• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yeah sorry about that, but seriously people need to read more, he or she can read about 20 pages in this thread and probably will found out about every single question and answer about this character, I´m not asking to read the whole thing but at least some part of it and I almost 99% sure that his or her answer could be answered.
.n_n.
to be fair, there are over 300 pages in this thread. I wouldn't even know where to start if I saw this as a newb. which 20 pages exactly would be too much effort. and these pages are long.

in her very first post, the first thing she said was sorry if its been brought up, but 300 pages is too crazy long to check through, so...

not everyone can be bothered to devote as much time to his lord and master ridley as we do : P

Alsom angelglory, your pics so fuxing amazing, they keep me warm at night. I'm hoarding them all in one folder because it is going to be a long, cold winter.

I "got" it from the start, Welshy. I'm mostly just done with explaining my stance. I'm not here to pick a fight or convert you, you know. Merely showing an alternate standpoint others might not have noticed.
Thank you for posting in a logical and reasonable format, I apologize that you've been greeted with such a dismissive tone.

to be fair, though, the 'too big' bit has been the most posted on thing in this thread, so do give the responders some slack for not being completely rational in their dismissal.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I just realized my post from last page disappeared.

I'm not re-typing all of that. But geeze. Only the Ridley thread just eats my posts. :p

majora_787

Smash Hero
Too big for the Rdley thread? Then how did it eat my post. :p

And besides. The only thing too big for the Ridley thread is Ridley.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm just going to say Other M isn't that bad

If this was directed towards me, I posted that ironically. I loved Other M despite its flaws, and more often than not defend it.

But I've got kids to feed, so I gotta keep up my like quota.

majora_787

Smash Hero
If this was directed towards me, I posted that ironically. I loved Other M despite its flaws, and more often than not defend it.

But I've got kids to feed, so I gotta keep up my like quota.
I can never tell. So many people give Other M such an unreasonable amount of hate so frequently that I generally just assume it's serious. :p

majora_787

Smash Hero
Here! I despise Other M. Direct your hate at me!
It's not even hate. It just bugs me that literally every complaint I have ever seen about Other M is over things that aren't actually wrong with the game. I generally don't hear stuff like "The scanning sections were a bad idea" or "That wasn't even a fight with MB, scanning sections are a REALLY bad idea". Not really even gameplay complaints most of the time. As a game, it's in my top three Metroids, even if it does have the issues of being in a ship (The weakest game-long environments IMO) and the terribly done mandatory scanning segments.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
It's not even hate. It just bugs me that literally every complaint I have ever seen about Other M is over things that aren't actually wrong with the game. I generally don't hear stuff like "The scanning sections were a bad idea" or "That wasn't even a fight with MB, scanning sections are a REALLY bad idea". Not really even gameplay complaints most of the time. As a game, it's in my top three Metroids, even if it does have the issues of being in a ship (The weakest game-long environments IMO) and the terribly done mandatory scanning segments.
That's because to most people who complain about it, the poor gameplay was the highlight of the game. I really don't want to debate about it now (I'm super not in the mood and not feeling up for it), and especially not here, but I cannot bring myself to respect a game where Samus is depicted as a submissive and stupid woman. The gameplay, by comparison, is okay, even if it should have been controlled with a Wii Remote and Nunchuk.

majora_787

Smash Hero
That's because to most people who complain about it, the poor gameplay was the highlight of the game. I really don't want to debate about it now (I'm super not in the mood and not feeling up for it), and especially not here, but I cannot bring myself to respect a game where Samus is depicted as a submissive and stupid woman. The gameplay, by comparison, is okay, even if it should have been controlled with a Wii Remote and Nunchuk.
Then I'll let it sit as a disagreement of interpretations and opinion of the actual gameplay. This isn't really the thread for that anyway.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Personally, I think that the story (specifically, the fleshing out of Samus) was the worst part by far. I can't speak for the gameplay at all, since I've never played it, but they just didn't do Samus right, in my opinion.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The story was already in place from the manga, the 2D games (including Fusion) and the Metroid universe in general. Things like the Ridley scene were pretty well done for what they had to work with, imo. They just conveyed it poorly the other 90% of the game.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The story was already in place from the manga, the 2D games (including Fusion) and the Metroid universe in general. Things like the Ridley scene were pretty well done for what they were working with, imo. They just conveyed it poorly the other 90% of the game.
It seems like a lot of the game is made of "good ideas that were exactly that. Good ideas." But I felt they did pretty well with several things, considering.

