• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Am I the only one who thought Mother Brain looked silly in general when she came out of the jar and revealed her brain was just mounted on an absurd T-rex-y body?
It's pretty ridiculous. Still, Super Metroid's ending sequence was quite good, even if Mother Brain looks insanely silly.

Morbi

Scavenger
Welcome to the Ridley thread.

And yeah basically. The size argument is literally the least effective at disproving Ridley, and the other arguments against him are all pretty silly.

- He's too big and can't be resized. (I learned how to resize in one semester of high school 3D animation. It is not difficult in the slightest.)
- I personally hold in my individual opinion that he would look silly at a smaller size. This means he is impossible. (I think he looks so silly at a smaller size that he HAS to be playable.)
- He was never playable. (Oh, Ganondorf. What a joker, that guy.)
- He is too serious of a villain. (Oh, Ganondorf. What a joker, that guy.)
- Metroid doesn't deserve more than one character. (Mother, anyone?)
- Anthony Higgs is a way better choice. (Yes I have actually heard this.)
- Sakurai has given him a very specific role in the smash series. (Yep. As a background character in 64, a trophy and character in the intro in Melee, and a boss in Brawl. What a rigid unchanging role.)
- If you look at fanmade hacks, Ridley can't look good at Samus' size, not even if a professional does it from scratch. (This speaks for itself.)
- Sakurai's opinions on characters never change, so Ridley will never be playable. (I remember when Villager was deemed impossible by Sakurai.)

All of these are extremely silly and pretty easily deflectable arguments against Ridley that I've seen.
Yes, the only relevant argument against Ridley is that Sakurai does not comprehend what developing him would entail (as he immediately and fallaciously stated that Ridley would have to be slow to compensate for his... "too big" status). The only real evidence against him was the Sakurai proclaims that it would be seemingly impossible and that it would take an overt effort to manage developing him. However, it is critical to note that this was in 2008, nevertheless it is circumstantial evidence against his inclusion. The creative director wasn't entirely sure if he was possible. The "too big" argument might be erroneous in the way that it is commonly applied to the situation; however, it is still a feasible assertion. That is inherently what causes the problem in the first place. To dismiss that logic is unintelligent. Ridley arbitrarily looking repugnant (aesthetically) is not evidence, merely a fear associated with his inclusion. The intent will be to retain his character and respect Metroid, fortunately, Ridley doesn't have a universal interpretation.

Obviously, I feel as though his extensive Smash relevance, staggering requests/popularity, and Sakurai's awareness in regards to this will be enough to merit his inclusion. I am only hesitant when I attempt to visualize a-not-so immaculate Ridley on the 3DS.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's pretty ridiculous. Still, Super Metroid's ending sequence was quite good, even if Mother Brain looks insanely silly.
I'm not denying that, I just can't say Other M made Mother Brain look ridiculous when she is an alien brain monster with a T Rex body.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
One thing we can all agree is that Nightmare is ****ing creepy
I've only seen people fight Nightmare. I haven't played the game (yet), So I have not had the proper buildup to properly be creeped out/scared by Nightmare. He's only gross because of the face melting thing.

I honestly didn't like all of the beams having ammo or the dark world thing much myself. But I still enjoyed Prime 2. Getting to the point where you're just running through and ignoring enemies though, I've gotten to that point in just about every Metroid Game.

And they have toothpick arms because aliens. I don't know. A better question is, why do they all look so much different from Prime 2's pirates? And why do those look so different from Prime 3's pirates?
Well Yeah they look different from game to game yeah, but the thing is that the looks of the flying space pirates look so vastly different compared to the normal space pirates within the same game.

As for the ammo thing, I prefer it because you always have to worry about running out of ammo and making sure you use your ammo on the correct things. This makes it so things stay intimidating by the end of the game since you'll run out of ammo more.
The problem I have with the other metroid games is that at the end it becoming "Use the most powerful weapon to absolutely annihilate everything in your path" and at that point it becomes a boring shooter, with lots of scanning (specificly Metroid Prime).

I don't know, I just like having a choice in what I use against enemies. Even if it's Regular no ammo vs Super effective ammo. Note: I almost never use missles because I save them for the large amount of doors that require them, and just in case there's a hidden boss or something difficult coming up that I didn't know about.

