• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I feel obligated to point out that the "too big" argument has nothing to do with his size, but his size in relation to other characters. Ridley isknown as a giant dragon. We've seen him as a giant dragon. Olimar, despite being small, hasn't been seen in relation to the other characters. It's seen as more "believable" for Olimar.

I'm not trying to start anything or say this is actually correct, since what's "believable" is all down to your own opinion anyway, just pointing out that the argument isn't quite as simple as "Ridley is too big hurr durr." I don't think anyone's ever actually used that argument seriously.
I hear you but just think of it as Sakurai has a Shrink Ray Gun and he will use it on ANYONE he likes.

Think of Smash in general as Luigi's Negative Zone.

What happens when Chars go into the Negative Zone?

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
I fully support the awesome Ridley for Smash.

Anyways, on account of FS does anyone have any othe ideas besides Space Pirate Raid, Meta Ridley or Omega Ridley? Just wondering.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman

Anyways, on account of FS does anyone have any othe ideas besides Space Pirate Raid, Meta Ridley or Omega Ridley? Just wondering.
I was thinking that he could fly up to the top of the stage and charge up a huge fire ball then shoot it down.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking that he could fly up to the top of the stage and charge up a huge fire ball then shoot it down.
That is a pretty good one. Your post just made me think of another one though. What if Ridley's FS allowed you to extend in flight for a certain amount of time then by simply flying into opponents let you automatically grab them ( You could grab two at a time.) As the characters are in your grasp you could continuously press A to scorch them with fire racking up damage. After about 20 seconds Ridley will fly up out of the screen taking the characters with him and then crash back down into the stage letting go of them as he does so. I could see the crash resulting in high knockback and anyone caught in the crash who wasn't in Ridley's grasp could take damage as well.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
A few ideas here:

• Enters a Berserk State. Significant speed increase on all of his attacks. Can jump higher but also falls faster. Infinite Armor. Basically Ridley gets to go nuts on everyone for a little bit.
  • A combination of Brawl Ridley and Lati@s, Ridley takes to the air and exits the screen, then repeatedly flies left and right across the stage at extremely high speeds. Players can tilt the control stick up or down while Ridley's off screen to adjust his trajectory so he can aim for other players. Finishes by performing his wild fly-in attack from the background to the foreground, selecting one player at random and hitting them with a near-fatal blow. His erratic flight would make put everyone on edge so they can't tell who he's going to strike.

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat

He could possibly have a cinematic final smash like Captain Falcon in which he grabs the opponent and drags them around a circular room like he does with Samus and when he's done he shoots a giant fireball from his mouth and it's an instaKO.

MattX20

Smash Hero
If Ridley does become playable, I hope the design they use is the classic one and not the Other M design. I must confess I'm not too fond of that particular look for him.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
That is a pretty good one. Your post just made me think of another one though. What if Ridley's FS allowed you to extend in flight for a certain amount of time then by simply flying into opponents let you automatically grab them ( You could grab two at a time.) As the characters are in your grasp you could continuously press A to scorch them with fire racking up damage. After about 20 seconds Ridley will fly up out of the screen taking the characters with him and then crash back down into the stage letting go of them as he does so. I could see the crash resulting in high knockback and anyone caught in the crash who wasn't in Ridley's grasp could take damage as well.
Charizard Sesmic Toss clone ftw.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Is it just me, or are there alot more anti-Ridley's than there were before?
As DukeofShorts said, it's a small collection of loud people. Whenever I see Ridley haters on here it's more often just the same persons. Anything that's popular has naysayers, Mewtwo fans are in a battle against Lucario fans, and Dixie Kong fans are more or less at war with K. Rool fans. Ridley has had over a decade of fans though, so people that don't understand the hype are even more inclined to hate on him because that's how primitive we humans are, and just like his popularity it has been as consistent as ever.

On another note, earlier I got thinking that the whole Metroid adventure was actually set in motion by Ridley. Ridley killed Samus' parents, because of that she was taken under the wings of the Chozo, and it goes on. Had Ridley never killed Samus' parents, Samus would likely never have become a bounty hunter. Oh how I love ironic stories. Even so, that means that without Ridley there'd be no Metroid, why isn't it a crime that the character that set the whole franchise in motion isn't playable in a Nintendo All-Stars game?

nessokman

Smash Lord
As DukeofShorts said, it's a small collection of loud people. Whenever I see Ridley haters on here it's more often just the same persons. Anything that's popular has naysayers, Mewtwo fans are in a battle against Lucario fans, and Dixie Kong fans are more or less at war with K. Rool fans. Ridley has had over a decade of fans though, so people that don't understand the hype are even more inclined to hate on him because that's how primitive we humans are, and just like his popularity it has been as consistent as ever.

On another note, earlier I got thinking that the whole Metroid adventure was actually set in motion by Ridley. Ridley killed Samus' parents, because of that she was taken under the wings of the Chozo, and it goes on. Had Ridley never killed Samus' parents, Samus would likely never have become a bounty hunter. Oh how I love ironic stories. Even so, that means that without Ridley there'd be no Metroid, why isn't it a crime that the character that set the whole franchise in motion isn't playable in a Nintendo All-Stars game?
Her parent's deaths were a portion-but may I remind you all of her people were victims of genocide by space pirates. Had Ridley not killed them, a grunt pirate would have. That would have been a better story-hunting down that one pirate

D

Deleted member

Except that Ridley is also a Space Pirate (in fact, is their ****ing LEADER), and was also a major part of the genocide (Samus' parents weren't his only victims).

