• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I wish Sylux could get a lead role in the new Metroid and the new race to face would be the Kriken, so the Space Pirates get a rest after so many loses.
.n_n.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I wish Sylux could get a lead role in the new Metroid and the new race to face would be the Kriken, so the Space Pirates get a rest after so many loses.
.n_n.
I'd like to have Samus still the main protagonist of a new metroid, but a new game with Sylux and/or other bounty hunters as major characters more than they have been as it is would be pretty cool.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Do you think they'll make some Metroid Co-op Spin-offs at some point? More characters to get a chance to shine in the spotlight possibly.
I mention this because I thought The Legenda of Zelda series would never go co-op, and it turns out they did (and not in a way I expected them to do it too). Some other Nintendo titles had a bigger focus on co-op later on in their series as well, Metroid is one of the few franchises left that haven't gone co-op that is still making games.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Do you think they'll make some Metroid Co-op Spin-offs at some point? More characters to get a chance to shine in the spotlight possibly.
I mention this because I thought The Legenda of Zelda series would never go co-op, and it turns out they did (and not in a way I expected them to do it too). Some other Nintendo titles had a bigger focus on co-op later on in their series as well, Metroid is one of the few franchises left that haven't gone co-op that is still making games.
Well they CAN. I mean all of the bounty hunters from Prime Hunters are still alive, and Noxus and Spire aren't actually evil.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
You people with your crackpot left-wing ideals of co-op campaigns in Metroid. I find your open-mindedness.... disturbing.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I'd like to have Samus still the main protagonist of a new metroid, but a new game with Sylux and/or other bounty hunters as major characters more than they have been as it is would be pretty cool.
Well I was thinking more like a rival maybe he is hired to steal the Chozo technology from the suit of Samus to create a ultimate weapon for the Kriken Empire to conquer the world, and the story turns out that Samus instead get the technology from the Kriken and add her to her arsenal, that would be great and in some form expand the Metroid Universe.

.n_n.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I think Metroid's greatest strength, at least for me, is how incredibly atmospheric it is, and it seems to me like playing with a friend would ruin that in a heartbeat. Kinda like playing a horror game with a friend--it's not really scary anymore.

On that note, I think Metroid could be adapted very easily into a horror series.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I think Metroid's greatest strength, at least for me, is how incredibly atmospheric it is, and it seems to me like playing with a friend would ruin that in a heartbeat. Kinda like playing a horror game with a friend--it's not really scary anymore.

On that note, I think Metroid could be adapted very easily into a horror series.
The best Metroid titles are frequently eerie and unsettling. I can't even imagine what those games would be like if that sense of dread was the primary focus, but I would definitely want to play it.

majora_787

Smash Hero

There's kind of a difference between what horror games go for and what Metroid goes for. If you went into a horror game by yourself with HALF of the kinds of things you have in Metroid, it would be significantly less scary.

But I think it would be possible, maybe not easy but possible, to make a 2-player co-op Metroid game that is still an atmospheric metroid experience.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
The best Metroid titles are frequently eerie and unsettling. I can't even imagine what those games would be like if that sense of dread was the primary focus, but I would definitely want to play it.
Fusion, despite its linearity, stands out to me as one of the most atmospheric games I have ever played.

There's kind of a difference between what horror games go for and what Metroid goes for. If you went into a horror game by yourself with HALF of the kinds of things you have in Metroid, it would be significantly less scary.

But I think it would be possible, maybe not easy but possible, to make a 2-player co-op Metroid game that is still an atmospheric metroid experience.
True, it couldn't be a typical horror experience, but they could still make Metroid a pretty frightening franchise if they tried.

Again, it's just difficult to keep atmosphere when you have outside factors beyond the games control (for example, a friend to crack jokes with) messing with your experience. I wouldn't be opposed to them trying, but I have doubts on how well it would work...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They already have some horror elements in there.

Remember the SA-X? The Dark Troopers? The Metroid Labs?

Creepy....

majora_787

Smash Hero
Fusion, despite its linearity, stands out to me as one of the most atmospheric games I have ever played.

