• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

nessokman

Smash Lord
Metroid is one of Nintendo's biggies, bigger than Star Fox and Fire Emblem, both which have multiple characters. It's a crime that it has only Samus as a rep, especially since there's a viable character that's been right in front of Sakurai's face for 3 games in a row. Okay, I understand why Ridley wasn't included in Brawl, he was admittedly under the boot of more important Nintendo characters like Dedede, Diddy Kong and Pokémon Trainer, but if he isn't in this time around then all hell is gonna break loose.
Fire emblem is just as big .-. There are fire emblem games on all nintendo systems ( not 64)and multiple games on certain systems.star fox I can't argue. But fire emblem is a superior sales wise. That's why it hasn't died out.Its japanese popularity gives us more than 1 character.

New(ER) games from nintendo need representation. I'd sooner see harmoknight. Characters- small series need this boost.

Metroid isn't popular enough for 2 reps-but at the same time doesn't need the boost .

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Fire emblem is just as big .-. There are fire emblem games on all nintendo systems ( not 64)and multiple games on certain systems.star fox I can't argue. But fire emblem is a superior sales wise. That's why it hasn't died out.Its japanese popularity gives us more than 1 character.

New(ER) games from nintendo need representation. I'd sooner see harmoknight. Characters- small series need this boost.

Metroid isn't popular enough for 2 reps-but at the same time doesn't need the boost .
You sure about that?

Pretty sure the entire Metroid series has sold more than the Fire Emblem series.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah, Fire Emblem characters appeared in Smash before any FEs were released outside Japan.

Not to mention Roy got in Melee before his game was even RELEASED.

Metroid and DK have been underrepped since Melee.

Smash is what promoted FE outside Japan in the first place, and popularity still isn't a very good argument when used on series rather than characters. If it was, then we wouldn't have gotten Pit in Brawl.

nessokman

Smash Lord
You sure about that?

Pretty sure the entire Metroid series has sold more than the Fire Emblem series.
I will calculate that for you when I get home from helping my sister move to college.
Yeah, Fire Emblem characters appeared in Smash before any FEs were released outside Japan.

Not to mention Roy got in
Melee before his game was even RELEASED.

Metroid and DK have been underrepped since Melee.

Smash is what promoted FE outside Japan in the first place, and popularity still isn't a very good argument when used on series rather than characters. If it was, then we wouldn't have gotten Pit in Brawl.
FE was popular in Japan long before it was localized. And yeah, some characters are in crossovers before their games were released. Pit and rob are curious additions to the rooster indeed. Maybe sakurai took interest in them. Maybe he wanted them to become more widely known so that someone might revive them.

Fire Emblem is famous because of Smash.
not in Japan... FE had already been going for 10 years before smash was released. It was famous there, and that is what got Roy and marth in. Then west got FE because of it

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
FE was popular in Japan long before it was localized. And yeah, some characters are in crossovers before their games were released. Pit and rob are curious additions to the rooster indeed. Maybe sakurai took interest in them. Maybe he wanted them to become more widely known so that someone might revive them.

not in Japan... FE had already been going for 10 years before smash was released. It was famous there, and that is what got Roy and marth in. Then west got FE because of it
I already know it was popular in Japan, but Nintendo added FE characters to the roster, and the series became well known outside Japan. Pit was added as a revival and a retro rep, R.O.B. become sort of a Nintendo icon that appeared in several Nintendo games, usually as a cameo or sometimes a playable character. Retro reps wouldn't be added if popularity had anything to do with it.

Potential moves and character want has higher priority over a series popularity itself, and FE has a much bigger set of characters to choose from. I'm pretty sure there are more people who want Ridley compared to people who want one particular Fire Emblem character.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Also wanted to say after thinking about it, the reason there were not any FE reps was because as you know, the game originally had bland characters until sakurai made them nintendo characters. He put characters that are the "face" of their series. Fire emblem usually doesn't follow one character for more than 2 games-meaning there isn't a face for the series. Marth being in smash As the guy from the first game made him the face.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Also wanted to say after thinking about it, the reason there were not any FE reps was because as you know, the game originally had bland characters until sakurai made them nintendo characters. He put characters that are the "face" of their series. Fire emblem usually doesn't follow one character for more than 2 games-meaning there isn't a face for the series. Marth being in smash As the guy from the first game made him the face.
Wasn't Marth the main character in the anime?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know talking about Fire Emblem is just irresistible for some reason (:rolleyes:), but until Ridley joins the cast please try to keep things on topic. ;)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yes, the anime that was based on the first game. Only 2 episodes were made
*cough* 3rd game *cough*

So... I'm gonna try my best to make a Ridley moveset, though I'd like someone to help. Any volunteers?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Like Swampasaur said,third game.So we have 2 games,and as an extra,an anime that centers around the character and his adventure.
Not to mention two remakes.