Pretty sure having the pirate leader who has been the one who murdered the parents of the protagonist be the one hunted is a better story than a generic grunt who participated in the genocide.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Her parent's deaths were a portion-but may I remind you all of her people were victims of genocide by space pirates. Had Ridley not killed them, a grunt pirate would have. That would have been a better story-hunting down that one pirate
Ridley lead the whole invasion. Even if it had just been a minor Pirate that killed them he'd still be held accountable for it.

And no, hunting down a generic Space Pirate would have been a lame story. It'd be like Mario having to rescue Peach from a Goomba.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137

Ridley loses his wings and becomes a purple Yoshi.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Ridley loses his wings and becomes a purple Yoshi.
That reminds me that I've always wondered what Ridley would look like in a Mario style.

Imagining what characters would look like if they shared the art style of another series is always fun though.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I still don't like having to wait another year for a possible Ridley confirmation. However, I have already waited 14 years, what's one more year? But still, its funny how practically every character I have an interest in seeing has gotten in at this point aside from Ridley.

I am curious when Sakurai will start confirming more newcomers. Personally, I am just glad that he has gotten to confirming some veterans after the unveil, as opposed to going completely dark.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I still don't like having to wait another year for a possible Ridley confirmation. However, I have already waited 14 years, what's one more year? But still, its funny how practically every character I have an interest in seeing has gotten in at this point aside from Ridley.

I am curious when Sakurai will start confirming more newcomers. Personally, I am just glad that he has gotten to confirming some veterans after the unveil, as opposed to going completely dark.
True...true....and urrr.....i got no idea.....serious.....would we evem get another NC this year?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Late December/early January at the earliest I'd say. Nintendo's probably going to do a 2014 preview Nintendo Direct with Mario Kart 8 and SSB4 being the main focus. "Oh, hey... didn't know you guys were anticipating SSB4... well, here's *insert insanely popular character's reveal here that causes so many fanboys to pop boners large enough to polevault them to the moon that looking at the night sky that night will be like watching a meteor shower*... no big deal really..." They pretty much did that with Sonic's reveal for Brawl and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they did it again this time around.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Late December/early January at the earliest I'd say. Nintendo's probably going to do a 2014 preview Nintendo Direct with Mario Kart 8 and SSB4 being the main focus. "Oh, hey... didn't know you guys were anticipating SSB4... well, here's *insert insanely popular character's reveal here that causes so many fanboys to pop boners large enough to polevault them to the moon that looking at the night sky that night will be like watching a meteor shower*... no big deal really..." They pretty much did that with Sonic's reveal for Brawl and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they did it again this time around.
Only a Ridley reveal and a certain Women can make me reach that level RealTalk.

Plus not a bad theory its defo possible/realistic.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Perhaps one Final Smash idea could be that Ridley calls in his ol' buddy Kraid to do things of some sort for an amount of time?

...Aren't I descriptive? :laugh:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
does anyone still have that one pic? you know the one. imma go look for it.

FOUND IT!!!

Amazing job, Angelglory!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
does anyone still have that one pic? you know the one. imma go look for it.

FOUND IT!!!

Amazing job, Angelglory!
Ridley's not going to be happy when he wakes up, seeing how he was rebuilt. :laugh:

nessokman

Smash Lord
So, Ridley would absolutely be based on other M. Samus got a redesign from it as well. (I love that look for her) so ridley would probably be other M.

And I have done more research!According to the metroid manga, the ship that had samus on it landed to refuel, and the planet was attacked by space pirates. Ridley tried to kill samus, but her mother protected her-costing her life. Samus' dad blew up the fuel, killing himself to keep them (pirates) stranded. Ridley only killed one of her parents himself.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So, Ridley would absolutely be based on other M. Samus got a redesign from it as well. (I love that look for her) so ridley would probably be other M.

And I have done more research!According to the metroid manga, the ship that had samus on it landed to refuel, and the planet was attacked by space pirates. Ridley yried to kill samus, but her mother protected her-costing her life. Samus' dad blew up the fuel, killing himself to keep them (pirates) stranded. Ridley only killed one of her parents himself ha
But it was still what left the biggest impact, given that her mother died right in front of her. And again, Ridley was in charge of the whole raid, so he's still accountable for both parents' death. Really, if you want to be anti-Ridley then do it properly, because you kind of ruined your previous argument with this post, and all of your arguments thus far in the whole thread have fallen flat.

And yeah, it'll most definitely be the Other M design that'll be used if he's in. It'll definitely have some edits on it though, just like Samus had, most notably it'll probably have some heavy proportion changes.

nessokman

Smash Lord
But it was still what left the biggest impact, given that her mother died right in front of her. And again, Ridley was in charge of the whole raid, so he's still accountable for both parents' death. Really, if you want to be anti-Ridley then do it properly, because you kind of ruined your previous argument with this post, and all of your arguments thus far in the whole thread have fallen flat.

And yeah, it'll most definitely be the Other M design that'll be used if he's in. It'll definitely have some edits on it though, just like Samus had, most notably it'll probably have some heavy proportion changes.
Common sense dictates he will have his other m design.If samus has it, he will have it. I've never been completely apposed to him, but with the metroid series samus reps it well enough. There are more obscure series that need recognition.Now I need to read the manga .-.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Common sense dictates he will have his other m design.If samus has it, he will have it. I've never been completely apposed to him, but with the metroid series samus reps it well enough. There are more obscure series that need recognition.Now I need to read the manga .-.
Metroid is one of Nintendo's biggies, bigger than Star Fox and Fire Emblem, both which have multiple characters. It's a crime that it has only Samus as a rep, especially since there's a viable character that's been right in front of Sakurai's face for 3 games in a row. Okay, I understand why Ridley wasn't included in Brawl, he was admittedly under the boot of more important Nintendo characters like Dedede, Diddy Kong and Pokémon Trainer, but if he isn't in this time around then all hell is gonna break loose.

Top Bottom