As for Dark Aether. Nintendo was doing a light/dark thing in a few of their titles at the time, it wasn't just Zelda. Of course, I like Dark worlds, and the Ing and Metroid Prime 2 have my favorite general enemy designs in Metroid so far (and Quadraxis being one of my favorite bosses in the series)

As for the co-op thing. It sounds like a lot of people here have had a bad encounter with co-oping with people.
Whether they bring back previous characters, or introduce new ones I don't care. While I like the idea of Samus co-oping with someone for a change, I think it'd be much better to leave the solo thing to her, and have other people do the co-op thing (whether it be bounty hunters, or the galactic federation or whatever). If the creators feel lazy I suppose they could make a smaller side co-op mission mode, but leave the main game for Single Player Samus.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Mother Brain has always looked stupid in my opinion. Super Metroid's t-rex thing was just too silly, especially with the music it had going. The only fear I had of it was when it started doing the unavoidable death laser because I felt like I was doing something wrong, and didn't want to go through the hell of the previous room. At that point it could be a Goomba and it'd be just as scary. I really hate redo-ing parts in games that are annoying.

It's probably kind of lame, but one of my scariest gaming moments had to be in Metroid Prime 3, when you're walking through that lab with all the... phaazoids? I think? in test tubes. And then you turn off the power or something and YOU JUST KNOW they all escaped and you have to walk down those halls with loose Metroids and honestly I quit the game and waited until the next day to play because I just didn't want to deal with that.
The best horror games make your mind do all the work. Once whatever you are worried about is shown, it gets less scary (especially when you have a super powered god suit like Samus)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Fusion was cool, the only thing I didn't like about it was the linearity. I'm not too hot on the computer interaction either, but at least it made for a good moment where Samus screws over the Federation, and if I haven't been waiting a damn decade to see the follow-up to that.
It was also a turning point for Adam's character, especially for those who disliked him in Other M I guess. The moment the computer revealed itself as Adam's consciousness and helped Samus screw over the Federation as you put it. Shows he's no tool either when it comes down to it.

Oh, and it has by far the worst Ridley design ever. It does have some incredibly good boss battles though, and I do like the zones themselves.
Yeah, but Fusion at least had a reason or excuse for an ugly Ridley design, as the X tend to take obscenely mutated forms of the organisms they mimic, so why would Ridley-X be any different in that regard? Just wish that battle was on Super Metroid Ridley levels of challenging or something, as far as both the boss's health (charge beam did such obscene damage to Ridley in Fusion that missiles were rather pointless even) and attack patterns.

Most of the same can easily be said for Zero Mission Ridley as well though, of course, not to mention they're both commonly used by the toobiggers as support for their 'arguments', much like how Super Metroid/Melee intro Ridley is often used by the supporters.

One of the things that also made me dislike Other M was the lack of atmosphere. You'd constantly be interrupted by inner monologue, Adam, or the other Federation guys. There was little time to immerse yourself into your surroundings because you weren't allowed to, which just takes a huge part of Metroid away from me.
I guess it was the lack of open-worldness (feeling more closed off) that the artificial environments/sectors in Other M didn't come off as memorable as they could've, and the certain things that may have made it kinda hard to feel really immersed by the atmosphere or anything. That and Biosphere was the only sector that felt really fresh, with the forest environments and all. Cryosphere and Pyrosphere were the kind of places that had been done in the series plenty times before (more-so Pyrosphere), which of course had to be the stage introduced in Sm4sh as per Metroid lava level traditions, despite already being done in DoA Dimensions. lolPyrosphereRidleyarguments

I honestly didn't like all of the beams having ammo or the dark world thing much myself. But I still enjoyed Prime 2. Getting to the point where you're just running through and ignoring enemies though, I've gotten to that point in just about every Metroid Game.

And they have toothpick arms because aliens. I don't know. A better question is, why do they all look so much different from Prime 2's pirates? And why do those look so different from Prime 3's pirates?
Prime 1 and Prime 2 had some of the best Space Pirate designs by far. Prime 3's (minus the commandos and such) tended to look like some kind of weird cross-breed with the Covenant from Halo and the Pirates.

