• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
is it bad that i can't wait for a decomfirmation of ridley partially to spite those of you who support him? i'm just sick of the arguments. i just want it to happen so people, supporter or not, can shut up about it for at least a LITTLE while :rolleyes:
So basically you want to join the impending army of anti-Ridley naysayers, toobigots, and trolls who are going to utterly swarm this thread and every Smash Bros. congregation on the internet and engage in despicable treatment of other people should Ridley be excluded... for the sake of keeping things quiet?

You... you do realize a major reason for the seemingly endless arguments is because the very people you want to side with just can't stop riling up Ridley groups with bad, repeated, unending arguments and claims that have been discussed to multiple deaths and reincarnations and more death? Not to mention the trolling that multiplies it all several fold!

Spiting any group for such petty reasons is despicable. Just don't. We didn't do anything to you, and more often than not it's stuff being done to us just for wanting and hoping for something that many know is a long shot. Wanting to spite us for defending our positions and reasoning is literally saying "I want to punish you for suffering the questionable thoughts and behaviors of other people". I hope you realize just how malicious that sounds.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Speaking of malicious why the hell is Smashboards detecting "malware" all over the place? I hardly can access the Social and Miiverse threads.

On-topic though, yeah, besides both being dragons with wings and all, Charizard is somewhat different. However, I hardly see why that would hinder Ridley's chances.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
The point with Charizard is that his body shape is absolutely uncanny compared to the vast majority of the cast. People like to hold Ridley's body shape over him as a strike, but not only is it blown out of proportion, Charizard is playable despite his proportions.

It's not just the tail and wings either. Short arms and stumpy legs on a round torso, and a long neck as well. Ridley's actually more alike the rest of the cast than Charizard is.

But this is the behavior naysayers take in, turning Ridley into an exceptional case in order to feed their beliefs that he shouldn't be playable rather than objectively looking at the whole picture and then deciding where Ridley might fall short. We as Ridley supporters aren't just throwing out every argument against him. It's just a lot of arguments against him are invalid.

Groose

Smash Champion
Can someone explain to me what makes Ridley's body so "awkward" when it's near the exact same structure as this:

???
1) Longer, jointed neck.
2) Much larger wingspan.
3) Lankier legs and arms.

Don't get me wrong--I really want him in, but I must acknowledge that his build would require some serious planning and programming. He'd be more difficult of a character to create than anyone who isn't overly complex (Pkmn Trainer, Rosalina, Pikmin, Ice Climbers).

But I think we can agree that it's definitely worth it.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
is it bad that i can't wait for a decomfirmation of ridley partially to spite those of you who support him? i'm just sick of the arguments. i just want it to happen so people, supporter or not, can shut up about it for at least a LITTLE while :rolleyes:
Yes, it is bad, because it makes you an a$$hole. Seriously. I don't know where this mentality comes from, but it pisses me right the **** off.

I'm so tired of this hateful attitude that some of the people here seem to have. It's childish and crude. We should pride ourselves on our ability to get along and accept others' (REASONABLE) requests rather than just trying to be as much of a prick as possible.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wanting any character deconfirmed to spite their fanbase is just downright douchebaggery.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
Something tells me it won't be too long before we find out Ridley's fate now... Don't know what, I just have a gut feeling. Either he'll be disconfirmed in some random pic or he'll be one of the next newcomers revealed I reckon. Fingers crossed.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Something tells me it won't be too long before we find out Ridley's fate now... Don't know what, I just have a gut feeling. Either he'll be disconfirmed in some random pic or he'll be one of the next newcomers revealed I reckon. Fingers crossed.
oh yeah, and I have a gut feeling quote will be playable. doesn't mean it's gonna happen. unfortunately.

very unfortunately.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Wanting any character deconfirmed to spite their fanbase is just downright douchebaggery.
There's a good number of people I definitely don't want in the game, but it isn't solely to spite their fan base. I'm still a douche though.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
OUCH... i was trying to be light... sorry to say, but whenever i try to say something in this thread, i get more hateful posts back than what people enterpreted mine to be. oh and @ Groose Groose , that's and interesting viewpoint, didn't think that way.

and to those of you ridley supporters who feel like lighting me on fire or some jazz like that, i'm not even entirely against him being playable; IF the producers can figure it right, i'll be cool with it. i just really really really don't see it happening. it's a very small if to a very big character. sorry, sorry, that was in bad taste...

if i wanted to be a "troll" or "reasonless naysayer" as some of you think of me as, i would have a sig icon of ridley with a big red X. as you can see, i have a few mewtwos and the reggiemon trainer. so good day to thee, gentlemen and ladies, best wishes on thine smash wishes, please don't hurt me :p (i tend to say that last part a lot in this thread,,, supporters tend to get angry at their opposition easily)

all that jazz aside, remember; everybody on these forums is awesome in their own way. be proud of that awesomeness, and conquer the world with it!!! what what i didn't shout anything..........