Still looking for people to help with that Ridley moveset...

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Not to mention two remakes.

Still looking for people to help with that Ridley moveset...

Well, in the process of helping people see how Ridley could have a unique moveset of his own (and frustratingly dealing with somebody who's confusing his own personal idea of uniqueness with a more general uniqueness), I ended up devising some move concepts...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/66957856/754305764 -- Has Ridley's A moves
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/66957856/754341438 -- Has Ridley's B moves

The guy I was talking to in the second link was going in the right direction, referencing moves from other characters that brought unique mechanics or unique takes on existing mechanics, but it took a while for him to actually go there, instead just saying "not unique enough, not interesting enough", and never really coming up with anything of his own. But the real issue is that he brushed off the idea of grabbing people with a tail, not even considering the possibilities such an idea opened, and he looked right past the carrying concept, so it was clear his argument was too hinged on a personal ideal instead of one that could interest a multitude.

...But that's probably just me getting that off my chest. Feel free to take whatever ideas from those links.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ehhh, I'm not sure you know how big Metroid actually is. If it wasn't for the fact that it isn't a series based around multiple characters it could warrant even 3 characters.

Also, when I'm talking about the series being big, I'm talking popularity, I'm talking sales. Fire Emblem Awakening was supposed to be the last FE game because the last couple of ones sold horribly. Can't compare it to Metroid in sales.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Ehhh, I'm not sure you know how big Metroid actually is. If it wasn't for the fact that it isn't a series based around multiple characters it could warrant even 3 characters.

Also, when I'm talking about the series being big, I'm talking popularity, I'm talking sales. Fire Emblem Awakening was supposed to be the last FE game because the last couple of ones sold horribly. Can't compare it to Metroid in sales.
Radiant dawn and path of radiance sold miserably- cant say I have an excuse.Awakening was never set in stone to be the last. They said if awakening didn't sell (I think) 450,000 the series would end. Needless to say it destroyed 450,000. I have no doubt it has broken a million now. And think about the first 6 FE games, they sold well as Japan exclusives. If they had released it for the rest of the world, it would be phenomenal. At least fire emblem as a series is stable enough to get games on near every system with no 8 year gap between games.As well as nintendo hasn't handed it off to some random developer because they are out of ideas for it. Then again if team ninja got FE it would be.... Ummm....no comment

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Radiant dawn and path of radiance sold miserably- cant say I have an excuse.Awakening was never set in stone to be the last. They said if awakening didn't sell (I think) 450,000 the series would end. Needless to say it destroyed 450,000. I have no doubt it has broken a million now. And think about the first 6 FE games, they sold well as Japan exclusives. If they had released it for the rest of the world, it would be phenomenal. At least fire emblem as a series is stable enough to get games on near every system with no 8 year gap between games.As well as nintendo hasn't handed it off to some random developer because they are out of ideas for it. Then again if team ninja got FE it would be.... Ummm....no comment
Metroid had a 8 year hiatus because of the death of Gunpei Yokoi, the guy who was in charge of the first 3 games. Needless to say it made an incredibly strong comeback with both Fusion and Prime 1, and it was wise of them to hand the franchise to Retro since Sakamoto seemingly doesn't want to release games constantly. Thanks to him it looks like it's thrown into another hiatus though.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Metroid is one of Nintendo's biggies, bigger than Star Fox and Fire Emblem, both which have multiple characters. It's a crime that it has only Samus as a rep, especially since there's a viable character that's been right in front of Sakurai's face for 3 games in a row. Okay, I understand why Ridley wasn't included in Brawl, he was admittedly under the boot of more important Nintendo characters like Dedede, Diddy Kong and Pokémon Trainer, but if he isn't in this time around then all hell is gonna break loose.
....RealTalk....you answer the Questions me or other PeePz cant be asked to.....Like Really.....my dayz....man....serious....f_ck me.........(-_-)

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Ridley would take cues from his Other M design but ultimately be an updated version of the one we saw in Brawl.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I cant wait for all this to end.....starting not to care how either.....
Supporting Ridley is very different from supporting any other characters, because you gotta take and listen to a lot of **** when defending him. I still care about how this ends, I wouldn't have posted all these posts defending Ridley if it wasn't for how deep my passion for him making it into the game is. And while it doesn't change anything in the big image since the decision has already been made by Sakurai and co, it's still about standing up for what you believe is right.

Yes, I make it sounds much more serious than it actually is, it is after all just forum discussions, but that's how I express myself. Bottomline is that I personally still care a lot if he ends up as a character or not, and I won't budge away from that until I hear what role he's been given in the game.

