• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I pretty postive Ridley is too big.Mostly looking at the fact that the 3ds and wiiu version will have the same characters.But if that wasn't a problem I would love Ridley in Smash Bros. He my favorite Metroid Character and Metroid does deserve another rep.
Welcome to the boards, but you should know that *too big*, is never a valid argument around here.

Or anywhere.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
They are two different consoles and the 3ds screen is small compare to televisions.Also Ridley is too big to fit in the stages.
I'm not sure how the smaller screens make a difference. It's the same thing happening. Same ratios and everything.

Depends on which appearance you ask. Even then all characters are resized to work in smash. Ridley can be as well.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
They are two different consoles and the 3ds screen is small compare to televisions.Also Ridley is too big to fit in the stages.
This post makes me sad.

Again, invalid argument.

Screenshot from Melee's intro.

That's not very big to me.

Saying Ridley is too big for anything will never get you anywhere, that's something you really need to comprehend.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
The characters are all shrunk proportionally you know. If Ridley as big as Bowser in the Wii-U version he still will be in the 3DS version. Screen size has nothing to do with it because in both version he would take up the same amount of the screen. That second thing just makes me think you're trolling. How big do you think he is? Like this?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Uh... Sakamoto was as consistent as Retro at releasing Metroid games in the early 2000's, actually. Fusion and Zero Mission which he did came out around the same time as Prime 1 and Prime 2. He also seemed to have wanted to do a GBA remake of Metroid II initially but it never took off past the first phases because of the DS coming out, so I guess he either waited a little late to do that remake or overestimated how much longer the GBA's lifespan would be. Not that that should've stopped him though, since a Metroid II remake would've been sweet even on the DS/3DS.

But other than that yeah, not that I think he intended Metroid to have another hiatus.
****, I forgot all about Zero Mission! That's pretty bad considering it's my favorite game to speed run and more at that. Also, didn't know about the Metroid 2 remake, though I know that Retro also had talked about it once.

Also, the bigger stages thing doesn't help Ridley all that much, considering he'll be about Bowser's size anyways.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Anyway Yamirah, theres be dispute and debating over Ridley's size over the years, and there is absolutely nothing valid saying Ridley's size is an issue whatsoever.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Plus when questioned about Ridley the first issue that came to Sakurai's mind was his speed, not his size. Just sayin. :p

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I see everything in this thread, gosh darn.

Anyway, I keep trying to articulate just how not-special of a case Ridley's situation is. Just... FOR EXAMPLE, pretend you have a character that looks exactly like Ridley, but without the name attached or any knowledge of his abilities or physical PROPERTIES SUCH AS SIZE. Don't even imagine it's Smash. Could be any fighting game, just about. You're left with a character that has obvious playstyle potential, purely by his design alone. Coming up with a way to make him play interestingly would not be a challenge. Implementing his shape wouldn't be a problem, since he's mostly humanoid (I guess it's possible his weird neck could be a problem in SOME games, but I'll get to why that's practically not important).

If you don't have this idea that his size is somehow INTEGRAL TO HIS CHARACTER, then not only is he clearly feasible but also STILL A PRETTY INTERESTING CHOICE ANYHOW? And about how his shape doesn't matter: WE ALREADY HAVE A CHARACTER WITH EXACTLY THE SAME BASIC STRUCTURE IN CHARIZARD.

Now, let's add his name back. It's Ridley. The second most important character in a highly successful series, a series which could use another character in Smash, especially a character as highly requested as him. But, some people think it's a good idea to ignore all of that. All of his popularity, how interesting he could be, how feasible he is. Ignore it all, just because he's a bit big?

Ridiculous.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Ismar I didn't recognize you for a second slow down that wardrobe it's gonna burn out
If you'd believe, I'm just going through my old stuff. These are all fonts/avis I haven't used since '09.

Oh hey look, there he is in a 3DS game, y'know, not taking up the entire stage, much less the screen.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yh...after watching the gameplay vids again it did seem like the camera is abit morr zoomed back than previous smashes...i mean bowser doesnt even look that big...i dunno it maybe the pose but what im tryna get at it is i can defo see a char being bigger than him and it would look fine.

I mean im litreally asking you guys

Is it just me or is the screen more back (chars look smaller) in this smash?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If you'd believe, I'm just going through my old stuff. These are all fonts/avis I haven't used since '09
heh, I think this is maybe the fourth avatar I've used on this site.

and Yamirah, you may be new around here, and I appreciate the fact that you support Ridley, but, eh, I don't think I need to explain what happens when you bring up size in these parts xD.

There's an old adage on this thread, if you think Ridley is too big, gtfo.

Yamirah

Smash Rookie
I leaving,forget it.I got a few more reasons in my pocket but forget it.I just going to pretend was never here.So let's all stop ganging up on me.So nobody reply to this please.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hey guys, Ridley is up for re-voting on Rate Their Chances, show your support for him my fellow brethren! Just try and be realistic too please, and with that I mean don't just go there and give him a bunch of 100% ratings in chance.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Nobody is ganging up on you, Yamirah, they are just telling you what's true.
Pretty much. I mean, Sakurai can make anything work. I'm pretty sure he'd be fine if he was shrunken down. And, like N3ON said, it's Ridley's speed that seems to worry Sakurai.

