• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah, Palutena's moveset is based off of abilities and items from KI:U. Aura Storm doesn't even exist, that just goes to show you how un-canon this whole thing is.

Also, did you know that Pikachu's neutral B isn't even a Pokemon move from the games? Thunder Jolt is exclusive to the Trading Card Game. :)
Also, there is Tripple Finish, which is impossible in Pokemon games. Or at least doesn't looks like that or was impossible during Brawl days.
Yes. Shouldn't Pikachu be unable to use his final smash/Is Pikachu's final smash done incorrectly?
Well...his big, and has wings to fly, so his gliding mechanic will be like Pit's?

I don't know...i like the idea of him coming in, but i dont like the OP kinda character (i always play Mario....and marht) so what do you guys think it can be done to balance him? and make him equal powerfull like every other character
Large size, end lag/start lag/whatever those are called in his ground attacks, long range with above average strenght/attack power, Meta Knigh-level (or at least Little Mac-on-the-ground level) aerial attacks, average movement speed on the ground. That is enough IMO.
I hate ideas of him being TRASH on the ground. Ridley is still a powerful opponent on the ground in any of the games he appeared in, especially Other M. If he would be as good on the ground as Brawl Bowser, then it will be perfect, but making him a lot worse is a bad idea.

Last edited:

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKl7wSTVqA

Palutena, Rosalina, and Zelda faint at the sight of Mighty Prince Ridley!

"Prince Ridley! Handsome is he, Ali Ababwa! That physique, how can I speak! Weak at the knee... Well, get on out in that square Adjust your veil and prepare To gawk and grovel and stare at Prince Ridleeeeeey!"
Oh my.. actually the Nosferatu one on your signature is pretty darn funny. Kudos

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Also, there is Tripple Finish, which is impossible in Pokemon games. Or at least doesn't looks like that or was impossible during Brawl days.
Yes. Shouldn't Pikachu be unable to use his final smash/Is Pikachu's final smash done incorrectly?
Triple Finish was not possible at the time of Brawl, as Triple Battles were introduced in Gen 5 (after Brawl). Even then it still isn't a move, just some sort of awkward combination.

The only way Pikachu could use Volt Tackle is if he evolved from Pichu from Melee (who was bred with it) or he was bred with it (when he was a Pichu). So much non-canon in Pokemon Smashers.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Come to think of it, wouldn't an Air Grab be kinda OP?
You could knock someone out of the arena, fly towards them, then FThrow/DThrow 'em to guarantee a kill. :065:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
You could knock someone out of the arena, fly towards them, then FThrow/DThrow 'em to guarantee a kill. :065:
Dk Donkey kong, he's the leader of the bunch, you know him well he's finally back. To kick some tail!
He has a grab move that can carry people.

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
Not if you are frozen in place after you grab someone like any ground grab and you can only input attack and directional inputs. He could have more end lag to his grabs as well so he wont be able to do infinite grabs in the air. Also make air grabs more punishable if they wiff.

Also I really do think we should compare charizard and Ridley.. at least in terms of flying mechanics. He should have flying options but they should not be the deal breaker of his movesert.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
P2A571_0DB8C45BD9DAC_000.gif

Well...it seems that Ridley won't be able to have his bloody meal today....nor I'm going to be able to become the Merciless Assassin Artist I wanted to be when I learned to use the DAMNED graphic tablet....

=u= Or maybe I can...if I'm careful...

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Dk Donkey kong, he's the leader of the bunch, you know him well he's finally back. To kick some tail!
He has a grab move that can carry people.
But the one thing DK doesn't have is Multi-Jump-Capable-Wings, and using a DThrow when carrying his opponents. DK can only toss 'em forwards, and can't fly over to get someone out of reach.

With Ridley being much more versatile in the Air, he could easily do such things our :057: can't.
But I'm not here to argue, I'm here to keep spirits high and happy. :140:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Still, he has to be on the groud to use this grab move. If Ridley will be able to do that IN THE AIR, it will be overpowered.
End lag, cooldown times. Make it short sweet and smiple.

Also
Question to everyone: Which Japantime podcast episode did they talk about pyrosphere and which one did they talk about Basses in?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Depends on how the grab would work (as in, where can you grab people and stuff) and how the flying mechanic would work (can you shift in elevation or is it just hovering).

