• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
I know it's not a big issue either, but it's a bigger problem than size. I've seen a ton of fan-made images of how Ridley would look if he walked on all fours, and it looks perfectly fine.
The only problem ridley has is either splosion, samus, or Sacks of rice.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Listen, about the 'Ridley can't be shrunk down because perportions' argument. It's true, but Other M made Ridley make a gym which he tested himself, and then Knuckles, Ike and Mega Swampert went there. Good quality gym!

Although we shouldn't really argue to this liets bloke/gal, not because their logic is flawed or wrong, but we just showed him/her the 2nd post when...Screw it, I'm checking gender. He disagrees from some points, this may be the Ridley thread, but it's the Ridley DISCUSSION thread! Do we need IsmaR to tell us this multiple times? She might be busy!

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
It's not the matter of Why or How now.
It's WHEN.
We need a Nintendo Direct, pronto!
Don't let us down, Nintendo!

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
In fact, I want to talk about Dialga a bit more.

In every incarnation of him, he's huge. Forget Ridley, Dialga dwarfs most others we see. In the anime, he's huge. In the games? He is large enough to outright dwarf the player on the map screen.

People may argue that "oh, Bowser sometimes changes size, but Ridley doesn't". Well Dialga doesn't either. He is ALWAYS massive, especially in comparison to other Pokémon. Yet there's no problem shrinking him down to make him a stage hazard?

If you can't shrink Ridley down, fine. Make everyone else larger instead. It works for Olimar and Kirby.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Almost every newcomer if not all newcomers have a special thing about them, so Ridley is bound to have something unique too and I'm sure it's a flying mechanic.

Megaman = Can run and jump with his neutral A.

Rosalina = Can control Luma to help her fight.

Villager = Can pocket projectiles and throw them back/ Tree move.

Little Mac = KO meter.

Palutena = Has more varied and unique custom moves than any other fighter (except Mii Fighters). Example she doesn't just have a variation of an existing move, she can choose from completely different ones.

Mii Fighters = Completely customizable.

Robin = Weapon and tome durability.

Wii Fit Trainer = Sun salutation and deep breathing.

Pac Man = Can summon items

Lucina = As far as we know she has nothing at the moment.

Greninja = Not too sure what he has that's special. Perhaps the substitute move?

Some veterans may have them too:

Lucario is the only veteran I can think of that has something unique as well, his attacks get stronger when he has high percentage.
Actually even Lucina has something. She can take her mask on and off via taunt. Not groundbreaking mind you, but it's an action no other Smash character can do nonetheless.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Actually even Lucina has something. She can take her mask on and off via taunt. Not groundbreaking mind you, but it's an action no other Smash character can do nonetheless.
So is capn falcon crunch's mechanic to show him your moves?

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Listen, about the 'Ridley can't be shrunk down because perportions' argument. It's true, but Other M made Ridley make a gym which he tested himself, and then Knuckles, Ike and Mega Swampert went there. Good quality gym!

Although we shouldn't really argue to this liets bloke/gal, not because their logic is flawed or wrong, but we just showed him/her the 2nd post when...Screw it, I'm checking gender. He disagrees from some points, this may be the Ridley thread, but it's the Ridley DISCUSSION thread! Do we need IsmaR to tell us this multiple times? She might be busy!
UGH you people type quickly. Makin me feel like a double/triple/etc poster when I reply to you :p THANK YOU for being somebody to try to stop any arguing/flame. Like I said, I'll stop arguing anything, because it does nobody any good.

Also, I've never been called bloke before. Neat :D

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
With Brawley, I can understand the proportions issue. He is pretty much one of the more well known Ridley incarnations to most smashers, because....well, he appeared in Brawl. Some people don't play metroid and stuff. And yeah, when you shrink him down, he does start looking kind of silly with his giant head.
With Roidley, however, this is no longer an excuse.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
With Brawley, I can understand the proportions issue. He is pretty much one of the more well known Ridley incarnations to most smashers, because....well, he appeared in Brawl. Some people don't play metroid and stuff. And yeah, when you shrink him down, he does start looking kind of silly with his giant head.
With Emiley, however, this is no longer an excuse.
fixed

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
UGH you people type quickly. Makin me feel like a double/triple/etc poster when I reply to you :p THANK YOU for being somebody to try to stop any arguing/flame. Like I said, I'll stop arguing anything, because it does nobody any good.

Also, I've never been called bloke before. Neat :D
Sorry, my British was showing, and I'm sick of the Ridley debate for the sheer fact that most detractors are pretty damn offensive. You, Jerry Applesauce and I think Rogersbase seem to be exceptions to that just like Ridley

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
The issue with Ridley isn't the size, but the proportions. His body is a mess of big parts combined with small parts. Long, thin neck and tail with huge wings and a strangely shaped head. Shrinking him down is the lesser of problems.