I expect him to be slow, clunky, and lethargic on the ground, but an absolute ace in the air.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I was watching an old trailer of Melee the other day, showing the intro.

Among the parts where there was a lot of cheering from the crowd was the scene with Ridley. Rather sad, everyone there probably thought Ridley was gonna be playable in Melee, which would've been SOO awesome.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Among the parts where there was a lot of cheering from the crowd was the scene with Ridley. Rather sad, everyone there probably thought Ridley was gonna be playable in Melee, which would've been SOO awesome.
The E3 reveal? Yeah, I remember that. THat was the BIGGEST hype since everyone thought he was playable.

But then later, when they're doing the montage of the characters and their gameplay, Samus got a huge amount of applause and cheers. I think people just really like Samus.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Trust......shattered dreamz....what can i say....s_it happens.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Pretty much. I mean, Sakurai can make anything work. I'm pretty sure he'd be fine if he was shrunken down. And, like N3ON said, it's Ridley's speed that seems to worry Sakurai.

I expect him to be slow, clunky, and lethargic on the ground, but an absolute ace in the air.
And yet Sonic got in just fine. XD

Ah but in all seriousness, that's probably how he would play out, what with his somewhat skinny limbs and the shape of his feet (err..claws) yet he's been an expert at flying in every single game. If he gets to use his fire breath, (why wouldn't he?) I can imagine him having a better air game than Meta Knight in Brawl or Jigglypuff in Melee.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
You were kinda asking for it, Yamirah. Going into the Ridley thread and using toobigotry is like wearing a suit of chum in a shark tank. Feel free to have whatever opinion you want.~

I'd help in the RTC, but my idea of a "likely character" is probably less than what most people deem impossible these days. Even for characters I support/think are likely, nothing gets over a 1/2 chance for me. And that's only for no brainers like Zelda/Peach. In other words, I won't have my pessimism defacing Ridley.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
You were kinda asking for it, Yamirah. Going into the Ridley thread and using toobigotry is like wearing a suit of chum in a shark tank. Feel free to have whatever opinion you want.~

I'd help in the RTC, but my idea of a "likely character" is probably less than what most people deem impossible these days. Even for characters I support/think are likely, nothing gets over a 1/2 chance for me. And that's only for no brainers like Zelda/Peach. In other words, I won't have my pessimism defacing Ridley.
Atleast we didnt throw him out :) were still nice you see.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I leaving,forget it.I got a few more reasons in my pocket but forget it.I just going to pretend was never here.So let's all stop ganging up on me.So nobody reply to this please.
hey, we love you, you're a ridley supporter. just think through your posts a little : )

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I just realized something about canon sizes in Smash.(not that it mattered in the first place)

Sakurai just made an even more absurd resizing with the puppy in the 3DS Nintendog stage.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I just realized something about canon sizes in Smash.(not that it mattered in the first place)

Sakurai just made an even more absurd resizing with the puppy in the 3DS Nintendog stage.
Meh, Ridley haters will just say the same bull***t argument than for Olimar :
"The Nintendogs never appeared with a playable character in their own game so maybe they are giant in reality."

Oh no wait, even better :
"Of course the Nintendogs are giants since they were already giants in Brawl, this is yet another proof than Sakurai never resize characters from a game to another, sorry Ridley".

So how was my impression of them ? -_-

Anyway I personaly think that the Nintendogs are that big to make the characters look like the toys in the Nintendogs franchise which would explain why the stage look like that.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Fire emblem is just as big .-. There are fire emblem games on all nintendo systems ( not 64)and multiple games on certain systems.
Fire Emblem has 13 full games, and Metroid has 11. Not a big difference. FE is missing from the GB/GBC and N64. Metroid is missing from N64 and 3DS. I would be surprised if either one didn't get a Wii U game.

star fox I can't argue. But fire emblem is a superior sales wise.
Wrong. Star Fox has significantly more overall sales than Fire Emblem, and Metroid has more overall sales than Star Fox.

The numbers are:
17.6 million - Metroid
11.5 million - Star Fox
~8.0 million - Fire Emblem

If you wanna say that they've had more sales from 2007 forward (when Brawl's roster would've been decided), then the figures are:
3.6 million - Metroid
2.3 million - Fire Emblem
0.73 million - Star Fox

In which case, Metroid is still a bigger seller than Fire Emblem.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hey guys, Ridley is up for re-voting on Rate Their Chances, show your support for him my fellow brethren! Just try and be realistic too please, and with that I mean don't just go there and give him a bunch of 100% ratings in chance.
That would be hard since he's 100% going to happen. *Sunglasses*

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I assumed the assist trophy in Brawl wasn't big, it was just a matter of perspective.
He really isn't since the dog is on the battle field before he gets in front the camera,and is normally sized.

But the Ridley haters be like "They're 2 different species so they don't have the same size" :troll:

Top Bottom