• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

:( All I see is

Where are they usually at?
Did they just use Thanksgiving like 2 months before it's supposed to happen?
Turkey, Corn on the Cob, Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkins (usual decorations in Thanksgivings of old) and peas & razzberries.
Nintendo pls
Less Month of Peach/Kirby.
More Month of Metroid. :(

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Did they just use Thanksgiving like 2 months before it's supposed to happen?
Turkey, Corn on the Cob, Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkins (usual decorations in Thanksgivings of old) and peas & razzberries.
Nintendo pls
Less Month of Peach/Kirby.
More Month of Metroid. :(
They dedicate a month to 2 characters instead of one of their biggest franchises. The science team is strong in this one.

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
I think that's a little harsh. I must say, I'm not really digging this "Chargeable Hover" gimmick. I'd prefer either a Peach-Style Hover, or a Brawl Pit-Style Up-Special. The problem is that Brawl Pit's Up-B was OP as crapbaskets.

A Rob-style Up-B might be cool though, doesn't seem as bad.
Yeah...maybe its a little harsher than i think :T huuummm...

Almost every newcomer if not all newcomers have a special thing about them, so Ridley is bound to have something unique too and I'm sure it's a flying mechanic.

Megaman = Can run and jump with his neutral A.

Rosalina = Can control Luma to help her fight.

Villager = Can pocket projectiles and throw them back/ Tree move.

Little Mac = KO meter.

Palutena = Has more varied and unique custom moves than any other fighter (except Mii Fighters). Example she doesn't just have a variation of an existing move, she can choose from completely different ones.

Mii Fighters = Completely customizable.

Robin = Weapon and tome durability.

Wii Fit Trainer = Sun salutation and deep breathing.

Pac Man = Can summon items

Lucina = As far as we know she has nothing at the moment.

Greninja = Not too sure what he has that's special. Perhaps the substitute move?

Some veterans may have them too:

Lucario is the only veteran I can think of that has something unique as well, his attacks get stronger when he has high percentage.
But that way he would be less...special, and thats the idea with a character like him :T

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
I think that's a little harsh. I must say, I'm not really digging this "Chargeable Hover" gimmick. I'd prefer either a Peach-Style Hover, or a Brawl Pit-Style Up-Special. The problem is that Brawl Pit's Up-B was OP as crapbaskets.

A Rob-style Up-B might be cool though, doesn't seem as bad.
I don't think it is fair to call it a gimmick when Wii U trainer has chargable buffs and Game N Watch is basically a walking Gimmick. Also I don't think we should only be looking to smash reference when thinking about a characters potential move set: I mean, how would Sakurai EVER come up with new characters if all he did was rehash stuff from other characters? And yes, Clone characters exist but that is exactly why I believe we should not look to Smash to make.. more Smash. Ya Dig?

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Haha wow ouch I got bombarded good...
Well I guess I should've known you wouldn't care about my mentions of Ridley's "canon" when you're suggesting the playable one be fusions of drastically different Ridleys from different games and concept art :laugh:
Also, the Kirby series/Olimar arguments are pointless, considering they're portrayed to be the a size in THEIR universe, with nothing else to compare it to. Samus and Ridley are from the same universe
And bowser really has no canonical size

BUT if there's one thing I love about you guys is your ability to come up with nicknames

But what would I know? I'm just a "toobigot"
:joyful:
Ah well. For now:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I imagined that the up special allowed Ridley to enter a sort of "flight mode" in which he is able to use his aerials more effectively and be limited to slow horizontal movement in the air. He'd be able to be knocked out of the air by strong attacks, and he COULD jump out of it though the move wouldn't restore his jumps. So essentially out of sheer irony, Ridley would have multiple / higher jumps, but his up special move wouldn't be an even remotely vertical recovery but instead a slow and very counterable horizontal recovery.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Well I guess I should've known you wouldn't care about my mentions of Ridley's "canon" when you're suggesting the playable one be fusions of drastically different Ridleys from different games and concept art :laugh:
Also, the Kirby series/Olimar arguments are pointless, considering they're portrayed to be the a size in THEIR universe, with nothing else to compare it to. Samus and Ridley are from the same universe

BUT if there's one thing I love about you guys is your ability to come up with nicknames

Ah well. For now:
I have a hunch your from Miiverse.
Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a hunch... :demon:

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
Come to think of it, wouldn't an Air Grab be kinda OP?
You could knock someone out of the arena, fly towards them, then FThrow/DThrow 'em to guarantee a kill. :065:
Lucario has sorta the same thing Project M, and if you're good enough you can get away from it.

