• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

I support Ridley for SSB4. When I was a kid playing Melee and I saw the intro, I was hoping that Ridley was playable... too bad that didn't happen. Then Brawl came around and I was hoping to see him be playable! Then... I found out that he was a boss in the SSE... twice in fact. (both fights were lame in my opinion)

If any villain needs to be playable, it's Ridley and I, like many others, see moveset potential in him. Besides, he's a giant purple dragon that's a pirate and that's awesome.

PS: I feel bad for those people who saw Melee's E3 Trailer many years ago and thought Ridley was playable...

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm copying over part of my latest Rate Their Chances post, since I don't believe the viewpoint it presents has been discussed in relation to its opposite.

I'll use this space to point out the reason I'd rather see Ridley playable than as a boss, considering the opposite has been brought up in debates as an ideal solution using some variation of the following: Ridley can be more believable/awesome/in-character/potato as a boss because he can have more massive and unbalanced attacks.

The unspoken fear this sentiment contains is that as a character, Ridley is insultingly diminished because he's holding back, he can wear Bunny Hoods, he can be walked off edges and be tossed around like a rag doll. Beyond the obvious dismissal of this as subjective and precedented through other playable badasses, I feel that, as a boss, Ridley is even worse off. In Brawl, the moment his small collection of attacks is committed to memory, he becomes a pathetic pushover that, on a good day, can be rushed through in a matter of seconds...a mobile vegetable, if you will. As a character, players have no shortage of opportunity to compete with Ridley, potentially putting up intense fights or winning major competitions utilizing the devilish and cunning tactics so synonymous with the character.

tl;dr Both roles offer the potential for both abject humiliation and ruthless dominance, but I feel the ceiling for the latter is far higher with playable Ridley, whereas the floor(?) for the former is far lower with boss Ridley.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I never really found the whole "Ridley shouldn't be a character because he'd be silly running around with a Bunny Hood" arguments very good, I mean, we have Ganondorf who is far more threatening and evil in his own game, and while it looks silly that's part of what makes Smash Bros fun. Ridley already looked a tad goofy as a boss too.

I do however agree with the post, making him a boss is downright insulting not only to his potential, but to his character and fighting style. The post was pretty well written in general, I wasn't so sure what way it was heading, but I was gladly surprised.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LudFV61zsaw

dark phaazon you needa get on that
Meh.....i have given up.....on IsmaR im just gonna kick her A** at Sm4sh when it release....

Tough love

RealTalk

PS: Im high atm its all gooooohdddd.

PS the link above the youtube one is what im listening to full blast....drowning my sorrows like im plunginh into the depths....but my throat and lips are as dry as shifting sand land from Super Mario 64......RealTalk.....

S_it man.....you guys.....

Are you asking me to send the dream to you.
YeHHHHH DuRr come on Bruv...be Real.....

OooSooooooO whats good son?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I dunno, I think I was dreaming of my lady too so if you want to see it then you'll have to run it by Ismar and if she wants you looking at other ladies.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I dunno, I think I was dreaming of my lady too so if you want to see it then you'll have to run it by Ismar and if she wants you looking at other ladies.
There is no me & ImaR anymore/ever was? XD.

I aint gonna lieeee though Meta-Ridley is sooo awsome its like he should be the default Ridley.

Also who would dig a 3D HD Super Metroid?

Damnnnnnnn they remake the f_ck outta over s_it damnn just do it! RealTalk.

Yoooooo thoughh waaa u sayn though Oasis?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Whatsapp the Dream to me now !

Holy **** the first WhatsApp mentoin I've seen on the internet ever!

Also, you Ridley fans will get Other M Ridley playable most likely. How you feel about this?

To me, it would kinda feel as if Diddy would've gotten in Brawl with a Jungle Beat-inspired look. Aka: not so pretty.

Is the long wait for Ridley worth it?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Also, you Ridley fans will get Other M Ridley playable most likely. How you feel about this?

To me, it would kinda feel as if Diddy would've gotten in Brawl with a Jungle Beat-inspired look. Aka: not so pretty.

Yo Yooooo Diddy? Wa you sayn though? Its been time man....weres the love son?
We still boys yh?

Also bruv...what can i say.....every char so far is looking on point im sure Sakurai wouldnt rip other m Ridley straight out and slide him in because he jasent for any other chars so far.

It will be alright i aint really worried to be honest......its all good what should we be greatful now because we finally got the bone thats long over due......boy......

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Don't worry we cool bruv. :laugh: To be honest, I kinda came here cause you won't post anywhere else these days!

I think that Ridley will look most like his Other M self though. Like Samus, but probably updated still. Needles to say, I except a lot of butthurt on Ridley's appearance when he's revealed.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Don't worry we cool bruv. :laugh: To be honest, I kinda came here cause you won't post anywhere else these days!

