• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I kinda want Ridley to follow that example and summon Kraid to eat everyone.

A fancy tail stab animation in place of the trident, obv.
and lava instead of water

*waits for some moron to "defend the canon sizes" while wearing the "Nintendo only" man thong*
>.>

<.<

where did you find my thong

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I just think the Melee Ridley design is more... "compact." It's simpler, it looks more vicious, and heck, it might be more interesting.
I personally think it lacks a lot in head details, which is quite important to Ridley's look, and it kind of looks like a painted sculpture rather than an actual living being, and his head kind of looks like an eggplant. Then again, Samus looks like an action figure in Melee, so it was likely just because of the Gamecube's limited graphical capabilities, which makes sense taking into consideration that the Brawl model was just an updated version of the Melee one more or less.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I personally think it lacks a lot in head details, which is quite important to Ridley's look, and it kind of looks like a painted sculpture rather than an actual living being, and his head kind of looks like an eggplant. Then again, Samus looks like an action figure in Melee, so it was likely just because of the Gamecube's limited graphical capabilities, which makes sense taking into consideration that the Brawl model was just an updated version of the Melee one more or less.
The Brawl design was pretty much just a larger and updated version. The design is what I'm hoping for. (aside from the size, obviously)

And would you rather have a duckface than an eggplant head?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well of course Ridley would look better, with a lot more detail.

I just find the slightly skinnier Melee version to be better than the Brawl version, although I would like Ridley to be a tad longer.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The Brawl design was pretty much just a larger and updated version. The design is what I'm hoping for. (aside from the size, obviously)

And would you rather have a duckface than an eggplant head?
The eggplant head was more a reference to the plastic-looking texture and shader he has on his model. I'd rather have the Other M model than a direct rip from Melee. My criticism wasn't towards the design, but to the model.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
The eggplant head was more a reference to the plastic-looking texture and shader he has on his model. I'd rather have the Other M model than a direct rip from Melee. My criticism wasn't towards the design, but to the model.
Indeed his model was rather shiny, and though I don't know about John, I'm not hoping for a Melee or brawl rip, just a similar design with updated graphics and such.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Obviously we're not going to get direct rip models.

But besides that, there isn't a huge difference in model quality from Melee to Other M because well... one game is on the GameCube, one game is on the GameCube 1.5 now featuring crappy online and motion controls!!!

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Ridley would obviously have some nice textures and not be smooth like an eggplant.

Eggplant Wizard, on the other hand...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
F_ck me....i was so smashed today i forgot where i lived....RealTalk...after walking around my block for half a hour....i found my door...took me another 10minz to take my key putta my pocket and i couldnt do it...i couldnt open the door....

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I just want Ridley to look like he does in Brawl, except smaller.

Also, kind of an odd question, but what do you think Ridley would attack the most with? His claws or his tail?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I just want Ridley to look like he does in Brawl, except smaller.

Also, kind of an odd question, but what do you think Ridley would attack the most with? His claws or his tail?
Claws he should bite...only ever saw him try it in Prime3 Omega Rodley...dunno looked abit weired....it be kinda cool of his down smash is abit like his charge from prime1 when he loses his wings..

A dash and a sneaky tail whip as he turns back around covers all angels like most chars Down smadhes...

Maybe even a headbutt...or like front wing attack thing...where have a iseen that before? Chatixard from brawl a i swear?

Sorry about extra atrocious spellinh i aint feeling sp gookd...p

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Tail, teeth and wings, to differentiate him more from Bowser/Charizard/Yoshi respectively.

I'm barely departing from school, but I'll post more on the Melee vs Brawl Ridley thing once I get home.

and lava instead of water
Might as well make it the Vorash, then.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Claws he should bite...only ever saw him try it in Prime3 Omega Rodley...dunno looked abit weired....it be kinda cool of his down smash is abit like his charge from prime1 when he loses his wings..

A dash and a sneaky tail whip as he turns back around covers all angels like most chars Down smadhes...

Maybe even a headbutt...or like front wing attack thing...where have a iseen that before? Chatixard from brawl a i swear?

Sorry about extra atrocious spellinh i aint feeling sp gookd...p
Understandable on the last note.

I agree he should try and bite more, but I doubt he'll use his head and wings for more attacks than his claws or tail. Charizard used his wings for 2 or 3 attacks, which turned out well in my opinion.

His F-air should be the tail whip attack from Super Metroid, and I recall him also being able to stab the ground with it, like a pogo sort of. I'm not sure which move that should be used for, D-air or D-special. (I can't really think of what he could do for a D-special otherwise) I can imagine a spinning slash type move using his claws for an aerial, and I like the idea of Ridley swatting people with his wings.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Understandable on the last note.

I agree he should try and bite more, but I doubt he'll use his head and wings for more attacks than his claws or tail. Charizard used his wings for 2 or 3 attacks, which turned out well in my opinion.