True, it couldn't be a typical horror experience, but they could still make Metroid a pretty frightening franchise if they tried.

Again, it's just difficult to keep atmosphere when you have outside factors beyond the games control (for example, a friend to crack jokes with) messing with your experience. I wouldn't be opposed to them trying, but I have doubts on how well it would work...
I would disagree with Fusion. But really, I think if it happened it would be an optional thing. Many people would probably prefer to go with the solo Metroid experience, but you'd have the option to do the same experience with someone to work with you.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I would disagree with Fusion. But really, I think if it happened it would be an optional thing. Many people would probably prefer to go with the solo Metroid experience, but you'd have the option to do the same experience with someone to work with you.
To each their own. I found it incredibly immersive, personally!

Yeah, that's probably the case. Either that or it would have a separate multiplayer campaign. Who would player two be?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Fusion was cool, the only thing I didn't like about it was the linearity. I'm not too hot on the computer interaction either, but at least it made for a good moment where Samus screws over the Federation, and if I haven't been waiting a damn decade to see the follow-up to that. Oh, and it has by far the worst Ridley design ever. It does have some incredibly good boss battles though, and I do like the zones themselves. The whole X Parasite theme was also pretty cool, and of course the SA-X moments were awesome.

I don't think it did too much atmospheric though, besides from the SA-X moments, when the Power Reactor shuts off, and when you go underwater after beating Nightmare. As a sidescroller I think Super Metroid did it best, but in general I do think that Metroid Prime 1 did it best of all.

One of the things that also made me dislike Other M was the lack of atmosphere. You'd constantly be interrupted by inner monologue, Adam, or the other Federation guys. There was little time to immerse yourself into your surroundings because you weren't allowed to, which just takes a huge part of Metroid away from me.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Fusion was cool, the only thing I didn't like about it was the linearity. I'm not too hot on the computer interaction either, but at least it made for a good moment where Samus screws over the Federation, and if I haven't been waiting a damn decade to see the follow-up to that. Oh, and it has by far the worst Ridley design ever. It does have some incredibly good boss battles though, and I do like the zones themselves. The whole X Parasite theme was also pretty cool, and of course the SA-X moments were awesome.

I don't think it did too much atmospheric though, besides from the SA-X moments, when the Power Reactor shuts off, and when you go underwater after beating Nightmare. As a sidescroller I think Super Metroid did it best, but in general I do think that Metroid Prime 1 did it best of all.

One of the things that also made me dislike Other M was the lack of atmosphere. You'd constantly be interrupted by inner monologue, Adam, or the other Federation guys. There was little time to immerse yourself into your surroundings because you weren't allowed to, which just takes a huge part of Metroid away from me.
I actually don't mind the Ridley design in that game, the sprite of it, at least. The artwork looks bad, yeah, but the sprite still looks like him to me, unlike Other M's. The bosses in that game, especially Nightmare, were really great as well.

The thing that ruins the Prime games' atmosphere to me is the fact that there are so many enemies that take so long to fight, that don't stay dead. Space Pirates are cool, but I don't want to fight them every time I need to get somewhere. And those Chozo ghosts... -_-

In general I prefer the 2D Metroids to the Prime games, because the combat is quicker and more fun, while the bosses are generally tougher. Additionally, none of the 2D games have Torvus Bog. :( Plus you simply can't beat the shinespark!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I actually don't mind the Ridley design in that game, the sprite of it, at least. The artwork looks bad, yeah, but the sprite still looks like him to me, unlike Other M's. The bosses in that game, especially Nightmare, were really great as well.

The thing that ruins the Prime games' atmosphere to me is the fact that there are so many enemies that take so long to fight, that don't stay dead. Space Pirates are cool, but I don't want to fight them every time I need to get somewhere. And those Chozo ghosts... -_-

In general I prefer the 2D Metroids to the Prime games, because the combat is quicker and more fun, while the bosses are generally tougher. Additionally, none of the 2D games have Torvus Bog. :( Plus you simply can't beat the shinespark!
I prefer the 2D games by far too, the only Prime game I really like is the first one, the two sequels were lacking in everything I loved about the first one.