I think Ridley would take cues from his Other M design but ultimately be an updated version of the one we saw in Brawl.
I'd love for it to turn out like this personally.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Supporting Ridley is very different from supporting any other characters, because you gotta take and listen to a lot of **** when defending him. I still care about how this ends, I wouldn't have posted all these posts defending Ridley if it wasn't for how deep my passion for him making it into the game is. And while it doesn't change anything in the big image since the decision has already been made by Sakurai and co, it's still about standing up for what you believe is right.

Yes, I make it sounds much more serious than it actually is, it is after all just forum discussions, but that's how I express myself. Bottomline is that I personally still care a lot if he ends up as a character or not, and I won't budge away from that until I hear what role he's been given in the game.

I'd love for it to turn out like this personally.
Amen to that RealTalk.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Even if we end up losing the good fight for a 3rd time, there's the slightest semblance of pride to be had in working the hardest out of any other character support group for these games. The years of dispelling more ignorance than almost all other aspects of the game combined just makes me appreciate the fact that we've kept at it even after the aftermath and disappointment of previous Smash games (not to mention those select few that go about rubbing it in that Ridley's not playable, consequently creating even more ignorance).

As Wariofan already stated, it's just a game (and forum discussion revolving around said game) and in the end our efforts may not mean jack squat to Sakurai. But the principle remains, and it's been both memorable and enjoyable serving alongside the lot of you for the cause, no matter how long or brief, passionate or nonchalant your support has been.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
@IsmaR - RealTalk.

Yh but seems like PeePz are throwing everything including the kitchen sink like...to the point where you litreally gotta question the deal...is it the same or just.....********....

It Seems like Ridley is what you call in my language ''Harram''
= Forbidden....

Lmfaoo....like Wa Da FuQ did you just say?

Like Really.......

If Ridley dont get in i hope something equally if not more ******** happens like Andross being playable...imo how i see it its gone wayyy beyond just support and knowledge...even deeper than pride and ego way beyond ******** to the extent that i dont think anything is worth the value of the s_it thats already happend....

Like we need to payed in Blood....its just satisfaction...as childish and stupid/******** as it sounds but you know nothing feels better than beating the f_ckers at there own game right?

Sakurai please just make Andross or Kraid playable or someone more ********.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Supporting Ridley is very different from supporting any other characters, because you gotta take and listen to a lot of **** when defending him.
Supporting Ridley is very different from supporting any other characters, because you AIN'T GOTTA DO A THING because he's so obviously IN that you can just sit back and relax and laugh at those who think otherwise.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Supporting Ridley is very different from supporting any other characters, because you AIN'T GOTTA DO A THING because he's so obviously IN that you can just sit back and relax and laugh at those who think otherwise.
I love your very huge confidence Oasis_S. Wish I could be for some of the characters I support.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Your guys devoted bunch, I can definitely give you guys credit for that. Heh.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Metroid had a 8 year hiatus because of the death of Gunpei Yokoi, the guy who was in charge of the first 3 games. Needless to say it made an incredibly strong comeback with both Fusion and Prime 1, and it was wise of them to hand the franchise to Retro since Sakamoto seemingly doesn't want to release games constantly. Thanks to him it looks like it's thrown into another hiatus though.
Uh... Sakamoto was as consistent as Retro at releasing Metroid games in the early 2000's, actually. Fusion and Zero Mission which he did came out around the same time as Prime 1 and Prime 2. He also seemed to have wanted to do a GBA remake of Metroid II initially but it never took off past the first phases because of the DS coming out, so I guess he either waited a little late to do that remake or overestimated how much longer the GBA's lifespan would be. Not that that should've stopped him though, since a Metroid II remake would've been sweet even on the DS/3DS.

But other than that yeah, not that I think he intended Metroid to have another hiatus.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Yamirah

Smash Rookie
I pretty postive Ridley is too big.Mostly looking at the fact that the 3ds and wiiu version will have the same characters.But if that wasn't a problem I would love Ridley in Smash Bros. He my favorite Metroid Character and Metroid does deserve another rep.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I pretty postive Ridley is too big.Mostly looking at the fact that the 3ds and wiiu version will have the same characters.But if that wasn't a problem I would love Ridley in Smash Bros. He my favorite Metroid Character and Metroid does deserve another rep.
Did you read the thread?

He can easily be made as a size that would work.

D

Deleted member

There is no logic in Ridley "not working" in the 3DS version if he'll work in the Wii U version.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There is no logic in Ridley "not working" in the 3DS version if he'll work in the Wii U version.
Pretty much this. He wouldn't be too hard to program especially compared to Olimar, Ice Climbers, and Pokemon Trainer.

Top Bottom