His F-air should be the tail whip attack from Super Metroid, and I recall him being able to stab the ground with it, like a pogo sort of. I'm not sure which move that should be used for, D-air or D-special. (I can't really think of what he could do for a D-special otherwise) I can imagine a spinning slash type move using his claws for an aerial, and I like the idea of Ridley swatting people with his wings.
I havent ever played Super Metroid.....(yet...)

Yhyhyhyhyh...i know i need to be lynched/hanged RealTalk....its the first thing ima do when i get a WiiU.

Also i kinda miss Brawl how you guys are going on...mt dayz cant believe i just said that RealTalk...beyond horrible thing to say....

Hmmm yh...its pretty weired...i dunno...errmmmm...

Mostly claw strikes but not short round ones like bowser i was thinking/picturing like uhhhh...i dunno how to explain.....maybe later..but yh...

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I am the only who think that Bowser's Koopa claw from melee would be a nice move for Ridley ?
I think its a perfect Ridley move actually. Maybe not animated exactly but to make it appear as if he flies of with the opponent and slams them into the ground is such a Ridley thing to do.

Ridley arguments on Miiverse are all over the place. You see lots of things like "I'm sick of Ridley requests! He is too big!" Lots of supporters but way more haters.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think its a perfect Ridley move actually. Maybe not animated exactly but to make it appear as if he flies of with the opponent and slams them into the ground is such a Ridley thing to do.

I think Xhampi meant the Melee version where Bowser repeatedly bites his opponent.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Ridley arguments on Miiverse are all over the place. You see lots of things like "I'm sick of Ridley requests! He is too big!" Lots of supporters but way more haters.
Thats f_cked...a joke.......lol...i could rip em on i feel like it but its pointless.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
A heavily modified version of that move would definitely work in conjunction to Ridley's moveset, without a doubt.
And yet they accept Olimar, a character smaller than a penny, being taller than Kirby, a 10 inch tall puffball from a distant galaxy.

To quote Habanero's signature, "People are probably the dumbest creatures alive."

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Oh gosh I'm having flashbacks to when we got Ridley's theme alongside the Norfair reveal and assumed this confirmed he was playable.
That would have been beatiful Embarrass

While i liked Norfair Stage, Sakurai will troll us revealing Ridley with another lava/acid level (Sector 3 of Other M) i would like a Elysia Stage along with Ridley, but i dont know, Ridley appears to love lava.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
A heavily modified version of that move would definitely work in conjunction to Ridley's moveset, without a doubt.

And yet they accept Olimar, a character smaller than a penny, being taller than Kirby, a 10 inch tall puffball from a distant galaxy.

To quote Habanero's signature, "People are probably the dumbest creatures alive."
Lots of people use Kirby and Olimar as counter arguments but haters usually result to "but they don't count/they don't look weird." And of course they don't look weird after so much time playing as them. But I remember seeing Olimar playable for the first time, him being that big was the strangest thing to me.

Then you hear people say he wasn't big in the original NES Metroid. To which people constantly reply, "but the technical limitations at the time didn't allow for him to be big." As if that's a true fact, that originated here on these very boards and the fact is there are plenty of NES games with large bosses that are way more mobile than the first Ridley. It certainly didn't stop the Queen Metroid from being a giant on the first Game Boy.

Zero mission was a full on remake and of course by that time the scale of things had grown considerably since they wanted it to be closer to Super Metroid. But it doesn't change the fact there was a small Ridley, it actually existed and he his grown bigger and smaller since.

Then people mention Melee Ridley. Haters then say but he changed in Brawl as if that is the only way he can be depicted, saying "brawl fans would be confused!" I mean really?

Too big, man... I suppose Queen Bee wasn't in Mario Kart 7. Oh right...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I like Melee Ridley based off his trophy pose alone. That's exactly the type of feral stance I imagine he'd make with that given size. I admit my nostalgia goggles may be clouding my judgment, but I truly believe it's better proportioned (head to body size especially).

I never cared much for Brawl Ridley probably on account of my saltiness that he wasn't playable. Looking closely, the model isn't that bad in the cutscenes, but falls short of my standards in game. Weirdly the opposite is true of his Meta Ridley rendition in the same game (I honestly think it's the head that makes the difference). In fact, I'd venture as far as to say they based the model more off his Metroid Prime version (I.E., Meta Ridley) and tried to "Un-Meta" it resulting in him looking more pencil-necked than usual. At least Meta Ridley's neck looks somewhat reinforced/supportive of his head. Lastly, the small details bug me about it, like the chest being bulky/ribcagey and it makes it look like he's wearing a "armor/scale shirt" (not to mention his tail is pointed like an arrow head, not like a spear which oddly changes for Meta Ridley). All and all I like the detailed head/wings and whatnot, but think it just meshes together awkwardly. I simply can't imagine that version but scaled down being the playable Ridley I've ever dreamed of.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Lots of people use Kirby and Olimar as counter arguments but haters usually result to "but they don't count/they don't look weird." And of course they don't look weird after so much time playing as them. But I remember seeing Olimar playable for the first time, him being that big was the strangest thing to me.

