• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If Ridley were to be that small in a Godzilla game, why would he be too big for Smash then I wonder.

D

Deleted member

According to that one Japanese site with all of the character artworks and predictions, Ridley is 3.7 meters tall.

That's roughly 12.1 feet.

Time to go to work, Oasis. :troll:

EDIT: Funny enough, that's only 3 feet taller than Ganondorf's real size from TP. And we know how Ganondorf shrunk a bit from then to Brawl. There is no excuse for Ridley now. :awesome:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'll do it instead, Golden.
According to the Super Mario Wiki, Mario is 5 ft, 1 in tall.
Take a look at this.

As you can see, Bowser is at least 3 times as tall as Mario, meaning that he is over 15 feet tall.
3 feet taller than Ridley.
More to come.

majora_787

Smash Hero
But Bowser uses teh majyyks! D:

Which is usually the part where I blame Ridley size changes on science. ... Science magic?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I'll do it instead, Golden.
According to the Super Mario Wiki, Mario is 5 ft, 1 in tall.
Take a look at this.

As you can see, Bowser is at least 3 times as tall as Mario, meaning that he is over 15 feet tall.
3 feet taller than Ridley.
More to come.
This is bowsers size in mario galaxy 1 and i assure you no magic on that bowser

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Has anyone considered that the Pyrosphere might just be another follow-up in the "rising acid" stage hazard that's been seen throughout every Metroid stage in the series? I mean, I seriously considered this to be a possibility when I saw the two statues from "Castle Siege" in Brawl return for "Arena Ferox", even though there was no real reason for them to make an appearance.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Has anyone considered that the Pyrosphere might just be another follow-up in the "rising acid" stage hazard that's been seen throughout every Metroid stage in the series? I mean, I seriously considered this to be a possibility when I saw the two statues from "Castle Siege" in Brawl return for "Arena Ferox", even though there was no real reason for them to make an appearance.
Yeah, it has been brought up. However, if it is on the Pyrosphere stage, it's just odd that it hasn't been shown yet. In general it's just odd that nothing has been shown yet since the stage was revealed so long ago, which is why I think it's a neutral stage. However, with the recent reveal of a stage hazard on the Spirit Trains stage, anything can happen.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah, it has been brought up. However, if it is on the Pyrosphere stage, it's just odd that it hasn't been shown yet. In general it's just odd that nothing has been shown yet since the stage was revealed so long ago, which is why I think it's a neutral stage. However, with the recent reveal of a stage hazard on the Spirit Trains stage, anything can happen.
Even though to be fully fair, I think everything we saw of the Spirit Train stage actually avoided what was in front of the train for the most part, as well as behind it.

And even if Sakurai actively avoided it just because, he's repeating a stage hazard that another game has done. And building interest in a highly requested character just so it can end in disappointment seems like a questionable decision.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Whelp, better make a post quick before CrashBoards returns again.

Well that just gave me a thought. If Sakurai only saw Ridley as nothing more than stage hazard fodder/material, don't you think he would've just made him as such on Norfair (Ridley's home turf) in Brawl? Why wait till the next game to do it to him on Pyrosphere? For that matter, why go from making Ridley two separate bosses, to just a stage thing which was already done with Ridley in Smash 64 (far as the series), and DoA Dimensions (outside the series) ?

Not trying to be in denial here, as I still acknowledge his chances on being a Pyrosphere hazard, but something about it all doesn't feel like it quite adds up in the end.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
And building interest in a highly requested character just so it can end in disappointment seems like a questionable decision.
Kind of like it would be a questionable decision to not make Ridley a playable character in the first place, right?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, today's update...

I'm at least 88,96% sure that Ridley will be a "thing" like that monster I haven't ever seen before.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm personally inclined to believe that it's a neutral stage as well as out of all of the stages the Pyrosphere easily has among the most pictures dedicated to it and yet we haven't seen any indication of a hazard, especially when compared to the Spirit Tracks stage. Plus Sakurai has seemed to be more quick to reveal characters based hazards like the Yellow Devil and Dark Emperor.

That is of course not to say that it can't happen, but I'd like to think that if Sakurai is avoiding revealing the stage hazard it'd be something less notable then a popular character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Confirmation of enemies on stages or some sort? We've known this since Mega man's trailer. Am just saying most likely Ridley will be one of these things to. Maybe enemies appear on stages now in this game?

Groose

Smash Champion
Reggie is showing off a new trailer for an upcoming Wii U game this weekend at a special game awards ceremony... I'd assume Smash would be a likely choice.

And what better newcomer to reveal in a western, "hard-core" setting than Ridley? Maybe Mac, but he'd get boo'd off of the stage if Miis were the reveal, y'know?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Reggie is showing off a new trailer for an upcoming Wii U game this weekend at a special game awards ceremony... I'd assume Smash would be a likely choice.

And what better newcomer to reveal in a western, "hard-core" setting than Ridley? Maybe Mac, but he'd get boo'd off of the stage if Miis were the reveal, y'know?
It can be four options Ridley, Little Mac, King K. Rool or Mewtwo as likely choices, lets see what Sakurai has prepared us for the show.
.n_n.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
It can be four options Ridley, Little Mac, King K. Rool or Mewtwo as likely choices, lets see what Sakurai has prepared us for the show.
.n_n.
Let's not get too hyped up here, it may not even be a Smash trailer.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
How do you guys feel about the fact that, when Mii doesn't get shown on a stage explicitly referencing one of its games, fans treat that as a confirmation of the Mii, while we aren't extended the same courtesy?

