• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Well, I read the second post, and... it did nothing for me.
In each of those size comparisons, Ridley is either too small or way too small, to be Ridley. If canon Ridley were to look upon that Ridley, he would laugh at the puny size of the dragon. Seriously, are you guys willing to trade a playable character for a decent portrayal of them? And too, even with those too small models, the hurtboxes are gigantic, he would get hit by way too many things to be viable as a usable character. I just... don't think you know what you want. It's like if Bowser was just barely taller than Mario. It wouldn't be right.
Well, we think they look ok. I find the one with Samus being at Ridley's chest height pretty damn swell. Yeah, he would have huge hurtboxes, but eh, you can't judge a character based solely on their hurtboxes now can you? Maybe he makes up for it with flying shenanigans or something.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
That was highly inappropriate. I love South Park too but please don't post things like that.

To me on the size front, it's not how big they are or aren't. It's how well they're scaled, and Ridley has very good proportions, minus his tail. However, like his wings, the tail can be tucked away using the fore/background to avoid any weird hurtbox issues it might otherwise create.
I deeply apologise, I did it with humorous intentions and didn't think it would offend anyone. It won't happen again.

Zekrom101

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zekrom101
Size doesn't matter in Smash Bros.

"Two that are actually not so tall. Kirby's about 8 inches high, Captain Olimar maybe a little over an inch." - Sakurai PotD

"Pic of the day. This dog is huge… Wait, no, the playable characters are small. The Smash Bros. series doesn't always stay true to scale." - Sakurai PotD

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
In each of those size comparisons, Ridley is either too small or way too small, to be Ridley. If canon Ridley were to look upon that Ridley, he would laugh at the puny size of the dragon. Seriously, are you guys willing to trade a playable character for a decent portrayal of them? And too, even with those too small models, the hurtboxes are gigantic, he would get hit by way too many things to be viable as a usable character. I just... don't think you know what you want. It's like if Bowser was just barely taller than Mario. It wouldn't be right.
See, here is the thing; canon Ridley isn't a real entity so it does not really care how large it is portrayed. If anything, a being who is very self centered would care more about how many times it has been represented instead. Also if Ridley were real, he would be really mad that he has been relegated to "level punching bag' (boss) rather than something that could potentially always win (playable character.) Also have you ever played any of the Marvel Vs. Series? Juggernaut would like to have a word with you..

Edit: actually, so would Sentinel..

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Cause canon sizes only matter to Ridley and NOOO body else.
Wait.
It's like if Bowser was just barely taller than Mario.
Wat.
He sorta is...

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
See, here is the thing; canon Ridley isn't a real entity so it does not really care how large it is portrayed. If anything, a being who is very self centered would care more about how many times it has been represented instead. Also if Ridley were real, he would be really mad that he has been relegated to "level punching bag' (boss) rather than something that could potentially always win (playable character.) Also have you ever played any of the Marvel Vs. Series? Juggernaut would like to have a word with you..
Juggernaut is too big for smash

it is kind of unfair to compare a fighting game with platforms that determine size to a traditional 2D fighter with no restriction though.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Dreamt that Ridley was announced and demoed at Gamescon, his movements were so weird, he was almost slithering his way around the stage when on the ground. Some of his ground attacks made him jump up in the air for easy follow-ups, for example his U-Smash was a diagonal headbutt that launched him up in the air, it was a weird playstyle, but I remember digging it.

...I dream too much about Ridley.

Last edited:

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
Juggernaut is too big for smash

it is kind of unfair to compare a fighting game with platforms that determine size to a traditional 2D fighter with no restriction though.
I bring it up only because he mentioned Hitboxes making a character unviable when characters have done just fine with that against them in the past. These characters do super jumps and can be anti aired and stuff like that. They often have ways around this handicap; (super armor mostly) Ridley could get around it with air mobility and can be balanced by making him a lighter character.

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
I bring it up only because he mentioned Hitboxes making a character unviable when characters have done just fine with that against them in the past. These characters do super jumps and can be anti aired and stuff like that. They often have ways around this handicap; (super armor mostly) Ridley could get around it with air mobility and can be balanced by making him a lighter character.
Heavy weight with hops could be cool, not only that but if he has immense power wouldn't a larger hotbox balance things out? Not to mention if he was in the game, his tails notorious invincibility would return along with wings in the Z-Axis, making them generally unhittable