Then you hear people say he wasn't big in the original NES Metroid. To which people constantly reply, "but the technical limitations at the time didn't allow for him to be big." As if that's a true fact, that originated here on these very boards and the fact is there are plenty of NES games with large bosses that are way more mobile than the first Ridley. It certainly didn't stop the Queen Metroid from being a giant on the first Game Boy.

Zero mission was a full on remake and of course by that time the scale of things had grown considerably since they wanted it to be closer to Super Metroid. But it doesn't change the fact there was a small Ridley, it actually existed and he his grown bigger and smaller since.

Then people mention Melee Ridley. Haters then say but he changed in Brawl as if that is the only way he can be depicted, saying "brawl fans would be confused!" I mean really?

Mario Kart 7 was a Mario spin-off game so they can change the size of the characters at will.

In SSB4 you can't change Ridley's size because it will no be accurate to his cannon canon size in the metroid series.

What ? SSB4 is also a spin-off game ? Of course not silly, like everyone except you know, SSB4 is a Main serie Metroid game so only the Non-Metroid characters size don't matter and can be change :troll:

I would take great offense if a character such as Ridley lose a few inches so he can playable for the joy of everyone except for me and the few other ones who don't like him.

I mean seriously being BIG AS SH*T is everything about Ridley, the only things that he would have left if wasn't is being a very violent fire breathing space dragon who is smart enough to be the leader of an entire army as well as being the main villain of the metroid series with a potentialy very unique moveset .
See ? That's nothing compared to being big, you should be ashamed about what you just said D=<

Look even Ridley can't believe that people want him playable :

Groose

Smash Champion
I made a "Challenger Approaching" picture for you. Feel free to add it to the OP. :smirk:

Ridley.png
Whaaa? Wrong Ridley? Then who the heck do you idiots support? I thought you wanted a Madden rep!​

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I believe if Sakurai does it he will do it in such a perfect and natural way everyone would be scratching there heafs tryna figure out how they even thought it wasnt possible....RealTalk.....
He will perfect it just like all the chars shown so far they may have slight changes in there clothes but as far as detail/accuracy they look as good as there cannon games every single one trust me if it happens Sakurai will wreck it and it will truly be glorious.

PS: (Feeling alot better now......

Groose

Smash Champion
I believe if Sakurai does it he will do it in such a perfect and natural way everyone would be scratching there heafs tryna figure out how they even thought it wasnt possible....RealTalk.....
He will perfect it just like all the chars shown so far they may have slight changes in there clothes but as far as detail/accuracy they look as good as there cannon games every single one trust me if it happens Sakurai will wreck it and it will truly be glorious.

PS: (Feeling alot better now......

The only character who hasn't satisfied me is Brawl Ganondorf. EVERY other character fits at least decently in my opinion.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yh i hear that but thats moveset balance were talking about Animation and Appearence everyone is always on point.

If Sakurai wants Ridley in hes not gonna make it like a brawl hack....and im pretty darn sure if its otherm Ridley he will scrap the daphy duck.

Try ignore that the Ridley looks deformed but looks how sick is this...the stage and da...battle to the death.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ocE3Yukx7uI

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

now that's just an impolite metonymy
How dare you speak to a LORD THAT WAY!!!! :demon:

I DO DECLARE THAT I SERVE THE CUNNING GOD OF DEATH... I DO DECLARE!!!!

D

Deleted member

More ruining of Ridley coming your way!

The day Princess Peach is able to knock Ridley into submission is what Ridley "fans" fear.
(Even though she can already do that while he's just an moving punching bag in Brawl.....yeah, their logic leaves something to be desired....)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
To be fair she beat a crapload of big enemies (or at least Giant Kamek springs to mind) single-handedly in Super Princess Peach, levitated Bowser in M&L 3/BiS and flung him out of the castle through sheer will/wish power, and apparently has quite the arm in the sports games.

*coughsoftballlesbiancough*

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I'm back from my spacecation, eating purple Pop-Tarts, and I see Entei's trainer Coop showed up.

I've always thought any bipedal walking/running pose for Ridley should be kind of raptorish. And an extendo-neck chomp is a must.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I just looked through all the Ridley battles on YouTube. I didn't realize how much his size has changed with each game. Zero Mission he is outrageously huge. Super Metroid he is like the perfect size for Smash. I realized Ridley is his biggest in Zero Mission, Fusion, and Brawl(cut scene, not the fight) The 3D games don't depict him with such size.

Top Bottom