I don't really mind the Chozo Ghosts, in fact I've always found them pretty hectic because of how their fight is, and I think the Space Pirates are just fine because of the very eerie atmosphere of the Phazon Mines. Most of the time you can skip the Space Pirates too once you have beaten them once in that specific room, same for the Chozo Ghosts, so no big deal imo.

Oh, and when I say I dislike Neo Ridley, it's specifically because of the sprite, I'm not sure if it even has official artwork. It's just those ugly lanky army, his almost fetus-like pose, the ugly blue color they gave him, his jagged up head, not to mention the screech. It's the only design of Ridley I dislike more than the Other M one, which really just looks like a very ugly hybrid of the Super Metroid and Zero Mission designs with added spikes.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I prefer the 2D games by far too, the only Prime game I really like is the first one, the two sequels were lacking in everything I loved about the first one.

I don't really mind the Chozo Ghosts, in fact I've always found them pretty hectic because of how their fight is, and I think the Space Pirates are just fine because of the very eerie atmosphere of the Phazon Mines. Most of the time you can skip the Space Pirates too once you have beaten them once in that specific room, same for the Chozo Ghosts, so no big deal imo.

Oh, and when I say I dislike Neo Ridley, it's specifically because of the sprite, I'm not sure if it even has official artwork. It's just those ugly lanky army, his almost fetus-like pose, the ugly blue color they gave him, his jagged up head, not to mention the screech. It's the only design of Ridley I dislike more than the Other M one, which really just looks like a very ugly hybrid of the Super Metroid and Zero Mission designs with added spikes.
Prime 1 was a good game for sure. I haven't finished 2; it's such a slog...

The Pirates weren't as bad in the first game as they are in the second, where you often do have to fight them to leave the room, even if you've already done so once.

Yeah, I don't mind any of that at all. In fact I actually like his screech...

Man I wish they'd do a sequel to Fusion. I wanna see more of what they do with the infected Samus.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm just throwing random stuff out there since I can't quote and reply to this many posts.

* Player 2 in a co-op could be another bounty hunter. All six bounty hunters from Prime Hunters are still alive, and Spire and Noxus are not actually evil. Or they could make a new hunter, but I dunno.

* Ridley X is unpleasant because it's a frozen corpse being moved around by an alien parasite. I wouldn't expect it to be a beautiful creature of nature.

* Space Pirates in several places you find them to a point make sense, such as their bases in Magmoor Caverns, Phendrana Drifts, Phazon Mines, what have you. And you don't entirely have to fight them. I find myself ignoring them pretty often.

* I agree that Super Metroid has the best atmosphere of 2D Metroids, and Prime 1 has the best atmosphere in the series. I however disagree on combat, since I feel like the combat is one of the biggest flaws with 2D Metroid in general.

* Meta Ridley.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Difference of opinions, I love Metroid Prime 2, but hate Metroid Prime 1.

The only complaints I have about Metroid Prime 2 is that the more powerful guns require ammo, unlike previous Metroid games where you slowly build the most overpowered weapon. While I'm totally fine with the mechanic (and almost prefer it this way), it kind strays from the Metroid series in that way.
The other one is the boring music in the dark world, however it is atmospheric so it doesn't bother me that much.
Everything else in Metroid Prime 2 is just awesome.

Metroid Prime 1 in general is just annoying to me. I'm not sure why though. Maybe it's just because there's a lot of annoying enemies near the start or something (Had to start ignoring enemies and run past them after a while, ugh). Still trying to play through it, but I keep getting bored of it. At least I'm past the Magmoor Caverns bit, I remember that being one of the worst parts in the game.
I don't hate the game for it, and I find it silly, but I'm just curious, why do the flying space pirates have toothpick arms?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Difference of opinions, I love Metroid Prime 2, but hate Metroid Prime 1.