Last edited:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I strangely feel the same way about Ridley, as well as Shulk and Mewtwo.

Steelia

Smash Champion
You bring dishonor to Mewtwo.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
At least Mewtwo's pretty much a lock.

If Ridley is a newcomer, and Nintendo does an E3 Conference, he'll be revealed there, seeing as E3 is a western-only event and Ridley's most wanted in the west. Plus, it'll coincide with the likely Retroid announcement.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
'sigh' while i'm on the site still, i'm going to request you please refer to the post after the post you quoted. i try to be the best smasher i can!

everybody brings dishonor to mewtwo, since nobody can live up to his awesomeness. he's like the chuck norris of pokemon

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
is it bad that i can't wait for a comfirmation of ridley? i'm just sick of the arguments. i just want it to happen so people, supporter or not, can shut up about it for at least a LITTLE while :rolleyes:
fixed. completely.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I feel as though a tease or a slight hint is imminent at this point. I just hope it's for the better. Less than a year remains and there is still so much Sakurai can show. And like many people, I doubt he would be holding Ridley secret if he were a stage hazard, that would completely wreck the hype for many fans.

Btw nice avi UltimateWario.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
I feel as though a tease or a slight hint is imminent at this point. I just hope it's for the better. Less than a year remains and there is still so much Sakurai can show. And like many people, I doubt he would be holding Ridley secret if he were a stage hazard, that would completely wreck the hype for many fans.
That's what I often think - why hold Ridley back all this time and make ambiguous comments and then not include him? I know people call Sakurai a "troll" regularly but he wouldn't knowingly want to p*** off a huge proportion of his fan base, surely?

D

Deleted member

Ridley's body is not awkward, but it's a lot different than Charizard's.
Ridley is WAY skinnier.
Which doesn't deter from the point.
Point being, that Ridley doesn't have some weird body type since there is another character whose body is a near identical match.

1) Longer, jointed neck.
2) Much larger wingspan.
3) Lankier legs and arms.

Don't get me wrong--I really want him in, but I must acknowledge that his build would require some serious planning and programming. He'd be more difficult of a character to create than anyone who isn't overly complex (Pkmn Trainer, Rosalina, Pikmin, Ice Climbers).

But I think we can agree that it's definitely worth it.

I would say that the differences between Charizard and Ridley are no different than the differences between Bowser and Giga Bowser. Yet Giga Bowser is able to work using Bowser as a base.
While I'm not saying Ridley should be a clone, but Ridley using Charizard as a base in cases of movement would work.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I don't really think charizard working in brawl gives anything against or in favor of Ridley. Dragons comes in an inmense variety body structure, one is a fat pocket monster and the other is a rather skinny (or ripped) space dragon.

Ok all things considered you guys do have a persuasive argument as to why and how Ridley should be included. My question is, if he was a character who towered a bit above that of the larger characters, how would you balance him? Would he have sweet spots on moves? Would his attacks be splash damage oriented? How heavy would he be? Would he have a lot of cool down frames on his attacks? What moves will have Super Armor?Etc.

I truly hope for everyone's sake that the character y'all want gets in , as for me, I have no personal preference, I'm just compulsively detail oriented and an inaccurate depiction of a character tends to make me not want to see him / her. When I saw him in Brawl as a boss he was perfect, and I thought it would be hard to get all of that on him if he were playable, but hey--what do I know, I'm no game designer.

Morbi

Scavenger
Ok all things considered you guys do have a persuasive argument as to why and how Ridley should be included. My question is, if he was a character who towered a bit above that of the larger characters, how would you balance him? Would he have sweet spots on moves? Would his attacks be splash damage oriented? How heavy would he be? Would he have a lot of cool down frames on his attacks? What moves will have Super Armor?Etc.

I truly hope for everyone's sake that the character y'all want gets in , as for me, I have no personal preference, I'm just compulsively detail oriented and an inaccurate depiction of a character tends to make me not want to see him / her. When I saw him in Brawl as a boss he was perfect, and I thought it would be hard to get all of that on him if he were playable, but hey--what do I know, I'm no game designer.
Apparently he would have to be pretty slow, is that okay? *Sakurai laughs.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
i have the feeling you're a cool guy :D
i'm seriously tempted to friend you right now :p
Aw shucks, flattery is my weakness. I've been making witty remarks for months whilst contributing relevant, insightful feedback and I haven't gotten a single friend request from any of these people. So you can be my friend and to the rest of you, **** you and the things you like. (except Ridley)

Top Bottom