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Why do so many peoples think that SSB follows canon in every way? And that is while Squirtle drowns, Samus and Sonic don't just sink to the bottom when on the watter and instead swim, Ridley takes damage from something like Jigglypuff's punches and fire attacks (especially that since he lives in LOWER PART OF NORFAIR, when even SAMUS takes damage without right suit, so, fire would not deal any damage to him or at least be nearly useless) even though it should deal 0.01% since he can easily survive getting hit by a missile and his skin block uncharged version of Plasma Beam that goes through every normal enemy, Charizard uses Rock Smash, Lucario uses Aura Storm in a wrong way (it is not a kamekameha beam in pokemon games), Mario teams up with Bowser to beat Peach and Luigi, Kirby can inhale Meta Knight, Ganondorf wearing a bunny hood with a lip's stick in his hand gets beatened by Jigglypuff, just Captain Falcon's specials and his personality (he wasn't like that in F-Zero games), everyone can survive getting stabbed through by a sword as long as they don't get off-screen, just the fact that characters from different franchises exist in the same game, characters' sizes, Kirby can use his specials (except for Neutral B) without having to eat enemies that give him those powers (rock, cutter/sword and hammer), BIG GAY DANCE, Mario using Shoryuken and shooting 2 giant fireballs, etc.
BUT NOOOOOOOO, Ridley must follow canon in every way! If we will go by this kind of logic, then he must be the strongest character in any of the SSB games since he should be able to KO anyone with any of his attacks on 0% since they can instantly kill Samus in Other M if she has only 1 energy tank while in Varia Suit (that is already impressive), take nearly no damage from anyone except for Ganondorf and Samus since he takes A LOT of missiles, super missiles, charged PLASMA BEAM shots before "dying" (he still somehow survives that) and he should not wait until enemy attacks him. So, is it a good idea to follow canon with him? Or whe should follow only a SPECIFIC PART of the canon? Either something applies to everything or it is completly ignored. No exceptions should be made.

Oh, and who wins (most of the time) in battle between Bowser (very large target) and Pichu (very small target) in Melee? Of course not Pichu, who has pathetic range, but SMALL HURTBOXES, yeah, that is important to be useful. But guess what? That doesn't helps him a lot. He is still s**t tier. While Ganondorf in the same game is high tier character despite being a large target. But since he is a large target, he is useless. Does that makes any sense? No.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
...to be viable as a usable character...
Then ban him from tournaments. I have a gif for you.

Sakurai has no focus of viability, and if he did, the Wii U and 3DS support patch updates. In fact, Mario Kart 8 is getting one on August 27.

It's like if Bowser was just barely taller than Mario. It wouldn't be right.

King DeDeDe is canonically about 16 inches tall. Yep, size.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Pic of the Day:

" It's time to take flight! Tingle, a returning assist trophy, is showing our little friend just how it is done."

content removed
Oh snap, the Image was removed. Was it dat sirius?
....Ididn'tgettoseeit.:100:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Pic of the Day:

" It's time to take flight! Tingle, a returning assist trophy, is showing our little friend just how it is done."

content removed
Yes. YES.
Don't tell Japan though.

Why do so many peoples think that SSB follows canon in every way? And that is while Squirtle drowns, Samus and Sonic don't just sink to the bottom when on the watter and instead swim, Ridley takes damage from something like Jigglypuff's punches and fire attacks (especially that since he lives in LOWER PART OF NORFAIR, when even SAMUS takes damage without right suit, so, fire would not deal any damage to him or at least be nearly useless) even though it should deal 0.01% since he can easily survive getting hit by a missile and his skin block uncharged version of Plasma Beam that goes through every normal enemy, Charizard uses Rock Smash, Lucario uses Aura Storm in a wrong way (it is not a kamekameha beam in pokemon games), Mario teams up with Bowser to beat Peach and Luigi, Kirby can inhale Meta Knight, Ganondorf wearing a bunny hood with a lip's stick in his hand gets beatened by Jigglypuff, just Captain Falcon's specials and his personality (he wasn't like that in F-Zero games), everyone can survive getting stabbed through by a sword as long as they don't get off-screen, just the fact that characters from different franchises exist in the same game, characters' sizes, Kirby can use his specials (except for Neutral B) without having to eat enemies that give him those powers (rock, cutter/sword and hammer), BIG GAY DANCE, Mario using Shoryuken and shooting 2 giant fireballs, etc.
BUT NOOOOOOOO, Ridley must follow canon in every way! If we will go by this kind of logic, then he must be the strongest character in any of the SSB games since he should be able to KO anyone with any of his attacks on 0% since they can instantly kill Samus in Other M if she has only 1 energy tank while in Varia Suit (that is already impressive), take nearly no damage from anyone except for Ganondorf and Samus since he takes A LOT of missiles, super missiles, charged PLASMA BEAM shots before "dying" (he still somehow survives that) and he should not wait until enemy attacks him. So, is it a good idea to follow canon with him? Or whe should follow only a SPECIFIC PART of the canon? Either something applies to everything or it is completly ignored. No exceptions should be made.

