rivals and bad guys suggested really are considered worthwhile characters in their own right. K. Rool isn't just "DK's enemy". To some, Captain Syrup isn't just "Wario's enemy". Ridley isn't just "Samus's enemy". These are beloved characters just like the heroes are loved. And people will say whatever they feel will bring enough worth to that character to elevate them.

I'm sorry you disagree but I honestly just can't see Ridley being a playable character, and I really don't understand why people get upset like this when they have the whole game to look forward to.
I had to explain the attachment of such characters. Maybe you just underestimate how people actually feel about these kind of characters.

And sure some things aren't concrete evidence and statistics , but that doesn't mean everything. I mean if feeling didn't mean anything then why would Sakurai balance characters so that they "feel" right? I'm just saying.
You're mixing up two completely different kinds of "feel": The sentimental feelings, as I've already brought up regarding your initial post, and tactile feel, which is something a game designer seeks when crafting their games to be as intuitive as possible. Character balancing to feel proper means that the things that character is supposed to express when used is conveyed to the player as accurately as possible when they control that characters. Upon success, sure a player might experience some personal feelings of sentiment. But that's personal. Tactile feel is a broadly universal experience.

EDIT - Might have misinterpreted your statement. I'll leave the rest however. I think it has some relevance.

Really no one outside of die hard fans on the internet want anything to do with him.
Funny thing how Smash is capable of causing people to enjoy and love characters they would have otherwise never bothered with.

It doesn't have to start with myriads of fans.

If all of this was due to a "just because", this entire threat wouldn't even be a tenth of what it is. Don't hand me this crap. You can choose to believe that Ridley can't look and feel right. But now your statement is recklessly ignoring every valid reason the fanbase has provided for why Ridley can work. Best use wiser words.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
That and Ridley should never win; if Ridley wins, everyone dies, he's evil as ****. Sure Ganon and Bowser may win sometimes, but that's temporary and the good guy always comes out on top. Even Wolf doesn't beef with Fox like that anymore, he's
If Bowser wins, what do you think happens to Peach? Ya know, the woman he risks his entire army and kingdom to snatch.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I have this painful gut feeling that Sakurai will pass up on Ridley once again. I sincerely hope I'm wrong though, as he is one of my top hopefuls, along with K. Rool (partially thanks to their respective support threads. Good job with them creative movesets guys). I apologize for being so pessimistic, but I find that it is better to wake up one day to a pleasant surprise than to get all my hopes crushed in one fatal blow. And for the love of everything I hope he's not a stage hazard, even a sticker would be better (for me anyways). It would also be cool if a Metroid stage didn't feature a hazard for once and actually be viable for tourney play, seeing as the Pyrosphere is the coolest stage shown up to this point.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I'd actually prefer the armor suit, thank you.

Edit: Smashboards ****ed up bigtime with this post. It was a triple post, now its not. I'm confused as hell.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I already chalked up Ridley to a stage hazard. I will not be disappointed if that is how he is revealed. But if he is a character, well it would be quite the surprise.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Samus is alone?

Must have never played Metroid Prime 2, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid Prime Hunters, Metroid Fusion or Metroid: Other M.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
iNot to mention he looks incredibly demented, which really doesn't work well as something someone would want to play as. I mean, you could shrink him, but he would look like a purple mosquito. That and Ridley should never win; if Ridley wins, everyone dies, he's evil as ****. Sure Ganon and Bowser may win sometimes, but that's temporary and the good guy always comes out on top. Even Wolf doesn't beef with Fox like that anymore, he's a merc, just like Fox.
*Cough*Ganondorf is a bona fide villain who doesn't regret what he does *cough*

Ganondorf never wins. He's always destined to lose in Zelda, no matter what. Ridley has won at least one time against Samus, remember the intro to Super Metroid? When he made off with the Baby Metroid?

Ridley being in Smash Bros. wouldn't ruin the idea that Samus is isolated in the universe. The fact that the only possible contenders for Metroid representation are Ridley and Dark Samus, powerful foes who wish to see her dead, only reinforces that general theme in the series.