I think that Ridley will look most like his Other M self though. Like Samus, but probably updated still. Needles to say, I except a lot of butthurt on Ridley's appearance when he's revealed.
I Respect that i Respect that its all good.

I hear your views i saw them in the ''Rate there chances vid''

Tbh d_ck riding aside even though......i fully respect WarioFan's view on the whole **** its ''Realistic''

I hear that i respect it i fully understand char support/passion and love for the char but to bend general expectaions because of it is bias and its ill judgment....

But then you know....our realistic judgment our perspective i bet is different than Sakurai's to an extent....im just thinking your digging Anthony but why really?

Not attacking you on a Real one just curious.

Is it because

#1 you personally like him more

#2 he is easier to program

#3 you think Sakurai would pick him ovee Ridley?

I mean like i dunno about PeePz like Oasis....its difficult to see him because i dunno if its just me but to be honest i dunno whens hes being Real or Sarcastic....

Like @Oasis you actually think Ridley will no doubt 100/ get in?

Because i dont.....

Do i think he deserves based on representation and popularity and the other side bring something new and unique to the roster like DDD did? Hell yeah i think so....

But its hard because that last bit depends on his moveset which is made by Sakurai....

We all know how much Potential and diversity Ganondorf ''Could'' have brang to smash.....

Deep S_it

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No I don't really prefer Anthony Higgs over Ridley, honestly, I'd say Ridley does indeed deserve it more than Anthony Higgs. However, MANthony has his own sence of comedy vallue :laugh: He'd be a hilarious character, much like Captain Falcon, Mr.Game & Watch or Wario, possibly more.

However, he's definitely easier to program. And personally, I do like him more. He's only just not more deserving than Ridley. It's kinda like... Wanting Fawful from Mario & Luigi over Paper Mario or Toad. Or wanting Blastoise to replace Jigglypuff. Will probably not happen, but I'd like it anyway.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
No I don't really prefer Anthony Higgs over Ridley, honestly, I'd say Ridley does indeed deserve it more than Anthony Higgs. However, MANthony has his own sence of comedy vallue :laugh: He'd be a hilarious character, much like Captain Falcon, Mr.Game & Watch or Wario, possibly more.

However, he's definitely easier to program. And personally, I do like him more. He's only just not more deserving than Ridley. It's kinda like... Wanting Fawful from Mario & Luigi over Paper Mario or Toad. Or wanting Blastoise to replace Jigglypuff. Will probably not happen, but I'd like it anyway.
Hmmmmm i hear that....what do you think people would think of how Sakurai thinks about metroid in Smash if Anthony got in over Ridley.....? RealTalk....

Like a Joke right?

Well it goes Hero>SideKick>Villian as in chance though...you could say.....

Its cool i respect that and yes it would be funny but PeePz dont take to kindly to supposdly joke chars or chars that been labled as...

Jiggly
G&W
R.O.B
WFT

but yh.....me personally....i think its wrong....him getting in with or after Ridley is fine....

It feel as if to me like people wanting in Toad before Bowser....

Except Bowser is more popular than Ridley and Toad is tonessss more popular than anthony.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I do, honestly, see Ridley as inevitable. I can't see it any other way. Obviously I'm biased, but putting that aside as much as I can, that is still just the way I see things happening and I do not at all think it will or could go any differently. I completely understand that all of this "most requested" and "no your mom's too big lol" junk is ultimately meaningless when it's all up to Sakurai's decision, but for as much as I can comprehend how the developmental process works, and as much as I understand how Sakurai's mind works after all I've seen and read over the years, I fully expect that is the decision he will definitely go with. For as much as my word is worth, which is nothing, I say, undoubtedly, Ridley is 100% absolutely going to be playable.

And if I'm wrong I'm not going to go cry a river over it, lol.

IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR FROM ME, DARK PHAZON?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I do, honestly, see Ridley as inevitable. I can't see it any other way. Obviously I'm biased, but putting that aside as much as I can, that is still just the way I see things happening and I do not at all think it will or could go any differently. I completely understand that all of this "most requested" and "no your mom's too big lol" junk is ultimately meaningless when it's all up to Sakurai's decision, but for as much as I can comprehend how the developmental process works, and as much as I understand how Sakurai's mind works after all I've seen and read over the years, I fully expect that is the decision he will definitely go with. For as much as my word is worth, which is nothing, I say, undoubtedly, Ridley is 100% absolutely going to be playable.

And if I'm wrong I'm not going to go cry a river over it, lol.

IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR FROM ME, DARK PHAZON?
RealTalk i feel that i greatly appreciate you sharing that with me its what i wanted to know thank you.

