• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
I would love to be able to play as Ridley. I'm honestly fed up of Samus being the only Metroid rep and Ridley is the other obvious choice. He'd be interesting. And him being too big is a bunch of baloney. Bowser was HUGE in some Mario games, and he made it in, at a decent size.

Here's to hoping that this thread gets noticed by the devs. :p

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
Apologies if this has been brought up in the last 300 (seriously?) pages, but I have a message to people arguing about Ridley "not being too big";

it's not a matter of being able to, mods have shown it is perfectly possible. It's the matter of intimidation. Ridley might just be the 'scariest' villain in all of Nintendo franchises. Big teeth, big wings, scary skeletal structure. This creature very much intimidates on base of its exterior.

Personally, I don't really care whether Ridley is playable or not. If it makes you happy, sure! You just got to make sure if you feel okay with Ridley single-handedly being beaten by Jigglypuff. I, on the other hand, am already very comfortable with it being a background character affecting the entire stage or boss battle. It keeps him dominant.

majora_787

Smash Hero
You know who else is intimidating or out of place? Ganondorf? Snake? You know, games where they succeed at or are in the process of destroying the world with hordes of monsters and are only fallen by a very specific legendary hero? Or a legendary soldier who is known for use of firearms and violently snapping necks?

Both of these "serious imposing characters" are also featured in situations where they can be comedically trampled by Jigglypuff and Yoshi. The only real difference is Ridley isn't more humanoid, he's more dragon.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Why is Ridley any different than Ganondorf in this scenario?

Like, at all?

Actually, Ridley getting beaten up by Jigglypuff is much likelier than Ganon getting beaten up by Jigglypuff, because the only thing that can hurt Ganon is the Master Sword.

But, y'know, it's a non-canon crossover fighting game, so none of this actually matters.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Snake was never intimidating.

I will hand you that Ganondorf is a relatively scary villain and watching him get beat up by pink balls is silly fun. Do you want Ridley being part of such a joke, though?
Don't care, just like I don't care about intimidating characters in other fighting games that get beat up by cutesy characters, I just want to play as them. Ultimately it doesn't matter as it happens all the time and Ridley would just be another drop in that pool.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Part of me thinks this is an elaborate troll on an alternate account...

The other part thinks this is a nice person who simply hasn't heard the solution before.

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
@Zhadgon
I do have brain cells, sweetheart. For example; I don't have to resort to insults and 9gag gifs to have a discussion.

@Arcinir
Cool. Me too.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
it just accrued to me but remember how I said on Friday for Zelda for link between worlds release or little mac on Thursday for the punch out anniversary

I just relized a character who can present for Thursdays smash bros melee anniversary if sakurai confirms a character tomorrow for melee anniversary

0:27 0:30

Ridley can present for super smash bros melee anniversary because of him in the intro I mean after all he is smaller in the melee intro

but without a doubt don't even think this because of mostly revealing veterans

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
@Zhadgon
I do have brain cells, sweetheart. For example; I don't have to resort to insults and 9gag gifs to have a discussion.

@Arcinir
Cool. Me too.
Well sorry for the insult but seriously if you see a thread that supports a character and has 307 pages of discussion and is the biggest support thread here in SmashBoards what do you think will happen if you comment about Ridley not fitting or that it will not be the same because is playable and then can be beaten by two small pink and cute balls of happiness (Jigglypuff and Kirby) when in the previous Smash you can defeat Ridley as Boss with the same characters, tell me again what is the difference?
.n_n.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@Zhadgon
Some you guys are a little too guilty of this

just remember, not wanting ridley to be in /not thinking ridley would work doesn't automatically mean troll.

stay civil for ridley's image pls

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Some you guys are a little too guilty of this

just remember, not wanting ridley to be in /not thinking ridley would work doesn't automatically mean troll.

stay civil for ridley's image pls
Yeah sorry about that, but seriously people need to read more, he or she can read about 20 pages in this thread and probably will found out about every single question and answer about this character, I´m not asking to read the whole thing but at least some part of it and I almost 99% sure that his or her answer could be answered.
.n_n.

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
As a boss, it (for a common player) takes multiple characters and more time to beat Ridley, putting him on a level beyond a common fighter. He couldn't simply get launched, he did major damage and even after you beat the first battle, he later in the story comes back for more! If he's playable, he'll go flying around as much as Princess Peach. I'm only mentioning this since a lot of people seem to be under the impression it's purely the technical limitations that counterarguments bring up when size is mentioned.

As I said, I don't particularly feel one way or the other. He can be a fighter for all you want. He'll just lose a lot of street cred when he is.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
He'll just lose a lot of street cred when he is.
Because that definitely happened with Ganondorf. And Bowser. And Mewtwo. And Wolf. Oh wait.