Oh, and who wins (most of the time) in battle between Bowser (very large target) and Pichu (very small target) in Melee? Of course not Pichu, who has pathetic range, but SMALL HURTBOXES, yeah, that is important to be useful. But guess what? That doesn't helps him a lot. He is still s**t tier. While Ganondorf in the same game is high tier character despite being a large target. But since he is a large target, he is useless. Does that makes any sense? No.
Aura Storm isn't even a real move. It was made up for smash. Also, pretty much Ridley OP yeah. He can turn invincible in Other M, and he can fly, and he can instakill you and scrape you against walls and stuff. Can't be balanced around or excluded from Smash, nope, everything must be added.

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
Heavy weight with hops could be cool, not only that but if he has immense power wouldn't a larger hotbox balance things out? Not to mention if he was in the game, his tails notorious invincibility would return along with wings in the Z-Axis, making them generally unhittable
I agree, I think a larger hitbox would balance him out if he were a heavy hitter. Also I think that his tail is not an issue because they can just make it part of his animation when it is not in use while his tail CAN be hit when it is in an attack animation (like if he lunged his tail straight forward, the part that wasnt the blade could be hit by links pogo sword)

as an example of a tail not being part of the hitbox.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh snap, the Image was removed. Was it dat sirius?
....Ididn'tgettoseeit.:100:
Yes. It had something that a kid should not look at. By that, i mean gore. Blood, organs, Little Birdie and Tingle. I liked it though. Too bad it got removed...

Also, to those who thinks Ridley is an easy boss in Metroid Other M. Look at that:
After the succesful battle, look at how hard it actually is unless you are THAT D*MN GOOD to dodge everything. I know it is hard mode, but there is no differences between normal and hard mode except for the lack of energy tanks and things like that.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Yes. It had something that a kid should not look at. By that, i mean gore. Blood, organs, Little Birdie and Tingle. I liked it though. Too bad it got removed...
Haven't we had pictures like that for awhile now? It was in a spoiler, so it really is a kids choice to click on it. A warning would have been nice before so people would know not to open it...

Still, if you've been here for awhile, you'd think you'd know not to open a "Pic of the Day" if you don't like blood, gore, Chickley, and morbid deaths (which I, for one, personally like).

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I agree, I think a larger hitbox would balance him out if he were a heavy hitter. Also I think that his tail is not an issue because they can just make it part of his animation when it is not in use while his tail CAN be hit when it is in an attack animation (like if he lunged his tail straight forward, the part that wasnt the blade could be hit by links pogo sword)

as an example of a tail not being part of the hitbox.
Yea. Large hitboxes would balance out the increased range Ridley gets with his long arms and stretchy tail.

The one thing I really want to see back from the Metroid canon is Ridley's tail being invincible. I don't know why, it's just a fun little detail.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Aura Storm isn't even a real move. It was made up for smash. Also, pretty much Ridley OP yeah. He can turn invincible in Other M, and he can fly, and he can instakill you and scrape you against walls and stuff. Can't be balanced around or excluded from Smash, nope, everything must be added.
Oh...didn't knew about that...i thought it was in-name only kind of thing.
Not really invincible, it just reflects beams. I guess Ridley loses it when he loses concentration from the explosion or after he decides to remove it.
And that is still NOTHING compared to what Ganondorf and Palutena are supposed to be able to do. Former one is basicly a evil god's hatred in form of a living being while latter one is a god. But they are not THAT powerful in SSB games. No. But Ridley can't be balanced, he is too OP, he can't be resized, but he can't be OP while he is a boss though. Because if we will follow canonical size, then we should follow every other part of the canon and make him as powerful and fast as he is in Metroid games.
Haven't we had pictures like that for awhile now? It was in a spoiler, so it really is a kids choice to click on it. A warning would have been nice before so people would know not to open it...
Still, if you've been here for awhile, you'd think you'd know not to open a "Pic of the Day" if you don't like blood, gore, Chickley, and morbid deaths (which I, for one, personally like).
Yes, and they should have "Warning, inappropriate for children younger than X years, contains violance, blood and gory details" or something like that.
Not everyone have been here for a while, there may be guests that open those spoilers and see THAT.
I will miss those images...i really liked them...

Last edited:

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Man, so many new members making their first post in this thread. Reminds me of myself 355 days ago..
Guess Ridley really is a big attraction..

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Not really invincible, it just reflects beams. I guess Ridley loses it when he loses concentration from the explosion or after he decides to remove it.
And that is still NOTHING compared to what Ganondorf and Palutena are supposed to be able to do. Former one is basicly a evil god's hatred in form of a living being while latter one is a god. But they are not THAT powerful in SSB games. No. But Ridley can't be balanced, he is too OP, he can't be resized, but he can't be OP while he is a boss though. Because if we will follow canonical size, then we should follow every other part of the canon and make him as powerful and fast as he is in Metroid games.