It's been nearly five months since the reveal of the Pyrosphere. I'm doubting that he's a stage hazard. There is no way that Sakurai could be that mean to continue taunting the Ridley fanbase for this long.

I feel like your opinion is wrong, or incorrect.

mainly in the last part, where you said Ridley wouldn't look or feel right, to you.

Those feelings you are having are false, you should probably see a doctor. They may have possible been implanted by the KGB in the late 60's.
An opinion or feeling can't be wrong, they're both subjective. I really just feel like he wouldn't look good to me. Ridley being a big ass dragon is kind of his deal.

@ Soupenomics Soupenomics : Oh snap I remember those. Doing the light speed jump was ****ing dope. I need to beat this game again.

@ Anomilus Anomilus Thank you for providing a clear and concise response to my statement, and I hope for your sake he is possible to be a playable character. My feelings towards the character aren't out of not wanting him in the game, rather the sake of keeping the character as close to his originated status as a viscous boss.

I know Ridley can work, but I feel it would be heavily modified version of him beyond recognition. His thin and lanky anatomy would be difficult to translate over. I mean, many people state that they could use his design from the Melee intro sure, but for the sake of continuity it would feel odd to have a character who was a large terrific dragon reduce in size suddenly. That and seeing his character from profile may be a tad awkward with his neck and face.

I think to make him work it would take Sakurai to make his own design similar to how he did Pit instead of ripping it out of Super Metroid, as I feel you can't scale that down without making it look malnourished. As far as move sets go, it is possible to create some good ones, but I feel like Charizard in Brawl already perfectly captures that Dragon based move set, though I can see Ridley having more Agility. The one above is pretty solid.

Ridley being a playable character is very much possible, but I personally think it would be a tremendous effort to design him in the game without compromising the integrity of the original character to some degree.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Why is K. Rool upside down there? lol @ where DK is though.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Mario - Bowser
Link - Ganondorf
Kirby - Dedede
Fox - Wolf (kind of)
Samus - Ridley

It's just not fair that he's not there. Though I guess I'm a hypocrite since I like Dixie more than K. Rool for a third DK slot.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Guys, Guys, Guys, this picture is just set-up fodder for tomorrow's pic. I can see it now.......

"And you can't mention the word big without this guy! Ridley confirmed not too big for Smash Bros. Check the website for his character profile!!"

....yeah....

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If keeping Samus alone was so important to Metroid that it couldn't have another character, she would be locked out of team matches. If she was allowed in the game at all.
The whole "Metroid is about isolation" argument is stupid not only for this reason, but if gameplay is supposed to be represented on the roster, then Ridley has even more of a reason to get in. Samus is isolated sure, but only from allies, she's constantly surrounded by enemies, not to mention space pirates. If Metroid is to be properly represented, you gotta represent the enemies too then, since they make Metroid what it is.

Even then, that's not how roster representation works anyways.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
The whole "Metroid is about isolation" argument is stupid not only for this reason, but if gameplay is supposed to be represented on the roster, then Ridley has even more of a reason to get in. Samus is isolated sure, but only from allies, she's constantly surrounded by enemies, not to mention space pirates. If Metroid is to be properly represented, you gotta represent the enemies too then, since they make Metroid what it is.

Even then, that's not how roster representation works anyways.
Exactly, Metroid is all about the enemies and hostile environments. Smash has gone too long with only one of those. It's about time that changes.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Reality kicks in...

Could be bigger... :D

BTW...Thank you person on NeoGAF! THIS is a very good picture of my initial idea of playable Ridley:

All fours. Height while on ground equal to Bowser. Gets in the air and is considerably larger. Looks good compared to Samus. On-the-Ground hitboxes won't be as awkward to strike either!

I'd make grounded Ridley 1.1x larger but...This is a near-perfect image of a completely plausible and fitting Ridley!

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I dont't know about you guys but looks like DK, Bowser and Dedede are bigger in this game (no pun intended), Coincidence!?
Dedede looks bigger to me. Dk looks about the same. Bowser might just look taller because he's actaully upright...

Top Bottom