I smell toobigotry. The smell of toobigotry is in the air.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
How do you guys feel about the fact that, when Mii doesn't get shown on a stage explicitly referencing one of its games, fans treat that as a confirmation of the Mii, while we aren't extended the same courtesy?

Well, it's more of less because of Sakurai's comment that people think Ridley might be a stage hazard. I don't really blame them for that, since his comment does make it sound that way initially.

A stage will never confirm a character though, and won't deconfirm a character either until shown otherwise (and even then it's generally up for debate because of Toon Link). We've all seen Smashville, Delfino Plaza and Norfair in Brawl.

Ridley wouldn't be able to carry the show himself though. As much as we like Ridley, he's not that big of a character outside the Nintendo community. I mean, after all he is only the second most important character in a franchise that isn't one of Nintendo's biggest guns.

For a big event like VGX, I can only see the possibility of Mii or Pac-Man, maybe Little Mac, unless they reveal multiple characters at once, otherwise they're the only characters that are the stars of their own stuff that pretty much everyone knows. Ridley's only chance of appearing at VGX as far as I see would be in a trailer with one or two other characters, like Little Mac, K. Rool or Chrom.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Then make sure you don't go crazy thinking if Gangplank Galleon gets confirmed as a stage. :p

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Indeed. The double standard is hilarious.

It's not just Miis either. Arena Ferox is being treated by some as a "confirmation" of an Awakening character, and Little Mac has been "OMG confirmed" since we got that boxing ring that hasn't even been confirmed as a Punch-Out!! stage yet. :glare:

D

Deleted member

I especially love how there are people that have been using the Dark Emperor as "confirmation" that Ridley's a stage hazard. Except, you know, the Dark Emperor isn't Ridley. And Ridley has yet to be confirmed or denied as a stage hazard.

And the Dark Emperor was shown right away to be part of a then newly revealed stage, while the stage Ridley supposedly is a hazard in was shown off multiple times since a couple months ago, and *in the voice of Bubble Bass* still no Ridley!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah, the Dark Emperor being a hazard doesn't mean jack squat for Ridley. That being said, I'm not even remotely surprised to find out people are using the Dark Emperor as an argument, rather I was expecting people to start using it shortly after I found out what the monster in the pic was.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Using the Dark Emperor as an argument against Ridley is shooting yourself in the foot, since it just strengthens the argument that if Ridley was a stage hazard he'd have been shown long ago, as both the Dark Emperor and Yellow Devil were shown right off the bat. It really shouldn't be a surprise that the core elements of a stage is revealed alongside the stage, heck, in the case of the Streetpass Quest stage we've only seen the hazard, but not much of the stage itself.

Again, it's not like Sakurai to announce a stage, then post almost 20 pictures of it, only to then show the core part of the stage. And don't anyone dare give me the "Maybe it isn't finished yet" thing, because the stage wouldn't be shown if it wasn't finished for the most part, if that was the case then we'd likely have gotten a teaser instead, as was the case with the Galaxy stage.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Again, it's not like Sakurai to announce a stage, then post almost 20 pictures of it, only to then show the core part of the stage. And don't anyone dare give me the "Maybe it isn't finished yet" thing, because the stage wouldn't be shown if it wasn't finished for the most part, if that was the case then we'd likely have gotten a teaser instead, as was the case with the Galaxy stage.
To be fair, we have had situations where stage gimmicks aren't sown off until much after the reveal of the stage. For example, we didn't get to see the Dark Trains on Spirit Tracks until just a short while ago, nor did we see the statues on Arena Ferox until a short time ago(and in the latter case we don't even know what the statues mean). Though I do think that if Ridley were a stage hazard, Sakurai would have made that clear early on.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I actually think also that the Spirit Train stage was never shown far ahead or behind the train. We've seen a lot of Pyrosphere, both in pictures and in amount of the stage seen. I would think it would be more trouble than it would be worth to show huge chunks of the Pyrosphere stage at the exact half second the main stage hazard is out of the camera. So I mean playable or not I just don't think he's a stage hazard. Boss or background character, maybe. But...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
To be fair, we have had situations where stage gimmicks aren't sown off until much after the reveal of the stage. For example, we didn't get to see the Dark Trains on Spirit Tracks until just a short while ago, nor did we see the statues on Arena Ferox until a short time ago(and in the latter case we don't even know what the statues mean). Though I do think that if Ridley were a stage hazard, Sakurai would have made that clear early on.
Difference is that a stage hazard such as Yellow Devil and The Dark Emperor looks to be what builds the foundation of those stages, and Ridley would be like that too. The Dark Trains will likely just cause an ocassional bump on the stage itself, which is already all sorts of whacky. Without the Yellow Devil and Ridley their stages would be completely neutral (Streetpass Quest stage remains to be fully shown). The Spirit Tracks stage has had enough going for it to still be interesting in daily pics, while Pyrosphere has had nothing going on otherwise, and notice how Wily's Castle hasn't been shown for a very long time, I actually think the last time was when we got a Kirby alongside Yellow Devil.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

Boy oh boy you are hopeful.

Who knows.

Top Bottom