• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, glad to see the Ridley supporters for the most part are mature enough to handle it.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wouldn't really like it if we got Other M's design for Ridley, but the biggest issue is his face, the rest isn't much of a problem for me. I can live with the design though, a playable Ridley is a playable Ridley.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I feel Other M Ridley is easily the best model to make a fighter out. Hopefully he'll have a face like in Super Metroid though. Or a hybrid design, like Link?

D

Deleted member

That's what I'm hoping for.

If the only change to Other M Ridley was the lips, that'd be great as far as I care.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I would feel disappointed to see Other Ridley, but that wouldn't compare to my feelings of utter joy in finally seeing Ridley playable. So I mean, I'd get over it pretty darn quickly.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yamirah now put his thoughts about Ridley (which haven't changed) in his status.

(sigh) at this point I can't tell if someone who says Ridley is too big really thinks that or is just trolling.

Not counting Ridley supporters who are clearly making jokes about the invalid argument.

Oh, and speaking of Ridley's design, what would you all think if Ridley got in with his Brawl design, and his Meta and Omega forms from the Prime series were alternate palettes/costumes for him?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's at least another example of people who cling to their toobigotry as a defensive mechanism, fearing being wrong, simply because a lot of people jumped on their case about it.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Except that Mewtwo could easily have both forms in the game.

It's not like we can have both Other M Ridley and Super Metroid Ridley to appease everyone.

That being said, I have really no issue about Other M Ridley outside the duckface.
Me too really the duckface is what kills it also no chance of any Ridley and Meta Ridley.....

Yamirah now put his thoughts about Ridley (which haven't changed) in his status.

(sigh) at this point I can't tell if someone who says Ridley is too big really thinks that or is just trolling.

Not counting Ridley supporters who are clearly making jokes about the invalid argument.

Oh, and speaking of Ridley's design, what would you all think if Ridley got in with his Brawl design, and his Meta and Omega forms from the Prime series were alternate palettes/costumes for him?
I would ***.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's at least another example of people who cling to their toobigotry as a defensive mechanism, fearing being wrong, simply because a lot of people jumped on their case about it.
That too, I used to be like that here, but I'm glad I'm not anymore.

I'll give him a while, spending time in one place doing one thing will certainly change you over time.

D

Deleted member

So, Meta Ridley (Prime 1), Meta Ridley (Prime 3), AND Omega Ridley to go with vanilla Ridley? A little overkill.

Megazero64

Smash Apprentice
Why not they just make a simple redesign for him. i mean, if they did it for link why not Ridley.
Just take the body design of Other M Ridley and the head of Super Metroid Ridley, work a little ganondorf magic:ganondorf: and BOOOOM!!! You have SMASH RIDLEY!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Yeah, Ridley tends to have a fairly recognizable head in all of his designs, so Other Ridley's weird looking head greatly attributes to the whole "just not looking like Ridley" thing.

Also since 172 is my favorite number, I will bless this page with all of my maidly might.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Yeah, Ridley tends to have a fairly recognizable head in all of his designs, so Other Ridley's weird looking head greatly attributes to the whole "just not looking like Ridley" thing.

Also since 172 is my favorite number, I will bless this page with all of my maidly might.
that's a random number to have as your favorite.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Just saying, your location doesn't really make sense now that you have an updated avatar. :p

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I actually like Other Ridley in the concept art. He looks more like the Zebesians. Just doesn't translate as well in game.
I'm not even afraid considering Sakurai has worked his magic before.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I actually like Other Ridley in the concept art. He looks more like the Zebesians. Just doesn't translate as well in game.
I'm not even afraid considering Sakurai has worked his magic before.

I'm having trouble finding Other Ridley's concept art, would you perhaps have a link?

since when was sakuri a magician? :troll:

Hey now. Words hurt, Rob. Words hurt.

SakuraiSadMagician.jpg

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I assumed the magic came from Smash always seeming to pull designs out of their ass to suit the needs (Ganondorf's Expo design/sword in Melee, Twilight Princess Sheik in Brawl, not-Skyward-Sword Link in Smash 4, etc.)

I'm having trouble finding Other Ridley's concept art, would you perhaps have a link?

With the mouth closed/not derpy-lipped, it's not half bad. I feel like they tried to differentiate it from Adolescent Ridley's mouth.

Huh. Never really thought about it, but that size comparison in the middle isn't too shabby, considering it's not accounting for wings.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
*shrugs*