The entire concept of Smash Bros. is silly. Kirby beating up Link is silly. Mr. Game and Watch taking down Bowser is silly. But no one cares. What makes Ridley so very different?

majora_787

Smash Hero
As a boss, it (for a common player) takes multiple characters and more time to beat Ridley, putting him on a level beyond a common fighter. He couldn't simply get launched, he did major damage and even after you beat the first battle, he later in the story comes back for more! If he's playable, he'll go flying around as much as Princess Peach. I'm only mentioning this since a lot of people seem to be under the impression it's purely the technical limitations that counterarguments bring up when size is mentioned.

As I said, I don't particularly feel one way or the other. He can be a fighter for all you want. He'll just lose a lot of street cred when he is.
If anything he would get more street cred. He would be able to show up on any arena at any time and take on any opponents in fights that they could actually lose. As a boss, Ridley isn't fantastically intelligent, and only shows up a couple of times in a haphazard attempt to fight for the Subspace army.

He'd have a lot better cred as a fighter than as a SSE boss, and definitely better cred than as a background object.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Now that I think about it, it would've been funnily ironic if the part in the SSE where Pikachu zapped Ridley when he was dragging Samus across a wall was a premise to fighting him as a regular character which then he would be unlocked... Because face it, was Brawl Ridley still as "intimidating" after Pikachu 'grounded' him? If SSE Ridley was as intimidating as some make him out to be, I would think he would've shrugged off that thunderbolt or dodged it or something while he was toying with Samus, like how he was dodging Anthony's plasma blasts while holding onto her in Other M, if I recall correctly.

Regardless though, I don't have a problem with MrsAccount's stance on Ridley. Not everyone has to want him playable or is a troll, idiot, or something if they don't.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm just going to say Other M isn't that bad and the real joke here is him being the main antagonist of a major nintendo franchise but being shafted to a stage appearance, a trophy, an animation in an intro, and a boss fight without being a playable character and then leave it at that.

D

Deleted member

Let's see, a predictable moving target being beaten by puffballs vs. a capable fighter being beaten by puffballs.

Which sounds more demeaning?

EDIT: Note that the former gets its ass kicked near 100% of the time, and the latter is actually able to fight back and win.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Damn you majora for burying my post on the previous page just moments after I did it. xD Getting buried by Angel would've been more acceptable.

Now that I think about it, it would've been funnily ironic if the part in the SSE where Pikachu zapped Ridley when he was dragging Samus across a wall was a premise to fighting him as a regular character which then he would be unlocked... Because face it, was Brawl Ridley still as "intimidating" after Pikachu 'grounded' him? If SSE Ridley was as intimidating as some make him out to be, I would think he would've shrugged off that thunderbolt or dodged it or something while he was toying with Samus, like how he was dodging Anthony's plasma blasts while holding onto her in Other M, if I recall correctly.

Regardless though, I don't have a problem with MrsAccount's stance on Ridley. Not everyone has to want him playable or is a troll, idiot, or something if they don't.

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
What makes Ridley so very different?
I could go on about the threat they built him up to be in the canon Metroid story, on how Ridley has committed murders far more personal than Ganondorf ever did but screw it. As you mention, in the end, this is just a silly game about Mario beating up Yoshi.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I could go on about the threat they built him up to be in the canon Metroid story, on how Ridley has committed murders far more personal than Ganondorf ever did but screw it. As you mention, in the end, this is just a silly game about Mario beating up Yoshi.
Which is why personality and representation in-game don't matter even a little!

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon

Well you could say that but I´m sure you can kill Ridley with only one character so your argument is still invalid, you know he can fly so being launched in the sky is nothing for him, If I must say Other M did a worse job with Ridley about his street cred with this image
Than what Sakurai could possible make for Ridley in this new Smash.
.n_n.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
It only took ya 4 messages to get it. That's gotta be a new record.

D

Deleted member

@Zhadgon: Unless of course....Sakurai has Little Birdie Ridley playable.

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
I "got" it from the start, Welshy. I'm mostly just done with explaining my stance. I'm not here to pick a fight or convert you, you know. Merely showing an alternate standpoint others might not have noticed.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I "got" it from the start, Welshy. I'm mostly just done with explaining my stance.
Because your stance has been soundly defeated by logic. It's ok though, you've come to see the error of your ways and forsake your silly notions of "street cred" in a crossover.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I "got" it from the start, Welshy. I'm mostly just done with explaining my stance. I'm not here to pick a fight or convert you, you know. Merely showing an alternate standpoint others might not have noticed.
You think your point hasn't being brought out after 307 pages? Seriously?
@Zhadgon: Unless of course....Sakurai has Little Birdie Ridley playable.
And he will still kick ass:

.n_n.

Top Bottom