Yes, and they should have "Warning, inappropriate for children younger than X years, contains violance, blood and gory details" or something like that.
Not everyone have been here for a while, there may be guests that open those spoilers and see THAT.
Well, they can't see attachments, so if they are uploaded it shouldn't be a problem. For the guests, at least.
But yea, name your spoilers, place signs and police tape, warning this is some funky stuff you don't want to see.

And yeah. We've got a bloody goddess among us now. In-canon power can go sod off and have a holiday.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Does this mark the end to the pic of the day? A true shame.
We could always start a PM group for Pic of the Days...

But back to Ridley and the un-canon of all of this.

Yeah, Palutena's moveset is based off of abilities and items from KI:U. Aura Storm doesn't even exist, that just goes to show you how un-canon this whole thing is.

Also, did you know that Pikachu's neutral B isn't even a Pokemon move from the games? Thunder Jolt is exclusive to the Trading Card Game. :)

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Dreamt that Ridley was announced and demoed at Gamescon, his movements were so weird, he was almost slithering his way around the stage when on the ground. Some of his ground attacks made him jump up in the air for easy follow-ups, for example his U-Smash was a diagonal headbutt that launched him up in the air, it was a weird playstyle, but I remember digging it.

...I dream too much about Ridley.
How do you even remember your dreams like that? I can barely keep ten seconds of consecutive dream in my head when I wake up.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Can someone tell me why so many people think Ridley is a secret character? Even though this has been discussed 59909098 times, I still fail to grasp it.

D

Deleted member

Man, so many new members making their first post in this thread. Reminds me of myself 355 days ago..
I don't remember my first post in this thread, I think it was about how Ridley's shadow appeared to jump in the Shadow footage or something.

I've since devolved into Shipping Ridley with everything.

A regression I never thought I would experience. :laugh:

DAMMIT SPLOUNGE WATER.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Incidentally, as long as it's spoilered, marked NSFW and kept in url form (so don't use the IMG tags) I don't personally see the problem with continuing showing your Birdley pictures @ Jeanne Jeanne as long as they're not visible on site and marked properly, I imagine it'd be fine (I'm not 100% sure on that, @ IsmaR IsmaR care to comment on the subject? You're here more than I am).

Just do something like this

url to image here

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Ooooh that was bad. :043:
Big and Bad to the :104:.

Jeanne

Smash Apprentice
Pic of the Day:

(WARNING: so profane it got a warning, keep ya kids at home.)

https://imageshack.com/i/p9ZHPZ8Vj
It's a link now to Image Shack so now you can see the rest of the ones you may have missed. Also put a profanity warning thingymajig so now ya know..

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
It amazes me to think we've cleared almost 500 pages in a month. I joined around the beginning of July, now I'm going to go back and find my first post. I've been inspired to see what I first posted...

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
Well...his big, and has wings to fly, so his gliding mechanic will be like Pit's?

I don't know...i like the idea of him coming in, but i dont like the OP kinda character (i always play Mario....and marht) so what do you guys think it can be done to balance him? and make him equal powerfull like every other character

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Well...his big, and has wings to fly, so his gliding mechanic will be like Pit's?

I don't know...i like the idea of him coming in, but i dont like the OP kinda character (i always play Mario....and marht) so what do you guys think it can be done to balance him? and make him equal powerfull like every other character
Give him bigger hitboxes and don't make him super fast, don't make him uber powerful, yet have long range.

D

Deleted member

Trash on the ground, King in the air, to put it bluntly.

With the majority of his ground set being meant to lift opponents into the air/spacing.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
It's a link now to Image Shack so now you can see the rest of the ones you may have missed. Also put a profanity warning thingymajig so now ya know..
try doing [.spoiler=Not Safe For Work / Children], then you can get your warning on the spoiler rather than outside of it. :)

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
How do you even remember your dreams like that? I can barely keep ten seconds of consecutive dream in my head when I wake up.
Wanting to recall your dream helps. Write your dreams down in a notebook or something. Don't ask me why or how but that stuff helps for reasons. Sooner or later you will start recalling more. If you want to, you could even try your hand at producing lucid dreams.
Not gonna off topic any longer. Just google it if you want to know more, all I can tell you is that it's hands down the most awesome thing you can experience, bar nothing.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKl7wSTVqA

Palutena, Rosalina, and Zelda faint at the sight of Mighty Prince Ridley!

"Prince Ridley! Handsome is he, Ali Ababwa! That physique, how can I speak! Weak at the knee... Well, get on out in that square Adjust your veil and prepare To gawk and grovel and stare at Prince Ridleeeeeey!"
Who is genie even in this picture. Also, that ain't Roidley.

Doubt he will get a gliding mechanic. Instead, we're betting on a new flying mechanic, similar to Peach's hover but longer, as possibly also aerial grabs.

Top Bottom