Neutral B: Plasma Scatter - Ridley shoots a fireball from his mouth that moves over a randomly selected trajectory with low damage. Holding down the button makes him charge the attack. A half-charged Plasma Scatter causes him to spit out five fireballs, all shooting out in different trajectories. A fully charged Plasma Scatter causes him to launch a large ball of plasma in front of him (diagonally downward in the air). Any fireball that hits the ground or a platform will cause a small fire to burn for about 2 seconds.
Side B: Killer Claw - Ridley reels back and lunges forward. He'll be left in a helpless state if he misses while in the air. If he makes contact with a foe within a certain distance, he will grab them. From here, he can do a few different things including bite the enemy and throw them in four directions. However, each throw behaves differently.
--Forward throw - Ridley claws the foe with his free hand.
--Back throw - Throws the foe away behind himself.
--Up throw - Ridley blasts the foe with plasma, sending off at an upward angle
--Down throw- On the ground, Ridley drags the foe across the ground before tossing the forward. In the air, Ridley flies up and then comes crashing down, slamming the foe into the ground. It's very possible to SD while dragging the foe down with him.
If he grabs an enemy in the air, Ridley can still jump while holding them.
Up B: Flight - Obvious enough, Ridley crouches and then pushes himself up into the air. Not meant to be a real damaging move, the only hitbox is when Ridley leaps up, knocking enemies up with him. When used in the air, this move acts differently, he flaps his wings and ascends into the air. As he goes up, he creates a gust of wind beneath him, which is capable of pushing opponents downwards in the air. Holding down B lets him fly around, similar to ROB's UpB, but with less time to fly. This special move does not put him into a helpless state.
Down B: Great Howl - Ridley will inhale sharply then let out a terrifying roar, briefly surrounding himself with a shock-wave. If it hits an enemy while they're on the ground, it will paralyze them. The time stunned is relevant to the amount of damage they have. If it hits an airborne enemy, it will force them into a tumbling state. Foes can still jump, attack or recover after this attack though.

Final Smash:

Jab:
Dash: Ridley extends his neck and bites out in front of himself.
F-tilt: Ridley does a one-handed claw swipe in front of himself.
F-tilt 2: Ridley swings his other arm in an upward motion, juggling enemies up into the air in front of him.
F-tilt 3: Ridley snaps his jaws diagonally upwards, biting at the enemy to finish to combo.
U-tilt: Jabs straight up with one hand, claws stretched.
D-tilt: Ridley extends his neck and snips at the foes ankles.
F-smash: Ridley charges then breathes a stream of flames in front of him. It hits multiple times.
U-smash: Ridley turns sideways and swings both hands above his head in a downward arc.
D-smash: Ridley spins in place, swinging his tail around him. This attack hits multiple times, dragging the foe along with the motion of the tail before tossing them back and away from Ridley.

N-Air:
F-air: Ridley does a double-handed swipe in a downward motion. Meteor smash.
B-air: Ridley kicks back with his leg, turning himself to face behind him. Changes Ridley's facing.
U-air: Ridley does a back flip, swiping his talons upwards followed by his tail.
D-air: Ridley stabs downward with his tail, diving down briefly.

Grab/Pummel: Ridley grabs the enemy/Ridley bites the enemy
F-throw:
B-throw:
U-throw:
D-throw:

Incomplete cuz I'm lazy.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
have you guys looked at the wii u art thingy? it has some sweet metroid pics. haven't found any of ridley, yet.

EDIT: I don't even care if it's good or not, I found one of ridley through more than 20 minutes of searching, late at night. you guys better appreciate it.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I found a near-perfect Ridley design from a near-perfect game...

The duck face (the whole head really) is easily the worst thing about the Other M Ridley design.
Duck faces should only be on Disney owned channels with their fake princesses who become grade-A sl***s and fake princes who are total tools.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Ridley is too big! Legit. His appearance in smash bros kinda proves that point. Sakurai made him big, he thinks Ridley should be big :troll:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

I have posted on Oasis's favorite page. yesss.

As for the other M design, I agree the duckface is a bit off, but other than that I think i have the standard opinion around here.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
A few things to defend Ridley.

The arguments that were brought up recently about Ridley being too big for Battlefield (phasing through the platforms) and would be too goofy with a bunny hood, spicy curry, etc...can easily be defended with Ganondorf, the KING OF EVIL.

Ganondorf is tall enough for the top of his head to be phased through the platforms on Battlefield in Brawl. As far as "defamation of character", Ganondorf if seen as a heartless brute within his home series who can only be defeated by the Master Sword.

However, Smash Bros. nullifies all of this, based on the fact that he has a ****ty moveset, can be defeated by any other character, and wears the several silly objects with grace. It. Doesn't. Matter.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
A few things to defend Ridley.

The arguments that were brought up recently about Ridley being too big for Battlefield (phasing through the platforms) and would be too goofy with a bunny hood, spicy curry, etc...can easily be defended with Ganondorf, the KING OF EVIL.

Ganondorf is tall enough for the top of his head to be phased through the platforms on Battlefield in Brawl. As far as "defamation of character", Ganondorf if seen as a heartless brute within his home series who can only be defeated by the Master Sword.

However, Smash Bros. nullifies all of this, based on the fact that he has a ****ty moveset, can be defeated by any other character, and wears the several silly objects with grace. It. Doesn't. Matter.
I thought all that was cancelled out between him bringing out his sword in his taunt and being able to wield the cracker launcher, the one true weapon of evil.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't see much of difference in the Brawl design compared to this.

I'd be happy with either. The version of Ridley in Smash is a great design.
I just think the Melee Ridley design is more... "compact." It's simpler, it looks more vicious, and heck, it might be more interesting.
I thought all that was cancelled out between him bringing out his sword in his taunt and being able to wield the cracker launcher, the one true weapon of evil.
I thought it was all cancelled out when we had a mini-man smaller than a penny fight a giant 300 foot tall demon turtle.

*waits for some moron to "defend the canon sizes" while wearing the "Nintendo only" man thong*

Top Bottom