The only complaints I have about Metroid Prime 2 is that the more powerful guns require ammo, unlike previous Metroid games where you slowly build the most overpowered weapon. While I'm totally fine with the mechanic (and almost prefer it this way), it kind strays from the Metroid series in that way.
The other one is the boring music in the dark world, however it is atmospheric so it doesn't bother me that much.
Everything else in Metroid Prime 2 is just awesome.

Metroid Prime 1 in general is just annoying to me. I'm not sure why though. Maybe it's just because there's a lot of annoying enemies near the start or something (Had to start ignoring enemies and run past them after a while, ugh). Still trying to play through it, but I keep getting bored of it. At least I'm past the Magmoor Caverns bit, I remember that being one of the worst parts in the game.
I don't hate the game for it, and I find it silly, but I'm just curious, why do the flying space pirates have toothpick arms?
I honestly didn't like all of the beams having ammo or the dark world thing much myself. But I still enjoyed Prime 2. Getting to the point where you're just running through and ignoring enemies though, I've gotten to that point in just about every Metroid Game.

And they have toothpick arms because aliens. I don't know. A better question is, why do they all look so much different from Prime 2's pirates? And why do those look so different from Prime 3's pirates?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Dark Aether was a dumb idea for a Metroid game. It should've stayed in Zelda where it was clearly born. I also don't like the ammo thing.

majora_787

Smash Hero
All I know is I don't even want to know how that thing was made, or why they picked a mask that doesn't actually look much less disconcerting than its normal face.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I had no idea that thing was supposed to be Nightmare until it was pointed out to me. Fusion's Nightmare is so much better.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's probably kind of lame, but one of my scariest gaming moments had to be in Metroid Prime 3, when you're walking through that lab with all the... phaazoids? I think? in test tubes. And then you turn off the power or something and YOU JUST KNOW they all escaped and you have to walk down those halls with loose Metroids and honestly I quit the game and waited until the next day to play because I just didn't want to deal with that.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I had no idea that thing was supposed to be Nightmare until it was pointed out to me. Fusion's Nightmare is so much better.
You mean Mr. lazily float around in a small square room and shoot laser beams to the left, while he supposedly increases gravity to hinder jumping abilities?

I wouldn't call that better, but whatever floats your... aquatic... receptacle?

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
You mean Mr. lazily float around in a small square room and shoot laser beams to the left, while he supposedly increases gravity to hinder jumping abilities?

I wouldn't call that better, but whatever floats your... aquatic... receptacle?
I meant in design. Other M's Nightmare looks hideous.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I meant in design. Other M's Nightmare looks hideous.
Oh. Admittedly, I am usually too distracted by the leaking green face pouring out of its... business... to actually pay attention to the difference in design. I mean off the top of my head, its face was more solid in Other M. But I don't remember much else.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Oh. Admittedly, I am usually too distracted by the leaking green face pouring out of its... business... to actually pay attention to the difference in design. I mean off the top of my head, its face was more solid in Other M. But I don't remember much else.
I dunno, its model in Other M just looks silly to me, and its face and face-plate don't look as good, in my opinion. I dunno though.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I dunno, its model in Other M just looks silly to me, and its face and face-plate don't look as good, in my opinion. I dunno though.
I don't know. Generally it's easier to make stuff look good in 2d sprites and 3d models, even if 3d models look better than 2d sprites when done amazingly. /opinions

It was dark and many moons ago. I can't remember Other M Nightmare's design differences for the life of me.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I don't know. Generally it's easier to make stuff look good in 2d sprites and 3d models, even if 3d models look better than 2d sprites when done amazingly. /opinions

It was dark and many moons ago. I can't remember Other M Nightmare's design differences for the life of me.
I Googled it. :awesome:

You're right, it is often tougher to make a model look as good as a sprite, but I think the art direction in Other M put me off, since I don't like most designs from it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I Googled it. :awesome:

You're right, it is often tougher to make a model look as good as a sprite, but I think the art direction in Other M put me off, since I don't like most designs from it.
Possibly. Maybe I should stop talking about visuals in a game I haven't played for a couple of years though. :p

Triangles

Smash Rookie
I think it's time for me to defend Ridley.