@Diddy - Bro if anything f_ck me yh forget about me ok im out the picture now look at the whole thing from a RealTalk perspective.

Metroid is based of Aliens we a particular Alien/beast that is re occuring and plays a major role in the whole story of the thing.

In Smash we have 3 Chars basef of the series.

The main char and the main char again with less clothes and a commanding officer...all human....lmfaoooo Epic fail or what? Wheres the loop? The opposition? How s_it is metroid should just be a army war game against evil milatary or some s_it....

Wheres the f_cking Alien/Beast/Ridley?

Its a Epic fail beyond belief thats why i hear Oasis because at this point in time the situation is a joke.....its beyond a joke that Ridley isnt playable because however way you look at it it just doesnt make any sense...regaurdless of your perspective because its just that clear black and white its like Sakurai finally saw the same s_it in pokemon....like wait a sec...for 10+ years you been playing as a kid....not a pokemon....its intresting.....

(PS: Yo....this Weed...is some thinking s_it RealTalk...got my brain going....metroid music helps)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Perhaps I should state I never seen Alien. I'm probably a criminal of the lowest level of scumbaggery, but I felt this should be said.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
PS: I feel bad for those people who saw Melee's E3 Trailer many years ago and thought Ridley was playable...
Tell me about it. I really though Ridley had a good shot at getting in when I saw that he had a big appearance in the trailer. Heck, seeing Ridley in the background to Smash 64 was such a tease.

Still waiting after all these years. There are probably posters here that are younger than the wait I have had for Ridley. Hopefully 2014 is the last year that we will have to wait.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tell me about it. I really though Ridley had a good shot at getting in when I saw that he had a big appearance in the trailer. Heck, seeing Ridley in the background to Smash 64 was such a tease.

Still waiting after all these years. There are probably posters here that are younger than the wait I have had for Ridley. Hopefully 2014 is the last year that we will have to wait.

Chrono, how'd you feel though if they indeed do style Ridley's playable model after Other M? Would you be content with it? I know you've probably waited the longest time for Ridley, but how would you feel? Also, what's your general opinion about Other M as a game?

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
The Character Analysis Thread brought up a good point...

Considering that Olimar came back instead of using one of the new captains for Pikmin 3, maybe there is a slight chance Other M Ridley won't be used. Then again, Sakurai likely chose Olimar because Pikmin 3 wasn't out yet nor were the new captains revealed by the time he started working on SSB4's roster.

The latter probably dispels the former. But still...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Considering Olimar shows up in 3 as well, I don't think it mattered much and they went with him due to icon status.

If Sakurai does go with the Other M design, I have no doubt they'll touch it up like they did Samus.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=049nZc7RZ20

RealTalk.

You seem to be a little redundant as far as asking this, but hell yeah it's worth it. The Other M look isn't my favorite either, but I also don't hate it as much as others. Could care less about some of my brethren getting butthurt over it at this point too as long as he's playable. Realistically I see playability as somewhere from 50 to 70 percent-ish of happening.

maybe he liked samus' other m design and thought ridley's was ugly.
Depends on his taste I guess. Sakurai could've also been like "I don't like this design for Ridley much but it's from the latest Metroid so I'll go with it anyway". There's also what IsmaR said about touching up the design even if they do go with it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Character Analysis Thread brought up a good point...

Considering that Olimar came back instead of using one of the new captains for Pikmin 3, maybe there is a slight chance Other M Ridley won't be used. Then again, Sakurai likely chose Olimar because Pikmin 3 wasn't out yet nor were the new captains revealed by the time he started working on SSB4's roster.

The latter probably dispels the former. But still...
Olimar still appears in Pikmin 3 however, and is designed after his Pikmin 3 design even. Other M Samus more than likely means Other M Ridley. Sorry people.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, there'll be a lot of butthurt if he uses his Other M model, which is a no-brainer that he will use in whatever role he's given in the game. Having waited nearly 10 years now I don't give a damn, I just want to play as my favorite video game character, and his Other M model isn't the ugliest thing of all ugliness as some people treat it like. Sure I'd like the Brawl boss model A LOT more, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that Ridley remains my most wanted character, and I'd still main him in the blink of an eye, the sheer victory of him getting in as a character alone would erase any kind of despise I might've had for the model (though as I said, I don't think it's too bad.) And this is coming from someone who HATES Other M, heck, I even think Samus' new design fits Smash Bros a lot more than the previous one did.

D

Deleted member

Except that Mewtwo could easily have both forms in the game.

It's not like we can have both Other M Ridley and Super Metroid Ridley to appease everyone.

That being said, I have really no issue about Other M Ridley outside the duckface.

Top Bottom