Hopefully it'll be a learning experience for future Metroids.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Hopefully there is future Metroids.
Worst case scenario it goes into another coma before we get the next Metroid Prime of the series or something. I doubt it's going to go the way of F-Zero or Star Fox, but... I guess it's not impossible? I'm just not believing that til I see it. :p

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The story was already in place from the manga, the 2D games (including Fusion) and the Metroid universe in general. Things like the Ridley scene were pretty well done for what they had to work with, imo. They just conveyed it poorly the other 90% of the game.
But Samus was still a very strong character who we, at the very least know, had accomplished very great feats on her own. In Other M, they really downplay her to be a stereotypically submissive and weak woman that was unable to do much of anything without asking first. That's not who Samus was, and it shouldn't be who Samus is. I mean, I may be looking at it the wrong way, but I was put off from buying it just because of that.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'll just say this much on the story: It's good ideas on paper bogged down by poor execution. The Ridley scene for instance could've worked if they had identified the cause correctly (they don't even state why Samus is freaking out nor imply her relationship with Ridley) and had her grow from her failure. Instead, The story drops the Ridley subplot just as quickly as they bring it up, they don't care to explain anything about why that scene happened and they don't give it the time it needs, so the scene falls flat and everyone's confused why she freaked out, especially in comparison to previous encounters with him. The same can be said with the rest of the story and the characters, if each element was given the time it needed, it wouldn't be that bad, but unfortunately that's not what happened. Instead the story conveys a very poorly developed character with uninteresting background characters that are inconsequential to the story aside from a few, and one of them comes off as a jerkass due to his actions rather then us respecting him like the story wants us to.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Pro-tip: We never saw under Samus' helmet much prior to this game. For all we know, she's been monologueing under it and y'know, been human all along this entire time. I understand the whole stereotype argument well, I just think it's dumb people overlook a few things (such as the fact that her being a woman means NOTHING considering she willingly put herself in the situation to work with the Federation on their terms, which included being "weak and submissive" lest she be treated as hostile/a traitor. I'm feminist to the logical extreme, yet I never got any of the vibes people are always claiming "ruined" the character for them).

Why is it when we run out of things to talk about it always comes back to this?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Was there another "Ridley is too cool" person in here.

"Ridley is pretty cool, but if he was playable, obviously that would make him lame as per Smash's precedent of only adding lame characters or something. Are you okay with him being lame?"

What the gosh darn.

What kind of fan would any of us be if we were given the opportunity to see our favorite character in new situations that would be impossible to see normally, and be like "nah man, I literally only ever want to see Ridley get shot up by Samus all the time." How is getting to see Ridley get lulled to sleep by a singing balloon not a PLUS in any way you put it? How is that not awesome? That is just a ridiculous and absurd thing, why would you not want to see it? Who cares if it's lame? Ridley is so cool all the rest of the time, of course you want to see him be lame too. BECAUSE YOU LIKE HIM AS A CHARACTER.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Let us bow our heads in reverence of Toad. May our scaly purple pirate commander escape a similar fate.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
So I was looking at some sonic lost world videos and this is the first thing I tought when I have seen the intro cutscene :

Welshy91

Smash Ace
*Samus pulls out a meatshield Ridley as her new Neutral Special*

Sakurai: What? I said "her moves can still be refreshed." :troll:
This whole situation is like being a gazelle watching another gazelle being eaten by a lion. You feel bad for them, but you're really glad you're not in their shoes.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If/When Ridley is confirmed for SSB4, there HAS to be a picture with him using his side A to bite Toad. And it will be like, "No, don't eat me! I have a family, eat them!"

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I should have clarified. The Side A was derived from Oasis_S's moveset for Ridley.

Anyways, the Pyrosphere didn't kill Ridley. Yoshio Sakamoto The Metroid Queen did.

majora_787

Smash Hero
And even then RIdley wasn't dead because X parasites, plot devices, and Ridley not dying. Even though he was already dead.

Top Bottom