As a species they're much more intelligent than the lobster-arm Zebesian Pirates too, who were made into feral, mindless creatures to make Mother Brain & MB look good. The whole "insects that can't work, think, or operate without their queen" cliche.

One thing we can all agree is that Nightmare is ****ing creepy
Not as much as Phantoon IMO, but yeah.

Always hated the Nightmare design in Other M, he looked like a green duck above all else. The fight was kind of... bland too, as far as I remember at least, I just remember him dragging himself around the floor... which you just jump-avoided... like everything else in the game...
First we call Other M Ridley a duckface, now you say Nightmare looks like a green duck in the game? Wonder what other duck things we can find in Other M if we look hard enough. :p

The Sense Move was a cool dodging mechanic I felt, but yeah. Because of it, the game didn't feel like any certain boss's attacks were hard to avoid than others', or anything. You only had to worry about not getting screwed while in first person mode or being able to use "concentration" long enough to restore health/ammo.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I can't see the duck no matter how hard I look at Other M Nightmare.

I can definitely see not liking Other M Ridley's flappy face though.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I haven't played Fusion or Other M, but uh, what IS Nightmare? It looks like a robot, but then you blow up its face and it's Secretly a booger. Not that I can't Suspend my belief, but he gets really silly to me when I think of how some joker had to intentionally design him that way.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I haven't played Fusion or Other M, but uh, what IS Nightmare? It looks like a robot, but then you blow up its face and it's Secretly a booger. Not that I can't Suspend my belief, but he gets really silly to me when I think of how some joker had to intentionally design him that way.
Imagine this.

Nightmare is a pile of goo that can control gravity. It was put into a robot suit for some reason we don't know.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, if Other M is any indication, it is some kind of experimental bioweapon that got moved over to the ship in Fusion along with Ridley's corpse and probably a number of other things.

majora_787

Smash Hero
But Samus is in Smash Bros, and Samus is in a multiplayer shooter game with other bounty hunters.

Unless Sakurai decides to be a turd and doesn't make Ridley playable once again, but then makes Metroid Smash Bros. with playable Ridley.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
But Samus is in Smash Bros, and Samus is in a multiplayer shooter game with other bounty hunters.

Unless Sakurai decides to be a turd and doesn't make Ridley playable once again, but then makes Metroid Smash Bros. with playable Ridley.
Oh yeah, but the problem is that every fan of other Nintendo franchises will request their respective <insert series name> Smash Bros. and then a war between fans would begin...

majora_787

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, but the problem is that every fan of other Nintendo franchises will request their respective <insert series name> Smash Bros. and then a war between fans would begin...
Then they get <series here> Melee, and then <series here> Brawl, and the Melee v Brawl debate will now be multiplied by the number of franchises Nintendo has. And then Project M will be made for all of them

and it will basically be a massive horrifying death for all of us. A type of massive death Ridley cannot provide.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Then they get <series here> Melee, and then <series here> Brawl, and the Melee v Brawl debate will now be multiplied by the number of franchises Nintendo has. And then Project M will be made for all of them

and it will basically be a massive horrifying death for all of us. A type of massive death Ridley cannot provide.
Good points right there, but hey! we would at least get a playable Ridley.

D

Deleted member

This looks like something Oasis made. If not, well, here it is because I know he loves this stuff.

D

Deleted member

I found it on ScrewAttack. Someone was using it to argue that resizing Ridley isn't an issue.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He's rather wide yeah, but not too large. I kinda miss Donkey Kong though for comparison.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Dedede is kind of adorable when you make him that size.
It's really weird to realize that he's just extremely short, but then in Smash Bros. is one of the biggest heavyweights.

Resizing of characters, everyone. It is allowed to happen to anyone but Ridley.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who thought Mother Brain looked silly in general when she came out of the jar and revealed her brain was just mounted on an absurd T-rex-y body?
If by silly you mean scary as hell and haunted your nightmares for days, then yes, I thought MB was "silly" when I first played Super Metroid. :scared:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It's really weird to realize that he's just extremely short, but then in Smash Bros. is one of the biggest heavyweights.

Resizing of characters, everyone. It is allowed to happen to anyone but Ridley.
Objection! (and since the Dedede plush was posted)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Which one? The normal Ridley or Meta-Ridley one? I'd buy either if I could. :p

Top Bottom