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice

Ah well. For now:
I'm sorry, but do you have a list of people that want composite Ridley? because I don't particularly wish to see him like that. Some do and some don't. Does that automatically invalidate everything we have posted? Did any of us call you a "Toobigot?" Does the creator of the entire Smash series when he says things like "character scale dosn't matter" and "Canon is not that important when making the game" (paraphrasing) not hold any credibility because we decide to use his words as material for discussion?

But I digress, I hope you enjoy the game when it comes out regardless of Ridley's fate.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
I have a hunch your from Miiverse.
Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust a hunch... :demon:
Ughhhhhhfiiiiine maybe I'll come back for just a sec.
Actually, Mr. River, I have never used Miiverse, nor do I even have a Wii U or 3DS yet T-T
I'm 15 and actually a very logical thinking person.
Might I ask what makes you think I'm from Miiverse?

Oh, and @ Jeanne Jeanne , I don't have a list but a bit back I saw a decent number who supported a composite Ridley. And I was reading things, and I suppose I'm classified as a toobigot. I do think that name is hilarious though :D

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I hope tomorrow clears up all this debate.
Be it him joining or him getting left out...although honestly, I hope he makes it because of all this support.

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I'm pretty sure the "August 12th" special broadcast is actually bs. The only sources that talk about it are those from a month ago, and the only one that's recent is actually a "Christian music web portal," whatever the hell that is. I highly doubt it's a reliable source of information, especially since it's the only site that's still talking about a smash broadcast with new info.

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
Actually, Mr. River, I have never used Miiverse, nor do I even have a Wii U or 3DS yet T-T

Oh, and @ Jeanne Jeanne , I don't have a list but a bit back I saw a decent number who supported a composite Ridley. And I was reading things, and I suppose I'm classified as a toobigot. I do think that name is hilarious though :D
A decent number... you know you are going to have to do better than that to convince me of the blanket statement : "Well I guess I should've known you wouldn't care about my mentions of Ridley's "canon" when you're suggesting the playable one be fusions of drastically different Ridleys from different games and concept art :laugh:"

Who do you refer to when you say "You're'? Everyone on this board? Why do you classify yourelf as a Toobigot? People are allowed to disagree without getting beligerant about something so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Is a decent number.. everyone who has ever wanted Ridley playable in the game? Is it two? Do you see why this might be an issue?

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I imagined that the up special allowed Ridley to enter a sort of "flight mode" in which he is able to use his aerials more effectively and be limited to slow horizontal movement in the air. He'd be able to be knocked out of the air by strong attacks, and he COULD jump out of it though the move wouldn't restore his jumps. So essentially out of sheer irony, Ridley would have multiple / higher jumps, but his up special move wouldn't be an even remotely vertical recovery but instead a slow and very counterable horizontal recovery.
Maybe the moves wouldn't even be aerials, it could be a completely new set of air moves. That'd be cool, even if it only worked for Ridley's specials.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
A decent number... you know you are going to have to do better than that to convince me of the blanket statement : "Well I guess I should've known you wouldn't care about my mentions of Ridley's "canon" when you're suggesting the playable one be fusions of drastically different Ridleys from different games and concept art :laugh:"

Who do you refer to when you say "You're'? Everyone on this board? Why do you classify yourelf as a Toobigot? People are allowed to disagree without getting beligerant about something so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things.

Is a decent number.. everyone who has ever wanted Ridley playable in the game? Is it two? Do you see why this might be an issue?
Well I didn't care to check the actual number, as I didn't think it mattered much. Eh.
And the "Second Post" classified me as a toobigot. Either way I don't really care too much, and if Ridley IS downsized to be playable, I'm down as long as Sakurai does it right. I didn't think Miis would be good but look where they ended up. HOLY FLIP CRAZY AMAZING! All I think is that Ridley is a better character as a boss, I suppose. But if he's playable, not like I'll be butthurt or anything. I'll play the heck out of him, because he's an awesome character.

Last edited:

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
Well I didn't care to check the actual number, as I didn't think it mattered much. Eh.
And the "Second Post" classified me as a toobigot. Either way I don't really care too much, and if Ridley IS downsized to be playable, I'm down as long as Sakurai does it right. I didn't think Miis would be good but look where they ended up. HOLY FLIP CRAZY AMAZING! All I think is that Ridley is a better character as a boss, I suppose. But if he's playable, not like I'll be butthurt or anything. I'll play the heck out of him, because he's an awesome character.
It does when you put words in the mouths of other people (me included) Not a good way to make your point. Do you know the definition of bigotry? Have you ever explicitly said "Well ****! That dude Ridley would play like horse feces if he were shrunk and anyone who believes otherwise is a big stinkin tool!" Because I thought you were fine, I just didn't think your analogy of Ridley laughing at a smaller Ridley a very good example.. I apologize if my reply to you seemed rude or something.

And see? even you would play as Ridley. Why make us look dumb then?