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Can't :4falcon: do something simular with his Side Speical? Or a well timed Meteor Smash? I thought there was some mechanic to jump out of Knockback if you get send flying downward.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
How do you even remember your dreams like that? I can barely keep ten seconds of consecutive dream in my head when I wake up.
Well, I only remember certain parts well, there was also some other stuff with Shulk, Chorus Kids and Meta Knight that's really hazy for me. Usually I'm good at remembering my dreams though, not exactly sure why though.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
End lag, cooldown times. Make it short sweet and smiple.

Also
Question to everyone: Which Japantime podcast episode did they talk about pyrosphere and which one did they talk about Basses in?
I know Megaman made it in, but Bass has made it in too now?! More than one Bass in fact? I guess we could have the original Bass, and then Bass.exe from Battle Network...

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
Trash on the ground, King in the air, to put it bluntly.

With the majority of his ground set being meant to lift opponents into the air/spacing.
So it will be on how trash he is the ground, and how good his in the air (kinda the exact same thing that hapens with mac) just that instead of sticking to the ground just stick to the air, but to do that he would need a good gliding mechanic, then if he has it, it would need to be balanced somewhere because he would be a heavy flyer, air-killer and hard to knock off

So many replies (o.o)

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Can't :4falcon: do something simular with his Side Speical? Or a well timed Meteor Smash? I thought there was some mechanic to jump out of Knockback if you get send flying downward.
Only thing is Falcon enters helpless mode when he does so.

So... how about we give his Air Grabs a slow start-up, and have the throws decrease one/two of his jumps.
Like, a Back Throw and Up Throw would take away 1 of his jumps, and a Forward Throw or Down throw would take away two.
We could give Ridley 4 Kirby-esque (aka it goes about as far as Kirby's) Standard Jumps, and a Up B Similar to Pit's, but not as far-reaching.
That'd be some fine balancing. :3

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I don't know about :falconmelee:, because I don't main him, but I know that :ganondorfmelee: has something like that. It works kinda like Kirbycide, but if you grab someone in the air with your Side-B, :ganondorfmelee: will plummet as far down as he can go until he hits a solid platform, or else he'll die too.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Only thing is Falcon enters helpless mode when he does so.

So... how about we give his Air Grabs a slow start-up, and have the throws decrease one/two of his jumps.
Like, a Back Throw and Up Throw would take away 1 of his jumps, and a Forward Throw or Down throw would take away two.
We could give Ridley 4 Kirby-esque (aka it goes about as far as Kirby's) Standard Jumps, and a Up B Similar to Pit's, but not as far-reaching.
That'd be some fine balancing. :3
Thing is, if Ridley has a flying mechanic (which after the footage we have seen is pretty much guaranteed assuming he is playable), he might not have multiple secondary jumps. In that case, it could take away time from his flight meter.

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
Doubt he will get a gliding mechanic. Instead, we're betting on a new flying mechanic, similar to Peach's hover but longer, as possibly also aerial grabs.
Uuuhh now that sounds promising, and is a good idea ^^ new gliding mechanic just for him, then when it run of he will need to re-charge in the ground, and that's his vulnerable time?

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Pikachu is the boss of the Perrosphere: Other boss characters and procedes to show Pikachu!

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
Uuuhh now that sounds promising, and is a good idea ^^ new gliding mechanic just for him, then when it run of he will need to re-charge in the ground, and that's his vulnerable time?
That actually sounds really cool! like, he would flap his wings while on the ground and the longer you charge the flapping the longer he will be able to stay in the air once you release the input.

Edit: oh man! or like, he can hold the charge like DK or Lucario and use it when he needs it.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Doubt he will get a gliding mechanic. Instead, we're betting on a new flying mechanic, similar to Peach's hover but longer, as possibly also aerial grabs.
So

Like this but with a shorter time and a display bar to show when you can fly?

Almost every newcomer if not all newcomers have a special thing about them, so Ridley is bound to have something unique too and I'm sure it's a flying mechanic.

Megaman = Can run and jump with his neutral A.

Rosalina = Can control Luma to help her fight.

Villager = Can pocket projectiles and throw them back/ Tree move.

Little Mac = KO meter.

Palutena = Has more varied and unique custom moves than any other fighter (except Mii Fighters). Example she doesn't just have a variation of an existing move, she can choose from completely different ones.