People have said Ridley is too big. Well, yeah, Ridley is a big character but only in the Metroid universe. This isn't the Metroid universe, it's the Smash Bros. universe. Size has never been relevant.

In Corneria, the Arwings look too small to fit Fox, heck, Olimar would have trouble, and he is suppose to be the size of a penny. Size has never been a problem. Just think of the game as Nintendo toys fighting in playsets. When you think of it, that's pretty much what the Smash Bros. universe is. According to the opening of Smash 64, basically, the universe is really just the imagination of a child (Master Hand) playing with his toys (characters). Maybe that's why characters like Pikachu and Olimar are close to the size of Link and Samus. They're just toys, and maybe the child has yet to get that right size Ridley toy to have him play around with everyone else.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Always hated the Nightmare design in Other M, he looked like a green duck above all else. The fight was kind of... bland too, as far as I remember at least, I just remember him dragging himself around the floor... which you just jump-avoided... like everything else in the game...

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think it's time for me to defend Ridley.

People have said Ridley is too big. Well, yeah, Ridley is a big character but only in the Metroid universe. This isn't the Metroid universe, it's the Smash Bros. universe. Size has never been relevant.

In Corneria, the Arwings look too small to fit Fox, heck, Olimar would have trouble, and he is suppose to be the size of a penny. Size has never been a problem. Just think of the game as Nintendo toys fighting in playsets. When you think of it, that's pretty much what the Smash Bros. universe is. According to the opening of Smash 64, basically, the universe is really just the imagination of a child (Master Hand) playing with his toys (characters). Maybe that's why characters like Pikachu and Olimar are close to the size of Link and Samus. They're just toys, and maybe the child has yet to get that right size Ridley toy to have him play around with everyone else.
Welcome to the Ridley thread.

And yeah basically. The size argument is literally the least effective at disproving Ridley, and the other arguments against him are all pretty silly.

- He's too big and can't be resized. (I learned how to resize in one semester of high school 3D animation. It is not difficult in the slightest.)
- I personally hold in my individual opinion that he would look silly at a smaller size. This means he is impossible. (I think he looks so silly at a smaller size that he HAS to be playable.)
- He was never playable. (Oh, Ganondorf. What a joker, that guy.)
- He is too serious of a villain. (Oh, Ganondorf. What a joker, that guy.)
- Metroid doesn't deserve more than one character. (Mother, anyone?)
- Anthony Higgs is a way better choice. (Yes I have actually heard this.)
- Sakurai has given him a very specific role in the smash series. (Yep. As a background character in 64, a trophy and character in the intro in Melee, and a boss in Brawl. What a rigid unchanging role.)
- If you look at fanmade hacks, Ridley can't look good at Samus' size, not even if a professional does it from scratch. (This speaks for itself.)
- Sakurai's opinions on characters never change, so Ridley will never be playable. (I remember when Villager was deemed impossible by Sakurai.)

All of these are extremely silly and pretty easily deflectable arguments against Ridley that I've seen.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Using "Other: M Hating Glasses" or not, i never thougth even poor Nightmare would be bashed too, whats next, "Mother Brain doesnt look like Mother Brain in the intro cutscene"?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Using "Other: M Hating Glasses" or not, i never thougth even poor Nightmare would be bashed too, whats next, "Mother Brain doesnt look like Mother Brain in the intro cutscene"?
Actually, the actual brain itself was incredibly small compared to her big eye, made her look a bit silly. The brain should easily be the biggest part of her head.

I'm sorry, I know I know, but that's been my opinion even before I played the game, when I was actually looking forward to it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Actually, the actual brain itself was incredibly small compared to her big eye, made her look a bit silly. The brain should easily be the biggest part of her head.

I'm sorry, I know I know, but that's been my opinion even before I played the game, when I was actually looking forward to it.
Am I the only one who thought Mother Brain looked silly in general when she came out of the jar and revealed her brain was just mounted on an absurd T-rex-y body?

Top Bottom