But I know Sakurai will manage. He always does.
Other m Ridley, that's all I have to say.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
With Roidley, however, this is no longer an excuse.
I wish Brawl Ridley wasn't one of the most well known.
That incarnation makes Ridley look rather lifeless to me. It's the eyes.

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
In the next Nintendo direct, just to intensify the situation Sakurai will be covering Bosses on most stages. Then after showing most stage bosses he will show pyrosphere and then the video cuts off and we see the smash logo flames appear. then, and only then can Ridley destroy the internet.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
In the next Nintendo direct, just to intensify the situation Sakurai will be covering Bosses on most stages. Then after showing most stage bosses he will show pyrosphere and then the video cuts off and we see the smash logo flames appear. then, and only then can Ridley destroy the internet.
Or Ridley suddenly shows up on stages of other bosses and starts beating them up.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Sorry, my British was showing, and I'm sick of the Ridley debate for the sheer fact that most detractors are pretty damn offensive. You, Jerry Applesauce and I think Rogersbase seem to be exceptions to that just like Ridley
Don't be sorry, mate! :D
Feels good to be on the accepted list, too!

Psst can any of you show me a picture of the ideal Ridley incarnation most of you peeps would prefer?

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
View attachment 21192
maybe if they changed those eyes a little bit?
I think if his pupils were a bit more pronounced it would be a lot better. I only see them if I look closely.
Having eyes be a solid bright color can take away the "life" of a character. Like how if you draw a person without pupils or highlights in their eyes.

Sababu

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sababu1
Yea that's sort of what I was thinking. Ridley HAS to have a tail attack. Well...It's not really a question of if he has one. It's more of a question of how many he'll have.
HE will be a Charazard clone. What else will they do withh movesets?

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Does Ridley summon rocks? Does Charizard grab stuff all the time or bombard everything? And the 'they will be a clone' argument is invalid because of :rosalina:
Well, to be fair, Rosalina has a spaceship and an army of magical star-people at her command. And Peach, well, has the exceptional ability to get kidnapped.

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
HE will be a Charazard clone. What else will they do withh movesets?
Oh wow, this should be good...

Ridley could easily have a bunch of interesting moves that are nothing like Charizard's moves. Namely, some command grabs, a Flight-based recovery move, several more slashing and scratching attacks that Charizard doesn't have, and lots of aerial mobility, namely a groundpound. Also, Fireballs instead of Flamethrower.

Yes, definitely a Charizard clone, for sure! /sarcasm.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I think if his pupils were a bit more pronounced it would be a lot better. I only see them if I look closely.
Having eyes be a solid bright color can take away the "life" of a character. Like how if you draw a person without pupils or highlights in their eyes.
Oh, I thought you mean the size of his eyes...then you mean like thisL
408042_247365315345045_2022710848_n - Copy.jpg

I see what you mean, the color of his pupils make him look blind...kind of....it needs more contrast....

Oh and this drawing is just a part of the whole thing...

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Why of course good sir! :D

Oh, and @ ZeroJinKui ZeroJinKui , I'm not bashing you or anything, but you're saying the same thing most other Ridley supporters would say. It's a tad hypocritical :/

BUT WHATEVER I'm done trying to be a detractor, because it's obvious nobody on either side will change their opinion :p from now on I shall be a perfectly peaceful visitor to this thread (I think)! Because it would be pointless to argue and bicker!
excuse me?

you have no idea what a hypocrite is, do you?

that much is obvious...

for "not trying to bash me", you definitely sounded quite insulting there, to me and countless others.

your age is showing.

Last edited:

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
where you find that we will get something tomorrow? and btw look at those link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5dcuvDtKcghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyvWCMZ4s60 I don't find ******** or something when he shrank down.

sababu so if he got a tail attack that will make him charizard clone? then all sword mand are clone since they all hit with a sword? and charizard is a clone of bowser then both breath fire :)

ridley could hit someone like a spear with his tail (that charizard don't do ) and ridley don't have any flare blitz attack :)

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
where you find that we will get something tomorrow? and btw look at those link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5dcuvDtKcghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyvWCMZ4s60 I don't find ******** or something when he shrank down.

sababu so if he got a tail attack that will make him charizard clone? then all sword mand are clone since they all hit with a sword? and charizard is a clone of bowser then both breath fire :)

ridley could hit someone like a spear with his tail (that charizard don't do ) and ridley don't have any flare blitz attack :)
It's not confirmed, i'm just certain that we are getting an announcement bout a direct tomorrow.

Top Bottom