Mii Fighters = Completely customizable.

Robin = Weapon and tome durability.

Wii Fit Trainer = Sun salutation and deep breathing.

Pac Man = Can summon items

Lucina = As far as we know she has nothing at the moment.

Greninja = Not too sure what he has that's special. Perhaps the substitute move?

Some veterans may have them too:

Lucario is the only veteran I can think of that has something unique as well, his attacks get stronger when he has high percentage.

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So

Like this but with a shorter time and a display bar to show when you can fly?
More Like ROB's Up-B in terms of recharging, and combined with Peach's float. At least, if the direct footage is anything to go by. Full, unrestricted flight would be marvelous but I don't expect it.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Maybe for Ridley's final smash he'll grow to his real size and obscure the screen eventually destroying your TV with his sheer mass.

:troll:

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
That actually sounds really cool! like, he would flap his wings while on the ground and the longer you charge the flapping the longer he will be able to stay in the air once you release the input.

Edit: oh man! or like, he can hold the charge like DK or Lucario and use it when he needs it.
I now! ^^ and that would make him very unique and special to, but if he hasn't gliding of any kind (besides his special chargable one) if his in the ground uncharged and is knocked off stage...his death? That would be big weakness to balance him

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
I now! ^^ and that would make him very unique and special to, but if he hasn't gliding of any kind (besides his special chargable one) if his in the ground uncharged and is knocked off stage...his death? That would be big weakness to balance him
I think that's a little harsh. I must say, I'm not really digging this "Chargeable Hover" gimmick. I'd prefer either a Peach-Style Hover, or a Brawl Pit-Style Up-Special. The problem is that Brawl Pit's Up-B was OP as crapbaskets.

A Rob-style Up-B might be cool though, doesn't seem as bad.

Last edited:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Yes ROB, I will always love you!

Guys, check out Nintendo of Murica's twitter, it has a direct on it!
Ridley cunfarmed

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Almost every newcomer if not all newcomers have a special thing about them, so Ridley is bound to have something unique too and I'm sure it's a flying mechanic.

Megaman = Can run and jump with his neutral A.

Rosalina = Can control Luma to help her fight.

Villager = Can pocket projectiles and throw them back/ Tree move.

Little Mac = KO meter.

Palutena = Has more varied and unique custom moves than any other fighter (except Mii Fighters). Example she doesn't just have a variation of an existing move, she can choose from completely different ones.

Mii Fighters = Completely customizable.

Robin = Weapon and tome durability.

Wii Fit Trainer = Sun salutation and deep breathing.

Pac Man = Can summon items

Lucina = As far as we know she has nothing at the moment.

Greninja = Not too sure what he has that's special. Perhaps the substitute move?

Some veterans may have them too:

Lucario is the only veteran I can think of that has something unique as well, his attacks get stronger when he has high percentage.
Lucina = Attack damage is balanced entirely throughout the weapon.

Most characters don't have this, such as Mario's punch. It's gonna hurt more if you get hit by the fist, but if you get hit by his arm it'll hurt less. Lucina's attacks are balanced in damage throughout the entire sword.

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
Maybe they can give him a really weak UpB move (a straight shot up, sort of like Little Macs Uppercut) without any directionality to make up for the fact that he can stay in the air for like.. 7 seconds with a charged flight. That way he wouldn't have like 4 different ways of achieving flight. His other moves like SideA or something could help with his vertical reach.

Maybe even the charge could effect the properties of his moves. Like a standard SideA would just be a lunge while a Charge Flight SideA would allow for a little bit of glide with that lunge. So in other words, the key to playing Ridley would all depend on when you felt like activating his flight mode; do you keep it to have the extra glid in your attacks or do you activate it to follow into a combo way up in the air?

Edit: he would be like Hakan, a good grappler on his own but much better once you apply his body oil.

Second Edit: Also, to prevent people from constantly staying in the air with Charged Flight attacks, they can deteriorate in distance travelled with each time they are used so you would not be able to stay in the air indefinetly with any single or thread of attacks.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Yes ROB, I will always love you!

Guys, check out Nintendo of Murica's twitter, it has a direct on it!
Ridley cunfarmed
I love R.O.B. too. =w=
And did they actually announce a Direct on Twitter? :3

Top Bottom