Last edited:

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
Would I be crazy if I said I actually probably won't enjoy playing as Ridley, even though I really want him in? I've wanted this Purple Dragon in Smash since Melee, when I saw him in the opening FMV (That was back when I was 10 or something like that). I've just been swept up in the Ridley Hype Train too heavily, and yet I honestly don't really think I'm going to enjoy his moveset too much. Of course, knowing Sakurai/the Smash Team, I'm also pretty sure I'm going to be eating these words if/when I see the Ridley reveal trailer. The movesets this time around seem really cool and interesting; I'm genuinely enamored.

Last edited:
It's. Nice to have a generally polite detractor for once.

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
I hope tomorrow clears up all this debate.
Be it him joining or him getting left out...although honestly, I hope he makes it because of all this support.
Tomorrow is all this being cleared up?! Men thanks for the tip! now i can go a happy...

GOOD LOOK TO ALL THE SUPPORTERS! :D

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman

for a "logical" person, you just did the most illogical thing possible... coming here and basically saying "ridley is too big" and not using any good reasoning for it.

it does not matter if ridley is shrunk down... and so what is samus and ridley are from the same game? THAT suddenly disqualifies ridley because of his size? he can be resized?

well, link and ganondorf are from the same game... ganondorf is supposed to be a towering giant of a man... yet he is shrunk down.

what say you to that?

besides, it doesnt matter if they are from the same game or not... are you saying its perfectly fine that olimar is VISIBLE? considering he's the size of a freaking quarter in his games?

he grew in size significantly to be able to compete in smash.

seriously... the flawed logic you used is the SAME EXACT THING every detractor uses for their argument... its the same thing... and it makes no sense at all... it uses NO logical reasoning.

you cant say ridley's size matters just because samus is in the game, when other characters are in the game who are either much bigger or much smaller in their original series.

king dedede, kirby, olimar, ganondorf, and likely several others... have all been resized to work well in smash.

ridley can be too, no matter how many times you or any other person throw that same argument around.

also, to everyone else, regarding my "goodbye" post... well, i DID leave for a little while... then i found myself very bored and came right back to this topic... damn it, i just cant get away... ridley has sunk his teeth into me and wont let go!

Last edited:

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
It's. Nice to have a generally polite detractor for once.
Why of course good sir! :D

Oh, and @ ZeroJinKui ZeroJinKui , I'm not bashing you or anything, but you're saying the same thing most other Ridley supporters would say. It's a tad hypocritical :/

BUT WHATEVER I'm done trying to be a detractor, because it's obvious nobody on either side will change their opinion :p from now on I shall be a perfectly peaceful visitor to this thread (I think)! Because it would be pointless to argue and bicker!

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
The issue with Ridley isn't the size, but the proportions. His body is a mess of big parts combined with small parts. Long, thin neck and tail with huge wings and a strangely shaped head. Shrinking him down is the lesser of problems.

But I know Sakurai will manage. He always does.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Ah well. For now:
Ok, you want to talk canonical size in the same universe?

Pokémon.

Charizard (5'07") would need to be more than four times the size of Pikachu (1'04") and Jigglypuff (1'08").

Let's look at Dialga, who showed up in Brawl on Spear Pillar. He clocks in at a whopping (17'09"), which means he would barely fit onto the screen.

Do you really want me to go on? Because there are a lot of Pokémon size problems in Smash Bros. I'm just getting started.

Or are you going to argue that all the Pokémon don't come from the same universe either?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As far as size goes, Ganondorf goes from twice Link's size in Twilight Princess to about a head taller than him in Smash Bros., and going by official heights, Charizard and Mewtwo should be five to six times the height of Pikachu in Smash Bros. when they clearly aren't.

Plus, when Ridley fights on land in the Metroid games (Prime, Prime 3, Other M), he's either heavily slouched over or on all fours - either of those stances would be much easier to get him down to the height of Bowser or Rosalina as opposed to standing upright.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
The issue with Ridley isn't the size, but the proportions. His body is a mess of big parts combined with small parts. Long, thin neck and tail with huge wings and a strangely shaped head. Shrinking him down is the lesser of problems.

Proportions aren't even a problem, he looks fine shrunken down on his own. Just not when the model is directly ripped from a huge model.

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice

Not only that, but the animations. Just look at some of his animations in Brawl, they're pretty horrendous. But I expect that won't be a problem this time around; the Smash Team has already shown how competent they are at making Smash 4 look and feel flawless. I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same for Ridley.

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Proportions aren't even a problem, he looks fine shrunken down on his own. Just not when the model is directly ripped from a huge model.
I know it's not a big issue either, but it's a bigger problem than size. I've seen a ton of fan-made images of how Ridley would look if he walked on all fours, and it looks perfectly fine.

Top Bottom